• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are we getting a AAA game set in Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Or at least a game with good production values, not like that trash on Steam.

Aztecs, Mayas, Incas, Olmecs, hell, I'd also take the ones in North America if we can get something that looks polished and modern.

I just watched Apocalypto and for all its historical accuracy and depiction problems, the sets, costumes, atmosphere, music, and art designs are fucking rad. I would love a game set in this era. Ubisoft are great at recreating ancient cities, but I don't care for their AC games, plus the next few ones will not be set in Mesoamerica so we're out of luck. Doesn't look like anyone else is interested in picking up this setting either. The first Uncharted is set in the Andes for a large part but it's in the modern world.

Thoughts? Y/N?

Last edited:
I would love to see a spiritual sequel to Bloodborne in Aztec culture with blood sacrifices and the old ones/gods hovering above. Lovecraft wrote a lot about the old gods of Mesoamerica. It is almost uncanny how well it would fit.
God damn, what a dream game.

Gaiff

I would love to see a spiritual sequel to Bloodborne in Aztec culture with blood sacrifices and the old ones/gods hovering above. Lovecraft wrote a lot about the old gods of Mesoamerica. It is almost uncanny how well it would fit.
I had this exact thought a while ago. This could be absolutely incredible.

amigastar

Something like this painting from Craig Mullins would be nice
1400750517890-scaled.jpg

Flabagast

I agree it's weird we never had a big budget game in this setting. It could turn into a beautiful dark open world with somptuous cities, thick jungles and breathtaking vistas all around.

That says, Shadow of the Tomb Raider comes pretty close and is straight up gorgeous, you should try it if you haven't already

StueyDuck

Or at least a game with good production values, not like that trash on Steam.

Aztecs, Mayas, Incas, Olmecs, hell, I'd also take the ones in North America if we can get something that looks polished and modern.

I just watched Apocalypto and for all its historical accuracy and depiction problems, the sets, costumes, atmosphere, music, and art designs are fucking rad. I would love a game set in this era. Ubisoft are great at recreating ancient cities, but I don't care for their AC games, plus the next few ones will not be set in Mesoamerica so we're out of luck. Doesn't look like anyone else is interested in picking up this setting either. The first Uncharted is set in the Andes for a large part but it's in the modern world.

Thoughts? Y/N?
Sometime between now and the future i imagine we might get one

Papa_Wisdom

I wanted to be an archeologist as a kid and wanted to study these cultures as I find them absolutely fascinating. More games around this subject would be great.

A game like this made by a Western studio would be a shitshow. Bad idea, unless it's a dark fantasy based on myths and legends, with no aspirations of historical accuracy.

GymWolf

Maybe the next tomb raider or unchy is gonna have that location, who knows.

Or maybe ubisoft is gonna make an AC during that period.

Gaiff

Yeah sure.

GettyImages-113492770-ee85ea6.jpg
I think the point being made by Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme was that Mesoamerican culture was much more than human sacrifices. Obviously, not a necessary response because the person they replied said "their culture of blood and death," referring to that specific part of their culture and not saying it was the culture as a whole.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think the point being made by Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme was that Mesoamerican culture was much more than human sacrifices. Obviously, not a necessary response because the person they replied said "their culture of blood and death," referring to that specific part of their culture and not saying it was the culture as a whole.

Oh, that's true of course. Aztec culture was more than blood and gore of course. I've read a few historical novels about the world of the Aztecs and their first encounters with the Spanish invaders like for instance Gary Jennings 800 page behemoth "Aztec". Or Federica de Cesco's "Prince of Mexico" which I read when I was a child. Aztec culture is very different from anything else and absolutely fascinating.

But you can't deny that the world of the Aztecs was brutal and harsh seen through western eyes. And you could also make a great fantasy action game set in that world taking inspiration from tomb raider and god of war. Or a horror game with Lovecraftian elements. Both ideas could be the basis for great games with a truly original setting.

Gaiff

But you can't deny that the world of the Aztecs was brutal and harsh seen through western eyes.
Yep, but to be fair, it wasn't all that uncommon in the ancient world and even the Spanish had just come out of their infamous inquisition when they made first contact with the Aztecs. Hell, Roman society was still seen as the pinnacle of civilizational progress and those were the same guys who crucified 6000-something slaves on the Appian way because they dared spark a rebellion lol.

So yeah, I wholeheartedly agree that some aspects of Aztec culture were brutal, but I also don't single them out. Brutality was very on demand back then.
And you could also make a great fantasy action game set in that world taking inspiration from tomb raider and god of war. Or a horror game with Lovecraftian elements. Both ideas could be the basis for great games with a truly original setting.
I would love that but to be honest, I'd prefer if the protagonist wasn't an outsider. Like God of War would be cool but it'd still be Kratos in a different setting. I'd like to play as one of the gods of the Aztec or Inca pantheon instead but obviously, this wouldn't be GOW. As for Tomb Raider, it's Lara Croft and always set in the modern world, long after those societies collapsed so they don't really scratch the itch I have playing IN those ancient cities.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Well, kinda stating the obvious, but you really shouldn't be expecting anything this big while there is no strong game development industry on the region.

I would've loved an Assassin's Creed taking place there. Something the size of Mirage but set in Teotihuacan, Tenochtitlan, or even Cahokia.

ZoukGalaxy

Would love it as well but honestly, if I had to choose, I would really love also something set in Africa and not only in a jungle.

makaveli60

There was a rumor not too long ago that an AC will be set there but it seems it was false, sadly. It would have been much more interesting than the Japanese gyme they will release. They are too late with that anyway, thanks to Ghost of Tsushima.

Fbh

You'll probably have to wait for some bigger development studios to appear in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
I don't think a US/EU dev is going to spend AAA budgets on an unproven setting and with the risk of being accused of being "too white" to make the game.

nowhat

I don't think a US/EU dev is going to spend AAA budgets on an unproven setting and with the risk of being accused of being "too white" to make the game.
TBH, the only people that really complained about Ghost of Tsushima and "cultural appropriation" were the usual suspects from Kotaku et al, Japanese players and devs seemed to love it. Hell, the game directors were appointed as permanent tourist ambassadors. You do still have a point though, people can be weird nowadays.

RAIDEN1

A game based of the Last of Mohicans, would be epic (if done right) hell even Rockstar could have done a different take instead of the usual cowboy story/Wild West with Red Dead Redemption...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Whenever data tells investors and boards that it will sell, I guess. It's all up to marketing and potential sales.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You'll probably have to wait for some bigger development studios to appear in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
We’d probably end up with an isekai like Forspoken but set in pre-Colombian Mesoamerica.

Fbh

TBH, the only people that really complained about Ghost of Tsushima and "cultural appropriation" were the usual suspects from Kotaku et al, Japanese players and devs seemed to love it. Hell, the game directors were appointed as permanent tourist ambassadors. You do still have a point though, people can be weird nowadays.

True.

But I think Japanese settings and concepts sort of get a pass because they've always been popular and they've frequently been used in pop culture (if not the setting itself then at least concepts like Ninjas and Samurai). Also Japanese people aren't really seen as marginalized in the US anymore.

I think "latinos" are still more of a touchy subject, not to mention the history of native american people with "white people".

Without any big precedent of this setting being appealing to a lot of people (unlike Japan) I don't think any AAA studios is going to risk it.

Last edited:
The hard part is that the Spanish did a too thorough job in destroying the local culture. In fact they did it so well, some of them regretted what they did and try to rescue what is left. So what we now know as the Central and South American culture is actually compiled by the Spanish from the bits and pieces that remained, which they published.

The Central and South Americans basically had their version of a mass murder "Chinese Cultural Revolution", to the point that we can probably never rebuild it in a videogame that wasn't mostly guesswork.

Top Bottom