• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

I like those games, I have a PS5 but you know what to expect from Sony games don’t you? You know it’s going to be a dramatic story where you have to save the world. That’s all they do. They don’t do fun games, that’s why you only play the game one time and then never touch it again. For example, you can’t say FFVII remake is as dramatic as GoW or TLOU Ii

We've gone from the Infamous playStation games are all the same because they have trees image to whatever the hell this argument is supposed to be lmao

Last edited:
I bought that for my brother Christmas 2020 (GCN version), he lives in the same city as me but I haven't played it. For some reason he wanted it so of course I obliged. Seems like a really cool game, just funny to see someone post it.
It’s a really old game, how does one ask for it for christmas?

That being SAID Sony has one year to get Crash, Spyro, and Metal Arms before its too LATE.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
this a bruh moment

XIOTz9z.gif
🤣🤣🤣🤣 The best part of this Activision deal has been the takes

Aenima

Port more games faster to PC

make a f2p Destiny/fortnite style game to bring in the cash (on all platforms).
Sony biggest earner is they PSN division, PS+ subscription + digital sales of games and DLC. They cant do that on PC. Porting old games to PC at full price is what makes sense for Sony. Not only those games already lost the fuel to sell good on PS consoles, they giving those games a 2nd life by releasing it in a new neutral platform where not only exclusive PC gamers can enjoy Sony games, but also double dippers.

Sony multiplayer games are the only ones that Sony mentioned as being possible to release day 1 on PC. I dont see Sony changing or wanting to rush they single player releases on PC, they have nothing to gain with that.

Last edited:

Sanepar

There is so good moves Sony can do, but they probably will do nothing

- get independent studios(bungie, remedy, kojipro, emberlabs)

- get kadokawa(from inside an finish anime trifecta)

- get square, cheap, 5000 staff, ff, kh, deusex, tomb raider, guardians of the galaxy

These moves would put they back on the game and block Xbox growth on Europe and Asia for Xbox.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

- get square, cheap, 5000 staff, ff, kh, deusex, tomb raider, guardians of the galaxy

These moves would put they back on the game and block Xbox growth on Europe and Asia for Xbox.
Bungie is a good one. They have Destiny and history shows Bunge has no problem acting as a mercenary to whomever opens up the wallet.

Destiny isn't COD, but if Sony/Bungie secured it for PS systems, it would be one less high profile shooter the rest of platforms get.

Elios83

They will definetly feel the pressure to do things and this year it's the best moment.
Microsoft will need to stay low profile at the very least until the Activision deal is done or they risk to get the full attention of antitrust regulators and burning all their plans.
If they want to buy publishers on their own Square and Capcom are the best targets because they totally fit with their history and identity and are affordable. They could get both at 10-12 billions. This would be a really good life insurance because it would give them the strength to continue to be successful regardless of what other competitors might do in the future.

BUt a lot depends on where they see them in the future.
Do they see their future as content creators for multiple platforms transforming Playstation into a service available on multiple platforms eventually? So this is why they started developing games on PC?
As a traditional platform holder? Unlikely given that this business model will become outdated in a few years.
As Nintendo doing their own successful stuff but giving up competing on the same field as MS, like Nintendo gave up on powerful hardware and getting big western third party support?

If there isn't a clear vision about the future, making acquistions for the sake of it doesn't make much sense.
Also they could end up striking a partnership with other huge companies like Amazon and Google if not with same Microsoft.
People see them as eternal enemies for the sake of drama but these comapanies could end up making a partnership that benefits both. The idea that Sony eventually allows Gamepass in some form on their platform (for example as an included subscription of a higher tier of their own service) is far from sci:fi.
They eventually allowed EA Play and it seemed impossible because it was considered a direct competitor of PS+, they're now publishing games on PC and it seemed impossible.

In the end it will be interesting to see where they want to go because there are tons of options on the table.
In the meantime I fully support this :messenger_sunglasses: :

I'm gonne play Horizon Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 on my PS5.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It’s a really old game, how does one ask for it for christmas?

That being SAID Sony has one year to get Crash, Spyro, and Metal Arms before its too LATE.
Right, I'm not quite sure where he heard of it. I was travelling outside our city a few hours south for Thanksgiving and there's an awesome retro game store there, he asked me see if that shop had it. They didn't so I opted to just order it for a Christmas gift. Got it off Amazon. If little bro asks for a retro game from his older bro, how could I say no?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They already had multiplayer games covered. Now with activision they have even more.
If what they want is to have a bunch of GAAS games cannibalizing and competing with each other… I really fail to see the diversity in current MS. The vast majority of their games are first person GAAS games. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony should buy Epic and then require all games using UE to be released on PlayStation (which wouldn't include COD though).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sony biggest earner is they PSN division, PS+ subscription + digital sales of games and DLC. They cant do that on PC. Porting old games to PC at full price is what makes sense for Sony. Not only those games already lost the fuel to sell good on PS consoles, they giving those games a 2nd life by releasing it in a new neutral platform where not only exclusive PC gamers can enjoy Sony games, but also double dippers.

Sony multiplayer games are the only ones that Sony mentioned as being possible to release day 1 on PC. I dont see Sony changing or wanting to rush they single player releases on PC, they have nothing to gain with that.
If they lose the casuals with the loss of cod those subs gonna dry up.

John Wick

Now you will get activision games day one in game pass for the same 15 a month subscription. Now the service is completely worth it. For the price of a 2 Sony games you can get gamepass for a year,, cmon now, you can’t possibly compete with that.
You really think this service is gonna stay 15 a month after MS spent 77 billion on acquisitions???

spawn

Buy both consoles or buy a PC. Enjoy what each has to offer. Sony won't be killed off here. Sony got some good stuff coming in 2022

Shmunter

Sony really needs to lean into fps again. There was something about a game coming from former COD devs which sounds promising.

Over and above, need to get simcade racing back on track. Driveclub 2 would be a good focus - but there is no talent at Sony for such a project.

Still waiting to see if Last Of Us 2 MP will be some kind of breakout megahit. Tall order, but the project length and dev effort is intriguing; could be a sign of something big -or- a project off the rails.

Would love a tech powerhouse for next gen only like a Killzone 4. Anyone remember the ps4 reveal with KZ Shadowfall? Still waiting this gen.

Sony increasing PS4 production due to PS5 shortages is a terrible strategy. It’s obvious they are trying to increase user base at the cost of next gen plans. And with the aggressive MS tactics, I suspect Sony will lean into this even harder as their ultimate goal. Shit stinks.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sony really needs to lean into fps again. There was something about a game coming from former COD devs which sounds promising.
They've got a few coming.

Sony has 3 multiplayer games coming led by the former directors of Destiny (Firewalk Studios), Call of Duty Black Ops (Deviation Games), and Rainbow Six Siege (Guerrilla Games).

Over and above, need to get simcade racing back on track. Driveclub 2 would be a good focus - but there is no talent at Sony for such a project.
New game director guy at Firesprite helped create Driveclub and directed Motorstorm Apocalypse. Looks like he's doing the Twisted Metal reboot.

Still waiting to see if Last Of Us 2 MP will be some kind of breakout megahit. Tall order, but the project length and dev effort is intriguing; could be a sign of something big -or- a project off the rails.
Yeah will be interesting to see how it does.

Last edited:
I don't think a Western dev studio being bought is best answered by making more Japanese games. The audience don't cross over that much and if they could expand the audience with Japanese quirky games there is no reason why they wouldn't have already.
It’s really not to go head to head with Microsoft, but to set the platform apart from the competition and corner a market like Nintendo did. Imagine Sony corner a similar market with bigger budgets and powerful hardware. Microsoft is weaker with certain types of games and Sony could capitalize on that. There is still a market for Japanese games especially from the companies I listed.

If those Microsoft acquisitions give them exclusive games, Sony could have an uphill battle when it comes to some third party Western AAA games, so that’s why I figure Sony could try a different direction and possibly make their portfolio even more diversified and stronger. Those games aren’t as popular as COD of course, but they still have a rather large audience.

Last edited:

xiskza

CoD would have released on Xbox, Diablo would have released on Xbox, Elder Scrolls 6 would have released on Xbox.

I guess you can argue they get those games on gamepass, but those were deals MS could have made far more cheaply than buying the studios. MS could have spent 1 billion dollars instead of 80 and had all those games day one on gamepass.

If having those games day one on gamepass is the goal, then MS paid about 80x more than they should have. Which is why it’s obvious to anyone with even half a brain the real reason they spent all that money, to take those games away from PlayStation users. Pure and simple. Xbox hasn’t become a better place to play games, they paid 80 billion dollars to make PlayStation a worse place to play games.

And again, that’s the entire point of these purchases no matter what kind of BS Phil tries to tell you. MS couldn’t beat Sony on a level playing field, they tried for 20 years and failed, so they brought a dump truck of money to un-level it.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
At the end of the day I would take almost any Sony exclusive over COD but I also realize that it is a major seller and this is a big gain for Microsoft.

But would you even want a future COD that is specifically designed and budgeted around a pure subscription model? I can assure you it will look VERY different from COD Vanguard. Simply put, something has to give, be it quality or increased emphasis on MTX, NFTs; especially if they are intent on implementing Xbox/PC gamepass exclusivity.

On a completely unrelated note, how interesting for Stalker 2 to get pushed back to December (we'll see) after nixing their NFT proposal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Sony just needs to keep doing what they're doing? Microsoft struck such a huge deal partly as a reaction to Sony's success since the release of the PS4, their cultivation of numerous new strong IP's, and their reinvigoration of a few. I really don't think Sony needs to run out and try to gobble up some big studio or radically change their approach because of MS's acquisition.

Things like their stock price tanking temporarily is to be expected, as the stock market is fickle.

John Wick

Sony can mitigate the loss of Cod if they act smart and quickly. They have GG working on a fps game. Make sure it's good and ready for early 2024. Approach Epic and do a joint project fps or just pay Epic to make one. Put a team together to revive Socom. Approach Bungie for a joint project. Same with Ubisoft. And lastly approach EA for Battlefield. They have till 2024 to sort this out. But is dummy Jimbo quick and smart enough?

Woggleman

But would you even want a future COD that is specifically designed and budgeted around a pure subscription model? I can assure you it will look VERY different from COD Vanguard. Simply put, something has to give, be it quality or increased emphasis on MTX, NFTs; especially if they are intent on implementing Xbox/PC gamepass exclusivity.

On a completely unrelated note, how interesting for Stalker 2 to get pushed back to December (we'll see) after nixing their NFT proposal.
I couldn't care less what they do with COD. I just know that it being available on PS systems helps sell hardware which makes it possible to enjoy my favorite games.

I don't see how Sony purchasing Square Enix or Konami or Capcom would help them. Their games aren't even in the top twenty for PS. Shit, they sell better on Nintendo.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the buyouts by MS will force Sony to invest significantly in development and hopefully they’ll be back to later-PS3 era output. The variety and quality was insane.
Would love this, but not with Jimbo at the helm. He will put his keen and penetrative mind to the task, and arrive at the wrong strategy. I am sure of it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think we might see more exclusivity deals, similar to deathloop and ghostwire along with more aquisitions on a similer in scale to there recent aquisitions.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They've got a few coming.

Sony has 3 multiplayer games coming led by the former directors of Destiny (Firewalk Studios), Call of Duty Black Ops (Deviation Games), and Rainbow Six Siege (Guerrilla Games).
It's too late. They needed those franchises last gen or early gen. Now that the cod userbase will be leaving in droves, by the time those games come out in 2024-2025, it wouldve been just like when they released Socom, Resistance 2, KZ2 and MAG to a userbase full of fans of single player games. Cult classics but not even close to replacing cod.

Jimbo gets a lot of flack here but it was Shawn Layden who refused to invest in online shooters in the PS4 era. I kept begging them to do online shooters after Titanfall and Destiny completely change the MP FPS genre early in the gen, but he said he doesnt want to compete with his partners like Activision. Well, that is looking pretty fucking dumb right about now, isnt it?

He did not invest in WRPGs nor in online shooters. Or in FPS in general. Now MS has Halo, Overwatch, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, and CoD.

kyliethicc

It's too late. They needed those franchises last gen or early gen. Now that the cod userbase will be leaving in droves, by the time those games come out in 2024-2025, it wouldve been just like when they released Socom, Resistance 2, KZ2 and MAG to a userbase full of fans of single player games. Cult classics but not even close to replacing cod.

Jimbo gets a lot of flack here but it was Shawn Layden who refused to invest in online shooters in the PS4 era. I kept begging them to do online shooters after Titanfall and Destiny completely change the MP FPS genre early in the gen, but he said he doesnt want to compete with his partners like Activision. Well, that is looking pretty fucking dumb right about now, isnt it?

He did not invest in WRPGs nor in online shooters. Or in FPS in general. Now MS has Halo, Overwatch, Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, and CoD.
td8UfQO.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Layden was known to push smaller more creative games though, which in this new order may be needed.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah, Sticking to its strength which is first party, first party, and first party is probably Sony's best bet. I said something similar earlier in the day. That they need to double down on first party and go on a massive hiring spree, but now im not sure if the parent Sony will give them the budget boost they need. But we shall see.

And I think I was talking to @James Sawyer Ford about this earlier, but you nailed it on the head there with this purchase being used to get Sony to put gamepass on Playstation. There is definitely more to this $70 billion purchase than just getting CoD on xbox consoles. CoD makes maybe $2-3 billion a year. Activision in total made $8 billion last year. This move will take almost 10 years to pay off unless the idea was to pressure Sony into putting gamepass on playstation. No better game to hold as hostage than CoD. They know Sony cant live without CoD, and MS knows they need Sony's 100 million userbase to make gamepass successful.

I completely agree that MS no longer cares about consoles. I bet once they get gamepass on Nintendo and Playstation consoles they would leave the xbox console business altogether. One of the MS execs at the Apple/Epic trial confirmed that they have never made money off of console sales. Ever. So the services model that has made them so successful under the Satya leadership is what they are going for, and in order to get 200 million users like Netflix, they need access to the switch and PS userbases.

Very good point. My friend said earlier that they might put xcloud on the switch since it doesnt have the hardware to run next gen games. It will be interesting to see if Nintendo is stubborn enough to reject that enticing offer.
Bingo-bingo. I don't think anything else needs to be said. It's a pretty clear play on what as you pointed out has been Satya's leadership and direction for years now. I've said multiple times that when MS was ditching all it's devs at the end of the Xbox One generation they were getting out of hardware. It's been a money loser for them the entire time. I'm convinced they decided that they might do better in hardware while making all these moves and if so, fine. If not, once they have their plan in place and get GamePass on Playstation as well, it will be goodbye to hardware. An 'Xbox' will be a device you play MS games on and that can be damn near anything from your phone to a Playstation or PC. So we'll see...but it sure seems that MS is going that way and fast. I'm also curious if some of the rumored Azure and Cloud deals and talks the two had prior to this generation might not have been laying foundations for this as well. Sony's not dumb- they've always known they can't compete in an outright bidding and buying war with Microsoft. So....what do you think they have figured the smart play is for them? We'll see....

Top Bottom