• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The End Of PS5" [dunkey]

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I am, and have been since the early 80's, a PC gamer. I've always owned consoles, but I'm about as much of a PC guy as you can get.

Consoles aren't going anywhere. The idea that anyone who wants to play anything that isn't a Nintendo property is going to go out and build/buy a PC is not realistic thinking. It's just not going to happen. Which is good.

Vroadstar

MS marketing team putting in that work the last few days
Eddie Murphy GIF by Coming to America

Svejk

The PS is my go to console, but it ain't for the first party stuff. Lol, no. It's Sony hitting that sweet spot with affordable, yet quality hardware since the 80's.

Boneless

It sucks because you don’t like it, but you got it for games you do like or were interested in? Seems like your opinions make the whole thing suck. Anyone wanna buy a ps5? Boneless thinks it sucks, therefore it does.

Ffs, this is going to be one of this threads, isn’t it? Thanks OP 🤦‍♂️

PS5 is objectively worse then the PS4 in terms of lineup, no need to stick your head in the sand.

Roberts

I guess it's what kids call satire these days and cheekily neglected stuff like Returnal or Helldivers 2, but it is not entirely untrue. I had the system for a year or so and after playing a few games that I wanted to play, I never felt the urge to turn it on. That said, the bangers will surely come next year or after that!

Last edited:

Markio128

I don’t recall such drama around 1st party games during PS1 and PS2 cycles. Gamers didn’t give a shit who released the games as long as they were good.

Nowadays we are inundated with dramatic cry baby nonsense that turns every molehill into a mountain.

Long story short - I couldn’t give a fuck who releases games as long as they are good, just like nobody gave a fuck before the YouTube twats were born.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Chasing trends for that money. All the xbros are trying so hard to put Sony in the same bracket as Xbox. Yet, one is breaking records and the other is on the path to third party.
This shit is embarrassing.
Snap Out Of It Gordon Ramsay GIF by BBC
What records are Sony breaking? The PS5 is trending below PS4. They had some huge quarters when they transitioned from it being hard to find to being available but once that pent up demand was satisfied they started releasing bundles and putting those bundles on sale. There is a reduction in market for consoles. If that is driven by more people on PC then it's not necessarily a reduction in market for console style games, but if it is driven by people being fine with mobile or not gaming then it is a problem.

Inflation and the cost of a system & games that are nonessential could also be a factor. In previous gens console prices went down and games were available at reduced prices a few months after launch. This made gaming more affordable to people getting in later in the gen. Now most games are sold digital and many still cost 70 a year after launching.

Whatever is going on, the market is not growing for any console except maybe for Nintendo, though most expect the Switch 2 to sell less than the Switch.

gtabro

I have a ps5 with GoW Ragnarok, Demon's Souls (but already finished on PS3), Returnal, and Spider-Man 2 bought but not yet finished (and I usually beat a game before moving on), yet here I am doing a second Baldrur's Gate 3 playthrough on PC and slowly progressing in Zelda TotK.
On paper these 4 games are great and I appreciate the enormous effort to bring them to life, but they just don't click with me like the PS4 exclusives - Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, GoW 1, Spidey 1, TLOU 2, Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human.
Am I the problem? :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I won't make the same mistake getting a PS6 early and I definitely won't be buying a 5 Pro. This has been a terrible generation.
Same. I’ve never felt less need to own a PlayStation or Xbox. I haven’t used my PS5 since Summer for FF XVI (which was my most hyped game of the generation… and I ended up hating it). Only reason I haven’t sold the PS5 is because my kids use it for Roblox and Hogwarts Legacy, and it’s my 4K blu ray player.

NEbeast

He used to be funny until he said something mean about my favorite game system, now he’s not funny anymore and I hate him.
Na, he is just chasing "engagement." He is talking absolute fucking bollocks.
What records are Sony breaking? The PS5 is trending below PS4. They had some huge quarters when they transitioned from it being hard to find to being available but once that pent up demand was satisfied they started releasing bundles and putting those bundles on sale. There is a reduction in market for consoles. If that is driven by more people on PC then it's not necessarily a reduction in market for console style games, but if it is driven by people being fine with mobile or not gaming then it is a problem.

Inflation and the cost of a system & games that are nonessential could also be a factor. In previous gens console prices went down and games were available at reduced prices a few months after launch. This made gaming more affordable to people getting in later in the gen. Now most games are sold digital and many still cost 70 a year after launching.

Whatever is going on, the market is not growing for any console except maybe for Nintendo, though most expect the Switch 2 to sell less than the Switch.
Nothing you said is the "end of ps5".
The ps5 outsold the ps4 over the last twelve months and is only trailing the the ps4 because of covid/shortages at the beginning of the generation, and it's still only 300k behind. Sony reduced their optimistic 25 million ps5 sales to 21 million and not its "the end of ps5".
The ceo said we're entering the latter half of the ps5 , we are, and people take that as ps5 is dying/over.
Now we have youtubers putting out clickbait for views/money.
It has been constant misinformation since all the xbox leaks.

Toots

Gold Member
Consoles have died at least 83 times these past couple of days on GAF.
Consoles on Neogaf are like the Emperor of Mankind in that they need a constant influx of trolls sacrificing themselves to the gods of console warring just to sustain themselves one more day.

All hail the God Emperor of Manchild !
WP817Id.jpg

Last edited:

SHA

As I was contemplating whether to get myself a PS5, I realized that as an owner of a PS4 Pro and a PC, I couldn't quite find a meaningful reason. Then this video came across my feed. What do you think about this?

We're really facing a disastrous generation. Even if some great games will come out in the last 1-2 years of its life cycle, I might prefer to wait for the PS6 to enjoy them(or play them on pc?). It's already known that they're making games for PC as well. I wonder, is it not just the PS5, but are consoles dying? Will Nintendo be the last representative of consoles?

At least it's no one's fault, great games will be released anyway, nes gen was way worse, I mean I wanted to like the console's games but they were difficult, this wasn't fun at all, I liked pc cause nes games were so hard.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I agree that it's a farce to talk about a next hardware model at this point when the experience I've had on my launch PS5 have barely separated themselves from the PS4 yet. Nintendo is correct on this one--longer generations show commitment to your hardware and customer, shorter ones are insulting and make it difficult to care about what they release in the future.

Sony clearly has a considered strategy of backloading their exclusive output to the end of the generation. This makes sense, since it builds up goodwill in time for the generation transition. People will have the last two years of straight banger exclusives in mind when deciding which console to get next.

The downside is that it leaves the middle of the generation a bit fallow. But If you're going to sacrifice one of the beginning, middle, and end of a given generation, you'd be insane not to sacrifice the middle.

Svejk

Funny how some people on here say their PS5 is gathering dust (and I personally know others who say the same). My PS5 gets the only use between it, my PS4, PC and Switch. Ready to sell the Switch and the games since they still hold some value. My PC is most likely more powerful than my PS5, but as mentioned before, it's the ease of hardware and convenience of the PS5 that hits that sweet spot/median of gaming enjoyment. Different strokes I guess.

Salz01

Sony has been fully coasting this gen. There isn’t one official announced first party game that I’m looking forward to, because there is no announced first party game.

OuterLimits

Chasing trends for that money. All the xbros are trying so hard to put Sony in the same bracket as Xbox. Yet, one is breaking records and the other is on the path to third party.
This shit is embarrassing.
Snap Out Of It Gordon Ramsay GIF by BBC

Embarrassing? People can be Sony fans, enjoy the PS5 console, but also be critical and disappointed in regards to the 1st party software this generation.

I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360(and even then I mainly used PS3) but this is my least favorite Sony generation by far.

NovaSe7en

Sony clearly has a considered strategy of backloading their exclusive output to the end of the generation. This makes sense, since it builds up goodwill in time for the generation transition. People will have the last two years of straight banger exclusives in mind when deciding which console to get next.

Yeah, no. They're not doing this intentionally. It has more to do with development cycles getting exorbitantly longer.

Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us Part II are approaching 4 years old.

Weird how these news are coming right when Helldivers 2 releases, and FFVII Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade all release in the space of 3 months.

I also didn't see games like Returnal on the video...why not? Wouldn't fit the narrative?

Last edited:
MS marketing team putting in that work the last few days

I was watching kind of funny games. They just kept repeating. "Things have changed", "The industry has changed", "It's not just Xbox, playstation too". They provided no proof or anything just that things have changed for everyone.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

PS5 was the fastest selling PS console until the shipments dried up. It did take over the PS4 last year after they sold 22 million units last year. Something the PS4 never did. If the PS5 is trailing now its probably by a few hundred thousand at best. Not bad for a console $100 more expensive and supply constrained for the first two years.

I find it funny that you said the market is growing for Nintendo when they literally left the console business merging their handheld and console business together. Compare their ds and wii sales or even 3ds and wii u sales tell me if they grew or shrunk.

Gaming is more affordable than ever thanks to gamepass and PS+ subs. you can play Demon Souls, Miles, Ratchet, Returnal, Horizon FW for like $15 bucks on PS+ Extra right now. GOW Rangorak is $40 right now. It went down to $50 just six months after launch and then down to $40 in the holiday season. GT7 also drops to $40 all the time.

Sony's revenues have doubled if not tripled since the PS4 era. They just bought Bungie for $3.6 billion and are paying off every year while posting profits. Gaming is fine.

7zxSCyQ.jpg

Sony has been fully coasting this gen. There isn’t one official announced first party game that I’m looking forward to, because there is no announced first party game.
How are they coasting?

They definitely have several projects in their pipelines. Games just take so damn long to make. If they can put out 30 hour AAA games in two-three years, I’m sure they would by this point.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

The real problem here is the time and money that games take to develop.
Those are the issues here. Having 300 people developing a game for 4 years is not sustainable, and the lack of game releases is just a consequence of that.
Or you own 50 studios or you will not be able to release many exclusives each year.
I think that only the heavy use of AI in the development cycle can change this.

S0ULZB0URNE

Literally half your list is comprised of titles that have not been announced and that (if announced sometime this year), would not be slated for release until late 2025 at the earliest. That in itself speaks volumes about how sparse the present and future looks in terms of first party output.

Not Funny Sarcastic Face GIF by The Righteous Gemstones
And?

Top Bottom