• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Made Red Dead Redemption A BIG DEAL?

Mojoraisin

Personal opinion - Video assumes the audience is retarded. I feel lobotomised by these slow talking, text and meme riddled clips.

The game was just fantastic. Story, graphics and just the vastness of it all. And the audio. Who will forget the guitar when crossing that border? Goosebumps .

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's my favorite Rockstar game. It's also the only Rockstar game where I didn't hate the controls or feel like I needed to adjust my play style to them. They actually felt OK, shooting included.

Last edited by a moderator:

crozier

It’s crazy immersive, from the voice-acting to the graphics to the minimalist UI. It sucks you in like a good interactive movie. The “game” without the immersion is probably a 7 in my book. The rest...I think Rockstar beat Hollywood at their own game.

Edit: Reading fail. Thought we were talking RDR2.

Last edited:
It's my favorite Rockstar game. It's also the only Rockstar game where I didn't hate the controls or feel like I needed to adjust my play style to them. They actually felt OK, shooting included.
This for the most part the controls were great despite some clunkyness and bs like tapping a to sprint(Who the fuck likes this crap? I'll tell ya who, NOBODY! At least Give us an option to toggle it! It's not going to hurt anybody.)

The shooting was also A+ since the enemies weren't 100% aimbots and they actually reacted to gun shots i.e. limping and crawling when shot in certain areas. They don't simply get up and continue on like nothing happened to them ala RDR 2

Because they're fantastic games?

i dont understand michael cohen GIF

Sejan

The Wild West is a great setting, but I didn’t care for either RDR or RDR2. I really don’t understand the love for RDR2 at all. It’s a game that actively doesn’t respect your time and goes out of its way to over complicate things that should have been simple. It’s easily my vote for most overrated game of the generation.

dezzy8

Never understood the hype for these games. They both bored me to death. Especially RDR2 with its long, drawn out animations for EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I just remember shooting to everyone with different weapons and in different spots just to see the euphoria engine at work, it was a big upgrade from the euphoria in gta4.

Personal opinion - Video assumes the audience is retarded. I feel lobotomised by these slow talking, text and meme riddled clips.

The game was just fantastic. Story, graphics and just the vastness of it all. And the audio. Who will forget the guitar when crossing that border? Goosebumps .
And the video just happens to be 10 minutes and 9 seconds. Just enough for monetization. Now you know why it's made that way. 😂

GymWolf

I didn't wanted to open a new topic for such a silly question but what is the fastest, cheapest way to play this game on a modern hardware?

I have a pc and a xone, does the xone read x360 discs? i can probably find a cheap used copy of the game for x360 right?!

Always preferred Red Dead Revolver myself :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I didn't wanted to open a new topic for such a silly question but what is the fastest, cheapest way to play this game on a modern hardware?

I have a pc and a xone, does the xone read x360 discs? i can probably find a cheap used copy of the game for x360 right?!

If it's BC then you just put the 360 disk in and the Xbox One will download the files needed. That's what it did with my copy of Bully

GymWolf

Always preferred Red Dead Revolver myself :messenger_grinning_sweat:

If it's BC then you just put the 360 disk in and the Xbox One will download the files needed. That's what it did with my copy of Bully
So a simple used copy for x360 is gonna do the trick?!

Shit, why did i sold my old copy, lol...

So a simple used copy for x360 is gonna do the trick?!

Shit, why did i sold my old copy, lol...

Pretty much. I think it just downloads the digital version and the disk acts a a key to access it whenever you want to play, so even a used one is good to go if you wanna save some pennies

GymWolf

Pretty much. I think it just downloads the digital version and the disk acts a a key to access it whenever you want to play, so even a used one is good to go if you wanna save some pennies
Do you know where i can find a cheap digital code for the x360 version?!

RDR2 was everything I ever wanted out of a truly immersive world. I'm not particularly interested in the wild west or Rockstar games, so RDR2 completely took me by surprise and ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

I was so invested in the realism and the slow methodical pace that I platinumed the game, something I never normally do.

It's definitely an outlier for me since I typically place raw gameplay over cinematic/realistic games.

Artistic

Don't remember there too much hype when it first released. Became more popular as years went on.

Not the biggest fan of the game though, then again, I had the ending spoiled for me.

GymWolf

This for the most part the controls were great despite some clunkyness and bs like tapping a to sprint(Who the fuck likes this crap? I'll tell ya who, NOBODY! At least Give us an option to toggle it! It's not going to hurt anybody.)

The shooting was also A+ since the enemies weren't 100% aimbots and they actually reacted to gun shots i.e. limping and crawling when shot in certain areas. They don't simply get up and continue on like nothing happened to them ala RDR 2
Uh? if there is something unequivocally better in rdr2 are realistic hit reactions, gore and variety of animations.
They diversified the damage you do with a pistol or a shotgun, no enemy without a leg is gonna stand up in rdr2 and they slow down when being hit by small calibers.

Onestly? since the controls and mechanics are dog shit, the only reason to enjoy the shooting in rdr2 are the hit reactions\animations\unpredictability of what can happen (like in this clip)

but i'm with you with aimbot thing.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Personal opinion - Video assumes the audience is retarded. I feel lobotomised by these slow talking

I see what you mean, but I think rapid editing is even worse. This guy for example is one of the most insufferable Youtubers...there's an edit sometimes as often as every 1-2 seconds:

Last edited:

SSfox

RDR and RDR2 are the best games made by Rockstar, i love GTA games and Max Payne 3, but RDR games are just on another level imo.

Last edited:

Excess

Both RDR's are my favorite games of all time. 100%'d them both. Always enjoy Falcon's gamer takes.

bZ7E89i.png

If you have a One X or above, you can play it in 4K. It's literally the only platform you can play it in 4K, and definitely worth it. Holds up very well.

As a kid raised on a diet of spaghetti westerns it was my dream game and it was amazing.
I did enjoy the sequel as well, but like many I was kinda bummed by the soupy controls and overly cinematic approach.

I watched and agreed with most of the video until he started bitching about the slower gunplay in RDR2 being worse because it was less "fun".

I disagree. It's less responsive, sure. It's different? Sure. Is it less fun? Maybe for you, but not for me. The more realistic feel made it more grounded for me and less like a game. It made the encounters feel more weighty and visceral and that elevated the experience for me.

I wasn't just shooting faceless NPCs in a videogame, I was a gun-toting dueller in the wild west, fighting for my life in every engagement. That to me is more fun. I don't play games like RDR2 for the COD-like responsive gunplay. The game mechanics serving the overall experience may not be for some, but to me, I applaud games for looking to branch out, take risks and take on challenges like this, and I think Rockstar wholly succeeded in creating the visceral western feel they were looking to achieve.

I loved the weighty feel of KZ2's original gunplay mechanics, for example (intentional or not). The more weighty feel made the experience feel way more grounded in reality. KZ3 moving to a more gamey level of responsiveness in its control, losing the weighty feel, made the game lose its identity, to me. And KZ: SF felt even worse.

We need to get away from "more responsive =/= more fun" as a universal axiom of games design. All games aren't trying to do or be the same thing, nor should they.

GymWolf

Both RDR's are my favorite games of all time. 100%'d them both. Always enjoy Falcon's gamer takes.

bZ7E89i.png

If you have a One X or above, you can play it in 4K. It's literally the only platform you can play it in 4K, and definitely worth it. Holds up very well.
No i don't have a xone x, just a simple one, but if i remeber well, you still kinda of an upgrade on xone since you play in 1080p and not 720p like the original x360 version

Better than nothing i guess.

Top Bottom