• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your preferred Oscar Best Movie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If preferred means something I'd happily watch again right now, then either The Sting, No Country for Old Men, or Silence of the Lambs.

RJT

I actually liked that Crash won that year. It's not exactly my favorite movie (I rated it 8/10), but at least it wasn't Brokeback Mountain. I would have preferred Munich, but I have no problems with Crash.

Empty

lawrence of arabia or the apartment

not exactly shocking news, but seeing it laid out like that, god the oscars have stunk for ages. i think i like about three or four best pictures only from like 1980 onwards.

glaurung

American Beauty.

Even though I really, really like Gladiator and Braveheart, seeing those movies win an Oscar raises my eyebrows.

I expect Boyhood to win this year and not The Imitation Game (which would be the obvious choice). And Boyhood does not deserve this accolade.

Ratrat

I don't feel strongly about any of them. :(
I do wish Fellowship of the Ring and Master and Commander won their respective years.

Wilbur

Banned
American Beauty.

Even though I really, really like Gladiator and Braveheart, seeing those movies win an Oscar raises my eyebrows.

I expect Boyhood to win this year and not The Imitation Game (which would be the obvious choice). And Boyhood does not deserve this accolade.

Boyhood deserves it far, far more than The Imitation Game.

Ikael

The Apartment, Million Dollar Baby, The Godfather II, Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca & The silence of the Lambs. Outstanding classics, all of them.

I've seen every Best Picture winner. That's right, all of them. I used to be quite the Oscar fanatic/trivia buff.

For the record, the year Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain was the year that finally broke me and I stopped caring. Protip: "caring" about the Oscars in any sense other than as a meaningless, entertaining spectacle is a very bad idea.

My pick would probably be All About Eve, though it's obviously a tough choice because there are quite a few great films there (and just as many bad ones).

No Country for Old Men is the best film to win the top prize since the turn of the century.

Oersted

I've seen every Best Picture winner. That's right, all of them. I used to be quite the Oscar fanatic/trivia buff.

For the record, the year Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain was the year that finally broke me and I stopped caring. Protip: "caring" about the Oscars in any sense other than as a meaningless, entertaining spectacle is a very bad idea.

My pick would probably be All About Eve, though it's obviously a tough choice because there are quite a few great films there (and just as many bad ones).

No Country for Old Men is the best film to win the top prize since the turn of the century.

The Citizen Kane snub, 2001 not even nominated for Best Picture and losing on makeup against Planet of Apes, Chicago winning, Goodfellas losing against Wolves, Private Ryan and Thin Red Line losing against Shakespeare etc etc...

Oddduck

Out of that list, my favorites were:

The Godfather,
Forrest Gump
Schindler's List
The Silence of the Lambs,
The Departed,
American Beauty
Rocky
Casablanca

How many have you all seen, though? In case anyone cares, and for my own tally, I'll bold what I've seen. I own three I've yet to watch: Dances with Wolves, West Side Story and Braveheart.

I love classic films and need to watch the rest. This list reminds me of that, as well as how great The Apartment is.

2012 - "Argo"
2011 - "The Artist"
2010 - "The King's Speech"
2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2008 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
2007 - "No Country for Old Men"
2006 - "The Departed"
2005 - "Crash"
2004 - "Million Dollar Baby"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"

2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
2000 - "Gladiator"
1999 - "American Beauty"

1998 - "Shakespeare in Love"
1997 - "Titanic"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
1993 - "Schindler’s List"
1992 - "Unforgiven"
1991 - "The Silence of the Lambs"

1990 - "Dances With Wolves"
1989 - "Driving Miss Daisy"
1988 - "Rain Man"
1987 - "The Last Emperor"
1986 - "Platoon"
1985 - "Out of Africa"
1984 - "Amadeus"
1983 - "Terms of Endearment"
1982 - "Gandhi"
1981 - "Chariots of Fire"
1980 - "Ordinary People"
1979 - "Kramer vs. Kramer"
1978 - "The Deer Hunter"
1977 - "Annie Hall"
1976 - "Rocky"
1975 - "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
1974 - "The Godfather Part II"
1973 - "The Sting"
1972 - "The Godfather"
1971 - "The French Connection"
1970 - "Patton"

1969 - "Midnight Cowboy"
1968 - "Oliver!"
1967 - "In the Heat of the Night"
1966 - "A Man for All Seasons"
1965 - "The Sound of Music"
1964 - "My Fair Lady"
1963 - "Tom Jones"
1962 - "Lawrence of Arabia"
1961 - "West Side Story"
1960 - "The Apartment"
1959 - "Ben-Hur"
1958 - "Gigi"
1957 - "The Bridge on the River Kwai"
1956 - "Around the World in 80 Days"
1955 - "Marty"
1954 - "On the Waterfront"
1953 - "From Here to Eternity"
1952 - "The Greatest Show on Earth"
1951 - "An American in Paris"
1950 - "All About Eve"
1949 - "All the Kings Men"
1948 - "Hamlet"
1947 - "Gentleman's Agreement"
1946 - "The Best Years of Our Lives"
1945 - "The Lost Weekend"
1944 - "Going My Way"
1943 - "Casablanca"
1942 - "Mrs. Miniver"
1941 - "How Green Was My Valley"
1940 - "Rebecca"
1939 - "Gone with the Wind"

1938 - "You Can't Take It with You"
1937 - "The Life of Emile Zola"
1936 - "The Great Ziegfeld"
1935 - "Mutiny on the Bounty"
1934 - "It Happened One Night"
1932/1933 - "Cavalcade"
1931/1932 - "Grand Hotel"
1930/1931 - "Cimarron"
1929/1930 - "All Quiet on the Western Front"
1928/1929 - "The Broadway Melody"
1927/1928 - "Wings"

How many have you all seen, though? In case anyone cares, and for my own tally,

I own every single Film on DVD or Bluray that won The Best Picture Oscar from 1950 onwards, so I've seen everything from All about Eve to 12 Years a slave.
Pre-1950 a few, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Mutiny on the Bounty, and All Quiet on the Western Front. My two favourite films pre-50's never won, To kill a mocking bird and Citizen Kane.

graffix13

Since '86, I'd say Unforgiven is my favorite. Platoon is a close second.

For the whole list, I really liked Amadeus and Midnight Cowboy.

No question: No Country for Old Men. LoA is probably right up there, I haven't seen it in a long time, though.

And piss to all who complain about No Country's ending. It is completely satisfying and answers all questions without having to tell you.

Agreed. It's really it its own tier among Oscar winners (shoulder-to-shoulder with a few others, maybe).

What about the completely missing second act.

It's almost like you don't have to follow a traditional act structure in order to be an effective film!

Annie Hall,
Braveheart.

I'll also defend The English Patient. I mean, Fargo was better, but the English Patient is much better than most people claim. It is a very classical Hollywood style romance, so it wasn't very trendy during the mid-90s, but it holds up very well.

top 10:

original-5090-1393441595-6.jpg

1. All About Eve (1950) - Eve. Eve, the golden girl. The cover girl. The girl next door. The girl on the moon. Time has been good to Eve. Life goes where she goes. She's been profiled, covered, revealed, reported -- what she eats and what she wears, whom she knows and where she was, and when and where she's going. Eve. You all know all about Eve. What can there be to know that you don't know?
2. Annie Hall (1977)
3. Unforgiven (1992)
4. Godfather 1/2 (1972/74)
5. The French Connection (1971)
6. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
7. Casablanca (1943)
8. 12 Years a Slave (2013)
9. Amadeus (1984)
10. Schindler's List (1993)

As for worst...man its not anything within the last 50 years, lol. Some of them early films they picked are JUNK. Cimarron is bad, Broadway Medley's camera can't even keep the camera in focus/straight for the whole film its so incompetent, etc. Cavalcade gotta be #1 for me. Once you've seen it, the conversation moves instantly away from "what's the worst Best Picture winner?" to "what kind of collective madness (other than periodic Anglomania) possessed the Academy that year?"

jett

D-Member
Let's go Full Top 10 on this:

1.- Lawrence of Arabia
2.- The Godfather
3.- The Godfather Part 2
4.- The Last Emperor
5.- Amadeus
6.- Rocky
7.- Gandhi
8.- Schindler's List
9.- Braveheart
10.- Ben-Hur

FTF

There Will Be Blood...I mean come on, we all know that was the best movie of 2007.

But of those, The Godfather I/II or Schindler's List.

Fjordson

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. Casablanca

The recent blu-ray release of Lawrence of Arabia gave me a whole new appreciation of it. I liked it before, but damn does it still hold up (and look incredible on blu).

mp1990

Banned
It's hard to choose, but I think One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest edges Schindler's List.

I forgot One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest,such a great movie,really need to see it again. Thing is,i probably only saw 10% of the Oscar Best Movies,really need to see more of them,specially the older ones.

Ramza

Banned
Schindler's List or Lawrence of Arabia

2005 is the only year that I've really had a bad taste in my mouth about best picture. Every single other nominee that year was better than Crash.

Annie Hall,
Braveheart.

I'll also defend The English Patient. I mean, Fargo was better, but the English Patient is much better than most people claim. It is a very classical Hollywood style romance, so it wasn't very trendy during the mid-90s, but it holds up very well.

I absolutely adore The English Patient. It's such a classy, beautiful film.

All you gump lovers should feel ashamed for taking Shawshanks award!

I've never seen The Shawshank Redemption, so I don't really care.

hold on shakespeare in love won best picture ?

One of the first Academy Awards shows I saw, and Best Picture went to this movie I never heard of before, never saw, and ultimately faded into obscurity, like so many other Best Picture winners.

How many have you all seen, though?

12, plus various pieces of Gladiator.

jtb

Banned
The Godfather.
Lawrence of Arabia, runner-up.

All you gump lovers should feel ashamed for taking Shawshanks award!

oh stop it. Pulp Fiction was the best and most important film of the year and of the 90s and, by just about any metric, it deserved the award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom