• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where should Grand Theft Auto 6 be located?

Next location for Grand Theft Auto 6?

• Toronto / Canada

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • California

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Britain/Scotland/UK

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • Texas

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Hawaii

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Tokyo / Japan

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Brazil

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Florida

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • Some other less important place.

Votes: 17 12.6%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
The game is obviously being worked on and will probably be released when Rockstar feels like it, but do you want a new setting or the old?

Toronto/Canada?
nCWc55n.jpg

California (again?)
RezX3KG.jpg

New York?
w4ligZO.jpg

Back to Britain/UK/Scotland?
d5doC0H.jpg

Texas?

IeGiAzQ.jpg

Hawaii?
elt604m.jpg

Japan?
7f4NVFi.jpg

Brazil?
3GND0Ss.jpg

South Africa?
sfq2bg5.jpg

Or just plain old Florida?

nla6xl1.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to include GTA 5 as a joke option but eh, developing a new game must take 10 years so they had to have gotten started back in 2015 or earlier.
We need a wishful thinking rating.

Sleepwalker

GTA 6 is not coming. GTA 5 is their GaaS setup. They didn't even have to develop a GaaS game, just took a 360/ps3 game and turned it into one. Genius.

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

The GTA universe's version of Chicago in the present day, or Las Venturas in the '70s... Maybe go back to Vice City, but I'm not sure if I want the '80s again. Come to think of it I don't know if I want the '70s either since they'll probably go digging around for a bunch of obscure songs to put in the soundtrack, which would kinda suck imo, because I doubt they'll wanna fork over the cash for Michael Jackson songs this time around or hits from any other major artist from these time periods. Because it seems like they've been looking in the bargain bin when it comes to music choices since GTA IV, for the most part. But they likely won't set another game in the past again anyway because I have a feeling they realize that a big chunk of the player base won't be happy with a GTA without all the modern day shit they've gotten used to since IV. Imagine having to use payphones again and no ridiculous super cars and a bunch of other borderline Saint Row level nonsense they've added to GTA V over the years. But whatever, just keep it in the USA. South Africa? Canada? Scotland?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

Well the series is made by British developers and it did take place in the UK early on.

DqGSS0u.jpg

It was the later games that went the U.S centric route only.
Yeah I'm well aware they're British and GTA London exists, but I just don't find that setting very interesting. There's always that upcoming Watchdogs game if you want London.

Woggleman

I think it's too early to do NYC again but they missed the chance to do late 70s in that city. It could have had that Taxi Driver vibe and New York was at it's grimiest and most dangerous back then which would be a perfect setting for a GTA.

Not bad, I think I'd rather 70's - 90's though. But agreed on NYC.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind 70s-90s either. I was thinking what a Rockstar take on Goodfellas would be like, something like that and the music of that period such as Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Rolling Stones and so on.

GTA will always be set in the USA (i know there was London, but it wasn't canon. It wasn't even a parody of London, it was literally called London). So forget Brazil, Japan or any other non American city. Besides, radio stations / billboards etc would lose all impact if they weren't in english.

EDMIX

Yeah I'm well aware they're British and GTA London exists, but I just don't find that setting very interesting. There's always that upcoming Watchdogs game if you want London.

To be honest, it depends on how its done. UK has their own thing going on with drugs and gangs that easily can be used in a GTA. Look at Top Boy.

Orthodox Gaming Dad Orthodox Gaming Dad "GTA will always be set in the USA" nah, that sounds waaaaaay too absolute. For all you know they already have on planned for the UK.

1275465.jpg

That being said, I'm also 100% ok with present day Chicago as that entire drug war would be a massively missed opportunity for them to not actually have as a main line GTA game.

Last edited:

Yoda

Well the series is made by British developers and it did take place in the UK early on.

DqGSS0u.jpg

It was the later games that went the U.S centric route only.

That was an expansion pack to GTA 1, which took place in the U.S. (LC, VC and SA).

As for GTA 6, I'd guess Vice City. Doing anything current event is a minefield so present day is off the table. Vice City is the only area from the 3D universion (GTA 3, VC, SA) that hasn't been revisited in the HD universion (GTA4, 5). Given the collosal budgets of Rockstar games, the suits surely will want something that's guaranteed to be successful.

By successful I mean GTA Rockstar successful, so the best selling entertainment product of all time :).

Last edited:
To be honest, it depends on how its done. UK has their own thing going on with drugs and gangs that easily can be used in a GTA. Look at Top Boy.

Orthodox Gaming Dad Orthodox Gaming Dad "GTA will always be set in the USA" nah, that sounds waaaaaay too absolute. For all you know they already have on planned for the UK.

1275465.jpg

That being said, I'm also 100% ok with present day Chicago as that entire drug war would be a massively missed opportunity for them to not actually have as a main line GTA game.

If you read the book Jacked by David Kushner, there is an interview in there with the Housers where he asks about where they see GTA going (geographically) and they say "...GTA is a satire on American culture and will continue to be just that..."

Granted that could mean that they make commentary on American culture globally, however the conversation seemed to be focused specifically on geographic setting. And, noted Rockstar is now down 1 Houser bother, so this could change. But i doubt it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's going to be a new rendition of Vice City. But I also think that's where it should be set so as to join Liberty City and Los Santos in the HD universe.

Otherwise, 1970's America would also be interesting to see, in my opinion.

1970s New York was fucking insane. The mafia ran the place until the FBI took them down in the 80s.

It wasn’t just mafia craziness though.. Son of Sam, race riots, drugs.... all sorts of mayhem. It would be great for this kind of game world.

JordanN

Banned
Start in Russia, end in Florida.
Oh man, I completely forgot about Russia.

I'll admit, I think Eastern Europe deserves the spotlight more. They could literally make a game centered around Chernobyl and there would be a wealth of things to do.

g3DgisP.jpg

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
If you read the book Jacked by David Kushner, there is an interview in there with the Housers where he asks about where they see GTA going (geographically) and they say "...GTA is a satire on American culture and will continue to be just that..."

Granted that could mean that they make commentary on American culture globally, however the conversation seemed to be focused specifically on geographic setting. And, noted Rockstar is now down 1 Houser bother, so this could change. But i doubt it.
GTA in America is rote at this point though. 4 and 5 suffered from taking themselves way too seriously. You can point to sales to support the fact that they didn't financially suffer, but those two games certainly lacked the magic of III, VC and SA imho. I really hope they mix up the formula and set the game outside of USA. It's been done to death at this point.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

I like UK. Pretty sure they can do it better than WD Legion.

What if HK,Macau and Taipei in same game (if include Shenzen would be nice)?

Reactions: MrS

Aion002

In the USA.

They can make connections and easter eggs with older characters/places more fluid.

I lke those things.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You know what? I want a GTA in space. It's never been done before and imagine how wild it would be with alien gangs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Washington, D.C.
I do think it would be pretty cool to get into a shootout or car chase near the White House or at the Lincoln Memorial in a GTA game.

In Hitman: Blood Money, you could walk all around the interior and exterior of the White House. More games should have interesting locations like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom