• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will it take to get YOU to buy a Limited/Collector's Edition?

Spike

I bought the Halo 2 "limited" CE, and I really don't know why. I've never even watched any of the bonus stuff that comes with the DVD movies I buy, so I don't know why I care for them when it comes to games.

That being said, I think that Blizzard offers some of the best CE's. I picked up the Diablo 2 and WarCraft 3 CE's and haven't been dissapointed in the least. Too bad I didn't get the WoW one...

I might buy the Zelda:TP CE, though. All I need it to include is a soundtrack CD and I'll take the dive. Other than that, I won't be buying any other CE's.

Drensch

Assuming I'm paying a premium of 10-20$, I'd want some real value. I'd also want the run to to actually limited-to something on the order of 5-10% of the final shipped numbers.
It wouldn't be bad to offer the premium edition a couple of weeks early to the buyers. As for trinkets and such you need a sdtrk and making of dvd. Plus an art book. Then a game specific item. Like a gun clip for MGS or a Shurikern for a game like Ninja Gaiden. Something really nicely made and really connected to the game itself.

Half Life 2's specials (Some of them, retal version) were decent. The inclusion of Half Life 1 was actually quite nice. Mostly since its running in the same engine for Half Life 2, or the 'Havok' engine. Same game, same graphics, new engine.

Plus, for a game in a series, a box to hold all the games in would be nice, like in Tekken 5's.

Seriously though, I'd rather just sell all the items sepratley and quit making us buy the god damn things. I never paid full price for any of my collector editions, anyway.

Halo 2 - $30
Doom 3 XBX - $55
Half Life 2 - $40

Hell, if you're going to include a doccumentary. Dont use G4's Icons show or anything like that, please.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
It's pretty easy for me. Subtract the price of the regular game from the price of the LE. If I'd pay that amount to buy the extra features/toys as a separate add-on to the game, then I'll go with the LE. Otherwise I'll keep it standard.

Surely that's the only way that makes sense?

Top Bottom