• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did you get your first gray hairs?

Spyxos

Gold Member
At 34, I noticed scattered gray hairs, but it wasn't really noticeable. Now at 37 I woke up this week and suddenly I have large areas of gray hair. I totally hate the way it looks.

And I suddenly look about 10 years older. A friend said I should dye the hair, but then that is too much trouble for me. How long does it take to get used to the new look? And when did the first gray hairs appear for you?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Around 30 something on the side of my head. Nothing major. I'm 40 now and yeah.

It's as if the grey hair gene rolls the dice every other month with a big FU to me.

Don't care about my hair it's mostly the beard that gets to me.

UwDWXwE.jpg

I'm getting them right now and absolutely bricking it. Everyday I'm losing 2 inch hairs, though fortunately I have a tonne of hair growth still. I'm using Alpecin to stave off the effects somewhat, but I'll probably use something like coconut oil aswell. Planning on taking finasteride for the foreeable future.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm getting them right now and absolutely bricking it. Everyday I'm losing 2 inch hairs, though fortunately I have a tonne of hair growth still. I'm using Alpecin to stave off the effects somewhat, though I'll probably use something like coconut oil aswell. Planning on taking finasteride for the ongoing future.

Explain these products. Please.

Explain these products. Please.
Alpecin is a German caffeine shampoo that supposedly stimulates hair roots and encourages hair growth. I've seen mixed results whilst using it. Coconut oil on the hair is a home remedy that appears to have some success and is something I'm looking into. Finasteride is a drug which stops the thing which causes hair loss to stop occuring, though you have to keep taking it indefinitely. The only permanent thing when it comes to hair loss are hair grafts, but those are often expensive.
B087R9SFVM_1_576x.jpg

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Alpecin is a German caffeine shampoo that supposedly stimulates hair roots and encourages hair growth. I've seen mixed results whilst using it. Coconut oil on the hair is a home remedy that appears to have some success and is something I'm looking into. Finasteride is a drug which stops the thing which causes hair loss to stop occuring, though you have to keep taking it indefinitely. The only permanent thing when it comes to hair loss are hair grafts, but those are often expensive.
B087R9SFVM_1_576x.jpg

Appreciate your response. I'm personally not in need for the first and latter product but I do have used coconut oil/butter for a long period.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm 30 and my mrs. pulled a massive one off my head the other day, it's beginning.

I'm fine with it, either I go silver fox or as soon as I start getting a bald patch, everything is coming off. Nothing worse than people living in denial about hair loss. Just shave the fucking thing.

Mossybrew

I think late 30s? Even now it's evident mostly in my beard, just a little on my head. I don't mind, I say bring the gray.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I do get dry scalp for which I use this shampoo

ABKsRu1.png

Maybe once a week a most. Followed with some fancy conditioner.

I don't think putting chemicals on your scalp/hair on a daily is a good idea. Diet could play a role as well.

Also, cold showers keep your natural oils containt. Daily hot showers facilitate shit

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Late 30's for me, not entirely sure how bad it gotten because I dye it.
It looks messy otherwise with bits of grey here and there and is more noticeable when it's short
My beard gone white on the sides
The darker parts of my hair are fine but the lighter parts are white.
I can almost get away with no one noticing, but I know it's there
Although it was a pain getting my colour, still don't think it's right.

LordOfChaos

The first ones, maybe 27. In the last two years a bunch of new ones have sprung up all at once, I guess it was a stressful time. I'm 32.

Spyxos

Gold Member
B087R9SFVM_1_576x.jpg
This should also work for the beard?

G-Bus

Banned
30/31. Could see a bit of it when i get my hair cut and he trim the sides.

Now it looks like it's about half and half on the sides and I'll be 36 this year.

Found 1 grey hair in my beard a couple months back.

I don't mind at all. Get more attention from early 20s now haha.

Ikutachi

At 37 it's noticeable when I grow a goatee before shaving it off. Not so much on my head butI can always find some on a close mirror inspection. I hate the mortality reminder.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Late 20's I noticed a couple strays up top. Now I'm mid-late 30's I've got a quite a bit of white in my beard and grays spreading throughout the rest of my hair...and I don't give a shit.

GutsOfThor

B087R9SFVM_1_576x.jpg

Have never tried this. Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered me a bottle that will be here tomorrow

thefool

Late 20's.
Its not that you get old, but your mirror is there to remind you every day about it.
Life can be such a bitch.

Last edited:

GutsOfThor

Oh and to answer the question. I'm 40 and only have two or three grey hairs on my head. I have a bunch of white pubes though

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
At about 14. My family has a tendency to get grey hair earlier. My uncle had a head full of grey hair by the time he was 20.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Around 40 I was full on Reed Richard, but I cut it very close so the overall impact is pretty negligible. No beard but the stubble is pretty salt n.peppa.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I had noticeable grey before the end of my 20s (*with very dark hair, so it gives the classic salt & pepper that women love), and now in early 40s I have much more grey than black.

Trilobit

Sometime in my late 20s, but only on the sideburns. But I'm a blonde Scandinavian so you have to be close to even spot them. I'm not too bothered by them.

ssringo

Early 20s. I had a natural Rogue stripe for the longest and that was it. Not nearly as big as Rogue's was but it gives you an idea.

x-men rogue GIF

At this point there's more peppered in and my stripe is less prominent.

poodaddy

I first got white hairs when I was 16, and it was a strangely noteworthy amount,. but I didn't really get any more until around 22 or 23, then no more until 31, and then recently at around 34 I got a fuckin ton of em. 35 now, and yeah it's pretty damn obvious and visible, but I would never dye it; just don't really give that much of a shit. It seems like I get a lot more white hairs whenever I go through a pretty stressful period. All of those times of my life when I got the different areas of whites were pretty horrible periods. I had some really bad social stuff around 16, getting picked on and getting my ass kicked a lot. Early twenties was the Army, 31 was I think just actual age, and 33 through 34 I was the middle of a potential second divorce which didn't end up happening and I moved from the west coast of the US to the east coast.

Really hoping things stay fuckin calm for me now....as I'm honestly over being stressed all the time. That being said, my daughter is getting to that age where she's starting to get curious about.....well, grown up stuff I'll say, and she's saying she's depressed now, a long with my wife being a fuckin basket case of emotions currently and for the past 4 years, so fuck man I don't know. I'll probably look like Gandolf by 42 at the rate I'm going.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I first got white hairs when I was 16, and it was a strangely noteworthy amount,. but I didn't really get any more until around 22 or 23, then no more until 31, and then recently at around 34 I got a fuckin ton of em. 35 now, and yeah it's pretty damn obvious and visible, but I would never dye it; just don't really give that much of a shit. It seems like I get a lot more white hairs whenever I go through a pretty stressful period. All of those times of my life when I got the different areas of whites were pretty horrible periods. I had some really bad social stuff around 16, getting picked on and getting my ass kicked a lot. Early twenties was the Army, 31 was I think just actual age, and 33 through 34 I was the middle of a potential second divorce which didn't end up happening and I moved from the west coast of the US to the east coast.

Really hoping things stay fuckin calm for me now....as I'm honestly over being stressed all the time. That being said, my daughter is getting to that age where she's starting to get curious about.....well, grown up stuff I'll say, and she's saying she's depressed now, a long with my wife being a fuckin basket case of emotions currently and for the past 4 years, so fuck man I don't know. I'll probably look like Gandolf by 42 at the rate I'm going.

You have my sympathies friend. Perhaps see it like this; grey hairs means you've been through some shit and then some. Great honoust post man. <3

Last edited:

poodaddy

You have my sympathies friend. Perhaps see it like this; grey hairs means you've been through some shit and then some. Great honoust post man. <3
Thanks bro. I suppose that's true, but I tell ya what,....I really wanna relax haha. It's been an interesting journey though for sure.

In my twenties, now at 43 my beard is pretty much grey/white and my head is kind of silver on the sides and darker on top. I've noticed quite a few of young girls giving me a lot of attention since I'ved turned grey/silver

Last edited:
I’m 31 turning 32 next month. Even though I think I’m aging well, and I have a very healthy set of hair, I’m starting to begin seeing a few white hairs here and there. It’s gotten a lot more ever since I started my teaching career at 28, lol.

I’m 31 turning 32 next month. Even though I think I’m aging well, and I have a very healthy set of hair, I’m starting to begin seeing a few white hairs here and there. It’s gotten a lot more ever since I started my teaching career at 28, lol.
I've got pictures before having my first kid and a few months after, world of difference in the amount of grey hair I got back then lol

JCK75

I got on single white hair at the age of 41..
today I have a few peppered in, and lately me beard is greying on the outer jaw areas (I turned 48 on Monday)

Ownage

Early 40s the grey started popping out. It first arrived via eyebrows and chest hair, and later on my head.

Billbofet

I have been salt and pepper since mid-30s.
My beard has much more grey/white than my head, and lately, my eyebrows are popping up white.
Just thankful that I have hair. Most of my friends are cueballs.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Early 30s. I’m 37 now and it’s not too bad yet. Most grey hair is in my beard but it’s still largely black.
In my hair I just notice a few at my sides. Nothing too bad. Even had a few grey hair getting color again.

Generally the darker your hair, the earlier it’ll go grey. That’s why my beard is getting grey faster than my head.

Top Bottom