• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game, Gaffers?

Which should I pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, I'm thinking of buying one of these games but I can't make up my mind and so I thought I'd ask you guys and see what you all thought.

I don't want to waste money or have to start refunding a game only to find out it doesn't get going until a few hours in.

I've read a lot of steam reviews and watched You Tube video, as well a read threads on here, and all three have had positive reviews.

I'm having to use my older computer which has a 2060, i5 10400f, 16 GB RAM, playing at 1440p, so performance is obviously something I need to take into consideration.

That being said, I'd welcome any input and feedback on why you think one is better etc...

Cheers, Gaffers.

Would suggest you get all but since that isn't the case then Elden Ring is the best option imo.
I'd like to get all, and I probably will at some point.

It's just a case of time constrains, a big backlog, and financially I have a lot of commitments and I can't always spend hundreds on games.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I voted Hogwarts because I think it has the broadest appeal and is the deepest of the three choices. Plenty of combat, exploration, voice-acted quest-driven content, gear looting, etc, etc.

Elden Ring is great and all but the storytelling is buried and it kind grinds to a halt early on if the player isn't totally into the whole sadomasochistic approach too many Japanese developers take these days - which From turned up to 50/10 with their games (and before anyone gets emotional, I think it was game of year last year).

So here in 2023, def Hogwarts. If you need an undue challenge put it on hard and needlessly spam attacks on the advent bullet sponge enemies. If you want to have fun, keep it on normal.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Octopath Traveler 2.

Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF
motivational just do it GIF

I voted Hogwarts because I think it has the broadest appeal and is the deepest of the three choices. Plenty of combat, exploration, voice-acted quest-driven content, gear looting, etc, etc.

Elden Ring is great and all but the storytelling is buried and it kind grinds to a halt early on if the player isn't totally into the whole sadomasochistic approach too many Japanese developers take these days - which From turned up to 50/10 with their games (and before anyone gets emotional, I think it was game of year last year).

So here in 2023, def Hogwarts. If you need an undo challenge put it on hard and needlessly spam attacks on the advent bullet sponge enemies. If you want to have fun, keep it on normal.
Cheers, burger.

I am edging slightly towards Hogwarts or Dead Space at the moment, though I've already played Dead Space before so I'm just wondering whether the remake offers enough to warrant another playthrough over a unique experience.

Dead Space for me , I'm a horror fan , Bloodborne kind of tired me from souls games because of that i don't feel like jumping in Elden ring even i lf i have it and well i like what i see from Hogwarts I'm not a Harry Potter fan.

Hogwarts is the best game but on that PC it might not perform well. 16GB ain't much and a 2060 will struggle unless maybe you play at 1080p.

Elden Ring is the best choice but it's not the easiest game to get into. If you've played other FS games then nevermind. Elden Ring is a 100+ hour game if you try do everything

You could get Hogwarts and see how it runs but maybe wait until you upgrade or get a console. It's easier to get into, more fun, and the world is more exciting to explore. It's shorter too but you can get 50-100 hours easily.

Last edited:
Dead Space for me , I'm a horror fan , Bloodborne kind of tired me from souls games because of that i don't feel like jumping in Elden ring even i lf i have it and well i like what i see from Hogwarts I'm not a Harry Potter fan.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree.

My only concern is I've already played Dead Space and I can't decide if the visual upgrade is enough to jump in again at full retail over something I've never played before...do you know what I mean?

Hogwarts is the best game but on that PC it might not perform well. 16GB ain't much and a 2060 will struggle unless maybe you play at 1080p.

Elden Ring is the best choice. Play Hogwarts when you upgrade your PC or get a console.
I've got a ps5, so there's that option.

I only play at 1440, so I would probably have to enable DLSS (if it's in the game?).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree.

My only concern is I've already played Dead Space and I can't decide if the visual upgrade is enough to jump in again at full retail over something I've never played before...do you know what I mean?
Yeah for sure! If Dead space OG is too fresh in your mind you might as well go for something else , I'm playing both Calisto and DS , i don't see why their was so much hate towards Calisto , easily a 9/10 game.

I've got a ps5, so there's that option.

I only play at 1440, so I would probably have to enable DLSS (if it's in the game?).
Well, there's your answer. Get it on PS5.

I only play at 1440p too and I have 32GB and a 4080. I need to enable DLSS 3 with frame generation to stay above 60fps but that is with all settings maxed out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah for sure! If Dead space OG is too fresh in your mind you might as well go for something else , I'm playing both Calisto and DS , i don't see why their was so much hate towards Calisto , easily a 9/10 game.
I hadn't really considered Callisto Protocol because it seemed like an inferior Dead Space, and with the remake on the horizon I saw no point getting it.

Well, there's your answer. Get it on PS5.

I only play at 1440p too and I have 32GB and a 4080. I need to enable DLSS 3 with frame generation to stay above 60fps but that is with all settings maxed out :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Bloody hell, you need the most advanced version of DLSS to play at 1440-60 running on a 4080 with 32 RAM?

That's got to be everything on ultra and ray tracing enabled though, right?

Last edited:
I hadn't really considered Callisto Protocol because it seemed like an inferior Dead Space, and with the remake on the horizon I saw no point getting it.
Yeah it's not a inferior DS , it just does it's own thing , it's a bit more about melee then DS , wich makes it way more satisfying when you kill a enemie! Even getting killed is fun , it's brutal and gory , which i like.

Yeah it's not a inferior DS , it just does it's own thing , it's a bit more about melee then DS , wich makes it way more satisfying when you kill a enemie! Even getting killed is fun , it's brutal and gory , which i like.
No, I know, I don't think it's inferior, it's just that was my perception at release.

Nautilus

Banned
It is an inferior Dead Space.Still a good game on its own right, but the Dead Space is far better on every regard(Outside of maybe raw graphics).

Elder Rings is great despite its flaws and definitely you'll get a good hundred hours of running past enemies on your horse on your way to clearing the map of points of interest and collecting ashes and spells that you will never use. Dead Space remake is very good too but it's also a game you'll probably play through once and then forget about

Elder Rings is great despite its flaws and definitely you'll get a good hundred hours of running past enemies on your horse on your way to clearing the map of points of interest and collecting ashes and spells that you will never use. Dead Space remake is very good too but it's also a game you'll probably play through once and then forget about
That's a good point.

Dead Space doesn't have much replay value, whereas the other two have the much more freeing open world don't they?

That's a good point.

Dead Space doesn't have much replay value, whereas the other two have the much more freeing open world don't they?
Well I don't know about Hogwarts, but at least on your first playthrough the process of exploring the world in ER is as phenomenal as it is time-consuming.

Oh yeah, one thing I'll say about Dead Space as well is that the PC version has some serious slowdown at points. Not the traversal stutter but a more severe slowdown. I think it was something to do with VRAM getting loaded in certain scenes or something based off the DF video... It may be worse with a lower end card. I have a 4070 Ti and it was rare but sucked when it happened.

Probably pales in comparison to the technical state of Callisto Protocol though which is apparently horrible on PC, especially with ray-tracing. I hope to play it myself some time but I'd like them to fix it first

Nautilus

Banned
Callisto Protocol does look fantastic, I'll agree on that.

I just heard that it wasn't that good gameplay mechanics wise.
It has good ideas, they are simply undercooked.You can very easily exploit the mechanics, the pulse levitation is wayyyyy too strong, the story is weak, to put it midly, there are only 5 guns, of which only 2 are unique and the rest are generic variations of it, and so on.

Again, still a good game for a survival horror fan, but it pales in comparison to the Dead Space Remake.

Well I don't know about Hogwarts, but at least on your first playthrough the process of exploring the world in ER is as phenomenal as it is time-consuming.

Oh yeah, one thing I'll say about Dead Space as well is that the PC version has some serious slowdown at points. Not the traversal stutter but a more severe slowdown. I think it was something to do with VRAM getting loaded in certain scenes or something based off the DF video... It may be worse with a lower end card. I have a 4070 Ti and it was rare but sucked when it happened.

Probably pales in comparison to the technical state of Callisto Protocol though which is apparently horrible on PC, especially with ray-tracing. I hope to play it myself some time but I'd like them to fix it first
Doesn't Elden Ring have some issues on pc?

Some stuff about top tier GPU struggling to maintain 60fps?

Top Bottom