• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your downloadble GOTY so far?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I really hope that all the affection I see in this thread for TxK, Steamworld Dig, and Guacamelee have been translating into money for those developers. They deserved it for giving us such delightful experiences.

I think Retail GOTY would be more interesting, because majority of games I experience are digital.

Child of Light retail version had some nice goodies.
ibe9Dw1MfVDlvn.jpg

Grief.exe

Divinity
Shovel knight
Transistor
Banished

You don't even need to attach the downloadable restriction, these are the GOTY either way.

Shovel Knight in first
Transistor in second
Korra in third

Still have to play Velocity 2X, D4 and KI Season 2 (if that counts). But yeah, downloadable game have been really on point this year.

Azure J

This thread came at such a good time. I'm looking for good recommendations for PSN store games. Guess I'll be trying a lot of things mentioned here sooner rather than later.

Kinda OT: Has Journey PS4 been dated yet?

Vire

Child of Light and special shoutout to Monument Valley since iOS games don't get enough love around these parts.

Shovel Knight by far.

I feel this has been a relatively weak year for downloadable games though, where are this year's Papers Please, Stanley Parable, Gunpoint etc?

By the way this thread reminds me I still gotta play Valiant Hearts.

Mikke

1. TxK (I love this game soo much)
2. Hearthstone
3. Transistor

Haven't played Shovel Knight yet, since I'm waiting for a European WiiU release, but that game sounds like it will probably land in my top 3.

jblank83

Shovel Knight
NES Remix 2
Hearthstone
Legend of Grimlock 2

I'd include Wasteland 2, but I don't really consider that part of the "small game" category.
Crypt of the Necrodancer gets a mention as well, however it's still in Early Access with a lot of work to be done.
Transistor also seems pretty good, however I've only played 30 minutes, so I can't really comment on it.

Beyond that, Binding of Isaac Rebirth will possibly top all of them soon.

lt519

1. Counterspy
2. Transistor
3. Valiant Hearts

I was originally really harsh on Counterspy. I beat it through expert and got all trophies except the Undetected Mission trophy but was critical on the repetitive "random" levels. I didn't mind the random levels that put you at a disadvantage but after playing through 3 times the layouts got repetitive. I look back at it much more fondly now and appreciate it's art direction, humor, and gameplay more. I originally gave it an 8, then dropped it to a 6.5 after playing through on expert, but I'd bump it back up now that the dust has settled. It's a hard game to judge and for some will click as being totally awesome while others will just hate it from the start. It playing like shit on Vita didn't help it's cause, but the PS4 version was fine.

Mrbob

Outside of Dota 2 ( which I won't count ) my vote has to go Infested Planet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204530/

Very cool action/rts/strategy game. You control a number of marines and fight off a swarm of aliens. The concept is simple but the execution is great. Your goal on each map is to take out all the alien hives as this is where the aliens spawn from. Once you take over a hive you get currency called battle points. You use these points to upgrade troops or give yourself some assistance ( call down fire streaks, get a healing pod, get a turret ). There are a vast number of ways to attack your objective of taking out these hives. Do you upgrade your troops or give assistance to your current troops? You can't wait long to make a decision though as other hives will pump out aliens. At the same time you can't be too hasty in your decision making as brute force alone won't work. The combination creates very fun and intense battles for each map.

Dad

I've yet to play Shovel Knight, but I found Valiant Hearts to be a very pleasant surprise. I'd probably put New n' Tasty at a close second.

I was originally really harsh on Counterspy. I beat it through expert and got all trophies except the Undetected Mission trophy but was critical on the repetitive "random" levels. I didn't mind the random levels that put you at a disadvantage but after playing through 3 times the layouts got repetitive. I look back at it much more fondly now and appreciate it's art direction, humor, and gameplay more. I originally gave it an 8, then dropped it to a 6.5 after playing through on expert, but I'd bump it back up now that the dust has settled. It's a hard game to judge and for some will click as being totally awesome while others will just hate it from the start. It playing like shit on Vita didn't help it's cause, but the PS4 version was fine.

Yah for me it was tough to decide between transistor and counterspy. Yes the levels do get repetitive, but the gameplay options keep it enjoyable for me. I ended up giving the edge to counterspy due to it's brilliant artstyle and it being the developer's first game. Also I only played maybe 7 downloadable only titles so far. 2 of them being on Xbox.

wouwie

It was a good year for downloadable games. For new games released in 2014, i'd pick Hohokum. It was an audio visual delight and fun to play and discover. Valiant Hearts was flawed but memorable too and i liked it a lot. Child of Light was a delight aswell even for a non-rpg player like me. Fez would have been my GOTY but it isn't a really a 2014 game. Furthermore, i enjoyed The Swapper, Steamworld Dig, Velocity 2x and Pixeljunk shooter ultimate and maybe some others. If Trials Fusion is considered downloadable, then that would feature high on my GOTY list too. Replaying Flower was awesome aswell.

All in all, an excellent year for smaller games.

lt519

It was a good year for downloadable games. For new games released in 2014, i'd pick Hohokum. It was an audio visual delight and fun to play and discover. Valiant Hearts was flawed but memorable too and i liked it a lot. Child of Light was a delight aswell even for a non-rpg player like me. Fez would have been my GOTY but it isn't a really a 2014 game. Furthermore, i enjoyed The Swapper, Steamworld Dig, Velocity 2x and Pixeljunk shooter ultimate and maybe some others. If Trials Fusion is considered downloadable, then that would feature high on my GOTY list too. Replaying Flower was awesome aswell.

All in all, an excellent year for smaller games.

Feel free to count Fez if you played it on Playstation this year, it was new to that. We're playing it fast and loose with basically no rules around these parts. But Hohokum could use the recognition.

It's a shame that a great game like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse didn't even make the honorable mentions. Such a fantastic game, but so many damn good games this year that it couldn't even get a mention let a lone a favorite (one person saying they potentially might like it on Wii U).

Qassim

I think we need a better word to describe these games rather than "downloadable". All my games are downloadable, so this would just be a "GoTY list" of all games.

Odrion

Banned
Wow, a lot of votes for Transistor. That's funny considering that game isn't good.

1.) Rogue Legacy
2.) Divinity: Original Sin
3.) TxK

lt519

I think we need a better word to describe these games rather than "downloadable". All my games are downloadable, so this would just be a "GoTY list" of all games.

What were going for here is a game that doesn't have a physical retail release. Exceptions are limited edition physical releases for specific regions (Divinity) or physical releases that occur after the games initial download release (Child of Light). Without being to anal about it, just for fun. Basically at heart it was meant as a downloadable title. We're allowing PC gamers in on the fun even though 95% of their non-plat games fall in this category.

Qassim

What were going for here is a game that doesn't have a physical retail release. Exceptions are limited edition physical releases for specific regions (Divinity) or physical releases that occur after the games initial download release (Child of Light). Without being to anal about it, just for fun. Basically at heart it was meant as a downloadable title. We're allowing PC gamers in on the fun even though 95% of their non-plat games fall in this category.

I guess I just don't really feel any difference between the two, so what medium it is distributed via seems like an arbitrary categorisation.

Fbh

Haven't played that many downlodable games this year.

But my downlodable Goty would have to be Strider.
It looked and played great, I loved the metroidvania style level design (worked really well with the wall climbing mechanics), it had a good amount of rewards for exploring and a great balance of how often you get new skills.

Also, the story was kept on a secondary level so you could focus on the fun part without having to si through countless tedious cutscenes

Top Bottom