• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of games are better on consoles?

Physiocrat

I currently have a decent PC setup (I do need to upgrade the graphics card) and am wondering whether to buy a console. I mostly play RPG games but I used to play quite a lot of sports games and think a console might be good to get to play with my young sons.

My question though is general, what types of games are typically better on consoles vs PCs?

P.S. How many console exclusives remain exclusive and never come to PC?

EDMIX

all of em lol

A good amount are better on console imho, I prefer most on console outside of CRPGs and even those have been done pretty damn well on console as of late.

CRPGs, stuff like the sims, RTS titles etc I generally like on PC, everything else I'll get on console.

Console does a great job with action games, survival horror titles, fighting games, is getting the majority chunk of JRPGs. It depends on the game and the person tbh

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Probably the worst example, unless you of course are sarcastic.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Agreed.

Depending on the game, I prefer many on console based on how I've played them over the generations, I do prefer a few on PC too.

The_Mike The_Mike lol I mean, for some games they are not wrong.

I tried playing COD years ago when a buddy gave me a free code for COD and it just feels horrid on PC lol I'm just used to how the feel and layout is on console and some games come down to that feel.

So certain games like Portal, TF2 I actually like more on PC

but certain games like the BF series, COD, Titanfall etc, I prefer on console.

Last edited:

Lasha

Are you asking which games feel better with a controller over KBM? PC versions of games usually have the best performance across all versions of a game and online is free so the question is odd.

Agreed.

Depending on the game, I prefer many on console based on how I've played them over the generations, I do prefer a few on PC too.

The_Mike The_Mike lol I mean, for some games they are not wrong.

I tried playing COD years ago when a buddy gave me a free code for COD and it just feels horrid on PC lol I'm just used to how the feel and layout is on console and some games come down to that feel.

So certain games like Portal, TF2 I actually like more on PC

but certain games like the BF series, COD, Titanfall etc, I prefer on console.
What on earth do you mean by the "feel and layout"? It's the same.

Kupfer

IMO (cinematic) 3rd person games and 3rd person shooters are at home on console.

Racing and sports games as well.

I prefer to play singleplayer- and coop FPS on console.

Only genre I prefer the PC over a console is multiplayer FPS.
Like Squad, DayZ, Arma ...

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Probably the worst example, unless you of course are sarcastic.
A lot of shooters these days are designed with a controller in mind. Some COD streamers who play on PC even started switching to a controller because it's just easier than kb+m, lol.

To answer OP's question - to me it's pretty much anything that doesn't require quick mouse clicks, so the only games that feel awkward on a controller to me are real time strategies or point'n'click adventure games. Console ports of old computer RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment also feel really awkward and imprecise, although I do commend the developers for trying.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
A lot of shooters these days are designed with a controller in mind. Some COD streamers who play on PC even started switching to a controller because it's just easier than kb+m, lol.
That's because the streamers sucks at gaming and need an aimbot.

I remember the guy in here linking to a video on twitter where all you need to do on console is to ADS and the game does the rest for you.

That doesn't make the game better. That's straight up making the game play for you.

Are you asking which games feel better with a controller over KBM? PC versions of games usually have the best performance across all versions of a game and online is free so the question is odd.
This.
mouse and keyboard vs controller lol

Holy shit, I'm shocked I even needed to say that, what the fuck did you think we were talking about?

(turns out Jet Set thinks I'm literally going in the game thru VR and feeling things) lol
The OP didn't say controller Vs M&KB though, which is why this topic and your response baffled the total fuck out of me because it makes no sense. Sure if you're talking about the control method then I totally get it. But as you can use controller on PC, I still don't understand the premise of the thread tbh.

Yeah I thought you were all about the feels lol

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

I remember the guy in here linking to a video on twitter where all you need to do on console is to ADS and the game does the rest for you.

That doesn't make the game better. That's straight up making the game play for you.
It is what it is, but that's the reason why controllers are a better option these days.

Also, streamers don't switch to a controller because they suck but because they're tired of being at a disadvantage when they're the only ones on the server who try to play normally while everyone else is ADS'ing them, lol.

Even when it comes to things like look acceleration or smoothing, it's all done with a controller in mind and unless it's some esports game, most shooters will feel like ass on a mouse.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Or.....thats probably because they are used to COD with a controller based on how the game was designed. I'm sure if they started playing on PC, they'd be good there where they understand better, but I'm not joking or trolling and neither are the several people that actually answered why that wasn't some odd answer.

FPS on PC isn't a default, it used to be back in the day mind you, but there are many IP that are designed for console that I get why many play BF or COD on console even with those series STARTING on PC, but that didn't mean the base stayed with them. So a lot of shooters can feel better on console, a lot can feel better on PC.

Depends on the game ,depends on gamer.

Its not this clear cut, black and white thing were someone MUUUUUST be "sarcastic" to give you that response, clearly something legit must be there for several of us to be saying this.... I started playing those games on PC and even I prefer them on console after several generations of playing on console with them..

I think titles like Doom, TF2, Overwatch and many more play great on PC and make sense there, but I'm not shocked many play COD or BF on console based on preferring that control, feel etc. It would be like screaming and crying that Tekken HAS TO BE better on PC, completely disregarding those that may have grown up with Tekken from PS1 era, thus that layout is how they enjoy playing.

Jet Set Willy Jet Set Willy The ability to use a controller on PC doesn't mean the game will actually feel the same.

I wish it was as simply as plug in the control and get the same 1.1 experience, but its not...

Granted, some games work great with it where its not some twitch shooter type thing lol JRPGs as I played a few using the 360 PC controller, but the games that I'd play on console based on that, don't play well on PC using those controllers. I wish they did btw as that would solve a fuck ton of issues, but it doesn't translate as well as many think.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I currently have a decent PC setup (I do need to upgrade the graphics card) and am wondering whether to buy a console. I mostly play RPG games but I used to play quite a lot of sports games and think a console might be good to get to play with my young sons.

My question though is general, what types of games are typically better on consoles vs PCs?
I'd say none. Why would they? Unless it's some piece of shitty optimization like Calisto I'd say everything is best played on a capable PC.

P.S. How many console exclusives remain exclusive and never come to PC?
Very little. Which is cool, lots of console exclusives (all Xbox ones and some PS ones) are coming to PC and many PC games are getting released on consoles. Choosing a platform today has very little to do with exclusives.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I mean, technically I don't see that much of a different, just get yourself a decent controller and the main difference goes away.

The remaining differences now reside in timed gate exclusives mainly, and screen size.

I would go with action adventure games / fighting games, that is, if you can't a decent controller.

Just image doing combos in a keyboard :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

EDMIX

None?

If i can use my pc as a console, on my couch with my big oled tv, console have literally no plus point other than being slightly more plug and play.

lol I tried a few times with Steams Big Picture Mode and.....its just not the same lol Its that plug and play that they get right.

semi OT, but I'd love to see MS make a gaming OS.
Where you could boot to some UI like they have on XB, have no bloatware, but because those games are still PC games, they'd still need a lot of the functionality and features found on PC still.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
lol I tried a few times with Steams Big Picture Mode and.....its just not the same lol
Yeah fuck that. I think they implemented a beta version of the Steam Deck's UI for desktop devices, which is much better than Big Picture.

Me? I just walk from the couch to the PC, use the mouse to click on the "play" button, and then walk back to the couch. It's my exercise routine you know. :lollipop_content:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Couch co-op games. Other than that, nothing.

PC affords the power to well beyond consoles in snappy response time, higher frame rates, more precision with mouse, and better overall image quality. It’s not even a contest, and that’s without throwing in mods, paid online, friendly refund policies, and free games.

But if your aim is to play with your young children, then best of the best isn’t really needed. So maybe an Xbox would fit in well because then you’ve got cross buy options and Game Pass, which welcomes in a ton of games for everyone to enjoy.

If it’s a matter of games that don’t appear on PC, then Nintendo is your best option. Their couch co-op is also unmatched, plus as an RPG fan you’ll get access to a couple RPGs not on PC.

Last edited:

GymWolf

lol I tried a few times with Steams Big Picture Mode and.....its just not the same lol Its that plug and play that they get right.

semi OT, but I'd love to see MS make a gaming OS.
Where you could boot to some UI like they have on XB, have no bloatware, but because those games are still PC games, they'd still need a lot of the functionality and features found on PC still.
I never used big picture, i just double click the game icon on the desktop and the game start, if i have my couch, controller (of my choice without being forced with shitty hardware like a ds4) and big ass oled i'm basically in the same situation of a console, last time i played on an uncomfortable chair with a small monitor and m+k my balls were hairless.

Sure pc has his problems, but when everything work fine (the majority of times) it is basically a more powerfull console where you can tailor hardware and performance to your best desire.

For the bolded part, no, you really don't, they can't even make a pc store\xbox app that doesn't have problems every 3x2, they are trash with gaming related OS, just look at the current problems of windows11...

Last edited:

adamosmaki

None considering you can replicate they console experience on PC with a controller except with better fps and graphics

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Halo, CoD, Destiny, Timesplitters. The list goes on my young Padawan

Halo especially is a night and day difference with mouse/keyboard.
Everything is.

You’re just naming console shooters that feel good compared to other console shooters - but they all fall short of PC controls. On PC everything feels smooth and precise - not just a handful of games.

And where are you playing Timesplitters? It’s more accessible on a PC right now then a console.

Shit, every new shooter starts on PC. Then after it’s popular it eventually ports to one or two consoles. Indies are literally dominating the genre these days.

The worst possible example lol.

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
none. if its available on pc and you have a good gpu with a controller, no reason to play on consoles. i only use console for exclusives.

Mess

If you have a capable rig no game is better on console if it's available on PC, either natively or emulated.

Physiocrat

It's not just control pad vs mouse & keyboard.

For instance, FIFA and other sports games have had poor PC ports. I remember the old PES games having poor PC treatment. Has this now changed?

TintoConCasera

For instance, FIFA and other sports games have had poor PC ports. I remember the old PES games having poor PC treatment. Has this now changed?
There are bad PC ports just like there are bad console ports.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

For sports games I’d go console. You’ll have more options.

Skifi28

If we're talking about PC ports then yeah....it gets quite complicated. Basically don't buy on PC day one/blind. Wait a couple of days to hear how it runs for people and often it's best to wait a few months for all issues to be ironed out. Personally, If there's a game I can't wait to play and want no fuss and issues at launch, I always go for the console version instead and maybe double dip much later.

I personally don't agree with the "PC is always the best at everything" mentality around here. It depends on what you value.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Couch coop games are far better on a console in your living room with your friends and/or family. No PC game or rig ever rivalled Mario Kart or Party or SFII etc.

This.

The nostalgia factor is real.

if you grew up this way, no PC work around will really match a home console. If you grew up knowing some combo to SFII using a certain controller, that is where you'll want to enjoy it going forward. I still play Tekken this way on PS4 till this day.

I know workarounds exist on PC, but HOW that feels is still part of the enjoyment of that game and many games.

Its literally why I'm getting Tekken 8 on PS5.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

To answer OP's question - to me it's pretty much anything that doesn't require quick mouse clicks, so the only games that feel awkward on a controller to me are real time strategies or point'n'click adventure games. Console ports of old computer RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment also feel really awkward and imprecise, although I do commend the developers for trying.

The only reason for that, is that devs implemented a ton of cheats to offset the lack of precision and quickness of a controller.
Turn off aim assist and recoil management from console shooters and most players can't hit anything.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nothing is inherently better on one or the other (except possibly couch MP games), it's mostly about what's better on controller vs KBM. Of course you can use a controller on PC as well, but not always quite as seamlessly. And PC currently has a lot of issues with #stutterstruggle.

BlackTron

Consoles are a bit better for platforming, fighting, kart racing, and sports/party/co-op type games. PC can usually do the same stuff, but you won't be worried about connecting 4 controllers, glitches, or Windows pop-ups when all you want to do is get into a quick multiplayer game. Especially if you want Nintendo games, maybe you can be a nerd and emulate Metroid Dread but do you really want to go through all that every time the kids want to play Mario Kart or Smash...just get the system lol.

PC is a must for FPS and RTS, and for some third person games that are trigger-heavy, I like the option to switch to a mouse. Beyond that, some games you might prefer on PC just for modding potential. An example of both is GTA. Lately I've been consolidating more on PC after getting a gaming laptop, but the Switch still has utility for quick multiplayer and Mario/Sonic type stuff.

The great thing about a console is that it's easy to plug directly into any TV and just turn on. When you are in the mood for a social, party or lighthearted platforming type game, that's what you want. But you will lose all the options. When you want to be able to set up your own controller and fine tune the settings go PC. When you want to be in the action ASAP with no BS because there are kids running around, go console.

clampzyn

one great thing about consoles is that you don't need tweak so much in order for the game to run smooth, you'll usually end up with quality/performance mode but not every game on console is well-optimized though. on pc, unless you have a top-tier hardware where you can just crank up anything to the highest then you won't have any trouble but thats not the real-world case, lots of people still uses low-mid tier setup that they need to tweak a lot of settings in order for the game to run smooth or the way they want plus consoles usually have less trouble like needing to install the latest drivers etc.

but to answer the OP's title, PC with superior hardware will 99% feel better than console on majority of the games if the game don't have performance issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom