• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Gamepass reaches "critical mass" it will become tiered and far more expensive..

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
No doubt that this will happen, but I think it will take longer than most people expect. MS is after users, and they're willing to pay for them. They're looking forward to a future where hardware is abstracted out of the equation and people sign up to stream games run on MS server hardware. In order to get there and make that profitable though, they need to be ubiquitous. More than anything, I think this buyout is a play for Playstation loyalists. MS want them to see that the games they're paying $70 for can be had, all bundled together, for that $15/month (which is also why I think MS will continue to offer future Bethesda/ZeniMax games on PS). MS wants Gamepass on Playstation and they want Sony to have to choose between giving that to their customers or risk them buying into the MS ecosystem. Rock and a hard place for Sony.

Personally, I think Sony's days are numbered. The next generation will be defined by game streaming, not home hardware. MS will release a streaming-only box this generation.

No doubt that this will happen, but I think it will take longer than most people expect. MS is after users, and they're willing to pay for them. They're looking forward to a future where hardware is abstracted out of the equation and people sign up to stream games run on MS server hardware. In order to get there and make that profitable though, they need to be ubiquitous. More than anything, I think this buyout is a play for Playstation loyalists. MS want them to see that the games they're paying $70 for can be had, all bundled together, for that $15/month (which is also why I think MS will continue to offer future Bethesda/ZeniMax games on PS). MS wants Gamepass on Playstation and they want Sony to have to choose between giving that to their customers or risk them buying into the MS ecosystem. Rock and a hard place for Sony.

Personally, I think Sony's days are numbered. The next generation will be defined by game streaming, not home hardware. MS will release a streaming-only box this generation.

Agreed. People writing off services like xCloud and Stadia are foolish too. This is absolutely the future and once the kinks are ironed out the potential will far surpass any fixed architecture hardware box that could be sold to a mass market. Sony will have to go third party and be a software company if they don't pull off a miracle.

Neo_game

Obviously they will increase the price with time but I guess the main plan it to sell only a part of game and rest with be DLC, micro-transaction etc, they will find a way to get more money out of people. I don't like the idea of game as a service at all.

Graciaus

You will probably see a lot less $1 subs. People know about it now and know it is a good deal. I'm sure eventually it will go up in price like everything does. An outspoken minority will complain and some will cancel. But most will just except it.

Top Bottom