• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Microsoft and Nintendo has done for the consumers and the industry during this pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why some are upset. Sony absolutely should be commended for the great contributions they made for people during COVID19.

However, no one should demand Microsoft match them. Microsoft does what they do to make as much money as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies exist to make money.

Sure, it's great there are companies like Sony that have a humanitarian policy to go above and beyond, but that's not a requirement.

So, basically, praise Sony here, but leave Microsoft and Nintendo out of the conversation. You can say nice things about someone without simultaneously insulting someone else.

Tha @#$%& ??!! I know you part of Delusional squad and would go 6ft under for Sonys plastic..but on this one, I really have no doubts you had some of that good ol' kush.

jts

...hate me...
Nintendo releasing Animal Crossing was pretty great, that game has consumed my life for the past 4 weeks, helping this lockdown time go much faster. Would have sucked if it had been postponed in order to get better sales in the future.

SirTerry-T

Posts like this always make me think of that one kid you get at universities...you know the one, they're usually seen wearing a Che Guevara t shirt, always the first to sign up for the student demos about a cause they have absolutely no fucking clue about...
...Or that University kid who gets arrested for defacing a statue of some political or royal figure, only to be bailed out when it turns out their daddy is the drummer out of Pink Floyd or something like that.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah it's all kinda framed in a silly way. I guess if we just take it away from the console wars for a minute... considering MSFT is worth 1.3 trillion, I would have thought they'd do a bit more. At the same time I don't know if it would have made much of a difference.
Yeah, they did the bare minimum.

They should have done more.

Maybe if they gave away The Halo MCC their contributions would have been accepted.

PocoJoe

Banned
Why everything should be turned into console war?

The whole world is in crisis right now including of course the gaming industry. Why should we be afraid to question the decision of huge companies like MS and Nintendo to mostly ignore this current situation? The same would have applied for Sony as well if they didn't do anything.
In fact if you look back at the thread for PS+ April games i had said there that both Sony and MS should have offered at least one more game in their PS+/XBLG services.

You people should stop defending multi-trillion companies when they have the power to offer at least some gesture of kindness and they choose not to.

Sony gave 3 extra games, Uncharted 1,2 and 3 remasters and Joyrney

The Shift

Banned
Sony Joyrney

HmIes6n.jpg

Praise Nippon 🇯🇵

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I understand why some are upset. Sony absolutely should be commended for the great contributions they made for people during COVID19.

However, no one should demand Microsoft match them. Microsoft does what they do to make as much money as possible and there's nothing wrong with that. Companies exist to make money.

Sure, it's great there are companies like Sony that have a humanitarian policy to go above and beyond, but that's not a requirement.

So, basically, praise Sony here, but leave Microsoft and Nintendo out of the conversation. You can say nice things about someone without simultaneously insulting someone else.
This is why I dont reply to console war threads anymore.

Unless i have missed some major news it's very surprising to me that both MS and Nintendo still haven't done anything substantial during this crisis. Everyone says how much more financially powerful both MS and Nintendo are when compared to Sony yet they both seem to ignore the current situation.

On the contrary Sony has offered a lot by both giving free games to players as well as helping out indie devs.
Even outside of gaming Sony has offered a lot more than anyone else in the fight against Wuhan virus.

Do you think MS and Nintendo should also offer some free games to consumers and help small indie studios or continue with their business as usual?

Who cares about games that everyone already has. If Sony have given away the wipeout collection, Tear Away, Gravity rush...then maybe I would have cared. But no, they gave away the set of games that everyone has either played or has no interest in. Sony giving away the Uncharted collection is like McDs giving away napkins.

Sony even lowered the speed of psn. That was not necessary. Its not a problem over the school holidays or Xmas.

Not everyone makes public about how they help out or donate. I see it as bragging and no different to when people record themselves helping someone. Youre clearly doing it to make yourself look good.

Last edited:
Let’s not turn Sony’s kindness into console war.

Or expect that kindness should be mandatory. As someone said, that’s a very Reset attitude.

yeah.... but discrediting someone’s opinion based on it being ‘reset attitude’ is just as bad as the reset attitude in the first place. Educate and discuss don’t discredit and dismiss.

Brofist

So giving away a few cheap games is 'doing something' now?

Epic has been giving away free games each week since the start of their launcher. I guess Epic is the best company that has ever existed now.

Lately even more than that. But those are PC games so they probably don't count.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Unless i have missed some major news it's very surprising to me that both MS and Nintendo still haven't done anything substantial during this crisis. Everyone says how much more financially powerful both MS and Nintendo are when compared to Sony yet they both seem to ignore the current situation.

On the contrary Sony has offered a lot by both giving free games to players as well as helping out indie devs.
Even outside of gaming Sony has offered a lot more than anyone else in the fight against Wuhan virus.

Do you think MS and Nintendo should also offer some free games to consumers and help small indie studios or continue with their business as usual?

160,000 people dead and thousands more dying every day.

sublimit sublimit : I think we should all get free video games at this trying time.

Shit, dude, I love getting free stuff as much as the next person but this is not the time or the place to be throwing shade at companies for not giving away free video games.

Also why just the "big 3"? Surely you could make the same request of Ubisoft or EA or Bethesda etc?

In any case, "the world is going to shit so we should all get free games" is such a bratty, spoiled child, take. Get a grip.

I'm sure people would rather have free food or accommodation or masks or hand soap etc right now.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Using this crisis for the console war is pretty sad if you ask me.

I think the fact that most of us are simply being asked to just stay home and only go out when absolutely necessary has created a warped sense of perspective.

It's easy to end up thinking of it as just a break from school or work where you get to play tons of video games and just take it easy for a few weeks.

So sure it would be awesome to get a free game here and there to save us from, gasp, replaying old games but just thinking that way shows how people have lost sight of what's actually going on out there right now.

Mista

Banned
Maybe do your research next time? I was about to link everything they've been doing but my homie here CatLady CatLady saved me time. So thank you

Here are some of the things Microsoft have been doing:

Free Minecraft Educational Content

Microsoft Teams supporting social distancing

Microsoft announced that they will keep paying the hourly workers who support their campus.
Amazon and Microsoft have each pledged $2.5 million, with the possibility of more, to help out those afflicted by the disease in Seattle.

Microsoft donates $56,000 to Columbia Basin Foundation COVID-19 response fund

Mixer Gifts All Partnered Streamers $100 To Help During Covid-19 Pandemic

COVID-19: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's wife donates Rs 2 crore ($261K US) to Telangana

Impotaku

In one of the big earthquakes quite a while back Nintendo gave away a load of DS bundles with the DS TV onseg adapter so people could still have access to the emergency tv stations.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, double down on your shithead position by ignoring how terrible the thread is and asking everyone rightfully dogpiling this bullshit to justify their opinion, despite you having zero context for their personal or financial circumstances.

Give it a fucking rest dude.

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure I have the same position as you.

IF someone, individual or company, chooses to give to any cause that should be commended, but it should not be demanded that anyone MUST do so or match them dollar for dollar.

Do you feel differently?

SegaShack

Why everything should be turned into console war?

The whole world is in crisis right now including of course the gaming industry. Why should we be afraid to question the decision of huge companies like MS and Nintendo to mostly ignore this current situation? The same would have applied for Sony as well if they didn't do anything.
In fact if you look back at the thread for PS+ April games i had said there that both Sony and MS should have offered at least one more game in their PS+/XBLG services.

You people should stop defending multi-trillion companies when they have the power to offer at least some gesture of kindness and they choose not to.

Go to Ebay or Gamestop's website and buy some games from a couple years back for cheap instead of waiting for and expecting free stuff.

Most AAA games from a few years back will be less than 10 dollars used.

Everyone enjoys entertainment and it's nice when companies give stuff away, but you cant have that as an expectation. There are way more important things going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom