• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will western devs realize that femininity sells?

Are we ever going to see femininity back in western games?

• Total voters

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well, this is in the top global sellers on steam

capsule_616x353.jpg
BRB got to go buy this 😂

Sadly, I don’t think femininity sells. If that was the case, Japanese and Asian games in general would get more attention and dominate the sales charts. I don’t think lot gamers care about attractive females or femininity. Personally, I would really like to see more feminine characters in games again because it’s a nice change of direction from what we normally get.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
All pictures are from trailers shown today at Gamescom.

asArhtS.png

g24kqwt.png

SXi0g2u.png

9nTATrH.png

CEr4DVk.png

Jv5748a.png

This one is from a chinese game also shown at Gamescom

OMgmqGJ.png

Disclaimer: I haven’t watched the trailers, so I’m just going by initial impressions.

1. Crappy art style
2. A guy in drag? Is it a joke character in a game, not to be taken seriously?
3. Legit looks like a normal real life woman. Are you serious? She looks good.
4. Don’t see the problem? Is it Harley Quinn? How does she look when she’s not snarling?
5. Not feeling that one. I’d say she’s not attractive
6. Old woman right? About what I’d expect.
7. Artwork doesn’t look so hot in that shot.

I don’t feel everything is deliberate. Remember how horrible Netherealm’s women looked in the older MKs and Injustice? It was bad artwork. I think that’s the case with some of these.

DavidGzz

Is it nice to look at? Sure. But I couldn't care less if the sorceress in the upcoming D4 is hot or not. I usually choose male characters to have someone to relate more with anyway.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dunno but Western females character models don’t good most of the time for me compared to the Japanese ones (not the anime looking ones).

They are trying desperately get rid of the idea ,that games sexualise and objectify women, only way to that to do that, is to make them ugly, so expect a lot more ugly females going forwards, not much we can do about it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kind of funny how Nintendo sticks to their stereotypical Mario slob saves princess in dress plots, yet Nintendo management, employees, their gamers, and the media dont care one bit and love the games.

Last edited:

aclar00

Some of the remarks here about freedom of the artists (to make whatever characters they want, etc) seem misplaced. No one is against freedom of the artists; the claim is that western publishers and major corporate platforms are the ones pushing the more woke/trendy/"empowering"/diversity concepts.

Most programmers and developers would not be that way by default--if anything, it's the socially least acceptable dudes who build systems at home (and probably used to run elaborate war campaigns on tables with miniatures) who typically pushed gaming forward and who contributed almost the entirety of gameplay concepts we still use today. And they earned the right to shape the tastes of those genres. But in recent years, another agenda--not from creatives primarily, but from corporate leaders--has greatly distorted hiring and other incentives to sanitize gaming for a "mass market" appeal, where that is defined as "anything which reveals how much hobbyist men have contributed to shaping gaming and its tastes must be suppressed."

That's how you end up with the current mess. Let the creatives do what they do, and fire the PR / middle-management / hand-wringing localization and corporate teams, kill any kind of diversity oversight on gaming content and let the developers themselves create what they want.

I never understand this argument...this take acts like suits have never been in charge...like the 80s, 90 and 2000's were a special timeframe in which devs got to be a creative as they wanted.... times change...western companies constantly shift gears to whats popular in the general population.

This is why Rambo, John McClain and whoever the hell Chuck Norris would play were popular in the 80s. You think everyone writing those movies were like... "hey, look at me, im being creative, even though my script is just a slight variation of another from two months ago.... Suits said "give me big guns, sex and cigarettes..."

Same goes with games and sexualization...just because its common during a certain timeframe or you personally like it or think its how things should be, doesnt make it a defacto exhibition of creativity.

Devs 5 , 10, 15, 20 and and 30 years ago likely had the same level of creativity as devs of today. The parameters have just changed and some people dont like these new parameters because it doesnt fit their taste.

Fahdis

Lmaooo, this thread is hilarious. I wonder what the man to woman ratio is in this thread (because if its just men arguing its tragic) and also how many are pretending to be women much like in PlayStation Home back in the day 😂.

It's only really an issue if you play video games using your penis.
It is not for majority who complain. You see, human eyes are allways attracted to beautiful things, including nature, movies, arts, colors and ....
Video games no exception everybody are looking for a place where they can see beautiful things or expriences that are not reachable for them. Before these sjw bullshits that ruined many things and original material these things were hardly a problem. Designers were free to create both aspects. For instance I dont think Seidie in RDR2 is very beautiful or sexy, but i havent heard people hate her. Why ? Because she is where she belongs. These things become a problem when someone is trying to force them on people. Like Star Wars sequels. Or I Witcher. So you take a world that two aspects can exist and force your agenda on the people. Sounds very familiar, doesnt it ? We have seen it all the way in history.

If they want to change the culture that women are more than their looks (which is 100% correct but also their appearence is the beauty of creation) first they must try to understand people culture. There is quote from Sword in the storm which says "it is conaider wise to understand a nature (culture) of a human before making him (her) an enemy"

So im not trying to give advise or look philosophical but the main problem of the recent years are forcing agenda on people. So many would feel attacked and try to resist.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I guess that wanting for a woman to look like a woman and dress, talk and behave like one and not a man with slight feminine traces in 2022 is creepy and incel

Looking at some of the strawman here some would think that this topic was created to ask for pre teen girls with no closes, big boobs and fuck me eyes so all of us can jerk off the same way neil jerks off thinking of abbys next strap-on

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Isn’t that like firing the straight guys? Unless I’ve completely misunderstood everything I think lesbians actually like hot women.
Yeah ... the problem is not lesbians, is blue haired fat feminists wanting beauty off their sights and/or beta males trying to virtual signaling to hot feminists they want to f*

Kimahri

Banned
Yes. Those people trying to force agenda behind the game and shove it to kids brain should be fired . I have no sympathy for people like that. These are just games . Not a political platform . And that’s what they are trying to do in every media too. Including movies as well.

And yes, it’s off putting . I can’t enjoy a game where the character is ugly. Regardless if it’s a male or female.
I suggest you take off your tinfoil hat for a second, and watch this video:

In this, the actress portraying Jesse Faden from Control walks around the Remedy offices. It's nothing special, but I think you should watch it. Pay attention to how identical she is to the ingame character, now consider why the two looks different. Now consider the importance of lighting to set the mood, now consider when, why and how makeup is used.

And now consider whether or not Remedy felt it more important to use a visual style that would tell their story well, or to give you something to wank to.

Not playing Control because the main character is a "dude", ffs, seek help.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I guess that wanting for a woman to look like a woman and dress, talk and behave like one and not a man with slight feminine traces in 2022 is creepy and incel

How exactly are all women supposed to dress, talk, and behave in your videogames?

What are the guidelines that every developer needs to be following, to not upset fragile boys who need their masturbation fantasies?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Since you didnt quote my full post , and made the same strawman argument as everyone.. no you dont deserve a answer.. keep the good fight sjw weirdo and go find out what is a woman by yourself once you get out of your daddy basement

What are you? Fifteen? Your post screams virginity lol

No answer once again, and no clue what a straw man means. Go back to your Dad’s Playboy stash.

Kimahri

Banned
Since you didnt quote my full post , and made the same strawman argument as everyone.. no you dont deserve a answer.. keep the good fight sjw weirdo and go find out what is a woman by yourself once you get out of your daddy basement
I'd really like for you to tell me what a woman is.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'd really like for you to tell me what a woman is.
Well since is 2022 my idea of a woman maybe outdated for some people ... but thats the beauty of going out and finding for yourself, you can go to shopping malls, supermarkets, offices, anywhere that is not a cesspool of feminists and sjw and the average woman is very easily identified

Right now Im on the gym working out, and theres lots of women here, tall, short, slim, not so slim, blond, brunette etc.. all types and sizes ... but guess what ? All look like woman.. theres not one here dressed in men closes acting masculine with strange choice of hair .... so if the devs want to believe that woman nowdays has to look like man or be necessarily ugly and masculine..well im sorry but they live in twitter blue hair land

Last edited:

solidus12

I think it’s brilliant that Insomniac found a way to throw a body like that in there without anyone raising hell over it. Housemarque did it in Returnal too, even with the main character. Ballsy! But they did it through a middle-aged character not aimed to be pretty. Who knows maybe some day someone dare to design Lara Croft or Joanna Dark like that. I doubt it’ll happen in the near future though. It’s a touchy subject. Goes for male characters too, except for Kratos everyone look like your next door neigbour. Incredibly boring if you ask me. Imagine a western studio designing Street Fighter lol
Are you referring to Selene’s butt?

Kimahri

Banned
Well since is 2022 my idea of a woman maybe outdated for some people ... but thats the beauty of going out and finding for yourself, you can go to shopping malls, supermarkets, offices, anywhere that is not a cesspool of feminists and sjw and the average woman is very easily identified

Right now Im on the gym working out, and theres lots of women here, tall, short, slim, not so slim, blond, brunette etc.. all types and sizes ... but guess what ? All look like woman.. theres not one here dressed in men closes acting masculine with strange choice of hair .... so if the devs want to believe that woman nowdays has to look like man or be necessarily ugly and masculine..well im sorry but they live in twitter blue hair land
And that is fine, most women actually look like women.

But this shit is so exaggerated when it comes to games. 9 out of 10 times when people are gonna demonstrate how purposely ugly and manly women are these days they use idiotic shots of some weird facial expression, some dodgy angle, or some scene where the lighting fucks up.

Sure, there are other examples, but if you're gonna demonstrate how ugly women are, it doesn't hurt to also show what the men look like in those games.

Take Control and all the weirdos thinking Remedy designed her to look like a man. No they didn't. They used and actress they had worked with before, the model is almost a 1 to 1 representation of the actress. But the game is dark, bleak, has unflattering lighting (for a very good purpose), and she is purposely looking tired and worn out. I think that's a great artistic choice that heightens my immersion. But some people don't want that, they want t and a no matter how silly it is.

And those are the people I have a problem with. People who can't accept that not all games are made for sex appeal. Would I welcome a Lara Croft without mental issues wearing hotpants back? With open arms. There is nothing wrong with a hot chick running around in shorts and a tank top in the steaming hot jungle. Just put some clothes on her when winter is coming.

Himuro

This woman knows what's up. She's talking about the MCU phase 4 being basically, woman = great, white men = evil... But this agenda can be seen in both film and gaming and her very well reasoned conclusion applies to both, imo.

Gaming hates men? LOL.

Monjiro

Neo Member
To those saying that there is no objective beauty standards - check out highest female earners on onlyfans. You'll notice some "trends"

Top Bottom