• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

No Turbografx love? Really?

Here's my pick: Lord of Thunder.

dAC73n0.jpg

ffvorax

A lot of incredible masterpieces BUT I must say: X-Wing.
That game was just incredible and by now I don't see any game like that... still waiting...

Kneefoil

"How could it not be Doom? C'mon"

*sees Gunstar Heroes and Link's Awakening*

"Oh right, that's how."

I guess I'll give it to Zelda.

Really strong year, I think.

And, for me, Link's Awakening by a wide margin. What an amazing game!! An the best Zelda ever. For me, again.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
35497-Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_-_Hyper_Fighting_(USA)-1453510943.png

This game was a dream come true for my young self, countless hours.

Honorable mention to Lords of Thunder, that game was pretty mind blowing.

kmfdmpig

Great year for gaming.

For me it's hard to choose between Doom, NHL94, Gunstar Heroes, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Starfox and Secret of Mana.
Doom, NHL94 and SF2T gave me the most hours, but Gunstar and Secret of Mana were incredible as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are we counting Streets Of Rage 2? It came out in North America on 12/20/1992.

Reading through the list, I thought nothing would even come close to Doom.

But then there is Sam & Max Hit The Road that I spent so much time with back then (because I was a child and couldn't figure out shit), and I still replay every few years. I'm going to go with that for nostalgia, but I recognize Doom as being the more important game.

Meneses

Flashback, it blew my mind back then and is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Followed closely by Jungle Strike and maybe Gunstar Heroes.

I won't mention Phantasy Star IV because while it is very good, I only played it much later so i don't have the same type of nostalgia for it.

TheMoon

What the hell do you consider a strong year?

This actually makes me really interested in the future 16 bit years topics. There cant be a better year than this in that era. There cant be.

For example 94 had DOOM II, Mega Man X, DKC, DK '94, System Shock, Illusion of Gaia for Murica and Super Metroid (Mother 2 and FF VI if you live in Japan). Micro Machines was born! Mortal Kombat II, Monkey Island 2. Consider that floor wiped :p

It's also the year that gave us Night Trap, Shaq-Fu and Mario's Time Machine. Can't beat that.

But seriously, give me any other year. 93 holds no special place for me.

KainXVIII

Betrayal at Krondor was like Planescape: Torment for their time, very solid game (and massive map too!)
krondor_03.gif

Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet - great adaptation with laughable looks alike actor sprites (without their approval of course)
426-call-of-cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet-dos-screenshot-nathan-tyler.gif

Doom (need i say more?)
ultdoom%202.gif

Eric the Unready - great humorous adventure (with text parser)
Eric_the_Unready_06.gif

Goblins Quest 3 - formula get a little stale, but still very funny and quirky french adventure with excellent FM music.
goblins3-7.gif

Flashback (dat animation!)

God of Thunder - not a bad zelda clone if you are not very picky (and don't play zelda as i do :D )
2927_4c1140cd54324.jpg

King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow - Jane Jensen rules!
kq6%204.gif

Simon the Sorcerer - BEAUTIFUL pixel art graphics and mt-32 music.
simon3.gif

And so much more pc games, whew!

Reading through the list I was pretty meh until the S's. Secret of Mana, Star Fox, Street Fighter II Turbo. Man, great games.

My fav would have to be Secret or Mana for sure. I thought that would start the genre of co-op jrpgs but that didn't pan out unfortunately.

Nightfall

Oh boy, what an awesome year! So many great games!

But if I have to... Secret of Mana. Followed by Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

I put countless hours into SoM with my friend and the Coop was simply the best. I think I need to replay it soon.

stalker

Doom, particularly the shareware version.I did not play on consoles in that period and barely played casually on PC. The Doom shareware is probably the most impactful gaming event for me, it was glorious.

Eblo

Give me Link's Awakening. My first Zelda game and one of my first games. Still one of the best games ever.

Sonic CD followed by Link's Awakening.

Also, Streets of Rage 2 was 100% 1992, not 1993. I know because I was playing SOR2 on my Genesis right after Christmas that year.

Lanf

Great year! Only played SNES back then, so my picks are

Star Fox
medium_4_screenshot.png

Made quite the impression on me as a kid, found it very cinematic at the time. And very hard, didn't finish it until I was older. I'll always remember the gibberish they spoke to each other.

Street Fighter II Turbo
street-fighter-2-collectibles-02.jpg

SF was al the rage back then, movie was just out etc. Spent a lot of hours playing this with friends. Will always remember those iconic backdrops.

Honorable mentions to DOOM and Xwing, only played them a few years later, when I had a PC.

petran79

Banned
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Super Sidekicks
World Heroes 2
Samurai Shodown

Best days in the arcades

On PC Aladdin, Day of the Tentacle, Doom

Tanolen

It's not on your list but I'm going to have to go with Dark Sun: Shattered Lands my favorite of the old D&D rpgs.

Shion

Off the top of my head, the list is missing

Arcade games:
Virtua Fighter
Daytona USA
Ridge Racer
Mortal Kombat II
Batsugun
Hyper Duel

Turbo CD games:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Lords of Thunder

Also, like Phantasy Star IV, games like Mega Man X, Shining Force II, R-Type III, Breath of Fire and Illusion of Gaia were originally released in 1993.

datsunzep

Gunstar Heroes is without a doubt my #1 of that year with Streets of Rage 2 a very, very close #2.

I've been building an arcade machine for the last couple of weeks and it's been an absolute joy playing these with arcade sticks for the first time.

1993 was an amazing year for old school games before 3D became a priority for developers.

1993 was definitely one of my all-time favorite years in gaming. All of my favorite genres had a classic release that year:

RPG: Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth Of Worlds
Adventure: Day of the Tentacle
First Person Shooter: Doom
Strategy: X-COM: UFO Defense
Space Combat: Star Wars: X-Wing

HylianTom

Banned
Secret of Mana dominated a huge chunk of that year for me. On my first playthrough, I leveled every character on every possible weapon, every possible magic skill, etc. Spent hours grinding levels.

God, I need to replay it someday..

Off the top of my head, the list is missing

Arcade games:
Virtua Fighter
Daytona USA
Ridge Racer
Mortal Kombat II
Batsugun
Hyper Duel

Turbo CD games:
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Lords of Thunder

Also, like Phantasy Star IV, games like Mega Man X, Shining Force II, R-Type III, Breath of Fire and Illusion of Gaia were originally released in 1993.

I haven't looked at the others, but Shining Force II was a January 1994 release and will be in the 1994 list. I'm not using Japanese release dates. Phantasy Star IV was a goof on my part. =(

Artdayne

Arcades were still big in 1993. Samurai Shodown was easily my favorite.

256px-Shodownlogo.png

That feels like cheating but yeah, ugh I f'ing loved Samurai Shodown 1 and 2. Otherwise I would probably go with Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I was all about the fighting games back then.

lazygecko

Are these threads about what our favorite game during that particular year, or any game that just happened to be released then?

Top Bottom