• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the evidence that Gamepass type services are "the future" moving forward?

I don't think the SP will have MTX, but either they have a smaller budget, or sell lots and lots of DLC (which I honestly barely buy DLC). Idk. I guess the conversation will be very interesting to have in December 2024.

I'm not talking about the best versions. I'm talking about improvements that have nothing to do with running the game better on PC.

If the PC versions runs 4k 120fps, fine. That's not worth the $70. What's worth the extra $10 are what I mentioned above. Going BIGGER on everything.
Not sure why the budgets would get smaller under one of the richest corporations on the planet. Not sure I get what you are saying there sorry.

PC versions do far more than up the FPS and resolution. That seems like a really ill-informed or disingenuous take. An easy example is battlefield; Always been ebtter on PC than console and with far more improvements than just fps and res. There are vast graphically difference between console and PC versions day one and the PC version will still be cheaper at launch. I don't even know what "going BIGGER on everything" is supposed to mean? Is't the PS5 version of HFW just a better looking version of the PS4 game? Why does the PS5 version cost more than the PS4 version? If the PC version is the best, then how can it sell for less than the PS4 version? That whole stance falls completely flat because PC has been shitting on console for years in terms of quality.

DaGwaphics

Damn someone seems triggered.

Not a fan of F2P either tbh but still need to take into account reality. Love how you glossed over Halo's MTX-free single player campaign was included with gamepass too, couldnt spend money in that part of the game even if you wanted too.

Played over 20 games on gamepass in the last 3 months, none had MTX.

I'm not in favour of MTX or whales but reality is what it is, gamepass is possible because of MTX and in its current state it is by no means plagued by F2P games, doesnt mean it wont be in the future but as it stands its great.

Also I would never pay $70 for a game because it aint worth it and is a total con. If HZD launched for $50 and the sequel launches for $70 that would mean that with a almost 50% price jump we will get roughly 50% more content right?

The thing that is all but guaranteed is that GamePass will never be filled with F2P games, no point in doing that. All the games included will be games with a sales price of some kind, no real point in bundling free stuff together. What many fail to see, is that GP could be the best refuge for protecting story-driven, single player content. Especially as the market moves more and more towards GaaS, the more time gamers spend there the less big budget single player games make sense.

soulbait

From reading the first two pages of this thread:

• GamPass is great due to it gives me two things: instant access to Microsoft's first party offerings and the ability to try games that I would have a hard time buying in the first place. For example, this weekend I downloaded "Telling Lies", a game that I usually would not buy. It was one of the most unique gaming experiences I have had. I was engrossed in the story, taking notes, and trying to unravel all the threads. I would not usually buy something like this, but I was bored this weekend and gave it a shot.
  • Horizon: Forbidden West: hell yeah that game makes me want to buy a PS5 (the first one is what pushed me to get my PS4 Pro). I enjoy all gaming, but I usually go for Xbox first. I loved the first Horizon, and yes I could play it on my PS4 Pro, but I want to play it at its best and my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine, pulling me out of games (stopped playing GOW because of this). I want a PS5 to fully enjoy the game.

Bragr

Banned
Most users of a console buy a few games and that's it. If you can hook them into a subscription, you will maximize your customer retention. Something like Game Pass is a good way to do this.

Also, the consolidation of streaming and subscription platforms in the movie industry shows the future. There is a point where the service is too good to miss out on, like Netflix, you don't have to go back too many years to remember how it was when you had to purchase every single movie or TV show on DVD. Having it under one umbrella is such a good offer that it's gonna draw in millions that are willing to pay monthly.

A service that can offer hundreds of games under one subscription is gonna out-compete any other service. The offer is too good, as long as you can get people to try it out and deliver a constant supply of games, you will eventually suck up most of the customers. The only way to compete with this is to offer something similar, as HBO or Disney did versus Netflix.

Sony has to do that, come up with their own service, or it's eventually gonna be game over for them.

Beechos

Because who plays a 2 hour movie or a 30 minute album over and over again like a video game?

I'm tired of these it will work because it worked for movies (not really, Netflix is losing money). Gamepass will get less subs if Nintendo, Steam and Sony join and nobody will make enough money and games will get worse because of it. Wake up!!
Not me i play mostly single player games i beat it and move on. You also have to understand theres multitudes more video and audio content avail right? How long will it take someone to watch a whole season of game of thrones for examaple?
I not arguing if itll be successful or the economics but thats where the industry is heading like it or not. There are tons of companies that dont make any money but are yet those most valuable in the world and netflix is one of them. According to you companies like netflix, tesla, uber airbnb are failures.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I not arguing if itll be successful or the economics but thats where the industry is heading like it or not. There are tons of companies that dont make any money but are yet those most valuable in the world and netflix is one of them. According to you companies like netflix, tesla, uber airbnb are failures.
Totally.

Company worth is more than profits. It's about growth, potential, intellectual property and dominance.

That's why weird biotech companies with absolutely zero sales, zero approved products and losses of $100s of million per year can still be worth a billion dollars.

Sony's own TV division way back lost something crazy like $10 billion over 5-6 years. If that's the case, that division should be worth $0 at the time. Amazon had a hard time making money for a long time. They lost money for most years at the beginning. I think it was maybe 8 years ago(?) when they finally started banking big profits. But that doesn't mean the first 15 years of existence the company is worth $0.

Give Sony and Amazon enough time and the TV division and Amazon are big successes now.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm not sure that this is necessarily true.

From most accounts, it doesn't appear Sonys answer to GamePass will provide day 1 exclusives, which is arguably the most attractive feature of GamePass.

Alternatively, Sony seems to be pushing a ton of their chips into GAAS rather than creating a true GamePass competitor.

Microsoft would love it if Sony didn't change course from their PS4 era ways. Releasing one or two high profile AAA single player games that can be completed in a weekend, each year, is the rock to GamePasses paper. Especially now that XBox has so many more studios than PlayStation.
Looking at what Sony did and said these recent years this is their strategy:
  • Highly increasing the headcount of existing internal gamedev teams
  • Acquiring successful partners that can help their 1st party teams in areas or niches where they aren't or don't excel (AAA arcade shooters, FPS, huge multiplayer games, GaaS) or areas where some help would be appreciated to delegate this work (remakes, PC ports, VR, mobile)
  • Plans to grow in other platforms like porting old some games to PC, bringing their IPs to movies or mobile gaming
  • Now with Bungie, acquiring multiplatform publishers without including them inside PS Studios, so even if now as part of SIE they will continue selfpublishing even in non-MS consoles
  • To release next gen iterations of heir hardware (PSVR2), services (PS Plus & PS Now) or OS feaures (from PSN chat and communities to Discord, PS5 Tournaments features etc

There are many things they'll add to PS Now that seem are going to be released this year but were already announced back in 2014 as their PS Now long term plans, or that we saw them mentioned to investors or in patents like over 2 or 3 years ago. Some of them have been implemented before by MS (like smart tv, smartphone or tablets client), but Sony won't do them as a reaction to GP.

They are breaking many gaming industry history records for any platform holder in many areas, they are solid market leaders in many of these areas and are growing in all of them, plus on top of that they are doing it with huge and growing revenue and profit. I don't see worried with MS, or making big changes to their strategy as reaction to MS.

I think Sony will keep having mostly the same strategy but will copy a handful of things from MS like having a PS Now tier without cloud gaming that is available worldwide (base GP tier) or buying a publisher instead of a dev and keeping them as multiplatform (first case for Sony is Bungie if we ignore Psygnosis).

Last edited:
Totally.

Company worth is more than profits. It's about growth, potential, intellectual property and dominance.

That's why weird biotech companies with absolutely zero sales, zero approved products and losses of $100s of million per year can still be worth a billion dollars.

Sony's own TV division way back lost something crazy like $10 billion over 5-6 years. If that's the case, that division should be worth $0 at the time. Amazon had a hard time making money for a long time. They lost money for most years at the beginning. I think it was maybe 8 years ago(?) when they finally started banking big profits. But that doesn't mean the first 15 years of existence the company is worth $0.

Give Sony and Amazon enough time and the TV division and Amazon are big successes now.
There's also a massive misunderstanding when it comes to some companies and not making a profit. People who point to Netflix never making a profit as some gotcha simply expose themselves as not understanding. They take a giant sign out of their pocket that says "I don't understand business" and wave it in our faces like a badge of honor. "Subscriptions models barely make a profit, look at Netflix hurrdurrhurr."

Revenue v profits sometimes comes down to taxes. Netflix would rather NOT make a profit and avoid taxes by funneling revenue (revenue that if not be reinvested and taken as profits would be taxed) into purchasing and developing further content. Netflix could easily stop investing in themselves and turn a profit. They've had the financial stability to turn a profit since in their first few years.

DaGwaphics

There's also a massive misunderstanding when it comes to some companies and not making a profit. People who point to Netflix never making a profit as some gotcha simply expose themselves as not understanding. They take a giant sign out of their pocket that says "I don't understand business" and wave it in our faces like a badge of honor. "Subscriptions models barely make a profit, look at Netflix hurrdurrhurr."

Revenue v profits sometimes comes down to taxes. Netflix would rather NOT make a profit and avoid taxes by funneling revenue (revenue that if not be reinvested and taken as profits would be taxed) into purchasing and developing further content. Netflix could easily stop investing in themselves and turn a profit. They've had the financial stability to turn a profit since in their first few years.

Same with Spotify, they are guaranteed 30% of whatever they can collect. If they wanted to turn a profit from that, they certainly could by slashing the insane amount they spend on promotional efforts. Just like Netflix, they choose to reinvest in themselves. On top of that Netflix has had a positive net profit margin for some time now, so, not sure why people still say that about them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
From reading the first two pages of this thread:

[*]GamPass is great due to it gives me two things: instant access to Microsoft's first party offerings and the ability to try games that I would have a hard time buying in the first place. For example, this weekend I downloaded "Telling Lies", a game that I usually would not buy. It was one of the most unique gaming experiences I have had. I was engrossed in the story, taking notes, and trying to unravel all the threads. I would not usually buy something like this, but I was bored this weekend and gave it a shot.
The big advantage of gamepass is being able to just try out a full game. I too started playing Telling Lies due to it being zero cost to me. I've done this with multiple games, my kids see someone playing Gang Beasts or that fish in a bowl game on YouTube we can just play it. I wouldn't buy it because they will have moved on to something else next week.
For something like Forza Horizon 5 it means that I feel comfortable buying the premium version as I no longer need to invest in the base game.
It may not be the *only* future but it will be a big part of it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's hilarious to me how people here think they know everything and then voice their so called armchair opinion without knowing jack shit. If you are so knowledgble go get a job at Sony or Microsoft and tell their financial and marketing psychologists that they suck ass and that you are better than everyone else.
You can't call someone a fanboy when they own all the systems and play them daily. You are a dingus dude.

Just report him dude. It's another typical concern trolls thread.
Not which franchises or what sold the most you hypocrite goose.
You sound like that kid in school who throws a tantrum every time he doesn't get what he wants. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Up their butt.
A lot of people don't like GaaS or subscriptions? Shit no wonder the mobile market that is filled with F2P, MTX and also Spotify is barely making any money, everyone hates it. How delusional are you? NeoGaf is not majority of the people goofball.

You sure about that? I'd like too see you sing your other tune once Sony releases a competitor to Game Pass which has been confirmed by Jim Ryan multiple times now.

Let's wait till Spartacus then come and talk.

yikes-well.gif

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I am reserving judgment until we get past the introductory years. If the prices are right after the users have been acquired there is clearly a market for subscription. If the price gets to the point where you pay for a new game every two months, I'm not as confident it stays as popular.
The problem is the introductory years will be the best years to sweeten the pot and get this engine running. Publishers are still creating a lot of great traditional single player content so there seems to be a lot of value here. If they manage to get everyone on board, the services will cost more and the competing companies on the platform will try increasingly predatory tactics to juice the consumers. The service is simply not set up for super high budget single player experience free of GaaS and mincrostransactions. Publishers will have very little incentive to bring those games to these platforms.

No. You're wrong. Look at people reacting at Halo Infinite battle pass, lack of skins, high price of skins. Look at Gears 5 complaints about lootboxes.

Those are just two examples out of a bevy of other 1P games that...don't have those specific issues? I mean, there are non-GaaS titles with crap pricing schemes as well and lack of content, should they serve as indictments on all games provided through the traditional delivery model?

Watch new games with new characters being high priced or excessively grindy to get. Nickel and diming you every step of the way.

There are games that have been doing this with no presence on subscription services so, again, how does a subscription service suddenly enable the existence of practices that have already been here? I know you can't answer this right now because, well, you're banned, but if you're reading this just think about it.

and why would they lose that 18%? I find it better paying $60 for a multiplayer game and having everything unlocked instead of having it free to play and each character costing $10. If you prefer the latter, good, because most people do, but it's not more "value" to have games like that on a service.

What's considered of more "value" depends on who's looking at it. But generally speaking, having access to a wide gamut of games at an affordable monthly price, especially when the vast majority of those games are pretty solid quality (we can look at MetaCritic scores for an objective proof of this), is generally going to be considered great value by the average person.

And again, you're predicating certain MTX practices on a thing that doesn't have to exist for those practices to be present. Bad MTX schemes, bad grinding loops etc. have been in gaming well before the advent of GamePass. The subscription service is just a delivery method for the content, it is not necessarily there to shape how the content is built. We can look at film/tv subscription services like Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max etc. to see this. Some of those even still abide by the "one-episode-per-week" style formula of traditional television because, surprise!, it works better for long-term retention and mindshare.

Besides that, all of the same filming, storytelling, structure techniques established with film and television in traditional media are at play with content being made specifically for streaming services today. Otherwise, the vast majority of new shows on these services would be more akin to Twitch's sci-fi AI show where the story changes in real-time based on chat participation.

Which has its place as a type of show and storytelling, as well, but it's an extreme outlier in terms of storytelling content in a film/television framing fundamentally changed due to the delivery platform (content streaming, live streaming in Twitch's case) and one not being repeated by film/television sub services nor gaming subscription services, at least not yet. Even if/when such starts to happen (which probably won't be for some time; you'd need advanced algorithms, lots of varied pre-recorded & pre-made content/assets and advanced tech to seamlessly adjust/swap in content dynamically in real-time with very fine levels of granularity for a smooth experience), that won't suddenly be the death knell for quality or the medium some of you are afraid it'll be.

It'll just mean the birth of a new type of interactive content; you'll have some who dabble in making it and others who don't. Delivery platforms/systems like GamePass will still allow both because ultimately they're about appealing to a wide net of users and that includes serving various niches simultaneously.

They're selling better than third party single player games. They're totally fine.

Okay but most 3P aren't even making single-player games these days, especially story-driven, narrative-heavy action-adventure types of which Sony studios are known for regularly doing. Kind of a weird flex.

If by "the future" you mean a supplementary service that provides value to gamers and the service providers, then yes clearly. We're already here.

If by "the future" you mean becomes the single dominant distribution method for games, on the whole, no fucking chance. Unless you think every third party AAA publisher is going to give up making AAA because under said model they're no longer economic for anyone other than sub-service providers that reap the lion's share of revenues.

Agreed; although it could very well become the dominant method, it won't be the only one, and that's the important part. There'll be an audience for physical media, for non-subscription digital content and as long as that audience persists there will be companies to provide things for them.

However, percentage of the market matters, too. I'm sure there are still some people who prefer VHS tapes but they make up such a minuscule fraction of today's market that the big companies don't care to cater to them. At most they probably have to get tapes pressed through a specialty boutique type of shop and that drives up the costs for the client.

Gaming is a unique case, though, because the competitive scene in particular for things like FPS, MOBA, fighters etc. are not going to settle for streaming for a VERY long time. The latency just won't be competitive with beastly local hardware that can run the game natively. That could present a unique incentive to continue providing console hardware into the future for a segment of the gaming audience that wants them, not to mention hosting on the cloud server side benefiting from that hardware.

And if you still have consoles in the picture, even without physical media you would still have an obvious case for purchasable digital copies of games. Depending on how internet infrastructures pan out over the decade (and ISP data limits), there might still be a reason for physical media as well tho IMO it'll shift away from discs to something more like Switch-style cartridges (that's what I think the next consoles will use, and have those interface with decompression hardware for boosting bandwidth rates similar to the SSDs of current on consoles).

So there is always going to be the option of at least digital purchases outside of subscription streaming (emphasis on streaming in particular; subscriptions alone can still allow for digital downloads to run natively, which is basically what GamePass does if you're not using xCloud), and probably physical media for another generation, but cloud streaming definitely has its place in the industry as well and will continue to.

You should ask you friend why would they stop, he’s the one claiming people would always chose “more bang for buck” when it’s obviously not true.
As for why replay a game… are you serious? Apart from replayability factors like Souls game offer, some (lots actually) like to replay the games at higher difficulties, try new builds, redo the challenges, rexperience the story. I mean, is this a serious question? People replay games all the time.

Most people don't replay games, it's just the hardcore fans of a game who do.

There is little evidence that Game Pass is the future... it's why MS is spending billions to force feed it down our throats. MS is creating a demand for subscription services and using Netflix as the model.

Every company creates a demand for a product to some extent. A lot of console gamers weren't necessarily clamoring for CDs before the PS1 came around. In fact, add-ons like the Sega/Mega CD and overpriced ventures like the 3DO probably made most console games more apprehensive to the medium. A lot of them'd of been okay with cartridges going forward, but companies like Sony helped drive a demand for CDs in the console gaming space...and they spent hundreds of millions to do so.

No company makes a product successful without spending tons of money on it, so this is a non-issue.

Notice how Spotify or Netflix grew from the ground up? They solved a problem in their specific industries... Sending people discs through the mail vs sending movies directly to their TV or instead of people having to download gigs of music illegally, provide them with a service to get their music easily.

Spotify and Netflix weren't the first attempts at those things, and used tons of cash to push their services forward regardless. There were already in-between solutions to the film side due to chains like Blockbuster & Hollywood Video. Also going by this logic, if you think the Netflix model was a good one then why did Spotify skip sending music CDs and vinyl records to people through the mail, and jumped straight to digital delivery?

Also worth noting is that Netflix eventually adopted a digital distribution model, but built that off of Xbox Live's digital service for film and television content they offered during the 360 generation.

Gaming has never really needed a subscription service on this level.

What's fundamentally different from GamePass versus, say, PS Now (which came first) other than the ability to download the games to play natively on console, and having 1P games there Day 1? Neither of which are too vastly different from what PS Now does (in terms of certain infrastructure you'd need to provide it).

If you think about it, GamePass is basically a digital Blockbuster Video, except you're paying a single monthly fee to "rent" whatever game or games you want, for either native or cloud play (you choose), no time limits on your "rental period", and you can still purchase the games there while getting a slight discount. Would you go back to the '90s and argue that gaming "never really needed" rental stores like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?

Because that's actually what certain game publishers tried arguing. Why? Because they wanted to bolster up game sales, but it wasn't all for reasons based on "the pursuit of art". Some of those companies just wanted to shield crappy games from being exposed through a rental so that a sucker could plop down the cash to buy it. Never mind a LOT of kids back then, relied on game renting to play as many games as they did.

But screw those kids, am I right? Screw the customer, yeah? Those kids should've just quit school and joined a car factory plant, damn cheapstakes.

Games are played different than movies or music. There are some people who only play 2-3 games a year. Very few people consume the volume of games on the level of consuming music or TV. The idea that MS will be coming out with a AAA game every month is laughably wasteful. There will be so many games that go unplayed.

Uh, no they won't? You don't seem to realize that by this logic, most games on PlayStation go unplayed, because no gamer plays EVERY SINGLE GAME released on the platform.

The point of having that range of available games on the service is to cater to various niches. Gamer A probably won't play Game # 37, but Gamer C probably will. It's the same as it works on console with people buying their games traditionally. There is no one singular game that serves every gamer on the face of the planet, hence why companies make multiple titles.

There's no reason to bring comparisons to film and music in this, because in a lot of ways the same thing applies to them as well: no one watches every single movie or tv show that ever comes out.

Ask yourself this: Why aren't consumers the ones pushing this? Why did it take a trillion dollar tech company to dump nearly $100 billion on acquisitions, $1 subscriptions and dumping full $60 games to make this happen?

1: There ARE consumers who want a subscription service. Just look at the oodles of people begging for Sony to make a GamePass competitor in Spartacus ;)

2: The "$1 subs" are a conversion of fixed 2-year XBL Gold subs to GPU subs.

Last edited:
Also if you guys want to see a mediocre argument WRT GamePass over on the "other" side, let's tear this one apart (try to guess the user):

Think of it this way: If Microsoft starts giving away third party games for "free*" on Playstation hardware, something that right now does not happen, that is Playstation customers spending less money on third party games, via a subscription fee where the bulk of the the cash goes to their competitor instead.

Anyone thinking this through would realize if Microsoft were to provide a GP equivalent for a platform like PlayStation, they would literally just confine it to 1P content. So this entire point of fearmongering means absolutely nil and is a waste of time to spend energy on.

Microsoft would be siphoning third party sales revenue off of Sony's platform, using Sony's platform as a vector for this siphoning, which hurts Sony financially and makes it harder for them to afford to support their own developers and their own customers with games and content.

Hmm...sounds pretty similar to what Sony's done for years to competitors in locking down ever-extending 3P exclusivity deals, making it harder for divisions like Xbox to being financially health and harder for them to afford to support their own devs and customers with games and content...yet I 100% bet you weren't arguing on behalf of the Xbox platform in those instances, right?

This would effectively be the same thing in reverse if Sony put Spartacus on Xbox hardware. Microsoft could, and CAN tank the loss of third party sales revenue more easily than Sony can, so they may not care as much about it, but I imagine if Jim offered such a deal to Phil he'd still turn it down because people who sub to Spartacus on Xbox might have less reason to subscribe to Game Pass.

Not if they tailored Spartacus to host only 1P games content on Xbox (and Nintendo) platforms, likely via streaming-only options..which, again, is what these companies would realistically do if indeed looking to take their services to rival platforms. So again, you're worrying and arguing over a nothingburger because your feared scenario would never come into play.

There is basically no logical reason why any of these platform holders would be okay with letting their competitors put a sub service on their own platforms. It would need to be an absolutely gutted implementation of said service that focuses exclusively on first-party games, and I am fairly certain both Jim and Phil would say no if they were asked to release a gimped version of Game Pass/Spartacus on competing hardware.

What logic did you operate on to come to this conclusion? Having their 1P titles available on a rival platform as part of a subscription service, most likely through cloud-only streaming option, still opens up those games to a lot of new audiences and generates more revenue, as well as serving a means for brand advertising on those other platforms.

"Gimped" is the wrong way to view this: the point is that those games would be available on other platforms through a streaming client tied to a given subscription service plan. The owner of those services can still get a cut for sign-ups on the other console hardware, and people who want to play the games natively would still need to buy the consoles the games are originally made for. This all just serves as adding more options for the customer, which is never a bad thing.

They aren't going for fairness and they don't actually want to break down barriers between the platforms.

No shit, Sherlock? Though let's also be 100% honest here; you're looking at this from a PlayStation player's POV, as someone who for one reason or another primarily wants to confine their gaming time to just the PlayStation platform(s) and ecosystem. To try and imply that fairness isn't being pursued, when these companies are literally providing a means for mobile gamers and PC gamers to play their games, simply because a specific console platform you prefer might be exempt from that, is ridiculous.

The same goes to the claim that they (which, at this point, would be Microsoft in this example) aren't trying to break down barriers. That's an extremely narrow-minded POV, full stop, especially considering that, again, they've stuck with bringing their games to PC Day-and-Date, opening up streaming of their games to smartphones, tablets, & other mobile devices, and have also invested in initiatives such as All-Access and controllers specifically built for disabled gamers.

But when you're fanboying, all of these points of reality fly right over your head to try reinforcing nonsensical arguments, huh?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Yup.

I remember some Amazon finance guy way back when they werent banking profits yet say something similar.

Just to show how dumb the profit angle is, that PS3 era had crap profits. I believe that era actually lost money and ate up lots of PS1 and PS2 profits.

Therefore, during that era of gaming when PS3 was losing money the brand was worth $0 and a total failure. And that wasn't even just one part of PS3, it was the entire division going down with the ship.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yup.

I remember some Amazon finance guy way back when they werent banking profits yet say something similar.

Just to show how dumb the profit angle is, that PS3 era had crap profits. I believe that era actually lost money and ate up lots of PS1 and PS2 profits.

Therefore, during that era of gaming when PS3 was losing money the brand was worth $0 and a total failure.
That wasn't a good era for Sony. Companies need to make profits to sustain themselves unless they have unending pockets and success.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That wasn't a good era for Sony. Companies need to make profits to sustain themselves unless they have unending pockets and success.

Sony was struggling across the board back then. As a conglomerate they were in too many unprofitable businesses. As much as I love crazy Ken Sony did the right thing by having Cerny be the PS4 architect. Lowering their R&D cost for PS4 was just as important as shedding the businesses they were in that were unprofitable. I'm glad Sony had the foresight to stick with gaming. I have to believe that after PS3 PlayStation could have been on the list of things they might sell. Part of me wants to see Sony get back to the scrappy, edgier risks they took with PS1 and PS2 instead of the very safe, formulaic status quo they set with PS4.

DaGwaphics

What logic did you operate on to come to this conclusion? Having their 1P titles available on a rival platform as part of a subscription service, most likely through cloud-only streaming option, still opens up those games to a lot of new audiences and generates more revenue, as well as serving a means for brand advertising on those other platforms.

"Gimped" is the wrong way to view this: the point is that those games would be available on other platforms through a streaming client tied to a given subscription service plan. The owner of those services can still get a cut for sign-ups on the other console hardware, and people who want to play the games natively would still need to buy the consoles the games are originally made for. This all just serves as adding more options for the customer, which is never a bad thing.

I disagree hard on that one. Pushing first-party to a rival absolutely risks the health of the home ecosystem. Even a streaming only option isn't a particularly good look. If Sony users are willing to stream a game and subscribe to your service, why do that on PS. They can take that controller onto another device easy enough and now they have access to the full GP offer. From there they can potentially buy content for games they otherwise would have played on PS. Better to find more neutral partnerships to push streaming (Roku, TV manufacturers, PC vendors, etc.) There will be some financial strings there as well (even Roku will expect a cut), but it would likely be something that could easily be absorbed and that would not effect the titles that could be made available. Same for Sony at the end of the day. A PS or Xbox in the cloud is still worth a lot more than streaming first-party on a competitors box.

That's not to say that something like MineCraft or CoD won't be multi-platform, but you give up everything, you have no leverage left. That didn't work so good for Stadia.

Last edited:

NickFire

Anyone thinking this through would realize if Microsoft were to provide a GP equivalent for a platform like PlayStation, they would literally just confine it to 1P content. So this entire point of fearmongering means absolutely nil and is a waste of time to spend energy on.
I believe this would be the case as well. Any competing platform, and the 3rd party publishers would insist on it. MS would insist on it too if they allowed another company to put a similar service in their ecosystem. There‘s no business reason compelling enough for any of them to harm sales opportunities. Any first party pass from any of the big three would sell an absolute ton of subs without it already. Lost subs would be peanuts in comparison.

I love GP for plenty of reasons but I don’t care that people keep buying games if they want to, I don’t see it as an either/or situation.

I don’t see a lot of people asking for games to stop being sold directly, that’s fearmongering to me. And nothing indicates that you will be forced to use a subscription to play games in the future, HBO exists for years now and you can still buy their production in Blu-Ray if you want to.

All of this is just tired arguments:
- « it will decrease the quality of games », in reality MS games have never rated so highly;
- « you will be forced to use it », still nothing is exclusive to GP after four years;
- « the price will increase », again it still hasn’t happened meanwhile buying games has become more expensive with next gen.

It’s just the concern bingo again and again. And to say it again: nobody is bothered if you keep buying games and don’t want to use a sub.
The price increase prediction really grinds my gears. They Never put a time frame that so if gamepass does go up in price on the next 10 years they can turn around and say "told you so".

Literally everything has gone up in price this year. Gamepass hasnt gone up in price at all since it first launched. It's inevitable that it will go up at some point. Inflation alone will dictate that.

Spotify, Netflix and practically every single streaming service in existence has had price increases at some point. I dojt remember seeing movie/music fanboys saying don't subscribe to x service because at some point it will go up. Its a stupid argument. Of course it will. If you don't like the price at the price increase.... Leave it! Your not in a contract.

Agreed; although it could very well become the dominant method, it won't be the only one, and that's the important part. There'll be an audience for physical media, for non-subscription digital content and as long as that audience persists there will be companies to provide things for them.

No chance of game subs becoming the dominant distribution channel.

Unless every major third party publisher and dev is assimilated under the corporate banners of Sony, MS and Nintendo, the third party publishers themselves will simply cock block any attempts to make Netflix-like sub-services dominant by refusing to support them.

Sub services being dominant would change the entire gaming landscape meaning most of the biggest most popular games cannot be supported unless they're financed by first parties (which requires a massive number of ever-increasing subscriber-base to make it make any sense at all).

At the start of 2020 PS+ had 45 million subscribers. It now has 48 million subscribers 2 years later.

Game Pass started 2020 with 10 million subscribers. It now has 25 million+ subscribers 2 years later.

That's a 5 to 1 growth advantage in favor of Game Pass when many would say many of Xbox's releases didn't really kick off till around the time Psychonauts 2 released, and even then you could find it Playstation.

That mad dash to Game Pass over the last 2 years, growing 15 million+ despite Halo Infinite's delay, despite not a single new title from Bethesda yet, before Starfield has come, before Elder Scrolls 6, and before a number of other major releases, made more interesting by the Activision acquisition, you start to see just how deadly Game Pass will become.

It tells you people are recognizing what the hell they're getting from Game Pass is too insane a value to pass up. What happens when Diablo IV drops, Overwatch 2, the new Blizzard IP? How about when World of Warcraft is added to Game Pass, and an existing WoW subscription automatically gets you Game Pass Ultimate at no additional cost? When COD, new ones and Warzone can finally be added to Game Pass? You think how does Warzone in Game Pass help? Simple, free perks you get just for signing up for Game Pass to play it.

Oh, and Bethesda has a shit ton of other games we still don't even know about yet.

It's pretty clear we are going to get more Game Pass like game services. It's almost certainly the future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At the start of 2020 PS+ had 45 million subscribers. It now has 48 million subscribers 2 years later.

Game Pass started 2020 with 10 million subscribers. It now has 25 million+ subscribers 2 years later.

That's a 5 to 1 growth advantage in favor of Game Pass when many would say many of Xbox's releases didn't really kick off till around the time Psychonauts 2 released, and even then you could find it Playstation.

That mad dash to Game Pass over the last 2 years, growing 15 million+ despite Halo Infinite's delay, despite not a single new title from Bethesda yet, before Starfield has come, before Elder Scrolls 6, and before a number of other major releases, made more interesting by the Activision acquisition, you start to see just how deadly Game Pass will become.

It tells you people are recognizing what the hell they're getting from Game Pass is too insane a value to pass up. What happens when Diablo IV drops, Overwatch 2, the new Blizzard IP? How about when World of Warcraft is added to Game Pass, and an existing WoW subscription automatically gets you Game Pass Ultimate at no additional cost? When COD, new ones and Warzone can finally be added to Game Pass? You think how does Warzone in Game Pass help? Simple, free perks you get just for signing up for Game Pass to play it.

Oh, and Bethesda has a shit ton of other games we still don't even know about yet.

It's pretty clear we are going to get more Game Pass like game services. It's almost certainly the future.
A more apples to apples comparison is PS Now vs GP.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The price increase prediction really grinds my gears. They Never put a time frame that so if gamepass does go up in price on the next 10 years they can turn around and say "told you so".

Literally everything has gone up in price this year. Gamepass hasnt gone up in price at all since it first launched. It's inevitable that it will go up at some point. Inflation alone will dictate that.

Spotify, Netflix and practically every single streaming service in existence has had price increases at some point. I dojt remember seeing movie/music fanboys saying don't subscribe to x service because at some point it will go up. Its a stupid argument. Of course it will. If you don't like the price at the price increase.... Leave it! Your not in a contract.
Price increases are only one side of the coin. If these services continue popularise the content added to them will continue to fit the model itself. F2P, GaaS and micros transactions based games are made for services like this and this is the direction most third parties would be likely continue to go to generate profits.

Price increases are only one side of the coin. If these services continue popularise the content added to them will continue to fit the model itself. F2P, GaaS and micros transactions based games are made for services like this and this is the direction most third parties would be likely continue to go to generate profits.
It's literally the opposite, GaaS have no need for a sub platform like Game Pass because they already are their own platforms.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's literally the opposite, GaaS have no need for a sub platform like Game Pass because they already are their own platforms.
GaaS will put their games wherever they can. What incentive will developers have to deliver high budget single player experiences without GaaS or micro transactions if services like this become the norm?

GaaS will put their games wherever they can. What incentive will developers have to deliver high budget single player experiences without GaaS or micro transactions if services like this become the norm?
You make no sense. MS has multiple studios developing "high budget single player experiences" right now to put on Game Pass to make it more appealing for consumers. So nothing you are saying is a reflection of reality. I don't even really care about those kind of "games" but they are there and they are coming. So I don't know what you are talking about.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You make no sense. MS has multiple studios developing "high budget single player experiences" right now to put on Game Pass to make it more appealing for consumers. So nothing you are saying is a reflection of reality. I don't even really care about those kind of "games" but they are there and they are coming. So I don't know what you are talking about.
Microsoft is still trying to get this platform off the ground. They are trying to make it is appealing as possibly in the early stages hoping it becomes standardised. Once/if it does, there is no incentive at all to create the kinds of games I outlined for services like this. Furthermore, we have no details on the games they're releasing whatsoever.

Last edited:
Microsoft is still trying to get this platform off the ground. They are trying to make it is appealing as possibly in the early stages hoping it becomes standardised. Once/if it does, there is no incentive at all to create the kinds of games I outlined for services like this.
You keep saying that as if it is self-evidently true. If that’s what you want to believe, then go for it. I’m gonna go play on Game Pass now (y).

kingfey

Banned
Microsoft is still trying to get this platform off the ground. They are trying to make it is appealing as possibly in the early stages hoping it becomes standardised. Once/if it does, there is no incentive at all to create the kinds of games I outlined for services like this. Furthermore, we have no details on the games they're releasing whatsoever.
That is not how business works. MS would be foolish to do, what you are suggesting. They will be throwing away, a service which would make alot of banks for a long time. Not to mention, you need constant content to keep the service, or it would die out fast.

Well Sony has just bought Bungie to get help and support in their 10 GAAS games they have in development.... And they arnt even pushing their gamepass service.... So I would be more worried about Sony than MS about that.

GAAS games seem to be netting the most profit at the moment which is why Sony is chasing them. You have 2 options... Enjoy your 10 GAAS games or enjoy your variety of games across a variety of genres including single player games, that were able to be funded by the money generated from subscription services.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

But what you're saying is almost entirely directly contradicted by most of MS's currently in development projects. They have invested/bought studios which specialize in making single player games, Hellblade 2, Starfield, Avowed, Outer Worlds 2, Fable, STALKER 2 etc are all games either part of MS's studio or which MS have paid for time exclusivity. They are all entirely single player focused games.

The entire premise of this thread is a concern over a hypothetical scenario you have when the current development lineup points more to the contrary.

As others have already pointed out many-a-times, we probably have a lot more single player focused games on Game Pass, whether they're AAA or Indie, compared to games which lean towards any kind of GaaS and as L lastmessiah stated a few posts above, GaaS games absolutely do not need a subscription service to be their own thing anyway.

GaaS and subscription services have no direct correlation whatsoever.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Microsoft's hopes are that eventually it is a no brainer for all gamers to get Game Pass. It already is for many of us, but once the big games come out almost monthly, if will be for 90% of gamers. You even have PS fanboys jumping in and Starfield, Avowed, CoD, Diablo 4, etc aren't even out yet. Once you have 80 million paying 10-15 bucks a month, you have a juggernaut of a service. I see why smaller devs are worried. Who will buy their games when you can just pay a small amount to have AAA games year round?

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
That is not how business works. MS would be foolish to do, what you are suggesting. They will be throwing away, a service which would make alot of banks for a long time. Not to mention, you need constant content to keep the service, or it would die out fast.
They're not throwing away anything. Once/if Gamepass type services become standardised, that will be the norm moving forward just like the f2p/microtransaction model has become the norm with cell phone gaming. They'll still make money and people will will accept it as the new standard to play console games.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Microsoft's hopes are that eventually it is a no brainer for all gamers to get Game Pass. It already is for many of us, but once the big games come out almost monthly, if will be for 90% of gamers. You even have PS fanboys jumping in and Starfield, Avowed, CoD, Diablo 4, etc aren't even out yet. Once you have 80 million paying 10-15 bucks a month, you have a juggernaut of a service. I see why smaller devs are worried. Who will buy their games when you can just pay a small amount to have AAA games year round?
Look at the state of AAA gaming though. The games are becoming fewer and far between, most of them are starting to implement GaaS and micro transactions, and the level of quality has generally been down. I expect the downward trajectory to continue. Gamepass type services will rapidly expedite it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where is the evidence that Gamepass type services are "the future" moving forward?
The evidence is Microsoft did it, so it must be the future.....right?

kingfey

Banned
They're not throwing away anything. Once/if Gamepass type services become standardised, that will be the norm moving forward just like the f2p/microtransaction model has become the norm with cell phone gaming. They'll still make money and people will will accept it as the new standard to play console games.
MTX is the gaming industry now. Sony is moving toward that market, and bought bungie, which has mtx game.

Any MP game would have these mtx. Even Sony 1st party games MP mode has those mtx. Its not subscription model service.

People who sub to gamepass want SP games. Which MS has in the works, or partner with 3rd party. If they stop that, people will leave the service.

Edit: Look at COD mtx generated money.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Look at the state of AAA gaming though. The games are becoming fewer and far between, most of them are starting to implement GaaS and micro transactions, and the level of quality has generally been down. I expect the downward trajectory to continue. Gamepass type services will rapidly expedite it.

GaaS and MTX will expand exponentially regardless of subscription services.

When a thorough bread Japanese studio like Platinum vows to head in that direction, you know its inevitable anyway.
The evidence is Microsoft did it, so it must be the future.....right?

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Bro GaaS has no place on a service like game pass.

They have their own client.

I don't think you know what GaaS means.

Lol why is it bad the service is appealing and good for the consumer?

Why would the popularity of game pass affect the quality of games?

Why are these hardcore fanboys seeing everything in absolutes?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
MTX is the gaming industry now. Sony is moving toward that market, and bought bungie, which has mtx game.

Any MP game would have these mtx. Even Sony 1st party games MP mode has those mtx. Its not subscription model service.

People who sub to gamepass want SP games. Which MS has in the works, or partner with 3rd party. If they stop that, people will leave the service.
Some people may leave the service, but there will be more than enough people to compensate if it becomes standardised and the new norm. Take one look at the state of cell phone gaming and tell me otherwise. This is what consolidation looks like.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Spartacus is a rumour, and even if it does truly exist we don't actually know what it is.
People are just assuming it's catalogue rental service like Gamepass despite the details pointing to something somewhat different.
It maybe, it may not be.
But at the moment it's nothing more then a rumour with assumptions.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Some people may leave the service, but there will be more than enough people to compensate if it becomes standardised and the new norm. Take one look at the state of cell phone gaming and tell me otherwise. This is what consolidation looks like.
You do not want people to eave your subscription service, as that would mean losing monthly payments. Companies would do anything to keep these users.
Mobile industry is big, unlike consoles. Anyone can make games. You can make your own game. Which means tons of crap in the mobile market.

ZehDon

Buying an xbox back then gave access to a lot of UNIQUE games and third party games and they didn't manage to convince 100m people, so I doubt a service that doesn't have 100% of the console's games will do it. No. I meant ps4.
This statement doesn't really make sense. When is "back then"? Game Pass will have every console exclusive title, as well as a huge amount of non-exclusive games. Game Pass has a massive amount of unique titles available on it. In fact, it's got more unique titles than competing platforms. I explained the limiting factor to 100m in my previous post - this isn't it.

Those games are made to cater to them. These are not. You understand why console gamers hate mobile games, right? Or why Moms don't care about Halo or Fortnite and prefer Candy Crush. Gamepass is already out on mobile, right?
Those games aren't made to cater to them. Did you even read my post? They're console games with mobile controls laid on top and they conquered the platform. This is what Game Pass does for every game - the latest Call of Duty, on your existing iPhone, with mappable controls. I don't really think you have a point here. "Mum's don't like Halo!" isn't really an argument - there are plenty of people who don't like Halo, which is why Game Pass has games other than Halo?

Yeah. I get it, but still don't believe in it.
Then you're not really here to discuss anything, are you?

Eh. Millions will still play only battle royale and annual franchises lol. Look at your friend list. My casuals friends are like that. Play 1-2 game per year. Doesn't matter how many genres Gamepass has. They don't care. The same thing can be applied to mobile "casual" gamers that only play 1-2 games on their phones.
No one on my friends list plays BRs and annual franchises? What a dumb statement. BRs are on Xbox as F2P titles, they don't need Game Pass for those. Those annual franchises are now on Game Pass, and it'll be cheaper in the long run. What exactly is your point here? Previously you said casuals can't afford consoles, now they have so much disposable income that they can buy a console just to play two games on it? For that money they can get a Game Pass subscription? What's your point exactly?

This is the only one I agree with, because I forgot EA play was included. Hmm. Maybe that's why Madden and Fifa turned out to be even worst this year? Because they were on Gamepass? I wouldn't want that.
This may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen someone write on this forum. Not only did you not read my post correctly, your bias is absolutely blinding. Madden and Fifa's legacy titles are on Game Pass - not their current yearly title. "They were bad this year because they were on Game Pass!" - well, sorry friend, they're not on Game Pass.
After this kind of dumb-fuckery, and reading through your massive amounts of posts in this thread, I won't bother replying again. Best of luck, friend.

Top Bottom