• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your preferred Oscar Best Movie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I am actually. I can't wait for Season 3! That show makes the food, that you know are made out of humans, look very appetizing.

haha I asked because you talked about gore in SOTL being hard to watch while Hannibal has...copious amounts of it, was just curious

haha I asked because you talked about gore in SOTL being hard to watch while Hannibal has...copious amounts of it, was just curious

I think because in Hannibal, it's over the top, almost artistic. SOTL, they made it as realistic as possible with using real FBI profilers as advisers for the movie.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Lawrence of Arabia followed by No Country for Old Men.

And piss to all who complain about No Country's ending. It is completely satisfying and answers all questions without having to tell you.

LoA though is one of the great cinematic experiences I've ever had. My first time seeing it was in theaters with the 4k Restoration back in 2012. Be jealous.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I think because in Hannibal, it's over the top, almost artistic. SOTL, they made it as realistic as possible with using real FBI profilers as advisers for the movie.

yup I agree with your view. It's got great atmosphere, but SOTL's is sick and unsettling increasing the hard to watch factor tenfold

spekkeh

Banned
... what?

I dunno, I thought two older movies held up extremely well; 12 Angry Men and Shichinin no Samurai. For some reason neither won the respective oscar. The rest.. I can see that Casablanca etc. are good movies, just dated.

Peru

I dunno, I thought two older movies held up extremely well; 12 Angry Men and Shichinin no Samurai. For some reason neither won the respective oscar. The rest.. I can see that Casablanca etc. are good movies, just dated.

Most of the greatest Hollywood movies made - and that means the greatest, most entertaining and rewarding to watch today - were released from the 30s to the 60s.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I go with "All Quiet on the Western Front". It's a great movie that still packs a punch after 80 years.

max1362541357-inlay-cover.jpg

BTW Looking at the list I'm amazed at the number of movies that undeservedly carried the Oscar home. Even though I really like The Artist, it's not a movie that will stand the test of time and be remembered for decades to come. Same goes for The King's Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, The Departed, Crash, Chicago, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, etc.

It also saddens me that 90% of the people will have seen only a fraction of these movies, usually the ones released in the past 15 years. How many people here have seen Oscar winners like It Happens One Night, Grand Hotel, How Green Was My Valley, Best Years of Our Lives, Lost Weekend, Wings, ...? I'm glad to see mentions for Rebecca and All About Eve though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Godfather.

Crash

I'm not joking either

Out of all the movies on that list, you think Crash is the best one?

What about the completely missing second act. I thought that film was awful all around, typical Coen bros autofellatio. Still it has its fans for some reason.

Calling out the Coen Bros. for self-indulgence after picking Forrest Gump as the top Best Picture of all time. Jesus take the wheel...

inm8num2

I'll go roughly by decades

pre-1940: All Quiet on the Western Front
1940s: Casablanca
1950s: On the Waterfront
1960s: Lawrence of Arabia
1970s: The Godfather Part II
1980s: Platoon
1990s: Unforgiven
2000s: Gladiator

Some of my favourite films are on this list, like:

American Beauty
Kramer vs. Kramer
Schindler's List
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter

For personal re-watching tastes:

Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Return of the King

The movie that I think is the best and I also enjoy:

Godfather Part 2

Does anyone else find it weird American Beauty won? I love the movie so much, but I don't think of it as an Oscar-movie. They go for historical and dramatic movies. American Beauty was a black comedy.

Does anyone else find it weird American Beauty won? I love the movie so much, but I don't think of it as an Oscar-movie. They go for historical and dramatic movies. American Beauty was a black comedy.

The Insider should have won that year.
Outstanding and commercially underrated film.
Got nominated for 7 Oscars and didn't win a damned thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom