• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

Interesting stroke. So you are more realistic because you think your suppositions will be surely a consolidated truth. If I was you I wouldn't be so sure about it. Acquisition not necessarily migrate console buyers. Thanks to God I'd say.
I was talking with him about the difficulties of building a brand/franchise not your stuff.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Sorry that being realistic hurt your feelings, but you need to build a franchise long term and/or invest much money into marketing and also have some luck (to hit the zeitgeist). It's not done with a finger snap. I wish you guys a nice day.
Nothing hurt here

Weve come to conclusions now that we cant combat Ms money if they want to buy third party publishers and have to built our own game now

It is not going to be easy and will be a long road but with hard work wel get there

Last edited:

Sanepar

Out of my curiosity, did you really said 10 millions of playstation users buy it just to play COD. Based on what? I don't think it's remotely possible.
Most of casual players play only 1-2 games per year. The attach rate for consoles are around 8 games for lifecycle.

Casuals play fortnite, fifa, cod, madden, nb2k, warzone.

They usually buy a console where their friends are to play the game they like.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Most of casual players play only 1-2 games per year. The attach rate for consoles are around 8 games for lifecycle.

They usually buy a console where their friends are to play the game the like.
It's quite vague to spell out your previous statement with all respect. Mind you I give you that Sony will lose 10 millions of users. It does seem that significant or dramatic at all to me.

Last edited:
Nothing hurt here

Were come to conclusions now that we cant combat Ms money if they want to buy third party publishers and have to built our own game now

It is not an easy and will be a long road but wel get there
I like the idea, because personally i think COD is a shit game and after some thinking i'm not a fan of that MS deal in general. But i know how huge it is. It'll be really hard to get something similarly popular.

And I replied to you buy a successful franchise doesn't guarantee it will keep his success under the buyer.
People are buying that crap since 2003, why would they stop? Most of the buyers are casuals that will most likely never know about that deal until the loading screen says Microsoft Studios.

Last edited:

Sanepar

I will say again. Next move is obvious and will be Take2. Then it is over for Sony doesn't matter what they do.

Without cod and gta they can't compete. Ms has time to buy take2. Next gta aims 2025. They can do that on 2024 only.

Jim Ryan is old and stupid can't understand what is going on. Not only him many in Sony.

Sony will only be able to keep PS relevant if they secure Gta buying take2 first.

Elios83

The questions during the next fiscal reports on February 2 will be fun :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw I guess the point is not the present but what Sony wants to be in the future and there are many options.
The management isn't clueless to the business transformations, that is why they started buying studios in 2021 and why they have started making PC games.

Imo the first thing they need to do is to become an unmissable option for people interested in games counting just on their forces. That means pretty much like Nintendo.
They have the means to do that thanks to the quality of their studios and games but they need the final big boost/kick and that means buying a smaller publisher that perfectly complements their identity and they can afford and those would be Square and Capcom looking at the market.

After that they need to explore business partnerships and that might include huge giants like Google, Amazon, Apple.
It's no mistery that these companies have gaming ambitions and a lot of money, but they lack the understanding of the gaming business and game development which is something Sony can provide.
Also Sony and Microsoft aren't necessarily enemies as well, they can totally work on a deal that might benefit both.
A lot of scenarios are open and imo it will be interesting to see how they take action instead of keeping the auto pilot.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I like the idea, because personally i think COD is a shit game and after some thinking i'm not a fan of that MS deal in general. But i know how huge it is. It'll be really hard to get something similarly popular.

People are buying that crap since 2003, why would they stop? Most of the buyers are casuals that will most likely never know about that deal until the loading screen says Microsoft Studios.
COD was never platform loyal. It was 360 "friendly", then it becomes playstation oriented just for the PS4 sales; it follows more the market success of the platform than lead it personally. I don't see it dent sony at all. This is why I laugh about such delirious and I found all those chats hilarious.

Last edited:
At this point i think the only way out of this would be for Sony to sell off it’s PS division, and removes itself from all the headaches

oM0oGRW.jpg

I was adamant this would never happen but i'm more and more open to the possibility. Sony Group seems to place more value on the other divisions. Maybe they see more potential there who knows, but i have less faith in them than even Jim and Hermen.

Amazon, Apple and Google all want to get into the video game market and what better way through PlayStation. SIE would be worth significantly more than what Sony Group is right now too if they were independent so it just makes sense to want them

Last edited:
COD was never platform loyal. It was 360 "friendly", then it just follow playstation just because the PS4 sales; it follows more the market success of the platform more than lead it personally. I don't see it dent sony at all.
No problem, we can agree to disagree on this. We probably will never will know for sure unlike there is some huge COD community survey and even then we won't have exact numbers and maybe MS leaves it on PS. Then it's all obsolete.

assurdum

Banned

This crap becoming to the precedent of the same Microsoft lol. They are not new to waste their money and destroy the companies who acquired. I'm not sure what it's changed inside MS to make think to the people such acquisitions will end well when they aren't so trustworthy.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I’m looking at a list of games that were available on xbox, some for decades. Why weren’t they able to win a console gen or sell 100 million? Nintendo and Sony were able to. More than once. Since you can see into the future can you please tell me about the past…

fart town usa

Gold Member
I will say again. Next move is obvious and will be Take2. Then it is over for Sony doesn't matter what they do.

Without cod and gta they can't compete. Ms has time to buy take2. Next gta aims 2025. They can do that on 2024 only.

Jim Ryan is old and stupid can't understand what is going on. Not only him many in Sony.

Sony will only be able to keep PS relevant if they secure Gta buying take2 first.
Curious if it's possible to know just how much money Sony makes from COD and GTA. I'm assuming quite a bit but I have no clue what their percentage of profits are for in-game purchases. I don't know if in-game purchases are a huge thing with COD but I know for GTA they are.

And then there's people like me who generally stick with Sony consoles, but I don't even buy their first party games for the most part. I mainly buy Capcom titles and smaller games off the PSN store. I also have PS+. So in a nutshell, I spend upwards of $30-50 a month on my PS4, I still buy games off the PS3 store too.

This Activision thing is definitely a huge deal, and Sony's stock taking a dip shouldn't go unnoticed but that to me is just the market having a knee jerk reaction, their stock will go back up.

It's going to be a wild ride once these deals really take effect. I have a hard time seeing Sony being taken out due to this but who knows? Also, if Nintendo managed to stick around after the N64, GCN, and Wii U, I feel like Sony can figure out a way to make it work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

True. Although I always though it was 10-15 games.

Never the less, tt's amazing too because you'd think someone spending $300+ on a console, probably an extra controller, good chance of MP sub plan etc.... would buy more than a couple games per year. If youre going to support a platform with $500+ worth of gear and MP plan, you'd think they'd buy more games to go with it.

And the funny thing is whatever game count that is.... 8, 10, 15 or whatever. Thats the average. Which means for every gamer buying 20 or 30 games, there's going to be a slew of gamers who only bought 3 games to balance it out. There's going to be some who probably buy none and just play F2P games or find a place that rents games.

I know games are pricey, but you can still bargain bin it and build a library. When people bought DVD and BR players, it's not like people only buy 2 movies per year. Most people probably have a wall of movies.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Now would be a good time for Respawn to announce Titanfall 3. Not that they need it with Apex Legends doing the business but there is a potential Call of Duty hole to be filled and a PlayStation audience ready to pledge allegiance to a saviour.

Lol. Dreamcast problem was sega management not EA games.
There were many things wrong with Sega as a company during that era and the console didn't fail solely because of EA.

But it was a contributing factor. EA didn't support the Dreamcast at all, at a time when their games were becoming really popular.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There were many things wrong with Sega as a company during that era and the console didn't fail solely because of EA.

But it was a contributing factor. EA didn't support the Dreamcast at all, at a time when their games were becoming really popular.
Bad gamer sentiment and more than EA. Add in virtually zero support from Namco, Square, Konami too.

Add up all 4 of these big third party companies and they probably released only a handful of games. Aside from Soul Calibur, probably none of the rest were anything good too.

Cyberpunkd

There are casual gamers who buy consoles just for COD, GTA and FIFA.

On average a COD game sells 30 million copies on all formats. 15 million copies on PS console alone. Those 15 million gamers will now either switch to Xbox, buy both consoles or not play it at all.

The former is the most likely scenario.
And with this purchase Microsoft denied millions of people reason to own Playstation, or buy one in the future if they are still stuck with PS4.

Swift_Star

Banned
Whatever happens, happens. Tbh I have money to keep playing games regardless of platform. Xbox has always been dull for me, still is, too many bro shooters and bro franchises that doesn’t appeal to me At all. I might buy a SX at some point but as of now, I’m not dying to play any of their new games, released or not. So… whatever happens, happens.

Read the article fully.

Well it is led by ex Treyarch staff Jason Blundell and Dave Anthony. Most their work was on Call of duty and FPS games. It is obviously gonna be an FPS.

Why else would Sony hire them? For a racing game?

Come on now..
You are jumping to conclusions. It doesn’t say what they are working on. Maybe is an FPS given the background of the personnel but you even added it was going to be a CoD clone? Where did you get that from? You should look for work in some tabloid, what a way of completely fabricating a story.

Lognor

Banned
Whatever happens, happens. Tbh I have money to keep playing games regardless of platform. Xbox has always been dull for me, still is, too many bro shooters and bro franchises that doesn’t appeal to me At all. I might buy a SX at some point but as of now, I’m not dying to play any of their new games, released or not. So… whatever happens, happens.
What is a bro franchise? LOL. Isn't God of War a bro franchise? Big shirtless dude with a burly beard violently killing people. Isn't Days Gone a bro franchise? Big biker dude going around killing people. Isn't Uncharted a bro franchise? Two bros traveling the world looking for riches and killing a ton of people?

But just because Xbox has "too many bro shooters and bro franchises" does not mean there is not other diverse content to play. There is. It's a very diverse lineup. You should check it out!

Maybe on consoles. Now that I think about they don't charge for gold on PC regardless
So I looked it up and you do need gamepass ultimate to play multiplayer lol. This is in the Xbox website:

Can I play multiplayer games with Gamepass?
Depending on the game, yes—though for multiplayer you need either Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or a subscription to Xbox Live Gold (sold separately).
Note Free-to-play online multiplayer games no longer require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The harm is long term.

In a world where all the content is concentrated across just a couple of companies that offer subscription services (and potentially make it so that the subscription service is the only way you can access said content) what do you think will happen to monthly/annual prices?

People need to enjoy their cheap gamepass/netflix/Spotify etc today. We are being given these services at a discount - the businesses responsible are taking losses on the chin to get us subscribed and keep us subscribed, it's about control. This is the golden age from a consumer perspective and it certainly won't stay like this forever.
The harm Sony did was effective immediately and of course is long term too. Once they went to $70 there was no going back. Thanks to Microsoft for keeping it at $60 and offering gamepass. I don’t know what Sony is going to do. There has never been a war in prices other than on consoles and that’s since last gen but it was Microsoft fault for adding the Kinect and charging us $100 dollars more for a weaker console. With the lain of the PS5 and Series they actually tried to outprice each other. Now let’s see if Sony announces a price cut or if they will keep the same just watching how their business gets destroyed.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They are the same type of game. Single player dramatic story.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: I mean most single player games are, but I’d say that the gameplay and themes in Spider-Man, Horizon and GT are different enough. The only argument I can see is that GoW reboot leaned to heavily in to Naughty Dog’s style of story telling.

Just_one

you dont pay 70 BILLION DOLLARS to make call of duty multi-platform, im sorry, you just dont.

Take into account what others said about elder scrolls and fallout. When they brought bethelsa the speech was basically the same.

i dont like Call of Duty but imagine the player base is around 20 million people(i dont know if its that many) now imagine around 50%/60% or more are now in Playstation.

Now you say "OK wanna play the new call of duty DAY 1 on Gamepass exclusivily? SURE...come to Xbox!" there is a gigantic wave of players switching sides , no doubt about it

SLB1904

Banned
So I looked it up and you do need gamepass ultimate to play multiplayer lol. This is in the Xbox website:

Can I play multiplayer games with Gamepass?
Depending on the game, yes—though for multiplayer you need either Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or a subscription to Xbox Live Gold (sold separately).
Note Free-to-play online multiplayer games no longer require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
Not on PC mate

Just_one

Spartacus Annoucement:

100€/yearly

- Exclusives Day 1
- 3rd Party Day 1
- PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP Catalog fully downloadable with trophy support

come on sony , DO IT! no need to be fighting with gloves at this point, might go all in

Metnut

Thinking about this more, the real issue isn’t this acquisition itself. At most hardcore gamers agree, Activison’s portfolio is mostly full of shit in recent years and had little that will be missed by players who enjoy single player games.

The bigger issue is what it means for the industry going forward. I have no issue buying an XBox if it had enough games that I need to play. The trend toward consolidation and monetizing games through add-ons is extremely troubling. The future of Gamepass looks like $20 a month with most games being EA/Ubi/Activison crap that tries to sell you on more stuff the entire time. You even saw this creep into Fallout76. I hope I’m wrong but the trends don’t look good.

Cyborg

The MS goal is clear; offer more content for cheaper then the competition and do it as a service. Its a long game they play, build a library and later (2025) rise prises as you offer more exclusive content . Sony cant compete even if they wanted and need to follow their own strategy like Nintendo does.

TheTony316

I hope this forces Sony to focus more on their first party. How about a new Killzone, Resistance or Socom game? Now would be a great time to revive those. For me personally, it doesn't change anything. I haven't played a COD game since MW2.

The MS goal is clear; offer more content for cheaper then the competition and do it as a service. Its a long game they play, build a library and later (2025) rise prises as you offer more exclusive content . Sony cant compete even if they wanted and need to follow their own strategy like Nintendo does.

Yeah, basically. Anyone that wants a Sony gamepass are only thinking about the cheap ways to play games. No real thought about what it would mean for the future of PS. No slack on them of course. They're not interested in the business side of things which is fine.

But If they do end up fully committing to the gamepass model, well i'll sub to it and play whatever they offer if I like it, but i'll also have a calander next to me counting down the days until their demise.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

And what FPS you seeing being so valid to take the place of COD, Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake etc etc if you add also Halo basically they owning the fps genre by the balls and basically ,rts,wrpg and probably best console racers
I'm not sure, I guess we'll see in the coming 24months. Necessity being the root of all invention, means that there's a decent amount riding on PlayStation offering a substitute from its first party or a 3rd party.

You have to wonder if they took an existing IP like Killzone or Socom, pushed it further with the new PSVR2 and VR controllers, found a way to do a wireless portable VR2, and then used that VR angle to get Carmack to work on it, so it had the FPS blueprint from the creator of the genre, it could do very well IMO. But someone and something new and evolutionary could equal fill the void too. PlayStation have held back and made space for CoD's success, just like the do for AC, etc. Without that conflict of interest to undermine a business partner, the FPS genre may see a renaissance on PlayStation in the coming years now that CoD is nolonger worth protecting as a tent poll release on PlayStation - under Xbox ownership - IMHO.

PlayStation isn't going to die completely but unless Sony gets bought out by someone who can compete with Microsoft, it's going to gradually become a more niche gaming system that only appeals to hardcore fans. It'll be like a more extreme version of Gen 7 where all the normal kids had a 360 and all the spotty dweebs had a PS3.

Just_one

PlayStation isn't going to die completely but unless Sony gets bought out by someone who can compete with Microsoft, it's going to gradually become a more niche gaming system that only appeals to hardcore fans. It'll be like a more extreme version of Gen 7 where all the normal kids had a 360 and all the spotty dweebs had a PS3.

All those "spotty dweebs" are basically everywhere besides US.

Xbox as a brand doesnt even compare to Playstation in markets like Europe and Asia but specially in Europe

Swift_Star

Banned
Americans always think the world revolves around them, don’t they?

Top Bottom