• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your preferred Oscar Best Movie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
It's almost like you don't have to follow a traditional act structure in order to be an effective film!

It sure was effective in annoying the crap out of me. There will be blood was also uncomfortable to watch, but at least it had character progression, acting and was an all around complete movie.

Calling out the Coen Bros. for self-indulgence after picking Forrest Gump as the top Best Picture of all time. Jesus take the wheel...

In what world did Robert Zemeckis give up on his own movie and got waxed lyrically about by people wanting to belong to the in-crowd.

I do love the fact that we live in a world where No Country for Old Men actually won.

Also that this year's BP is down to Boyhood and Birdman. God knows we've had worst BP showdowns, even if my favorite(The Grand Budapest Hotel) will probably only escape with an Screenplay win for Wes Anderson.

It sure was effective in annoying the crap out of me. There will be blood was also uncomfortable to watch, but at least it had character progression, acting and was an all around complete movie.

It just sounds like it was the perfect storm of elements you don't like. Its construction--that is, a deconstruction and subversion of genre in general (of course, Western in particular), character as metaphor, lack of traditional three act structure and other conventions (character progression, for one, although I'd argue Sheriff Bell goes through some pretty complex changes by the end), is not new.

Agree to disagree, although implying it didn't have (good) acting is mind-boggling to me.

oh stop it. Pulp Fiction was the best and most important film of the year and of the 90s and, by just about any metric, it deserved the award

Agreed, Pulp Fiction is one of the most important and influential films made in the past 25 years. But you have to remember the Oscars are a very "of the moment" thing. Forrest Gump was a phenomenon that year.

Well I just learned The French Connection won best picture and Shawshank Redemption didn't.

Probably Unforgiven since I can't say Shawshank.

Wilbur

Banned
I own every single Film on DVD or Bluray that won The Best Picture Oscar from 1950 onwards, so I've seen everything from All about Eve to 12 Years a slave.
Pre-1950 a few, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Mutiny on the Bounty, and All Quiet on the Western Front. My two favourite films pre-50's never won, To kill a mocking bird and Citizen Kane.

TKAM was 60s wasnt it? 63 iirc?

Having watched every Best Picture winner, I think a big portion of the worst ones came early on. The first sound movie (The Broadway Melody) is pretty bad. Then we have incredibly boring stuff like Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld (this one drags forever), the life of Emile Zola and Cimarron (quite possibly the worst winner ever, so goddamn terrible), all within the first decade of the Oscars.

Having watched every Best Picture winner, I think a big portion of the worst ones came early on. The first sound movie (The Broadway Melody) is pretty bad. Then we have incredibly boring stuff like Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld (this one drags forever), the life of Emile Zola and Cimarron (quite possibly the worst winner ever, so goddamn terrible), all within the first decade of the Oscars.

Agreed on most of those, although I found Emile Zola to be pretty interesting. Cimarron is indeed atrocious. Around the World in 80 Days is a terrible one that came a bit later.

Phinor

Thought this would be easy but it's really not. Have to go with The Departed even though it's a remake and all that. It's just perfect for what it is and I always enjoy a good Scorsese crime/thriller.

Other top candidates are Return of the King, Schindler's List, Lawrence of Arabia, American Beauty and umm.. A Beautiful Mind? I have to keep re-watching The Godfather, one day I'll like it as much as I should.

CassSept

Either Godfather or Godfather Part II.

Flashback scenes of Godfather Part II are absolutely brilliant but on the whole Godfather wins for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest comes close for me though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I didn't love The Sting, but I went in wanting to. Not sure why.

the sting is great but very overrated. Hustle is nothing to write home about, Hamlish wrote much better themes, GRH directed much better movies and Paul and Robert and Robert gave much better performances elsewhere

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
the rest of my top 25:

28 Days Later
A Few Good Men
American History X
Audition
Beetlejuice
Interview with the Vampire
Its a Wonderful Life
Jacob's Ladder
Memento
Misery
One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest
Road to Perdition
Saw
Schindler's List
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Terminator 2
The Brave Little Toaster
The Matrix
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
The Sixth Sense
The Social Network
The Truman Show
To Kill a Mockingbird

I gotta say, that's a really good list. Too bad Crash is at the top of it. :)

In what world did Robert Zemeckis give up on his own movie and got waxed lyrically about by people wanting to belong to the in-crowd.

If you don't think Forrest Gump is the most self-indulgent baby boomer film of all time, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not going to get into how utterly wrong you are about No Country For Old Men not having an ending or whatever the hell.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and American Beauty.

What struck me from reading this list is how many of those films I'd only really consider 'good' rather than 'great' or 'classic'. So many of my favourite movies either missed out to those winners or didn't get nominated.

If Boyhood wins this year, that'd be up there with the two mentioned above. Whiplash, too, actually, though that's got no chance of Best Picture.

Liha

Banned
The Last Emperor: The movie is a masterpiece. The different locations, actors, soundtrack and the storytelling are stunning and everything fits together perfectly.

Same. I love Amadeus. Humor, drama, pathos, music - it has everything.

Hey where's my highfive? (#169)

Holy shit! You were the first person I should have high fived! Stupid "last post" thing took me to page three...

Henceforth, you, sir, shall be known as Awesomedeus and you get all the high fives.

I find Amadeus to be the most rewatchable, and definitely one of my favs.
And a retroactive internethighfive to you, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom