• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Who else is going to land at random amazing places on Earth in hope of finding ruins of famous landmarks? The first place I'm going to check out is Giza. Let's hope pyramids survived whatever happened to our planet.

FyjdmN6WAAE5PRB.jpg:large

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Game(S) ?

Only Skyrim had this issue.

Nope, Fallout games were even worse (in particular when it comes to crashes, but they had issues with performance tied to save file size too, having autosave on is not recommended). Only Oblivion was fine.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Nope, Fallout games were even worse (in particular when it comes to crashes, but they had issues with performance tied to save file size too, having autosave on is not recommended). Only Oblivion was fine.

Yeah i guess so man. Skyrim was the only PS3 game of theirs that I played. But I hadnt heard about performance and crashes in Fallout 3 Ps3.
But I looked it up and ur right so yea.

On another note

Mephisto40

Not at all. Millions of people around the world have finished Bethesda RPGs. Has a Bethesda RPG ever crashed on me? Of course. Does goofy stuff happen every now and then, yes. But the overall experience is still great. I completed Morrowind back in the day without any patches/updates.
Just because it's "worked" for you doesn't mean everybody that has had an issue is a "Playstation fanboy" and the issues don't exist, as you put it

Ulysses 31

Who else is going to land at random amazing places on Earth in hope of finding ruins of famous landmarks? The first place I'm going to check out is Giza. Let's hope pyramids survived whatever happened to our planet.

Won't be surprised if they sneak in a Halo ring or an inactive Doom portal somewhere in the game. :messenger_winking_tongue:

the shard skyscraper from london is in the game. it's the tallest building in west eu

euz8vl.jpeg

the-shard.jpg

Last edited:
I'm ALMOST tempted to get a series X for this game (don't have gaming pc)

But I have been hyped to get the Quest 3 and that's out October and I can't get both :(
Have a PS5 so looks like I'll not be playing Starfield anytime soon..... RIP

But I have been hyped to get the Quest 3 and that's out October and I can't get both :(
do it.

you'll get more use out the Series X than a headset lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I can only speak for myself but as someone with all consoles + pretty decent PC with 4090... I'd say: don't buy VR. It gets old QUICK. I had Quest and yeah when I first used it, it blew my mind. But after a few weeks I unplugged it and never used it again. It was collecting dust so finally I sold it.

So get a Series X or wait to see if Starfield works on Steam Deck and grab that. Steam Deck is actually the most amazing gaming hardware I've ever owned.

I'd do it. I have a PS5 but got one last week, along with GPU and it's great.

Especially if it's between that and VR, which for almost everyone is great for a week or two and then is a dust collector.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Wait, what the fuck? Earth is in this game? And it's some post-apocalyptic hellhole?

Holy shit, my mind is blown. I had no idea.

One more reason why this is going to be better than Elite - at least in Starfield I won't have to grind for 500 hours in order to get permission to even enter the Solar System, let alone orbit around Earth, lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is this confirmed? Or are these just easter eggs? Because it's a pretty fucking big story spoiler if it's the former...

Yes, the entire solar system is explorable. It was confirmed in countless interviews with the devs. Solar system is referred to as "the old neighborhood" in the game. We even seen official footage of Earth, Moon, Mars, and Europa. And yeah, judging by how St. Louis looks in the footage from Direct, Earth is a wasteland. What happened to it? We don't know. Solar activity? Climate change? Cosmic impact?

twilo99

Get a used series x and save some $$

Chukhopops

Will there be more meltdowns on gaf if mc is sub 90 or above 90?
Fallout 4 was 87 and it’s one of my favorite games of last gen. Unless it’s somehow under 80 I won’t really give a fuck about the score.

The discussion will turn to shit anyway because of the Eurogamer controversy.

timothet

Yes, the entire solar system is explorable. It was confirmed in countless interviews with the devs. Solar system is referred to as "the old neighborhood" in the game. We even seen official footage of Earth, Moon, Mars, and Europa. And yeah, judging by how St. Louis looks in the footage from Direct, Earth is a wasteland. What happened to it? We don't know. Solar activity? Climate change? Cosmic impact?
My guess would be that Earth's core stopped spinning which in result removed magnetosphere around it and left it unprotected against solar flares. Planet baked and is now sandy hellhole.

i'm excited for the game but the similarities to No Man's Sky is making me worried. Not that it's a bad game but I just tried so many times to get into it and I couldn't. To be fair this does look a lot better than NMS. It doesn't look silly as fuck but more realistic and seems to be more focused on RPG/adventure with an actual story. maybe this is the game that I wanted NMS to be.

Filben

Nope, Fallout games were even worse (in particular when it comes to crashes, but they had issues with performance tied to save file size too, having autosave on is not recommended).
Yes, after constant crashes on my PC I decided, back then, to take the visual and fps hit and bought the PS3 version, thought "okay, console games are known for their stability". Boy I was wrong. No other PS3 I've played crashed that often. Now with the loading times thrice the time as on PC, I dropped the PS3 version as well and gave up on the games. Until very later when Viva New Vegas started to exist and I could finally enjoy and finish the game on PC. Almost a decade after its first release.

Don't know what you're on about.

Other points of interest on Earth are already confirmed.

Can't talk about it without going into spoiler territory.
I'm sure they will have some cool stuff. I'd also bet that it is very limited and on-rails as far as Earth landmarks are concerned. There is no way you input a latitude and longitude and are taken anywhere on Earth you want to go, and definitely won't see all the landmarks that should be there or anything. Probably a dozen or so they handcrafted around the areas of interest in the playable spaces on Earth.

And I've seen no spoilers and maybe I'm completely wrong. Not trying to shit in the punch bowl either. Just saying that some of these post don't really seem to consider the full scope of what would be required for some of their expectations in this game to be met.

DaGwaphics

Pretty cool that they actually included the planets/solar system. I had figured it would just be something explained as part of the games lore (apparently there is a museum where the information is provided in detail).

Krathoon

I seems like the Arch is all that is left of St. Louis. What the hell happened? Wiped out the whole city and St. Louis is pretty damn big.

timothet

Starfield™️. Powered by Google Maps.
Microsoft owns Bethesda now, so powered by Bing maps :messenger_beaming:. The same as Flight Simulator.
I seems like the Arch is all that is left of St. Louis. What the hell happened? Wiped out the whole city and St. Louis is pretty damn big.
From what we have seen so far, it looks like it's not only St. Louis but whole Earth is just sand and rocks.

Krathoon

Microsoft owns Bethesda now, so powered by Bing maps :messenger_beaming:. The same as Flight Simulator.

From what we have seen so far, it looks like it's not only St. Louis but whole Earth is just sand and rocks.
Yeah. Even the Mississippi River is gone. The Arch is right on the river.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I was going to post the Polygon article but I pretty much don't want to give them any clicks. They're ther trash.

GameSpot is not much better but at least they're not polygon so here's a similar article about the same subject and talks about a Jesuit priest to help with the game.

Starfield's Story Is About Religion, God, And Questioning The Nature Of The Universe

Bethesda worked with a former employee who is now becoming a Jesuit priest to write one of the game's religions.

Starfield's lead designer has commented on the game's story and how it delves into existentialism and religion in some capacities. Emil Pagliarulo said in an interview with Polygon that Starfield's story will dig into the "more theological aspects" of exploring space and the questions humanity has about our place in the universe.

"The real high level of the story is like, 'Are we alone in the universe in one place?'" Pagliarulo said.

Delving into the question of the meaning of the universe could sound "pretty heady," Pagliarulo said, but that's what Starfield is going for. "We kind of go there a little bit, we get into some pretty existential stuff in the main story," he said.

Pagliarulo went on to say that Starfield might be similar to Christopher Nolan's sci-fi movie Interstellar in this way. It's a movie about space travel, but it's a lot more than that, too.

Both Pagliarulo and game director Todd Howard grew up in religious settings, Pagliarulo said, and Starfield will represent both atheist and agnostic viewpoints.

"There's the atheist view, there's the more agnostic, religious view, but we don't answer that question for the player. We don't say what's out there or what's causing their thing--it's open to interpretation," Pagliarulo said. "Players have gotten other things before, the science, the exploration, meeting the alien race that wants to invade. Those are all great. I love all those things. But we wanted to know if we could tackle a bit of a larger story in a game, something that one of these great movies accomplished."

Starfield has two religions--the Sanctum Universum is a religion that believes humans travelling through the universe is a sign that God exists. The other religion in Starfield is called the Enlightened, and they are an atheist church that believes there is no theology involved in what's happening in their world.

"[Religion] was a way to talk about these big concepts but not dive too far down the rabbit hole--you don't want to offend people," Pagliarulo said.

Bethesda consulted with Shane Liesegang, who wrote for Skyrim and Fallout before leaving to become a Jesuit priest, to create and write the religions in Starfield.

Starfield releases on August 31 for the Constellation Edition and for people buying the $35 upgrade. For everyone else, it unlocks starting on September 5. For more, check out GameSpot's run of Starfield's launch times and how to start playing as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom