• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to play while waiting for Starfield

Drizzlehell

Banned
If you're anything like me, your knickers are probably flying off your hips at the mere thought of playing Starfield. Which means that in anticipation of the release of this game, you may want to look for something to fill the time and maybe scratch that itch of space exploration and combat.

I have a couple of my own suggestions but if you want to recommend some other, lesser known titles then knock yourself out!

1. The Outer Worlds
The_Outer_Worlds_cover_art.png

This will probably be the first result in Google if you search for something like "Fallout 4 in space." It's a pretty respectable action RPG that definitely resembles previous Bethesda RPGs the most, although its scope is much, much smaller than anything that we can probably expect out of Starfield. Plus there's no space combat. Nevertheless, it's a pretty solid action game overall. What falters it in my opinion is the story, which was so forgettable that I genuinely struggle to remember what happened in the game after I completed its first major hub area. Still, I enjoyed its gameplay and unique style which also somewhat reminded me of the show Firefly. The shipmates/companions is what contributes to that vibe the most, and as we all know, it's not about the journey - it's about the friends you make along the way.

2. Elite Dangerous
EGS_EliteDangerous_FrontierDevelopments_S2-1200x1600-112c98adf1ae07b058feb140a08e3872.jpg

If you don't mind the fact that it's a sandbox game in the purest sense of the word, meaning that there's literally no overarching plot or characters to speak of, and the only stories that you can get out of the game are the ones that you can write yourself while adventuring through space, then this will be the perfect game to fill the void. It's presentation is still stunning, even after close to 9 years since the official release, and I could sit here for hours recounting all the amazing things that I managed to discover during one of the hundreds of hours that I spent flying around the Milky Way. And with the release of the Odyssey expansion, it's finally a complete space sandbox game that I always wanted it to be, featuring spaceship, vehicular, and on-foot locomotion and combat, and a bunch of different activities and professions that you can engage with. It's got a great potential for emergent gameplay and it's a perfect game to chill out to, especially if you can play it with a proper HOTAS controls and VR setup.

3. Subnautica
Subnautica_cover_art.png

I mean, ocean depths are practically like the void of outer space, right? At least it's a game that managed to satiate my thirst for exploration of the unknown, and the overall sci-fi vibe does make the comparison even more appropriate in my opinion. Plus it's a really fun game.

nowhat

Missing option...

Skyrim! There will always be a re-release on whatever platform you prefer. As an added bonus, it will feature some of the bugs that have been present since launch. But now there's fishing!

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Any of the Earth Defense Force games should at least prepare you for the massive amount of bugs you are going to face in Starfield 😂😉. No but for real, revisit Fallout maybe? Maybe even one of the Elder Scrolls games. Don’t burn yourself out on them before hand though.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Jeez for me I’ll be rushing just to get through Diablo IV, Final Fantasy XVI, and Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed. This summer is packed

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
FTL. But there is a risk that if you do you will not play starfield because you will spend a few hundred hours in it. For me Armored Core 6 will be first. Then depending on their respectives states Spiderman 2 or Starfield. I hope that the game will be in a good state by then. I fear microtransactions for it, I don't know why.

I'm just playing small campaigns that I have on backlog.
Don't want to get into anything too deep prior to Starfield. I have a feeling I am going to be stuck playing it for quite some time. I may come up for air and to play a little Forza before I head back out to space.

Gandih42

256px-Fl_box.jpg

It's pretty old at this point and everything outside of flying in space is just menus. But to me the visuals, gameplay, and story hold up pretty well. Could be a nice slightly more lo-fi distraction.

If I had the time I'd really love to replay Outer Worlds and do the DLCs. But I'm already playing Octopath 2 and ToTK, not anywhere near finishing, and FFXVI coming out in just over a week. RIP.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm busy playing SF6 and soon Final Fantasy XVI, already have Diablo IV on my backlog, Starfield will have to wait a bit, I'm likely to give it a few hours to gauge how good the game is, of course if the game turns out to be great I might consider playing it on it launch window.

Guilty_AI

this game is so sick and will make you feel like a brainlet
And will show you the true role playing experience of getting ganged up on, beaten and locked up in prison at the first 5 minutes of a new game cause you thought would be funny to intimidate some random poor fool.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Obviously there is a plethora of great games to keep all of us occupied until early September.

As always I'll be playing Battlefield, Halo, Forza Horizon and Super Mega Baseball!

I'm going to try and finish Tears of the Kingdom by end of Summer.

I'll also be playing Age of Wonders 4 and The Crew 2 on PS5.

I'm playing Hi Fi Rush and State of Decay 2 right now. Then I'll move on to Grounded and hopefully be able to finish that before early access for Starfield on September 1st.

I almost forgot that Age of Empires and Everspace are supposed to release on console this Summer too!

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
outer worlds is hot garbage, I woudlnt bother unless you really want to play a space game for the sake of it.

Elite dangerous is the best space sim there is imho.

Last edited:
I just finished my first Skyrim playthrough in preperation for it. By finished I mean dabbled a bit. 70 hrs spent but more than half the game is still remaining.

Now I am gonna start Witcher 3 or Wasteland 3. I can recommend any of these.

nowhat

Outer Wilds for the quality
I was about to reply with "what the hell are you smoking, also don't bogart it", but then realized, yes, I agree. Outer Wilds is incredible. Outer Worlds OTOH...

It's such an unfortunate accident that the names are so similar and both games were released quite close to each other. I think Outer Wilds would have been even more appreciated and popular with a different name. But that's not a fault of the devs, just bad luck.

Davevil

256px-Fl_box.jpg

It's pretty old at this point and everything outside of flying in space is just menus. But to me the visuals, gameplay, and story hold up pretty well. Could be a nice slightly more lo-fi distraction.

If I had the time I'd really love to replay Outer Worlds and do the DLCs. But I'm already playing Octopath 2 and ToTK, not anywhere near finishing, and FFXVI coming out in just over a week. RIP.
my-man.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a lot of games between now and then to keep me occupied, but if there is a slow period, I've got Fallout 4 GoTY edition lined up.

Never played any of the DLC so it's a lot of new things for me.

Top Bottom