• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the best RPG from the 6th gen? (That got the highest ratings on Metacritic for each console)

Best RPG from 6th gen with the highest score on Metacritic?

• Dreamcast - Skies of Arcadia

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Xbox - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • PlayStation 2 - Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Gamecube - Paper Mario Thousand Year door.

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
in the 6th generation, these were the highest-rated RPGS for each console on Metacritic.

Dreamcast - Skies of Arcadia (Score 93)
Xbox - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Score 94)
PlayStation 2 - Final Fantasy XII (Score 92)
Gamecube - Paper Mario Thousand Year door (Score 87)

Which of these 4 genre defining releases that scored highest on Metacritic was the better RPG game?

61zgIa+mcSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
s-l500.jpg
Complete%20PS2-51-2__62122.1678390077.jpg
613Rf3u2qlL._AC_UL900_SR615,900_.jpg

Since these were considered by outlets to be the best rpgs in terms of quality on each console, which of these do you think was the best RPG?

graywolf323

oh man that’s tough, has to be between KOTOR and Skies of Arcadia for me but the definitive version of the latter was actually on GameCube (I’m surprised it didn’t score higher than Paper Mario TTYD)

edit: should note that FFX is actually tied with FFXII with a score of 92 on Metacritic while surprisingly Persona 4 is third with a 90 (Golden has a 93 on Vita)

Tales of Symphonia which would probably be the more popular choice here for GameCube was just behind Paper Mario with a 86

Last edited:
should note that FFX is actually tied with FFXII with a score of 92 on Metacritic while surprisingly Persona 4 is third with a 90 (Golden has a 93 on Vita)

FF12 is placed higher on the list because it has more reviews and whatever decimal point is higher in the background of MC's system.

I don't find Persona 4 being third surprising, after that it's 3 Fex, DQ8, FF11, Balder gate DA, Dark Cloud 2, and Kingdom Hearts 2. the quality dips pretty quickly going down the list past the top 5.

The only ones I've played out of those was very little of FF 12 and majority of Paper Mario. I thought Paper Mario was incredible. Didn't have the drive for some reason to get into FF12. My personal favorite prolly would have been FF X. First PS2 and first FF title I've ever played. Incredible memories.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Final Fantasy 12 followed by Skies of Arcadia. Paper Mario was good but it didn't have the same impact as either of the above. Never played KOTOR. Loved FF 12. It was so disheartening to see everybody shit on it. The gambit system was so much fun and the story and characters were all top notch (Balthier and Fran being my favorites. They should've gotten their own spinoff game). I think the game would've been even better (and received much better) if Matsuno didn't fall ill during development.

Last edited:

consoul

This is a weird topic.
Who gives a shit what Metacritic said? We're just gonna discount every other fantastic PS2 RPG because Metacritic said FFXII was the best one?

Kokoloko85

KOTOR no doubt. A top 20 game for me and the combat was kinda meh but the rest was so good at the time. I havent finished Paper Mario but they were all great

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My brain immediately said Kotor, but the back my mind I always remember Skies of Arcadia.

Like if a new Kotor was announced I would be less excited than if a new Skies of Arcadia was, so I had to vote with my heart even if it makes no logical sense.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Never played KOTOR, that was more like an MMO, right?

For me It's FF12, but I didn't know it until last year when I played through it again and loved it. First time around I thought it was terrible and only made it 20 hours or so. In fact, FF12 became one of my favorite FF's after that play through and I'm looking forward to replaying it one day.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Never played KOTOR, that was more like an MMO, right?

For me It's FF12, but I didn't know it until last year when I played through it again and loved it. First time around I thought it was terrible and only made it 20 hours or so. In fact, FF12 became one of my favorite FF's after that play through and I'm looking forward to replaying it one day.
It's basically the best Star Wars movie. First game with cinematic dialogue / choice like everyone has copied since then. Combat is actually a little similar to FFXII.

Top Bottom