• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your preferred Oscar Best Movie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ben_hur_1.jpg

Have you...have you seen other movies? I'm afraid you may be trapped in an abusive movie relationship here.

the rest of my top 25:

28 Days Later
A Few Good Men
American History X
Audition
Beetlejuice
Interview with the Vampire
Its a Wonderful Life
Jacob's Ladder
Memento
Misery
One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest
Road to Perdition
Saw
Schindler's List
Seven
Silence of the Lambs
Terminator 2
The Brave Little Toaster
The Matrix
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
The Sixth Sense
The Social Network
The Truman Show
To Kill a Mockingbird

I haven't seen all of them, but I can confidently say that of those I've seen, Ben-Hur was my absolute favorite. My father pushed me to watch it and I loved it.

Bitanator

Forrest Gump, perfect movie with an endless stream of quotes. Watched Mutiny on the Bounty last night again, Charles Laughton's performance is great

mstevens

Man, it's tough to choose between The Departed, Return of the King, Forrest Gump, Sound of Music, and West Side Story.

Probably have to go with Forrest Gump, although Good Will Hunting is my favorite movie... Just not on that list.

This reminds me I need to rewatch Schindlers List. We watched it in high school but I know a bit more now and I think it would mean more to me as well.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, no contest.

Got a big soft spot for Marty, though. "We ain't dogs so much as we think we are."

Ninjimbo

This choice is much harder than I thought, but I think Unforgiven is the one I would ultimately fall on since it's in my top ten and one of the best movies I've ever seen. The ones that come close are Braveheart, Godfather 2, Million Dollar Baby, Schindler's List, and Return of the King.

Edit: I thought Apocalypse Now had won Best Picture in 1979. How did it lose?

Of the films that have won since the 1950's (haven't seen all of the Best picture winners before that date) my favourite is probably Terms of Endearment, although On the Waterfront, The Apartment, and Midnight Cowboy run it pretty close.

As far as films that I'm not a fan of then probably two from that list. Ordinary People which I simply don't like, and Chicago as I'm still salty that it beat Gangs of New York.
Also despite liking 12 Years a Slave I thought Dallas buyers club was stand out film of last years Oscars.

Looking forward to this years event as it's a strong year, I'd imagine Boyhood will win the Best picture award.

Wabba

No Country for Old Men
The Departed
American Beauty
The Silence of the Lambs
The Dear Hunter
The Godfather
Rebecca

Number45

For someone who enjoys films hugely, I've seen an alarming few of these. :'(

I think this weekend it's finally time for me to find the time for Lawrence of Arabia, which I've owned on BR for a couple of years, then seek out ways of watching more of them.

That said, often these films don't appeal to me at all so it might not go well.

Of those I've seen, I adore both Gladiator and Platoon (that soundtrack) so they will be my picks for now.

The Hurt Locker
Return of the King
A Beautiful Mind
Gladiator
Breaveheart
Schindlers List (I need to watch this again, pretty sure I was drunk)
Unforgiven
Silence of the Lambs
Dances With Wolves
Rain Man
Platoon
Rocky
Oliver!
Gone with the Wind

A poor showing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom