• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Gamepass reaches "critical mass" it will become tiered and far more expensive..

Jokerevo

Banned
That acquisition won't pay for itself.

When there are enough subscribers Gamepass will evolve into a multi-tiered buffet, you can still eat chicken but if you want to eat fried chicken with special sauce you have to pay more. So AAA behemoths like Starfield and ES6 will be available on a tier that will be known initially under its codename "WHITE FLAG" but then officially announced as the "MASTER CHIEF" tier or words to that effect.

Thoughts? :p

Last edited:

When there are enough subscribers Gamepass will evolve into a multi-tiered buffet, you can still eat chicken but if you want to eat fried chicken with special sauce you have to pay more. So AAA behemoths like Starfield and ES6 will be available on a tier that will be known initially under its codename "WHITE FLAG" but then officially announced as the "MASTER CHIEF" tier or words to that effect.

Thoughts? No.

They could do that. But the PR would be awful. They'd only do shit like this once the competition is no longer viable.

I think they're more likely to just raise the price wholesale.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It depends. More subscribers equals more money. Eventually they will have to do something, but right now they don't even have competition.

Journey

Banned
That would address the people complaining that GamePass will have nothing more than low tier budget games... and then they'll complain about the price tiers lmao.

wipeout364

People always compare it to Netflix but Netflix has no other option for making money other than the subscription fee. Expansions, micro transactions and conversion to sales and the subscription fee all feed into the revenue generation. Gamepass is an incentive to get people into the ecosystem. Does Fortnite need to raise its price by your logic, maybe you should forward your post to epic.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
It'll be a fun ride until then!

1448677531469293.gif

Dolomite

You hoping or speculating OP?
If the price goes up in 3ish yrs I won't be shocked. If it goes up a single cent within the next 18 months I'll be nervous

10 € is already too much for many people including me seen the catalog ... After if the catalog improves greatly with the games of the moment, why not ...

Metnut

This is obviously true. Gamers will have a nice bargain for 2-3 years but the success of gamepass would be a huge boon to games as a service model taking over gaming.

LOLCats

Banned

no... that would be a failure. at least in my opinion. not paying $10-$15 per month for indies and super old shit.

Last edited:

Megatron

I think it will be harder to string together $1 memberships, but no, I don’t think it Will become ‘far more expensive’. Maybe a slow gradual increase over time like Netflix has.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If the price goes up I think about the value and make a decision on whether I keep it.

Like every service, ever.

And like every service ever I don't contemplate this until the day comes... because it's just a service I could cancel at any time. If I want access to a given game permanently I can buy them separately. Decision to cancel is even easier with Gamepass as there is nothing exclusive to it, and no real reason for MS to make anything exclusive to it (since they can make tons of money off of you buying things at full price like always anyways.)

Last edited:
Of course. I've said it countless times before, but MS are fine losing money on Game Pass until they get to a point where both players and developers become dependent on it in some way. Once they get there they can easily make that money back by ratcheting up prices for subscribers and offering less money to game makers.

Kdad

See that shit Disney pulled with Mulan....expect it.

The Alien

Banned
I'm sure there will be a price increase much later down the road. At this point they're still gaining subscribers.

Right now im playing games in GamePass. Im worried about what its costing me NOW...not at some unknown point in the future.

Interesting that there are so many GamePass concern threads that focus on imaginary price increases when Sony has already confirmed they are raising game prices. Where's the concern?

The Shepard

I've always been a bit skeptical of gamepass, it's almost to good to be true especially after today's news adding to it. I've been on it since last year. Once all there exclusive games start landing on there then the price is going to go up. It can't be sustainable at the price it is unless the amount of users skyrocket. Imagine how many users will be buying a month just to play the newest games, so instead of the usual £/$60 (now 70) they'll be spending £/$10 (as low as 6 atm). The other thing is that the quality of games could nosedive as the budgets are lower, so more AA then AAA. Just look at how halo Infinite turned out. Microsoft at the end of the day want to turn this into a profit making machine.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
GamePass is already $10-$15 a month, which IMO is damn near the upper ceiling in terms of impulse, or "gee I forgot about this shit and they've been charging me for a year." Even at $20 is when people start to look at this stuff on their credit card bill. I don't think there is a lot of room to raise the price, so I don't think they will do it.

MS could focus on getting people to buy the games (right now it's just 20% off), push DLC, etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My feeling about GamePass is kinda like the early days of mobile gaming, everyone's excited because of the range of options and the lowered barrier to entry and above all else a sense that "what's the limit on this thing's potential success?"

Trouble is, as with mobile, most end-users don't consider how the market environment, its predominant usage style and economics over time shape the content on it.

My prediction is that making a game, and just slapping it on Gamepass is not going to be viable long-term for many developers. As with mobile, some small fish will find it useful at the beginning, but as the channel fills up with bigger hitters, they are going to find themselves pushed to the brink. The ones who survive and prosper wil be the ones providing content that best fits the service; long-term, habitual experiences that continuously replenish themselves with MTX.

What's worse is the effects on the market outside of GamePass, and how should it get very popular it'll start impacting how most games are made, because lets face it if a new gamer has 100 things to pick from an a-la carte buffet, how likely are they to go out on limb and take a chance on some niche thing that they actually have to pay up-front for?

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
Agree with your well-articulated take. It will likely turn into a GaaS platform for GaaS games.

My feeling about GamePass is kinda like the early days of mobile gaming, everyone's excited because of the range of options and the lowered barrier to entry and above all else a sense that "what's the limit on this thing's potential success?"

Trouble is, as with mobile, most end-users don't consider how the market environment, its predominant usage style and economics over time shape the content on it.

My prediction is that making a game, and just slapping it on Gamepass is not going to be viable long-term for many developers. As with mobile, some small fish will find it useful at the beginning, but as the channel fills up with bigger hitters, they are going to find themselves pushed to the brink. The ones who survive and prosper wil be the ones providing content that best fits the service; long-term, habitual experiences that continuously replenish themselves with MTX.

What's worse is the effects on the market outside of GamePass, and how should it get very popular it'll start impacting how most games are made, because lets face it if a new gamer has 100 things to pick from an a-la carte buffet, how likely are they to go out on limb and take a chance on some niche thing that they actually have to pay up-front for?

MiguelItUp

Honestly if their prices were to increase in the future I'm sure they'd observe how Netflix did it. Or anything other successful/semi-successful streaming service for that matter. Small increments, etc. The more they provide and the more they offer is only going to make it a better deal even if it goes up $1-$2. As long as the total stays under a threshold that people feel is fair.

Hezekiah

Banned
Of course it will, as it is GamePads is not sustainable. The price increase won't be all at once, I expect a number of smaller increases in relatively quick succession - maybe annually like Sky TV in the UK.

Guilty_AI

I'm always conflicted about Gamepass. On one side it's an amazing offer on the other I like owning my games.

It's a battle I cant win though. Nothing beats convenience as time as shown again and again. It's a great counter strategy to Sony and Nintendo.
You can have both y'know. Play games on gamepass and whenever you find something you really like, you buy it.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

Of course. I've said it countless times before, but MS are fine losing money on Game Pass until they get to a point where both players and developers become dependent on it in some way. Once they get there they can easily make that money back by ratcheting up prices for subscribers and offering less money to game makers.

I think at that point we'd see the same thing that happened with streaming, namely, a dozen different competing services will pop up with exclusive content on each. The issue with gamepass is that it hinges on keeping the developers of the games on it happy. If their publishers think they can make more money with their own service, its gone. Then we're back to exclusives being the most important thing again, as very much things like netflix originals and disney+ series have become.

odhiex

Gamepass is a fascinating service. I think that it is unique to Microsoft that has really deep pocket who would be able to cope the cost in a long term.

Yes, in the future I think the service may look very different compare to now. Playstation might offer something similar but not at the same size as Gamepass.

My prediction, Gamepass would slowly introduce tiers in the subscription, 2 years (at the earliest) from now.

Maybe something like $10/month for basic 100 titles, $20/month for 300 titles and premium $30/month for 500 titles or more. Yeah, something like that.

I think at that point we'd see the same thing that happened with streaming, namely, a dozen different competing services will pop up with exclusive content on each. The issue with gamepass is that it hinges on keeping the developers of the games on it happy. If their publishers think they can make more money with their own service, its gone.
Microsoft has the advantage of being firmly established in the console hardware business while also owning Windows, which is more or less mandatory for PC gamers. On top of that, they also own all of the server infrastructure Game Pass is running on. Any publisher or developer looking to start a competing service is going to be facing one hell of an uphill struggle.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned

The very definition of FUD right there.

jigglet

Banned
And when that happens, you know what you do? You go.

It's a month-by-month subscription. You aren't locked into a long running plan. This is a non-issue.

ZehDon

... Gamepass is already tiered. Gamepass Ultimate has EA Play, whereas Gamepass for PC or Gamepass for Xbox doesn't. Will there be more optionals? Possibly. As long as they're optionals, we've still got... options.

Top Bottom