• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's been the biggest value from your gaming subscriptions this year?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game pass has been an incredible value, enough day 1 games I've played that have paid for the sub multiple-years over.

That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

PS+ is a lot better in terms of catalog now than it was a few years ago but not as good as GP.

I subbed to all three services in 2023: PS + Premium, Game Pass Ultimate, and Nintendo Switch Online Family Play with the expansion pass. All three were an absolute waste of money in the end, as I spent a ton and ended up with fuck all to show for it.

And that's the biggest value for me here: realizing there's no value to be had, and not to waste any more money on gaming subscriptions.

Last edited:

Codes 208

NOS plus, n64 games and my friends’ bi-weekly mario kart sessions

Gamepass is nice when i feel like playing sea of thieves or some other big release but as a pc gamer i mostly stick to steam anyway

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This year? I'll just name games that I would have probably bought for full price if not for Gamepass.
Lies of P
Sea of Stars
HI-Fi Rush
Persona 4 golden
Atomic Heart (dodged a bullet there, though I did finish it)
Wo Long (thought it would be basically Nioh 3...but just not as good as Nioh 2)
Dodged a bullet on Redfall (this has value)
Payday 3
Forza

However, these are just the games I wouldn't have bought. To further illustrate the value, let's add the games I played that I did not purchase elsewhere
Ghostwire: Tokyo (just not my thing)
Minecraft: Legends (cuz why the fuck not)
Blazblue Cross Tag battle (prefer Guilty Gear honestly)
F.I.S.T.
Exoprimal (Capcom...what happened?)
Like a Dragon: Ishin. (jury's still out on this one)
Dead Space Remake
Like a Dragon Gaiden (downloaded, have not played yet, just came out, I'll play this weekend likely)
City Skylines II

I mean...when looking at it like this...for $120 a year (I only subscribe to PC gamepass)?

It feels like stealing. I ended up buying Starfield on Steam because modding is shit on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Gloggins

Since September Gamepass since has been on fire with Starfield, Lies of P, Dead Space and Like a Dragon: The Man with something or other.

Every month Plus provides an older or recent-ish game I never got around to. Got FC6, Rogue Legacy 2, 13 Sentinels, Disco Elysium lined up.

It's good eating all round!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Gamepass:

Hi-Fi_Rush_cover_art.jpg

Game pass has been an incredible value, enough day 1 games I've played that have paid for the sub multiple-years over.

PS+ is a lot better in terms of catalog now than it was a few years ago but not as good as GP.
GP catalog is a piece of trash compared to PS+. Less games, (yes less) no Sony exclusives, just MS junk.

So gtfo with the MS sucking and mention titles.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I only have GPU and NSO. GP I finished 13 games so far this year so it more than paid for itself.

NSO I keep forgetting to cancel, only took it to play MH Rise but I guess it’s nice to play F-Zero X.

Crayon

I've only got the ps one. I've played it a bit. Doesn't fit my patterns but there are a lot of games I had bought or had wishlisted on steam so it could be a good value if I didn't just buy what i want and made a lot more time foe games.

I played spellforce 3 on it recently and that was pretty cool. I played bloodstained a while back. I use it more to dip my toes into random stuff which it a questionable use of time in itself.

Pejo

I cancelled PS+ because I never play my PS5 and the price increase. That was the last of my gaming subscriptions, so I'm getting excellent value now by not paying anything.

KiteGr

Stopped buying new PSplus essential after they announced the price increase.
I have up until 2027 worth of multiplayer time, but I won't be paying that price.

The money I didn't spend are the best value.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PC, all the bonuses you get elsewhere, from online multiplayer and other online features to free game offers you may find on any number of platforms, all for a cool $0 per century.

Last edited:

calistan

I'm not sure I'm getting huge value from Game Pass in terms of hours played. The only game I've totally rinsed on that service this year was Arcade Paradise, which is great but I probably could have bought it for the price of a month or two's sub.

I stacked up three years of cheap Game Pass when that was still possible, but if I have to pay the full monthly fee when it expires I'll probably have to reconsider. It's good to have the option of so many games to play, but in reality I don't use it enough, and my most played games were the ones I had to buy because they're not on Game Pass.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Can we talk about subscriptions generally being a waste of money? Yes you'll get good games the odd time but no different from any subscription service like Netflix, keep you paying every month even if not using it, increase price gradually etc.

Crayon

Can we talk about subscriptions generally being a waste of money? Yes you'll get good games the odd time but no different from any subscription service like Netflix, keep you paying every month even if not using it, increase price gradually etc.

It would be a good deal if you want to play a lot of different games and don't have the money for it. You can't be picky but for the 120 a year or whatever it is, you might get 5 games waiting for sales. For me, sure armored core might end up there but I don't want to wait around. It was nice when ratchet showed up but it seems like if I really wanted to play it I would have bought it already. Returnal is on there now but no regrets on getting that beast day one full price. But if I had kids, they'd get this and a dinky laptop. $70 games are for mom and dad.

Hohenheim

Easily Game Pass (for PC)

Have finished at least 12 games on there so far this year,including some of my favourites for 2023, indie classics and great stuff I probably would never try out elsewhere.

My other subscriptions are ps+ extra and Nintendo online, and I have not used either, except for playing that boring "Little Hope" game on the ps service.
Probably gonna use it for callisto protocol before the end of the year, but will definitly not renew my subscription when the current one ends next year.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I play loads of things on Gamepass, and especially enjoy getting to play things I'd never buy or might be on the fence about or am waiting for a sale on.

I've had more play out of Lies of P than Armoured Core 6 that I bought, would likely have bought Dead Space at some point when it was on sale and probably got as much play out of it as I did with Gamepass (few hours), I would likely have bought Starfield, etc. etc.

The value proposition is fantastic, but it's awful for backlogs - way too many games to ever get through, even if you played on one platform only. To some degree, I understand only buying the best of the best as judged by metacritic but the reality is that games that "click" with you but aren't critic choices can be far more enjoyable than 10/10 games that don't click with you.

I've been playing Robocop (not on Gamepass) today. I'd much rather play that than more Spiderman, but the latter reviewed far better. So, I would say that one of Gamepass etc's biggest benefits is increasing your exposure to games you're curious about but are unsure if you'll like them enough to buy them in order to give them a try.

Last edited:

calistan

I can see the value of it for discovery. Most games don't have demos, and consoles don't offer much in the way of refund policies, so a subscription is probably the best way to sample a wide variety of games.

With things like Netflix, I find that I'm more inclined to keep it if it offers something extra. For example, Amazon Prime covers your delivery fees as well as offering a pretty good selection of movies. Apple TV has high quality and comes as part of my family subscription for music and storage. But I recently dropped Disney+ because there's no additional incentive beyond a selection of films that they very rarely update.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Unironically, Best Buy Plus membership.

It was $50 for the year, and I saved nearly $800 on their buy 2, get 1 free Switch games deal. Sadly it went away for a couple of months but has resurfaced again thanks to Black Friday or whatever. Since it worked for EVERY switch game, including pre-orders, I'm now stocked up with just about everything interesting coming out in the first half of next year on Switch.

getting to play a full-price major title (starfield) day 1 simply by subbing game pass for a month...
agreed. sub when you're interested in something in particular, & then bail. put their sub systems to work for you...

Mortisfacio

GamePass has been great. Saved me the misery of paying $70 for that awful and overhyped Starfield disaster while actually providing enjoyment from HFR and Dead Space 2 Remake.

Will also play Cocoon, Jusant, Sea of Stars, and Lies of P in my backlog

Not paying $70 for Starfield is honestly the #1 value I've had from GamePass this year. Had a few hours of somewhat enjoyment and otherwise mostly boredom. Has had some decent games as well such as Lies of P and Dead Space. My kids enjoy Minecraft Legends as well, so it's nice to just throw that on the Series X while I play something else on PC.

This is probably the first year I've never started up any of my PS+ Essential games even once. It's not for lack of interest, mind you. I've just been slammed with lot of new, higher priority releases and I've been busy being a new dad.

Beechos

Gamepass and it's not even close. Although I have to say if you like Japanese games ps+ premium is a heck of a value. There are so many Japanese games on it. I just wish psvr 2 games will be included soon or crunchy roll.

Bridges

Got a lot of value out of Gamepass this year

With it I completed Atomic Heart, Hi-Fi Rush, Minecraft Dungeons, Redfall (yikes), Arcade Paradise, Exoprimal, Vampire Survivors, Cocoon and Starfield. Also played a ton of Monster Hunter Rise and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Already had For Honor but was able to get some friends into it since it was a part of their subscription too.

Currently playing Headbangers, Wartales and Sea of Stars and having a good time with each of them.

I could never go only Game Pass when things like Pikmin 4, Tears of the Kingdom and Alan Wake 2 exist, but the majority of releases I've seen to the end this year were from GP.

I also have NSO but that's basically Nintendo just taking my money. Someday I'll go back and play the older Zeldas and Metroids but for now I get little use out of it

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The only subscription I have is Game Pass Ultimate and for me it's a great value.
Number 1 for value is the 250 highly enjoyable hours I played in Starfield.
Right now, I'm playing Dead Space remake and loving it.
Atomic Heart and High on Life - are 2 more $70 games I loved that were day one on Game Pass.
Plus, I played a ton of slightly less notable games also included in GPU.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know everyone likes to hate on it, but the Nintendo online thingy has been incredible. I’ve probably sunk a couple hundred hours into retro games this year. Getting all the Mario kart DLC was just icing on the cake.

Game Pass has also been pretty solid, but I admittedly haven’t been playing my Xbox lately.

I played a ton of games on Gamepass this year, but biggest value if you are just considering time is Starfield. 250+ hours so far and still not even to the end game. I know it's a divisive game, and I've even complained about my issues with it in the OT, but it still gives me those Bethesda exploration vibes and makes me want to play "just ten more minutes" constantly.

poodaddy

Easily Gamepass but PS+ is no slouch now. They're both at the point that I really like being subscribed to both, but financially it will be pretty silly to keep both soon, so I'll be letting PS + go next year when the subscription runs out. I don't have anywhere near the free time to play through even just my back log, so I might be letting go of Gamepass at some point in the future as well, but I'm paid up through 2026 so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Unknown?

I lost my script, could you PM it over to me? I'll edit this to the official narrative after, thanks!

twilo99

Too many to name two on gamepass.

But

Starfield
Lies of p
Hi fi rush
Forza
Cocoon

Plus more....

Insane service when you think about it.

That’s pretty much my list but I’d add

Quake 2