• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's been the biggest value from your gaming subscriptions this year?

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
So many posts that read like ads in here. I refuse to believe that anyone can authentically praise these services without reservation.

For my part, I just don’t have the time to play enough to justify a sub. PS Plus Extra is great, with a heap of games I’d love to play but will never get around to. It’s the only sub service I’m on, and paid up until some time in 2025, but I doubt I’ll be renewing unless something changes. I like to be able to put my games aside and come back to them 12 months later. To that end, the bog-standard of PS+ was (and is) far better, although the offerings don’t really do much for me personally.

MacReady13

I haven’t subbed to ANY subscriptions via gaming so I have saved so much money and time for games I ACTUALLY wanna play! And the devs know that I am paying for their games to own and not rent!

Robb

Gold Member
Has to be GamePass, but mainly because it saved me money on games I likely would have bought and not enjoyed in the end.

Hi-Fi Rush is the best game on the service I’ve played this year, and one of the few I actually bothered to finish. Other than that there’s been big stuff like Deathloop, RedFall, StarField, Forza etc. All of which I might have bought at full price but ended up not enjoying when actually playing them.

Reactions: Isa

hinch7

My gaming subscription consisting of buying Spider-man 2+FFXVI day one. Then trading them in a local video games shop and spending £14 total or so for many hours of gaming.

No rolling subs I have.. have been used much use or worth it personally. PS+ Premium has been largely a farce. And WoW/Classic has been pretty meh in terms of content and entertainment. Subbed to Gamepass for a month to try out Hi-Fi Rush and Atomic Heart and thats about it.

Last edited:

TexMex

I have all 3, but I buy most things I'm interested in straight away so I don't actually get much out of Game Pass or PS+.

I honestly get the most value out of Switch Online. There's so many great NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA games on there at this point that I more than get my 4 bucks a month out of it.

Majormaxxx

I game on consoles. But if my laptops were powerful, my answer would be epic game store. Lots of games there for free.

Second answer, prime gaming since I have prime anyway to buy from Amazon. Same deal. Lots of games for free.

Gamepass was not a good deal. Paid for a few months and played mostly halo infinite. For the money I paid for these few months I could have bought it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So many posts that read like ads in here.

PS Plus Extra is great, with a heap of games I’d love to play
Animated GIF

Goalus

Outriders

High-quality game, met my (very high) expectations. Played it for about five months and would love to have a full-priced sequel or more DLC (which sadly won't happen). I also bought the game because I like it so much.

baphomet

I guess technically it would be Game pass since I had it for 2 months and played Hi Fi Rush and Atomic Heart.

Overall this year has been completely trash subscription-wise. Paying for Game Pass or PS+ the entire year would have been a huge waste of money.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That’s pretty much my list but I’d add

Quake 2
Halo (the multiplayer is very good)
Flight Simulator
It takes two
Exoprimal

Shit, I really enjoyed my time with exoprimal. Ended up completing it and playing for a good 40 t0 50 hours.

Need to get in quake 2!

Fredrik

Nothing special yet. I played some The Ascent on PS5 through PS+, some Loop Hero, Benedict Fox and Hi-Fi Rush on Gamepass.

I have a big list of to-play-soon games though.
FC6
Lies of P
Wo-Long
Cocoon
Darktide
Lamplighters
Gotham Knights
Cities Skylines 2
Forza
Sea of Stars

Spyxos

That would be Gamepass. I've tried so many little games this year that I would have missed out on otherwise. And Free Epic games, but most of it is trash.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

That would be Gamepass. I've tried so many little games this year that I would have missed out on otherwise. And Free Epic games, but most of it is trash.
I second that, though I am tempted to buy certain titles regardless if they are on Gamepass or not, case in point being Robocop

Humdinger

I behave stupidly when it comes to subscriptions. I have done this several times over the years, but apparently I'm a slow learner. I take advantage of some "bargain" yearly rate. I download a couple games, play a few hours, and then hardly touch the service again for the remainder of the subscription term. I've done it with GP, I've done it with PSNow, and most recently I did it with PS Classics. Doh.

So, to me, subscriptions have been anti-value: I waste money on them, and I don't end up using them. I realize this is not a reflection on the subscription services themselves; it comes down to my own stupidity and tastes in gaming. I've stopped getting stoned, so maybe I will stop wasting money on subscription services. One can hope, lol.

AmuroChan

GP since I'm a churner. I sub for the month when there's a game I want to play, then cancel. So essentially I'm paying $15 to play a new $70 game every time.

winjer

Gold Member
Paying 15€ for one month EA Play Pro to play Jedi Survivor and Dead Space remake.

Gamepass has been a but of a hit or miss. Sometimes I get nice games like Lies of P. But then there are months where there is nothing new that I would like to play.
And then there was Starfield, a strong contender for biggest disappointment of 2023.

Paying 15€ for one month EA Play Pro to play Jedi Survivor and Dead Space remake.

Gamepass has been a but of a hit or miss. Sometimes I get nice games like Lies of P. But then there are months where there is nothing new that I would like to play.
And then there was Starfield, a strong contender for biggest disappointment of 2023.

Did the same myself recently. Picked up a month of EA Play Pro for £15 and played Dead Space Remake, Immortals of Aveum, NFS Unbound, EAFC & WRC. Likely sub another month to try Wild Hearts, Jedi Survivor and F1 23. Pretty much played EA's best for the past year or so for £30

simpatico

Whenever I buy a month of Gamepass I turn off recurring billing straight away. I use it like a Blockbuster Video rental service. The best things I've got from it is discovering the Yakuza series and Vampire Survivors. Both of which I promptly bought on Steam. Both are S Tier franchises I wouldn't have tried without it. I still think it's the best rental service of all time.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Game Pass

My favorite new games on the service were Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush and Quake II. I just finished Starfield and put about 190 hours and really enjoyed my time with the game. Hi-Fi Rush was just great stylish Japanese action-adventure. Quake II was cool because it also included all the past DLC, new DLC and Quake 64, all of which I never played back in the day.

I also put tons of time all throughout the year into Sea of Thieves and Halo Master Chief Collection. The Monkey Island content in SoT was great and the Season 10 update that added Guilds and a host of other updates was great.

Roberts

Yeah, GP has probably its best year so far. I must have played around 60 games this year and majority of them have been on GP. Starfield, Cocoon, Hi-Fi Rush, Lies of P, Jusant, Atomic Heart, Ghostwire Tokyo, Dead Space Remake were the highlights.

I also enjoyed a lot of Day One indies like Bramble, Planet of Lana, Ravenlok, Benedict Fox, The Bookwalker, Loop Hero. I still continue playing GAAS games like FH5, FM, Grounded, Sea of Thieves. Me and my kid played and enjoyed tons of kid games like Toem, Figment 2, Animal Party, Headbangers, Frog Detective, Mineko's Night Market, A Short Hike, Chicory.

Hell, I even enjoyed Redfall (after updates) and Gungrave G.O.R.E to certain extend and would have never ever bought them. The best thing is that there are still a ton of games that I want to play more like Age of Empires 2 and 4, Solar Ash, Texas Chain Saw Massarce, Darktide.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
HiFi Rush
Starfield
GoldenEye
Yakuza Ishin
Lies of P
Signalis

GamePass is doing great

Nintendo Online is not that bad either

Top Bottom