• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Microsoft and Nintendo has done for the consumers and the industry during this pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BouncyFrag

gcc3t.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like MS is doing more than Nintendo and Sony combined.

But nice try at a console warring thread.

oldergamer

Unless i have missed some major news it's very surprising to me that both MS and Nintendo still haven't done anything substantial during this crisis. Everyone says how much more financially powerful both MS and Nintendo are when compared to Sony yet they both seem to ignore the current situation.

On the contrary Sony has offered a lot by both giving free games to players as well as helping out indie devs.
Even outside of gaming Sony has offered a lot more than anyone else in the fight against Wuhan virus.

Do you think MS and Nintendo should also offer some free games to consumers and help small indie studios or continue with their business as usual?
Man, you couldnt be more wrong? MS was one of the first gaming companies to give away free versions of minecraft to school kids in addition to helping provide processing power to covid research.

Did you even look this up before posting, or just decided sony did more based on what, a feeling?

Last edited:
Unless i have missed some major news it's very surprising to me that both MS and Nintendo still haven't done anything substantial during this crisis. Everyone says how much more financially powerful both MS and Nintendo are when compared to Sony yet they both seem to ignore the current situation.

On the contrary Sony has offered a lot by both giving free games to players as well as helping out indie devs.
Even outside of gaming Sony has offered a lot more than anyone else in the fight against Wuhan virus.

Do you think MS and Nintendo should also offer some free games to consumers and help small indie studios or continue with their business as usual?

Indefinitely delaying TLOU 2 more than cancels out any good will Sony deserves for giving away old games.

If Sony really cares about gamers more than profits they must release TLOU 2 NOW!!

/s

kinda

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

giphy.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo

you mean like Sony keeping their agreement so not everybody could play modern warfare 2, yeah for the players lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
i think people really in need don't care about free games
i see it for what it is : take advantage of situation to get lot of positives (ads and tax exemption)
completely agree, if anybody was to do something for a good cause to be helpful why announce it to the press before? just do it and keep quiet about it

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Sounds like MS is doing more than Nintendo and Sony combined.

But nice try at a console warring thread.

Holy shit. Read through you first link and it looks like Microsoft is doing more than EVERYONE combined.

Yeah, this thread is a huge backfire.

Pallas

Glad to see the contributions from all three companies, no matter how big or small, they are all winners tbh ... but what the hell OP?

This thread is just a pile of garbage and I don’t say that lightly. I like to give the benefit of doubt but the wording you use and your blatant ignorance just makes me believe you were either trolling or a misinformed fanboy.

martino

completely agree, if anybody was to do something for a good cause to be helpful why announce it to the press before? just do it and keep quiet about it
i have not forgotten last time wealth people/corporation tried to push philanthropy crap in France (after notre drame, one year ago)
The government promises exceptional tax exemption (was up to 80 or 90% if i remember well) but it didn't pass.
Most of thoses donations then stayed promises.
But we still had lot of media covering to push the mentality and praise the samaritan (and none when they didn't deliver).
Also people need to watch existing findings of investigation of what there is behind "philantrophy" of wealthier people and corporation, they too often found things not that great.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Gamepass is the best gaming service you can get for such a time so I guess that?

Also there is no such thing as a company being charitable, it's always a marketing move, capitalism 101.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I understand why some are upset. Sony absolutely should be commended for the great contributions they made for people during COVID19.

However, no one should demand Microsoft match them. Microsoft does what they do to make as much money as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies exist to make money.

Sure, it's great there are companies like Sony that have a humanitarian policy to go above and beyond, but that's not a requirement.

So, basically, praise Sony here, but leave Microsoft and Nintendo out of the conversation. You can say nice things about someone without simultaneously insulting someone else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I understand why some are upset. Sony absolutely should be commended for the great contributions they made for people during COVID19.

However, no one should demand Microsoft match them. Microsoft does what they do to make as much money as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies exist to make money.

Sure, it's great there are companies like Sony that have a humanitarian policy to go above and beyond, but that's not a requirement.

So, basically, praise Sony here, but leave Microsoft and Nintendo out of the conversation. You can say nice things about someone without simultaneously insulting someone else.
Nice anti-MS slant post as usual.

Jerm411

Have you.......read the thread?

Kagey K

Banned
“I understand why some are upset. MIcrosoft absolutely should be commended for the great contributions they made for people during COVID19.

However, no one should demand Sony match them. Sony does what they do to make as much money as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies exist to make money.

Sure, it's great there are companies like MIcrosoft that have a humanitarian policy to go above and beyond, but that's not a requirement.

So, basically, praise Microsoft here, but leave Sony and Nintendo out of the conversation. You can say nice things about someone without simultaneously insulting someone else.”

Fixed to match the reality of the situation.

Journey

Banned
Here are some of the things Microsoft have been doing:

Free Minecraft Educational Content

Microsoft Teams supporting social distancing

Microsoft announced that they will keep paying the hourly workers who support their campus.
Amazon and Microsoft have each pledged $2.5 million, with the possibility of more, to help out those afflicted by the disease in Seattle.

Microsoft donates $56,000 to Columbia Basin Foundation COVID-19 response fund

Mixer Gifts All Partnered Streamers $100 To Help During Covid-19 Pandemic

COVID-19: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's wife donates Rs 2 crore ($261K US) to Telangana

HOLY THREAD BACKFIRE BATMAN!!

Bol0.gif

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Loving the shit OP is getting as it is rightfully deserved. This has got to be one of the dumbest threads in recent months and we have had some sad, pathetic attempts at trying to stoke fake outrage and console warring.

The game companies owe you nothing during this "time of crisis". They don't have to do a god damned thing outside of what they are supposed to do: design new hardware and release video games. Which they have all been doing.

Clearly OP is very young kid and just doesn’t understand the real world. There also might be some things lost in translation. I wouldn’t be so harsh on 13 year olds, I probably thought of a lot of dumb shit myself.

Sony is the only publisher that delayed big games out of greed (profit maximization).

Meanwhile Nintendo released the greatest anti-corona stress game. Microsoft adding GamePass games nonstop. And 3rd-parties releasing RE3 Remake, FF7 Remake and discounting lots of stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony is the only publisher that delayed big games out of greed (profit maximization).

Meanwhile Nintendo released the greatest anti-corona stress game. Microsoft adding GamePass games nonstop. And 3rd-parties releasing RE3 Remake, FF7 Remake and discounting lots of stuff.
But think of the trillions of sales Sony is losing by giving away hard hitting expensive games like Nathan Drake Collection and Journey.

pqueue

what a shitty, entitled hot take.
As already detailed above, MS has done a lot. And here locally, in the Seattle area and WA state, they have done a SHIT TON more to help with the actual pandemic that took hold in Washington before anywhere else. Helping real people that have real needs.

but "muh games" is where you go....

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Microsoft donate a lot to the thing, Nintendo donated masks

All muntinational companies are doing some kind of stuff. Some capitalize more than others and that's it

nikolino840

Phil Spencer have said that Is good that people pass the quarantine with videogames and started the shitstorm here on gaf

Bryank75

Banned
HOLY THREAD BACKFIRE BATMAN!!

Bol0.gif
Sony gave 100 million to the Covid relief fund. Were the first company to do so...

Then they gave 10 million to indie developers...

Then they gave the free games and stuff on top of that and have had other raffles and things to win more recent games.

Along with a collaboration with M3 to provide diagnosis equipment etc., online lectures and solutions to lessen the burdon on medical professionals.

Also helping with ventilator production..

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Console wars have turned to covid19 donation wars! Well hopefully this is a good thing to push all these huge companies to give as much as possible. So maybe this isn’t even as bad as console wars?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Microsoft match them? They have far exceeded them. This is meant to be a joke, right? Or was this the next move in the console war conceived in the Sony Discord.

oldergamer

Sony gave 100 million to the Covid relief fund. Were the first company to do so...

Then they gave the free games and stuff on top of that and have had other raffles and things to win more recent games.

Along with a collaboration with M3 to provide diagnosis equipment etc., online lectures and solutions to lessen the burdon on medical professionals.

It's great sony has done their part, but give credit where credit is due. MS started donating things in March. instead of just singling out sony like they are the only ones doing anything, give credit to ALL invovled!

Pallas

Yes, I've seen the outrage caused by someone saying nice things about Sony and/or PlayStation. Pretty business as usual from a select few members.

I’m not sure if you two are intentionally being obtuse or it’s just fanboyism and naturally not reading the entire thread. Everyone’s criticism isn’t what Sony has or hasn’t done, it’s what the OP tried to spin that they were the only one of the big three of the gaming industry to put any effort in helping people affected by COVID-19 which is false.

Bryank75

Banned
I’m not sure if you two are intentionally being obtuse or it’s just fanboyism and naturally not reading the entire thread. Everyone’s criticism isn’t what Sony has or hasn’t done, it’s what the OP tried to spin that they were the only one of the big three of the gaming industry to put any effort in helping people affected by COVID-19 which is false.
MSFT is worth 1.3 trillion.... what they've done seems pretty meager in relation to their capabilities....

Look at all the efforts Sony did but I will also say that Sony is an Asian company and it may be more in their interest to help and have more at stake if China doesn't get back to full strength etc.

Making this into a fight between system warriors was not the best idea.... but anyway, what's done is done.

Last edited:

Pallas

MSFT is worth 1.3 trillion.... what they've done seems pretty meager in relation to their capabilities....

Look at all the efforts Sony did but I will also say that Sony is an Asian company and it may be more in their interest to help and have more at stake if China doesn't get back to full strength etc.

I don’t care about the company worth, MS has done a lot, Nintendo has contributed as well. It’s dumb to get into a “my prefer company contributed more than yours!” Did you not read the links that was posted?

Bryank75

Banned
I don’t care about the company worth, MS has done a lot, Nintendo has contributed as well. It’s dumb to get into a “my prefer company contributed more than yours!” Did you not read the links that was posted?
Yeah it's all kinda framed in a silly way. I guess if we just take it away from the console wars for a minute... considering MSFT is worth 1.3 trillion, I would have thought they'd do a bit more. At the same time I don't know if it would have made much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom