• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of the AO rating when it might as well be marked as 'banned'?

OmegaDL50

I would have hoped this topic would have maintained the civility in it without a implication that because I like the Mortal Kombat series it makes the assumption that I'm mildly psychotic and imbalanced individual.

Generalizations aren't cool people.

You might actually be surprised to know that a significant majority that plays these games CAN distinguish fiction and reality without it causing a negative mental impact.

Of course the point is I still think a distinction needs to be made between games that are honestly worthwhile of a Mature rating, as in mentally thought provoking games that bring up subjects that very few games cover such as Race, Religion, Politics, Social Standards, etc. that some developers may find uncomfortable to put into games, rather then the gratuitously over the top violent stuff.

Of course I've already mentioned this earlier in this thread.

I don't think people are missing much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AO-rated_video_games

Thrill Kill, GTA San Andreas, Manhunt 2, Indigo Prophecy, and Hatred.

5 games I can see a huge GAF interest in.

That's obviously because pretty much every console game goes out of its way to get an M rating, and obviously, the ESRB wants to ensure that as few big titles as possible end up going to an AO.

Really, I think Steam will hopefully be the one to break the mold and actually allow AO games with both sexual and violent content. I don't care which of those people are into, but the status quo isn't productive for allowing creators to potentially do anything truly interesting wtih either.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Eusis

Wait, indigo prophecy? That game is so tame compared to basically anything, even in that time period when we had GOW games coming out.
edit: maybe because of its use of religion or satanicisque stuff?
There were two sex scenes as I recall that actually WERE generally cleared for M... but then Hot Coffee happened, and the ESRB got a lot tighter about that, so they cut those out then had an uncut digital PC release. I'm guessing it'd probably be OK if it were a new release now.

This is why PEGI in Europe adopted the superior distinction of "mature" games with a 16 rating and 18 rating.

Although I do remember a few years ago back when some games still had bbfc ratings in the UK that a lot of games (especially resident evil games) would get bbfc 15 but pegi 18, so pegi could possibly be a bit too strict I think

Wait, indigo prophecy? That game is so tame compared to basically anything, even in that time period when we had GOW games coming out.
edit: maybe because of its use of religion or satanicisque stuff?

Quantic Dream took out a ton of sex scenes in order to release in America.

Yep. David Ca-gey loves making sex scenes in his videogames.

petran79

Banned
Of course the point is I still think a distinction needs to be made between games that are honestly worthwhile of a Mature rating, as in mentally thought provoking games that bring up subjects that very few games cover such as Race, Religion, Politics, Social Standards, etc. that some developers may find uncomfortable to put into games, rather then the gratuitously over the top violent stuff.

Of course I've already mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Ratings work kinda in a reverse way.
While in a lot of topics things are more lax and open minded, today there's no way a game would feature a scene like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bHMH9FSfg

OmegaDL50

Ratings work kinda in a reverse way.
While in a lot of topics things are more lax and open minded, today there's no way a game would feature a scene like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bHMH9FSfg

HOLY SHIT, that's creepy. Wow.

You're damn right something like that would probably not pass in today's gaming "standards"

The only series would likely get away with something like that today which gets away with a lot as it is would probably be Shin Megami Tensei and it's spinoffs, and some times I think the ESRB often looks the other way in some cases especially with the touchy subject of religion, or in this case making deals with demons, working with / for Lucifer, and basically waging a war against the Yahweh, which represents the God of Judeo-Christianity, hell even one of the games dealt with the resurrection of Adolf Hitler.

Of course I'm sure there is even some localization adjustments made, or outright banning the game in some countries which the games comfort zone that hits too close to some cultural or religious sensibilities.

Top Bottom