• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What some viewers think streamers do VS. What streamers REALLY do.

RealGassy

Banned
Bitch please. Getting paid to play games?
Am I supposed to feel sympathy?
That's not how streaming works.
You do not get "paid money to play games".

It's like saying a "Game Tester" is getting paid money to play games.
Just like being a "Games Tester" is a pretty shitty job, being a streamer is shitty, depressing job too (in my book).

Yes, I know, there are plenty of way more shitty jobs, but that isn't the point.
The point is that it's a job, one that apparently many people here think they'd enjoy. (or it's way better than the one they have)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Something about making a video about how streaming video is hard just seems insincere. This isn't a video about who the streamer really is, just another act.

That said, I have zero doubt being a streamer is a tough ass career. I couldn't do for the massive time commitment alone, not to mention being on camera so much.

Last edited:

MilkLizard

Not going to downplay her hustle, if people are willing to pay you for streaming games, by all means, go get that money.

But yeah, people have shit to do between working hours. Big news :messenger_pensive:

joe_zazen

Yeah. Life's hard for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing against the streamer doing this, mind you. Everyone needs to vent about their struggles, big or small, at times, publicly or privately. This is their way, and there's nothing wrong with it. I tell my friends how tired I am all the time. It makes you feel better, in a way 😑

One thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is some of the adoring, massively hyperbolic replies to that tweet, like it was some sort of incredible revelation that deserves to be showered with unrestrained praise.

This reinforces my impression. Most of the streamers I know are great people. On the other hand, some among their audience could use a bit of restraint. But hey, whatever makes everyone feel good. Positivity isn't bad, even if exaggerated, as long as it doesn't get super-creepy.

On the other hand, some of the comments here could use some restraint as well, especially those mentioning the usual "get a real job" adage. The whole point is that she has one (you really couldn't watch this for more than 48 seconds before hitting that keyboard, could you?) and it's objectively pretty taxing to juggle that and streaming regularly at the same time. Often times when I'm done with work I'm so tired that I don't have the energy to play games, let alone deal with an audience. Sure. It's her choice, but this doesn't mean that she deserves this kind of negativity. 🤔 As a matter of fact, you pretty much proved her point, you know?

communities that are all negative or all positive are pretty annoying because you either get dragged down or you have to pretend shit doesn't stink.

That's not what in itself is appealing to most people though. The best streamers creates additional content and "moments", and adds value in the interaction with viewers. Also chat interactions is an appeal if you have a good community. I mean, you could also ask why people are discussing videogames on gaf instead of playing then.. But this would also be unfair, because it's not that simple.
With that said, the only gaming stream I watch is DrDisrespect. My only other favourites are a couple of tech streams (like Barnacules) and creative streams (like Dandidoesit and Atomic Twins).

they do provide a service for people who need human contact, even if it is a simulacrum. The only thing that is distasteful is using that to ask for money, but people do much worse things for money.

Psykodad

Banned
Looks like people seem to overlook the fact that she actually has a fulltime job and does streaming on the side.
Add (non-viewers) to the caption and some of you guys literally proof the point she's making. Lol

But yh, everybody has their own shit to deal with, so it's nothing special.

How much support us poor people with shitty jobs, kids and such, working our asses of for minimum wage, would get if we tweeted our daily routines?

Answer: not even close...

Keihart

I will cite the wise words of Aris, try to avoid making it feel like a job.

I mean, i'm pretty sure you can do it like a job and get burn out eventually. But there are the ones that have been on it for years and still happy, those ones who enjoy it and would still do it, albeit not full time, even without getting paid.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't know she had to make dinner, like who else does that??? Or showering, I hope poor girl isn't forced doing it very often.

She should find some easier work, like construction, working in the mine, or maybe in some factory working in 3 shifts?

Reactions: Fuz

njean777

I don't think we should be comparing, I teach fitness classes and swimming lessons which is really physical. I still think mentally wise streaming is hard, and I watch a select few that do it. Plus I try to do it a little on the side when I have time. To each their own is what I say. Not everybody is meant to work 100+ hours a week, and nobody should have to either in order to live. IF you do thats great, but don't throw it in everybody's face like you deserve a cookie or something.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
That didn’t seem too bad. She has a full time job and also streams. That’s like having a part time job on top of her regular job. It’s understandable why she may be tired some days. A lot of adults have busy work schedules and are tired regularly.

She can do it from home and it’s just playing video games. Things could be worse. If she actually likes playing games even better. If not she can always drop it since she has a regular job.

zcaa0g

Banned
I don't despise the streamers, only the morons that spend way too much time watching them. Sometimes "get a life" does apply and that scenario is one of them.

HeadsUp7Up

Man some of you are really going through life with a cynical, shitty filter. All she did was show what the typical person thinks streaming is versus all the other obligations and back end work that goes into it. Some folks can’t wait to jump on the neg train and take a dump over everything. I didn’t get a woe is me vibe, just that there’s always more to something than it seems.

Hell, we could all do one of these for each of our daily lives but streaming is a popular past time that a lot of people enjoy. It’s just pulling back the curtain a little bit in a short and simple video.

RealGassy

Banned
As long as the streamer has a decent following, they will make money for playing games.
You're saying "as long as the streamer has a decent following" as if that's a small minor detail, the easy part.
Twitch is full of streamers who have no audience or audience so small they make a small fraction of the minimum wage.
Every other kid has a streaming "setup".

Having a following, building it, growing it, maintaining it - is the job.

There are very few people who can just "show up" on Twitch and get paid for "playing games" and make a living wage off it without grinding for it long hours consistently for a long time (years?) - without any real pay, before they have any sort of following built up.

And even when you have reached the "minimum wage" point, you still have to show up and stream every day 8hrs, consistently at the right time, the right game (which is in demand) and so on.

It's so fucking far from "getting paid for playing games". Because that's not where the money comes from, it comes from the audience and the eyeballs, and donations and internaction.

It's a fucking job, and a shitty, depressing one at that.

Exceptional Esports gamers maybe can just "show up", everyone else? Nope.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
You're saying "as long as the streamer has a decent following" as if that's a small minor detail, the easy part.
Twitch is full of streamers who have no audience or audience so small they make a small fraction of the minimum wage.
Every other kid has a streaming "setup".

Having a following, building it, growing it, maintaining it - is the job.

There are very few people who can just "show up" on Twitch and get paid for "playing games" and make a living wage off it without grinding for it long hours consistently for a long time (years?) - without any real pay, before they have any sort of following built up.

And even when you have reached the "minimum wage" point, you still have to show up and stream every day 8hrs, consistently at the right time, the right game (which is in demand) and so on.

It's so fucking far from "getting paid for playing games". Because that's not where the money comes from, it comes from the audience and the eyeballs, and donations and internaction.

It's a fucking job, and a shitty, depressing one at that.

Exceptional Esports gamers maybe can just "show up", everyone else? Nope.
She obviously has enough of a following to be making some money otherwise this thread probably wouldn't exist.

She plays games. It brings her money.

I'm not wrong. I didn't say it isn't time consuming.

Top Bottom