• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you stand on No Man's Sky?

I'm intrigued but not sufficiently convinced to buy it at release. I'll read reviews before I do that.

Even if the reviews are shite, I'll probably buy it used or when it drops in price.

I was very very hyped for a year or so after the initial reveal, but now I'm in team wait and see. If the first impressions that start dripping in at launch, it's very probable I will walk to a store and buy.

I don't know how I feel about the lack of persistence in the game. If I go on and strip mine a planet, or even a large area (not to say I actually would) and fly away / log off / whatever. When I return later, everything will back to status quo right? Because I can't change the algorithm that creates the planets?

So what I am basically asking, how large in terms of time and space is my window of leaving marks into the landscape? Small area? Until I walk away for a minute?

I'm hoping the game will be great, but this bothers me a bit. Feel free to correct me if I have understood something wrong. I haven't really followed the game that much for a while now.

Skux

The hype wore out a while ago. Whether the delays were caused by the legal battle over the name or development issues doesn't really matter anymore.

I was initially very hyped for No Man's Sky because I've been wanting more procedurally generated content in games for a long while now. Unfortunately, the more I see of the game, the more I come to realize that procedurally generated content IS the game. Everything else is just shallow gameplay on top of that. No Man's Sky will be compared to Spore, another game that was high concept tech thrown together with little gameplay on top of it.

cool_dude

Banned
Presenting, No Man's Sky procedurally generated alien races:

cool_dude.png

Sinistral.png

Atomski.png

bigdaddygamebot.png

SmartBase.png

cool_dudryeredfg.png

Sinissdftllral.png

Atosdfswihtgmski.png

bigdaderhnjk44fdygamebot.png

SmarllltbbBailpse.png

bigdaddygaffffmebot.png

Smao79rtBase.png

cool_du8967dedfg.png

Sinissdppooiuftral.png

Atosdfswjhtgtjmski.png

bigdaderhfgkllnjkdygamebot.png

SmarllltbbtitooBase.png

Sinissdftl3456lral.png

Atosdfswihtgmretuyski.png

bigdaderhnjk44fdrtyuygamebot.png

SmarllltbbBai5679lpse.png

bigdaddygaf879fffmebot.png

Smao79rtBashgje.png

cool_du8967dedbvnmfg.png

Sinissdppooiuftrbnmal.png

Not really, but these randomly generated robots (based on usernames as seeds) are examples of how you see patterns and variations of the same very quickly. Gets predictable and boring when you figure out the tricks. Go to robohash.org to generate more.

sono

The game will finally release in August (hopefully). Has been delayed multiple times, no show at E3 this year and a lawsuit settled recently. Their website was last updated in May with the IGN preview. Things aren't looking good for them.

I feel like the game will be mediocre at best.I hope I'm wrong because the game lloks great and the potential is huge.

You make several points, so my view and taking each of these points in turn.
1. "delayed multiple times" Games being delayed is not new and actually doesnt generally relate to poor final quality. Ship it when its right is fine by me - so I will discount that
2."Lawsuit" - The Lawsuit was stupid filed by a third party - not their fault - wont affect game quality and it has been settled - so I will discount that
3. "Website last updated in May" -so they are concentrating on getting the game out than updating their website and I think its only June - so I will discount that
4. "Things arent looking good for them" - I cant link this to anything for the above prior reasons - so I will discount that
5., "I feel like the game will be mediocre at best" - the game is not out so there are no reviews, there are lots of opinions on this game yours is just one in a million based on a game that is not out but you are of course entitled to your opinion! I am on the fence waiting for the shipped game..
6. "I hope I am wrong" - we all do

Nokterian

Buying day one..i want to explore space..explore planets..just explore be amazed on things me as a human will never do in real life.

Go watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6goNzXrmFs

When i watch this short movie and he used real footage from nasa..you know my mind goes into overdrive because what if. What if we humans will explore our own universe and beyond in the future when i am not there. But for the moment that will not happen. Mars is a long way off and money is the biggest problem but like i said i can fantasise about it and i always do it because i love space, i love exploration.

Derp

I think hype is going to hurt it bad. The way it's being talked about doesn't help either. Just can't see it living up to the expectations most people have.

I also think it's going to severely lack in content based on what we've seen.

Yeah my expectations are really low. Which is better for me.

gogojira

I think it's going to be a massive disappointment but if it's not I'll pick it up. The concept sounds fun, the realization of the concept is going to be way off, I'm guessing.

Presenting, No Man's Sky procedurally generated alien races:

Not really, but these randomly generated robots (based on usernames as seeds) are examples of how you see patterns and variations of the same very quickly. Gets predictable and boring when you figure out the tricks. Go to robohash.org to generate more.

The game isn't all about just looking at things. It has other very concrete, more "traditional" gameplay systems that you can have fun with in a procedurally generated universe. I have tons of fun doing stuff in minecraft's procedurally generated seeds, and they way NMS handles procedural generation is way more interesting than minecraft for me. From what we know of their engine, which they haven't exactly been secretive about, NMS's generation process is more complex than just mixing around presets and changing colors like the robots you've presented show anyway.

Trojan

Day one. Exploration.

Absolutely. This game, more than any other, is a dream come true if you love exploration in games. I played the first 40 hours of Witcher 3 skipping story to just wander around the map and see what I could find. Those who are like me can't wait for this game.

The fact that the first planet I visit will essentially be the only time that planet will ever be seen by someone else is truly amazing. If you love to explore then this is your Holy Grail. If you're looking for a stronger narrative or very tight gameplay loops, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Omadahl

Banned
I was day 1 because the original release date was perfect. Now it comes out when I go back to work in August. Coupled with grad school and my daughter starting pre-school, I won't be getting it until Christmas at the earliest and most likely next summer. I am bummed.

Cth

On the off chance anyone was curious how the thread has progressed so far..

I tried to compile the posts into a Metacritic/Rotten Tomato type scale (read: my interpretation of the post) using a few criteria. It goes from HYPED to HATE. If a post contained trigger words "pre-order/day one" "spore" "what do you do" "wait for reviews/consensus" I counted them accordingly.

If someone was excited but didn't have a pre-order, it fell between A and B.
If someone was positive but not quite sold, it fell between B and C.
If someone was leaning negative but expressed interest (or waiting for a sale), it fell between C and D.

[ 122 ] A - "Day One"
[ 71 ]
[ 92 ] B - "Wait for reviews/consensus"
[ 41 ]
[ 31 ] C - Ambivalent / Hyped but Reconsidering
[ 72 ]
[ 33 ] D - "What Do You Do?" / "Bombs" / "Spore"
[ 85 ] E - No Interest / Snark / Trolling

DISCLAIMER - Hardly scientific and I had a lot of time to waste

I am so completely stoked for this. I just want to explore an endless universe with massive worlds. If it even lives up to a fraction of the hype, this game will consume me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious about how much you actually explore a planet. All the demos seem to have you landing conveniently by a lake and near buildings, but I don't remember anyone flying around the planet to find that landing spot. If exploring is more like 'fly down from space to spot X' then that would lower my interest. I want the exploring on the ground to be as interesting as flying around in space. I want to be able to (meaningfully) spend time on a planet rather than just land/tag stuff/take off.

I tried to compile the posts into a Metacritic/Rotten Tomato type scale (read: my interpretation of the post) using a few criteria. It goes from HYPED to HATE. If a post contained trigger words "pre-order/day one" "spore" "what do you do" "wait for reviews/consensus" I counted them accordingly.

If someone was leaning negative but expressed interest (or waiting for a sale), it fell between C and D.

[ 122 ] A - "Day One"
[ 71 ]
[ 41 ]
[ 72 ]

Awesome work! Add me to between A and B. I never pre-order games out of principle but I'm highly likely to buy this on day one if the reviews aren't bad. I'm an ecologist IRL, surveying for protected wildlife and environments. This game basically looks like ecology in space, so I couldn't be happier =D

I'm curious about how much you actually explore a planet. All the demos seem to have you landing conveniently by a lake and near buildings, but I don't remember anyone flying around the planet to find that landing spot. If exploring is more like 'fly down from space to spot X' then that would lower my interest. I want the exploring on the ground to be as interesting as flying around in space. I want to be able to (meaningfully) spend time on a planet rather than just land/tag stuff/take off.

I looked into this as well. Basically, they've said most of their demos are obviously pre-planned locations, because due to the game's nature they could end up continually landing on lifeless planets when they only have a few minutes to get the concept of the game across. In real terms of what to expect they say they've balanced the interesting planets to be roughly one in every ten, finding a balance between realism (mostly lifeless rocks) and excitement (finding a planet full of life). If every planet was teeming with life it wouldn't feel like a cool find, and if only 0.1% of planets had life... well yeah.

As for conveniently landing near lakes and buildings, again that seems suited to the demos, but flight seems incredibly fast so finding those locations probably won't be difficult. I'm assuming some points of interest will be highlighted anyway, like trading hubs or mineral rich resource areas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do we know when the PC version is coming out? Wondering whether to hold off on that version in case it gets a VR update.

itshutton

I just don't understand what this game is about. Maybe once we see live streams etc I might jump on board, but for now, it's just not for me.

Unicorn

I'm bearish :-\

Anyways, yeah, I'm bearish.

bear·ish
ˈberiSH/
adjective
resembling or likened to a bear, typically in being rough, surly, or clumsy.
"a bearish figure with muttonchop whiskers"

huh. National Parks provide computers, internet, and GAF accounts to bears, I guess.

eXistor

Absolutely. This game, more than any other, is a dream come true if you love exploration in games. I played the first 40 hours of Witcher 3 skipping story to just wander around the map and see what I could find. Those who are like me can't wait for this game.

But what's that exploration worth if every planet feels the same? You're not gonna meet many, if any, people in the game, the game is that vast, which sounds impressive, but everyone of of them is roughly gonna have the same experience playing the game on samey planets. My main issue is I realised this from the get-go and the illusion doesn't work on me. I want exploration to be meaningful, I don't want to pay a game constantly aware of the game-mechanics like with this (Bethesda games are the same btw).

Unicorn

But what's that exploration worth if every planet feels the same? You're not gonna meet many, if any, people in the game, the game is that vast, which sounds impressive, but everyone of of them is roughly gonna have the same experience playing the game on samey planets. My main issue is I realised this from the get-go and the illusion doesn't work on me. I want exploration to be meaningful, I don't want to pay a game constantly aware of the game-mechanics like with this (Bethesda games are the same btw).

Considering Elite Dangerous has only planetoids available and thousands of people enjoy that game for dozens to hundreds of hours, I'd say planet variety won't be a drawback, even if it does end up being homogeneous. I don't even have Horizons season pass in Elite (so no planet landing at all) and I have close to 60 hours invested in that game, just scanning spheres in empty space and occasionally trading text from one station to another (simplification of resource trading).

The exploration and discovery elements of this game being painted as a potential negative if variety isn't endlessly breathtaking and innovative has spiraled way out of control.

Also, this wasn't meant to be the omni-game - the game meant for everyone to play. Space sims and Space sim-lites are not everyone's cup of tea. Just because this got a huge spotlight doesn't mean this is an attack on anyone who isn't interested. Space enthusiasts' genre is getting more attention than normal and this has oddly caused a backlash from people that don't typically play space games... I guess because this game is taking headlines from potentially other games? I don't know. The narrative about this game is crazy.

99% of games I typically wait for reviews to come out before ordering. With this I have it preordered and payed for already. It is pretty much a dream in game form, even if there are things which turn out not so great, the sense of exploration will still be staggering and most likely hook me in anyway.

That being said, I do expect the game to have some divided reviews. It seems like a game you will either be 100% on board with, or you are not quite sure what to do with it.

neonille

[ 122 ] A - "Day One"
[ 71 ]
[ 41 ]
[ 72 ]

Add me to A btw :)

I personaly love exploring in Minecraft so i have no doubt i will like it in NMS aswell :)

This game is one of those that I shall definitely wait for reviews and fellow Gaf members opinions,before buying.

I'm hoping it turns out great as I love the concept.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Could be my favorite game of all time. I might get sick of it in an hour or two. Frankly it all comes down to how it feels to play, and precious few people outside the devs themselves have done that firsthand.

That said, I have the ridiculous metal ship version preordered so yay retail optimism!
?

Maddrical

It looks beautiful and has one of the nicest CEs I've ever seen (I love iam8bit). But I do not understand what you're supposed to do at all. It just sounds like a 3D version of Starbound which I got bored of quite quick, though I know others love exploration/survival type games. I hope I like it though because I want to like it!

nampad

I want to play it but I will only buy it used.
Already posted several times how I disliked the flip-flopping of Hello Games (Joe Danger stuff).

drotahorror

It was The Order but now its Quantum Break.

That's funny because both are very similar. Having beat both (QB tonite actually), QB is the xb1/PC version of The Order when it comes to story telling and gameplay. Tons of story and non gameplay parts in QB very similar to the order. I don't recall QB catching half as much flak for it either.

I just don't understand what this game is about.

I have just a hair of interest in the game but I feel like this statement is just trolling now. It's a sandbox. The game is about, what you make it about. You want to explore worlds and name creatures and planets? That's what it's about. You you want to join up with Pirates and kill shit? Want to fight pirates? Bounty Hunter? Trade? I guess there is one central goal that everyone wants or should be progressing towards and that's getting to the center of the universe. Not necessary though.

SomTervo

It might be shit. It might not work. The core gameplay loop might not be satisfying and the endless amount of procedurally generated content might turn out to be not-at-all compelling.

However, if you do plenty of reading about it, hands-on previews etc, it sounds like the core gameplay loop does work, and it is going to be fantastic. So day one for me based on the promise.

Beware: The amount of misinformation and misunderstanding about the game is staggering.

I haven't read through the thread yet, I'm just replying straight, but I'd put money on that cool_dude is already in here trolling about the game and keeping his head in the sand.

The closer you get to the center of the galaxy the more different the planets will feel.

Laws of physics will break. Planet layouts and shapes will break. Creature types and algorithms will break.

Closer to the center of the galaxy becomes infinitely more dangerous, surreal, and disturbing as you proceed. It'll get legit hard.

PS Have you heard the quotes from Sean saying that exploration has to be meaningful? Quote:

"I guess we have a vision in mind, and that vision is that people explore. And they’re driven to explore in a way that is challenging." He outlines a scenario: in his game, if you’re on a frigid ice planet and see a distant mountain on the horizon, you’ll have to battle to get there. Upgrading your suit and weaponry; surviving the elements; facing off against the predators that stalk planets at night. The challenge of the journey itself imbues the end goal with gravitas. It has weight. "You’re just about able to make it to that mountain, and you stand at the top of it, and then you see the sunrise. That becomes a really meaningful moment for you. But if there was no challenge in between, and you were just able to walk there ambiently, then it has way less meaning."

SomTervo

Um. Planet's are just there. There's no scripting or on-railing surrounding them.

You can fly around a whole planet and pick where you want to land based on wildlife; buildings; resources; safety.

If you want, you can upgrade your ship's weapons and blow a hole clean through the planet and fly in to mine.

The choice is yours. It sounds like 75% of their work has been making the on-planet exploration as meaningful as possible. You can break into buildings, meet aliens, hide from space-based pursuers, tag wildlife, look for portals, etc etc.

That's the point, I've been through the thread and I don't think anything has been explained. Unless the answer is "not a lot".

There are a bunch of written hands-on previews by journalists from early May. I recommend reading those. Very enlightening and have interjections from the devs explaining stuff. In short:

- your 'objective' is to reach the center of the galaxy. When you open up the starmap you can see all nearby systems but also a 'breadcrumb trail', a gold line showing you the most direct route to the center
- the devs are very secretive about what is there, so we don't really know if it's a maguffin or if it will have meaningful content (presumably the latter, TBH. You don't give players a massive objective like that and then make it nothing but the credits)
- you start on the outer edge of the galaxy with low-tech gear. To get anywhere you need better engines, more fuel. To get these items/upgrades you need to hunt for resources, survive dangerous weather/animals, etc (this is the beginning of the 'what you do' gameplay loop)
- the closer you get to the center of the galaxy the more dangerous planets and space-faring races become. Planets will be more toxic (poison atmospheres, high radiation, freezing/extreme heat), and have more dangerous wildlife. So you need to keep upgrading your weapons, suit and ship to survive here. You can't just fly along merrily to the end of the game. You'll die repeatedly if you do. The devs are dedicated to making the game challenging (see my quote above to eXistor)
- reaching the center could take anywhere from 50-200 hours, or forever if you weren't interested and just wanted to explore
- there are a bunch of hand-crafted (ie non-random) space-faring races who you can enter dialogue with, who have faction affiliations, etc. Build up affiliation with them and you can have good trade. Kill them and you can steal their stuff but aggro other race members. They have buildings on planets you can break into, destroy, gain access to through dialogue. There are hints you can hire positive-affiliation race members as wingmen for more fire support. Different races are at war across the galaxy and these battles are just dynamically happening of their own accord

So as a player you have the choice to:
- just muck about in an endless, unique universe exploring and finding cool shit
- aim for the center of the galaxy to 'beat the game' and see what happens (will still lead to a long, hard adventure)
- join forces with an alien faction and take part in the galactic war

Ofc, you're basically making your own fun either way. Unless there's some really game-changing shit at the center of the galaxy.

Edit: and ofc none of it might come together and the game might still be shit

OP is trolling.

Anyway, it's only been delayed once.

I can't fathom why people want games to fail, they are created by actual humans who do this to work for a living, why you'd wish any game to fail is beyond me.

Lots of people now seem to be reveling in the hope that this game is a dud and their opinion gets "validated" by other users of the internet.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
What do you mean by "having the same experience" and "samey planets" what what would make them different?

Top Bottom