• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What some viewers think streamers do VS. What streamers REALLY do.

DESTROYA

Personally I think watching streams of someone else playing games is a waste of time when you can be gaming yourself.
I could see learning new techniques or trying a different play style or maybe watching some pros in high level competition but just sitting and watching some random dude or chick playing games is pointless.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone could make a video like this about their days. People who have to actually go in to work have to deal with traffic, snow, bringing some shitty lunch day-to-day, emails after they get home, a boss riding their ass, ect. And to me, that sounds much fucking worse than being comfy at home all day with complete choice on how much you put into the job.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah. Life's hard for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing against the streamer doing this, mind you. Everyone needs to vent about their struggles, big or small, at times, publicly or privately. This is their way, and there's nothing wrong with it. I tell my friends how tired I am all the time. It makes you feel better, in a way 😑

One thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is some of the adoring, massively hyperbolic replies to that tweet, like it was some sort of incredible revelation that deserves to be showered with unrestrained praise.

This reinforces my impression. Most of the streamers I know are great people. On the other hand, some among their audience could use a bit of restraint. But hey, whatever makes everyone feel good. Positivity isn't bad, even if exaggerated, as long as it doesn't get super-creepy.

On the other hand, some of the comments here could use some restraint as well, especially those mentioning the usual "get a real job" adage. The whole point is that she has one (you really couldn't watch this for more than 48 seconds before hitting that keyboard, could you?) and it's objectively pretty taxing to juggle that and streaming regularly at the same time. Often times when I'm done with work I'm so tired that I don't have the energy to play games, let alone deal with an audience. Sure. It's her choice, but this doesn't mean that she deserves this kind of negativity. 🤔 As a matter of fact, you pretty much proved her point, you know?

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
So she puts a fair amount of hours into it, is often tired, does chores and has a private life.............. like pretty much every other self sufficient adult?

Compared to other jobs that's a fucking joke though.

I'm a building engineer for a hotel meaning I have e everything from paperwork, to manual labor like plunging a toilet or replacing a venturi on a rooftop unit when it's 20 degrees outside, to making sure our pool meets state board of health guidelines, to knowing the physics of how the chiller works, to telling the sales depth they can't have an enclosed tent outside for a client because it would require us to have a sprinkler system in to meet code and a whole lot of other shit. I'd love to stay home and stream. That's a fucking fake life right there. And despite how much of a pain my job is there are millions of people who have jobs way worse.

Streaming is a lazy man's job that can dissapear faster than they know and isn't something to depend on for 99% of them.

Streamers won't be around forever though. They only exist for a generation of people growing up mindlessly watching someone do absolutely nothing. Streamers exist only for those kids that their parents let them have smart phones at too young of an age and grew up over stimulated and can't think by themselves so they constantly have to be listening to or watching something that doesn't make them actually think.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Personally I think watching streams of someone else playing games is a waste of time when you can be gaming yourself.
I could see learning new techniques or trying a different play style or maybe watching some pros in high level competition but just sitting and watching some random dude or chick playing games is pointless.

Yep. I've never understood the appeal and I probably never will.

Karak

I have logged, pulled green chain, planted trees, trained MMA, and taught MMA for 14 hours a day, worked 300+ days in a row in emergency situations.
And streamer is a real job. Full stop. Sometimes harder than others in fact, sometimes not.
If you are saying it's not that's on you. Just as a writer is a real job, and an editor, a movie editor, a beats maker.
Someone made a video about their backend like anyone else. It happens and even the making of a BTS video like that can be helpful to show what you do. Just like the thousands of other BTS stuff we have seen for other jobs that can have a weird appearance versus the reality.

Last edited:

Old Retro

And...should I be feeling something? Empathy? Pity? Envy?

I got nothing. Not suggesting it isn’t easy, but there are far worse daily routines than that.

Right?!?! God forbid this woman gets a job as a 3rd shift ER nurse or her boyfriend/husband there comes home beat ass tired from a daily routine of being a firefighter. Not saying it's a bad gig. If you can make a living out of streaming, more power to ya.

*starts grind*

I don't normally watch streams but high level sim racing streams have appeared on my algorithm and they're actually a really good watch, still wouldn't donate a penny, though.

Moogle11

Banned
I have logged, pulled green chain, planted trees, trained MMA, and taught MMA for 14 hours a day, worked 300+ days in a row in emergency situations.
And streamer is a real job. Full stop. Sometimes harder than others in fact, sometimes not.
If you are saying it's not that's on you. Just as a writer is a real job, and an editor, a movie editor, a beats maker.
Someone made a video about their backend like anyone else. It happens and even the making of a BTS video like that can be helpful to show what you do. Just like the thousands of other BTS stuff we have seen for other jobs that can have a weird appearance versus the reality.

Agreed.

Out side of salary and how bosses and coworkers treat you, a lot of what makes a job “hard” is just whether it’s a good fit for the person who has it. Some people are miserable and exhausted all the time if they had a demanding manual labor job. Others are athletic and enjoy physical labor and would be miserable at a desk job. Some would love staying home and streaming games, otherwise would be miserable from having to be “on” and social, get sick of gaming so much etc.

People just need to be better about figuring out what type of work they want to do before they make life decisions that make it hard to make a change as they have debts to pay and families to support

And I’m not saying that “do what you love” type of BS as most people aren’t going to get a decent income doing something that they love. I just mean find something you can get paid decent enough to do something you at least aren’t dreading daily.

I have a lot of well-paid friends and colleagues who are just miserable in white-collar jobs as they’re working long hours and the money doesn’t go as far as it should as cost of living is crazy in their city and having six-figure student loan debt to get the degrees to land those jobs. A lot of them would probably be happier if they’d became an electrician or plumber or nurse etc. and lived in a smaller city/town as those jobs are in demand and the pay to cost of living (and student loan debt) ratios are better and allow for a higher standard of living. And vice versa as their are plenty of people in those jobs who hate them and wish they had a desk job.

Other than objective issues like pay vs cost of living and work conditions it’s all about fit.

Griffon

Ugh this video...
giphy.gif

DESTROYA

So what’s your Twitch channel?

nemiroff

Gold Member

That's not what in itself is appealing to most people though. The best streamers creates additional content and "moments", and adds value in the interaction with viewers. Also chat interactions is an appeal if you have a good community. I mean, you could also ask why people are discussing videogames on gaf instead of playing then.. But this would also be unfair, because it's not that simple.
With that said, the only gaming stream I watch is DrDisrespect. My only other favourites are a couple of tech streams (like Barnacules) and creative streams (like Dandidoesit and Atomic Twins).

Last edited:

i_karan

Neo Member
As far as streaming goes, I would watch someone like Karak because I would like to see more content from the guy, but someone who only streams? Not really.

There was a thread with favourite youtubers, and I would like to watch their streams: Karak, Matthematossis, Super Bunnyhop, Noah Calldwel-Gervais, Joseph Anderson, but only because I wold like more content from them.

Watching someone just playing the game all day, or even worse, just one game-not my cup of the.
But to those who can stream/watch all day-more power to you.

Enjay

Banned
One thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is some of the adoring, massively hyperbolic replies to that tweet, like it was some sort of incredible revelation that deserves to be showered with unrestrained praise.

This reinforces my impression. Most of the streamers I know are great people. On the other hand, some among their audience could use a bit of restraint. But hey, whatever makes everyone feel good. Positivity isn't bad, even if exaggerated, as long as it doesn't get super-creepy.

On the other hand, some of the comments here could use some restraint as well, especially those mentioning the usual "get a real job" adage.
There is balance in the universe lol.

VMotives

Banned
This video is not it. Nothing about it is it. Delete this thread. Being a streamer is not a job, or hard work at all. Especially being a cute or hot girl compared to a man. Gtfo

Last edited:

God Enel

Funny thing is. She has a real job (in the vid apparently) Just stop streaming if life is too exhausting. If you truly love what you do, ie streaming you wouldn’t complain about it. if you’re in for the money, yes that’s work,.. like everything else. To stay in touch with your fan base, delivering new content and feeding your viewers. You have to stay relevant. That’s part of the streaming-game nowadays.

In this case god didn’t give you enough tits. So you have to actually work and bring new content to the table to be a successful streamer 😄

Kagey K

Banned
I feel like we could make a “What a Grocery store clerk,“ or what anybody else that has a fucking life can make the same video.

Jesus they call it work for a reason, and if you don’t like it the train is rolling on without you.

Last edited:
I feel like we could make a “What a Grocery store clerk,“ or what anybody else that has a fucking life can make the same video.

Jesus they call it work for a reason, and if you don’t like it the train is rolling on without you.

Which I think is the point. Steaming is work. Anything you HAVE to do or else you can't pay your rent is going to feel like a burden at times. Not that you can't enjoy the work, but making a hobby into an obligation also makes it no longer just a hobby.

sunnysideup

Banned
I start my truck 5 in the morning , haul my way to the construction site. Work hard all day carrying equpment that weighs hundreds of kg. Then i hurry home hoping i wont get stuck in traffic..to get my kids of daycare.

I aint complaining... but i aint got no sympathy for a clown.

Last edited:

T8SC

Wow her life looks really hard. It's a shame she can't go & get a regular job to alleviate the stress of gaming on a webcam.

Top Bottom