• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Franchise should have its BotW-moment next?

You get to choose your favorite franchises to experience their 'BotW moment' - what's gonna happen?

The idea is to pick franchises you like, but feel they haven't been allowed to show their real potential yet. Even if you don't like BotW, you get the gist. So tell us what franchise you'd pick and in what ways you'd hope to see it change!

My first pick: Star Fox

I love the Star Fox-franchise, but everything after Adventures felt so ... cheap, so same-y, it's a tragedy, really. In 2020, you can't just make an arcade shooter and expect it to sell millions for 60 bucks. It's not gonna happen. And it's not what I want anyway.

My BotW-moment for Star Fox would be a 'Star Fox: Binary Domain'. Binary Domain is imo the best, most fun 3rd-person shooter with the most satisfying hit-feedback - shooting robots to pieces felt so good. That's something Star Fox needs. Assault's shooting felt so cheap, your character was kinda floating above the floor, no weight at all. A SF-game with weighty characters and good hit-feedback would be fantastic. Plus you could add the voice-commands from BD, both for fun communication with team mates, but also to bring some non-linearity (replay value!) into the mix. Then just add arwing-missions in there, maybe seamlessly for a bigger wow!-effect. Et voila, Star Fox is back!

Fighting your way through various locations, Slippy, Falco and Krystal at your side. Lots of entertaining banter, plus plenty of flirting the blue thing. Perfect Star Fox-game.

rubhen925

Making a set franchise open world is not the way, and not to the scale of BoTW, just no. Can you imagine endlessly roaming an open world in Sonic? Open world games are literally plaguing every genre. Maybe its time to dial back and focus on more controlled experiences with solid gameplay and mechanics. But hey, thats just me

Making a set franchise open world is not the way, and not to the scale of BoTW, just no. Can you imagine endlessly roaming an open world in Sonic? Open world games are literally plaguing every genre. Maybe its time to dial back and focus on more controlled experiences with solid gameplay and mechanics. But hey, thats just me

BotW-moment doesn't mean to go open world. It means to unleash a franchise's potential and improve dramatically.

Zannegan

Yep. Pokemon. I'd go so far as to say they should just take BoTW's engine and repurpose it to play a traditional Pokemon game (only with mons visible in the overworld).
If that's too radical for diehards, well, can we at least have a Pokemon Snap built that way?

As for Star Fox, it needs to go more Mass Effect 1 than Binary Domain, IMO, but something with ME's scale, freedom, and mixed vehicle and on-foot combat AND BD's weighty gunplay and damage-responsiveness would be the dream. I wonder if you can translate that limb-specific damage concept to ship combat too.

Top Bottom