• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your downloadble GOTY so far?

mcz117chief

EDIT: Actually, it might be Dreamfall Chapters. I have been waiting for that for so many years.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (made me cry like a million times. Almost every chapter made me shed tears)

followed very closely by Child of Light

Noogy

There are way too many for me to list, and most of my time was spent playing iOS titles, of which there were many incredible entries.

If I had to choose a single title, it might be the Pixeljunk Shooter collection on Vita. A re-release sure, but it combined both games, and the original still remains one of my favorite downloadable titles.

Rhete

Banned
Going to have to vote for Cloudbuilt, really unique action/parkour speedrunning game that has hooked me for the better part of the year.

Shovel Knight is pretty good too though.

It's ahrd to say, I honestly think I might be playing it right now with Stealth Inc 2, need to finish it first though and see what else lands this year.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Shovel Knight for sure, with an honorable mention for Pix the Cat.

How far are you? It gets pretty amazing when you unlock a few more moves and start throwing in the limiters. Playing it by doing turn() some random attack and then run around until turn() recharges is definitely not fun, efficient, and/or even effective later in the game.

That's exactly how I'm playing. I don't see any other way to play.

Probably Freedom Planet right now. Shovel Knight comes close, but FP scratches an itch I've needed scratched a lot more than the one SK scratched.

Sintoid

So many great games to choose... I will go with Grimrock 2 just because my other choice, Velocity 2X has gone too far with difficult...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hate this distinction but ok

Valiant Hearts easily, I loved it. Crypt of the Necrodancer and Shovel Knight are close seconds, but I havent finished Shovel and Crypt is early access. Transistor didnt grab me (neither did Bastion in fact...hmm), I havent played Freedom Planet, and Jazzpunk / Stanley Parable were cool experiences but thats about it

Why are people saying Rogue Legacy? I guess the Vita version? Thats a 2013 game for me (its actually my 2013 goty too heh)

edit: also, Divinity, really? That and Wasteland are basically retail games, otherwise, every game is downloadable these days, so every game should count

It's 2014, we shouldn't be making this distinction between games anymore. All of my games so far this year have been bought through digital distribution, so my pick is Civilization: Beyond Earth. Wasteland 2 as #2.

tanuki

Towerfall for me. Been playing it with my girlfriend, (who had no gaming experience until a few months ago where we played NSMBU together), and we played through the entire game, now replaying the game in Hardcore. It's the perfect couch coop game (and the versus mode is also excellent), it's just a shame that most people will never experience it.

steven28

Child of Light. Proof that not everything with Ubisoft's name on it is an overhyped AAA downgraded bullshot handholding QTE fest.

Yep completely agree,absolutely loved this game,it's the only ubisoft game i have liked in about 4 years.

lt519

That's exactly how I'm playing. I don't see any other way to play.

One quick way to dramatically change this is put Jaunt() as a secondary ability on a move. This allows you to use it during turn() cool down. Then you can do something like turn(), crash() to stun lock, and then use a move during cool down on stunned enemy. One of my favorites is to put Jaunt() onto Ping() and turn it into a bullet hell game.

As you open up more moves pay attention to the passive abilities and secondary abilities they give. It's not always to best option to have four primary abilities in use.

It was just a joke :)

Fair enough, I'm just trying to avoid this thread turning into a discussion about whether there should even be a downloadable category. There used to be, and it made more sense back then, but this isn't some official reward we are handing out here. Just having fun with the term and picking out favorite games that would have been in that category a few years ago. If people want to pick Divinity, go right ahead, it's still getting crushed by Shovel Knight and Transistor.

gunstarhero

Shovel Knight for sure.

Resogun Expansion and Road Not Taken get honorable mention.

I wanted to say Strider... but it wasn't as great as I waned it to be.

VLiberty

Velocity 2x could be my GOTY period, even though I haven't played Sunset Overdrive and DKC TF.

But since we're talking about downloadable GOTY I have no doubts. Velocity 2X takes the crown.

Honorable mentions to Olliolli and TxK

Top Bottom