• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

Jaybe

This seems more like a massive push by MS into the PC platform and gaining gaming market share there. WoW, StarCraft, Diablo. It makes sense given MS is far behind in the console space. They lost the console gen that mattered most when people got tied to digital libraries and online play subscriptions. CoD Warzone will stay on PS, and isn’t that bigger than any annual CoD release now? It is certainly a hit to Sony but I don’t see it being some check mate by any stretch..

John Wick

They said they have 20+ games in the making, both SP- and MP-focused, and games nowadays take years to make, so there might not be anything specific to announce yet, but they surely have a long-ter plan put into motion.

People seem to have a really short memory, Sony always has a sloppy start of each generation, but ~3 years later they start gaining serious momentum and never slow down. So give them another year or two and we'll start seeing Sony constantly getting the headlines.
They got 3 great games coming this year. HFW, GT7 and GOWR. That's not my problem. Jimbo is just too slow to react

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will say again. Next move is obvious and will be Take2. Then it is over for Sony doesn't matter what they do.

Without cod and gta they can't compete. Ms has time to buy take2. Next gta aims 2025. They can do that on 2024 only.

Jim Ryan is old and stupid can't understand what is going on. Not only him many in Sony.

Sony will only be able to keep PS relevant if they secure Gta buying take2 first.
Jim cant really do anything about MS spending $70 billion. No one can. Hell, Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel and Star Wars. $70 billion is so much money that when Time Warner and At&T did a $85 billion merger, the US government sued them to block the merger. This is big boy money and Sony, a $150 billion company, cannot compete with trillion dollar companies like Apple, Microsoft and Google. I dont care if Steve Jobs himself was running playstation, you cannot do anything about activision being bought out for $70 billion.

If MS goes and buys take2 for $40 billion, yes its all over, but only for Sony playstation. They will spin off the PS division and sell it to the highest bidder. It could be Apple or Facebook or even Microsoft. I think $40-50 billion for PS sounds about right since it accounts for roughly 30% of their revenue.

And no, they simply cannot buy take2 without MS outbidding them. MS didnt spend $70 billion just so Sony can sneak in with a cheaper purchase and even the odds. they still have $70 cash on hand left compared to just $25 billion for sony.

This is out of Jim's hands now. The Sony corp CEO will decide what happens next. If they want to stick it out, hope that MS doesnt buy Take2, and create their own niche like Nintendo and Apple back in the 90s or sell off the PS division to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Jim cant really do anything about MS spending $70 billion. No one can. Hell, Disney paid $4 billion for Marvel and Star Wars. $70 billion is so much money that when Time Warner and At&T did a $85 billion merger, the US government sued them to block the merger. This is big boy money and Sony, a $150 billion company, cannot compete with trillion dollar companies like Apple, Microsoft and Google. I dont care if Steve Jobs himself was running playstation, you cannot do anything about activision being bought out for $70 billion.

If MS goes and buys take2 for $40 billion, yes its all over, but only for Sony playstation. They will spin off the PS division and sell it to the highest bidder. It could be Apple or Facebook or even Microsoft. I think $40-50 billion for PS sounds about right since it accounts for roughly 30% of their revenue.

And no, they simply cannot buy take2 without MS outbidding them. MS didnt spend $70 billion just so Sony can sneak in with a cheaper purchase and even the odds. they still have $70 cash on hand left compared to just $25 billion for sony.
Well the only thing that could stop MS for buying T2 is regulators or investors having a hard time to understand a investment of more than 120 bn on game studios, almost all their cash. How long to recover that?

Let's see Sony next moves these next 2 years. They will define their future.

Their first move is already really stupid. Wired VR with 17 studios...

kyliethicc

Anything for you bud.

kanye-crying-jordan.gif
Thanks love I couldn't find that one lol.

yoDWq26.gif

kyliethicc

It's not downplaying the sivnificance, because COD is a bigger deal than all of Bethesda, but he's right most of the IP are trash. Blizzard's IPs are PC centric for the most part so no big loss there for Sony
Shame they lost Crash and Spyro tho. Spiritually its just wrong.

They can put Crash skins in their games like Halo, and then have Crash 5 be an Xbox (console) exclusive game.

Wild.

Also unrelated to your post, but just gonna drop this here to avoid another post. Pretty decent video on the whole topic for PS users.

Last edited:

Greggy

This is out of Jim's hands now. The Sony corp CEO will decide what happens next. If they want to stick it out, hope that MS doesnt buy Take2, and create their own niche like Nintendo and Apple back in the 90s or sell off the PS division to the highest bidder.
Sony will have to concede some market share to MS. It's barely the end of the world. They will also have to modernise their business model. Selling the most boxes is not gonna cut it anymore. Not with COD and Starfield day one on every phone, tablet, TV, xbox and PC in the world yet not on Playstation. Very soon, people will notice that the xbox series S which is as available as it is cheap is all they need to play all the most popular games and that the PS5 isn't.
So Sony can't sit tight on this one but selling off to the highest bidder is way premature. Worst case they lose 20% of their market share to MS and life goes on. They will need time to change course anyway.

TheTony316

PlayStation isn't going to die completely but unless Sony gets bought out by someone who can compete with Microsoft, it's going to gradually become a more niche gaming system that only appeals to hardcore fans. It'll be like a more extreme version of Gen 7 where all the normal kids had a 360 and all the spotty dweebs had a PS3.

This is the most american thing ever, lol. If by "spotty dweebs" you mean everyone outside of North America then yes, you'd be right.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'll break this down in DBZ terminology.

Microsoft is Cell. They Absorbed Android 18 in Bethesda. Now, instead of absorbing Android 17, they went and absorbed Vegeta.

Sony is Gohan. Will he fall and crumble to Cells new power? Or, will he use this as motivation to find his own path and become a Super Saiyan 2?

Find out next time, on DragonBall Z. :messenger_alien:

Alphagear

You are jumping to conclusions. It doesn’t say what they are working on. Maybe is an FPS given the background of the personnel but you even added it was going to be a CoD clone? Where did you get that from? You should look for work in some tabloid, what a way of completely fabricating a story.

When did I say COD clone?

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Microsoft is Cell. They Absorbed Android 18 in Bethesda. Now, instead of absorbing Android 17, they went and absorbed Vegeta.

Sony is Gohan. Will he fall and crumble to Cells new power? Or, will he use this as motivation to find his own path and become a Super Saiyan 2?

And Google Stadia is Yamcha.

yamcha-1099843.jpg

I think there are some logical next steps for Sony right now. I think they should react but not overreact to the Activision news.

• Continue to acquire appropriately sized studios
    • Buying out publishers just doesn't make a lot of sense. The return on investment is almost impossible to achieve, even for subscription services. Unless Movies and TV back catalog doesn't help a great deal in Video Games.
    • IP is finicky and the industry changes very quickly.
  • Studios that make sense for SIE to look at
    • Kojima Productions (small studio, but given a boost in capital might take it to the next level)
    • Remedy (They've worked with Remedy in the past, fairly high-quality developer, good size).
    • Kadokawa (Allows Sony to bring in From Software, already own I think 2-4 percent of the company)
    • Bungie (Bungie has the size, scale, and talent you need to create a COD competitor)
    • GungHo Games (this might be a stretch, but this might allow you to start to regrow the Japan region without going crazy)
    • Level 5 (Helps rebuild Japan, high quality developer)
    • Thatgamecompany (Not a huge purchase)
  • The largest purchase that would make sense for Sony Corp. (not just SIE would be Epic Games).
  • Continue to organically grow internal studios through aggressive recruitment
    • Much more cost-effective than buying whole studios and doesn't include poor hiring decisions from previous studios.
    • The goal should be to increase the size of studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica to the 500-600 range.
  • Return to IP that makes sense for the time, obviously, they need shooters, though I'm not going to include Resistance or Killzone here.
    • SOCOM
    • Syphon Filter
  • Create new IP where it makes sense
    • SCI-FI Shooter - Naughty Dog or Housemarque

ToTTenTranz

Banned
  • Continue to acquire appropriately sized studios
    • Buying out publishers just doesn't make a lot of sense. The return on investment is almost impossible to achieve, even for subscription services. Unless Movies and TV back catalog doesn't help a great deal in Video Games.
    • IP is finicky and the industry changes very quickly.

Probably this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Port more games faster to PC

make a f2p Destiny/fortnite style game to bring in the cash (on all platforms).

Honey Bunny

1. Release jumping flash 3

It is time for a new mascot now microsoft are holding crash hostage

2. Psasbr but with go karts

Its time for sony to make a nintendo game these are desperate times

3. Ps vita 2 but MARKET IT THIS TIME we all know the only problem with ps vita was MARKETING

4. Rehire ken kutaragi and kaz men with vision (unlike jim ryan...) and who are also japanese because all the best games are japanese

5. drop ps now and ps plus and all that online shit let ms do that and focus on making...

6. LEGEND OF DRAGOON SEQUEL

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Jesus fucking christ...

Gaming side becomes so obnoxious in the wake of announcements like this.
I've never be more thankful for the 'ignore thread' function. Getting a lot of mileage out of it.

Only thing that matters is to get Spyro and Crash back while they still can.

Threaten to sue to block the sale.

Settle for Metal Arms. Which is what Sony actually wants. Profit.

Magitsbox.jpg

renuu-thanos.gif

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nothing can take it's place. They can't and shouldn't even attempt to find a replacement for COD.

FF is just an example of a franchise they need to get people to their platform. They need more than that obviously but that's the route they need to go down
Hmmm I kind of disagree on this one. The appeal and enormous revenue generating ability for multi player FPS eclipses FF and Sony must have a large presence here in order to support their business. The good (and so far overlooked) news is that the timing of the deal closure suggests the potential for COD exclusivity on gamepass won't likely occur until 2024 at the earliest. This gives Sony enough time to at least formulate a concept for a very compelling multiplayer FPS. Make it state of the art with unique features, mechanics, etc. All of the attributes that Sony is known for. Something that Microsoft might struggle with is their appetite further investing a COD reinvention of sorts, especially after dropping $70b. As of now, I believe they are relying on brand/IP recognition alone and intend to keep COD formula as is. Which again could be a fatal move if Sony decides to innovate.

Make it available for PS and PC gamers and market it as a revolutionary multiplayer fps in comparison to "tired formulaic COD". I wouldn't trust any other publisher but Sony to be able to pull this off. In fact, it is very likely they've already been cooking up something akin to this with the ex Rainbow Six devs over at Guerrilla.

MonarchJT

Banned

is pretty much the opposite Ms have basically infinite power they just need to find a way ...Sony have that power there isn't anything really out of what we already seeing

Hmmm I kind of disagree on this one. The appeal and enormous revenue generating ability for multi player FPS eclipses FF and Sony must have a large presence here in order to support their business. The good (and so far overlooked) news is that the timing of the deal closure suggests the potential for COD exclusivity on gamepass won't likely occur until 2024 at the earliest. This gives Sony enough time to at least formulate a concept for a very compelling multiplayer FPS. Make it state of the art with unique features, mechanics, etc. All of the attributes that Sony is known for. Something that Microsoft might struggle with is their appetite further investing a COD reinvention of sorts, especially after dropping $70b. As of now, I believe they are relying on brand/IP recognition alone and intend to keep COD formula as is. Which again could be a fatal move if Sony decides to innovate.

Make it available for PS and PC gamers and market it as a revolutionary multiplayer fps in comparison to "tired formulaic COD". I wouldn't trust any other publisher but Sony to be able to pull this off. In fact, it is very likely they've already been cooking up something akin to this with the ex Rainbow Six devs over at Guerrilla.

I should clarify

I don't mean they shouldn't try create their own big multiplayer franchise, whether that comes in the form of an FPS, TPS or whatever. They can and should pursue those types of games, but getting a hit like COD is a once in a generation event. It won't be because of marketing, or money, or how innovative they are, it's going to ultimately come down to luck. So, their mindset shouldn't be about creating a megahit franchise to replace COD, it should be continuing to invest and create multimillion seller IPs like they've done with Horizon, or Ghosts or TLOU, and secure staple franchises like Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter and keep them fully exclusive to the platform.

Invest in the multiplayer experiences too. Chances are none of them will generate the same amount of money as COD, but they can still be strong franchises in their own right and maybe one day one of them will turn into the next gaming wonded. If they end up chasing after this fantasy of creating the next COD they will fail.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Only thing that matters is to get Spyro and Crash back while they still can.

Threaten to sue to block the sale.

Settle for Metal Arms. Which is what Sony actually wants. Profit.

Magitsbox.jpg

renuu-thanos.gif
I bought that for my brother Christmas 2020 (GCN version), he lives in the same city as me but I haven't played it. For some reason he wanted it so of course I obliged. Seems like a really cool game, just funny to see someone post it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They already had multiplayer games covered. Now with activision they have even more.
And now everyone on their sub service has all the multiplayer games, and if they don't have it downloaded they can jump in with a cloud version if they get invited. It's definitely the easiest place to play multiplayer with friends at the moment.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: I mean most single player games are, but I’d say that the gameplay and themes in Spider-Man, Horizon and GT are different enough. The only argument I can see is that GoW reboot leaned to heavily in to Naughty Dog’s style of story telling.
I like those games, I have a PS5 but you know what to expect from Sony games don’t you? You know it’s going to be a dramatic story where you have to save the world. That’s all they do. They don’t do fun games, that’s why you only play the game one time and then never touch it again. For example, you can’t say FFVII remake is as dramatic as GoW or TLOU Ii

Top Bottom