• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your downloadble GOTY so far?

lt519

I guess I just don't really feel any difference between the two, so what medium it is distributed via seems like an arbitrary categorisation.

For the sake of argument it's not totally arbitrary. Download only titles have a lot less exposure to the casual gaming crowd as they aren't something that are heavily advertised outside of the online stores they are purchased in. Through this thought exercise I've already picked up on a lot of games I will buy/play because I didn't know of or glossed over due to no mass advertising/media review campaign (like TxK). No one size fits all to the situation, but then again this is just for fun so we can call it an arbitrary line and then you can participate or not. No biggie, it was just meant to spark some conversation.

I heavily enjoyed both Wolf Among Us and Shovel Knight. Hotline Miami 2 could be better than both, but I don't think that's making this year anymore.

charsace

Right now I vote for State of Decay Lifeline, but that will probably change once I play Hotline Miami 2(will probably be my overall GOTY).

It's between Super Time Force

2599057-5054926104-STF_a.png

Shovel Knight

Although I find myself leaning more towards Shovel Knight so it's probably Shovel Knight.

D4, without question.

The production values, the gameplay, the story, the characters, the writing, it's all immense and shows what's truly capable when it comes to smaller budget projects.

I don't get it. I don't see Towerfall in the OP list, not even in honorable mentions? There must be something wrong. Towerfall is my GOTY, and not just for digital titles.

But downloadable titles I've played this year, list:

1. Towerfall
2. Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition (just for co-op)
3. Guacamelee Super... edition
4. Flower
5. Hotline Miami
6. Outlast

I'm sure there are a few I've forgot, and I'm not sure that some of these count anyway.

lt519

brb, making thread for best game that comes in a box.

Drive by thread whining? You sound like a joy

I don't get it. I don't see Towerfall in the OP list, not even in honorable mentions? There must be something wrong. Towerfall is my GOTY, and not just for digital titles.

It was in a few lists, but no #1s, it's probably since it's best enjoyed in local co-op. Those games don't get a ton of attention around here.

I bought Transistor because of this thread... and I'm not really enjoying it. :(

How far are you? It gets pretty amazing when you unlock a few more moves and start throwing in the limiters. Playing it by doing turn() some random attack and then run around until turn() recharges is definitely not fun, efficient, and/or even effective later in the game.

MattyG

Banned
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, by far. I love that type of exploration/mystery game, so it hit all the right notes.

calder

Hohokum for me. The PS4 version of Unfinished Swan would be my runner up.

Transistor had great art, a genre I love, oodles of style, and a story I liked but sadly the combat didn't click for me. Really disappointing, I should give it another shot.

does dota2 count?

if not then is child of light, ubi became my favorite pub then it just went to shit from there but maybe FC4 is gonna save them in my eyes!

ZeroX03

Banned
Oddworld, followed by Pullblox World and Korra. Every other indie/downloadable title I can remember has been a disappointment. Looking at you, Velocity 2X.

RdN

It probably would be Outlast if I had the courage to play it.. but since I don't, I'm going with Guacamelee on the Xbone. Really fun and challenging (on hard) game.

Zia

Transistor.

Close second is Nidhogg. The Sailor's Dream and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will probably make my overall GotY list as well. The rest of the year is looking pretty thin for downloadables and indies.

Top Bottom