• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling all AM5 and/or AM5 X3D owners - how is the stability and owners experience in 2024?

How stable has your AM5 PC been?

• Had a few issues here and there, overall a negative experience (please specify issues in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Big regrets, returned my parts/build

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GHG

I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands, getting a new Motherboard/CPU/Ram combo and was all set to go AM5 with a 7800X3D, but there's no shortage of people saying it's a shitshow in the reviews for AM5 motherboards and ram in particular.

I know there were a few issues last year with Asus motherboards in particular but I'd like to know what the current situation is from owners here before deciding what to do.

If you own an AM5 build what's your experience like at the moment? What are your boot times like and have you had any issues with Expo/RAM?

If your experience has been positive I'd be particularly interested in knowing what specific motherboard and ram you have.

Cheers.

StereoVsn

I have a 7800x3D with one of the ASUS boards that wasn’t running RAM at proper specs last year.

ASUS and AMD so far seemed to patch things up and my build has been very stable for several months now. I am running 32GB at 6000mhz with no issues.

Note that if you want more than 32GB, it appears that best bet is to go with 2x32GB sticks vs 4 as it seems sometimes there are stability issues with the latter.

All that said, it’s been pretty good overall. Chip doesn’t really go over 70-75 Celsius on full load, although I do have a 360mm cooler, and power draw is great compared to Intel.

Astray

Gold Member
I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands, getting a new Motherboard/CPU/Ram combo and was all set to go AM5 with a 7800X3D, but there's no shortage of people saying it's a shitshow in the reviews for AM5 motherboards and ram in particular.

I know there were a few issues last year with Asus motherboards in particular but I'd like to know what the current situation is from owners here before deciding what to do.

If you own an AM5 build what's your experience like at the moment? What are your boot times like and have you had any issues with Expo/RAM?

If your experience has been positive I'd be particularly interested in knowing what specific motherboard and ram you have.

Cheers.
Built an AM5 PC for my brother, but I couldn't get the DOCC thing going with RAM (Basically Expo/XMP), whenever I'd enable it the PC simply won't boot into windows. This is using RAM that was vetted via the QVL list.

Other than that there aren't any major issues. Your best bet would probably be to avoid buying any ram above 5200 or whatever it is that AMD is guaranteeing on their cpu specs page.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I'm in the same boat. Looking at that exact upgrade. My 3080 is still going strong but my CPU/ram/mobo is about six years old at this point.

My primary build isn't as sold but this is for a different build that will be my new primary and house my 4090.

The more I read the more tempted I am to say fuck it go Intel with a 14700k build.

I have a 7800x3D with one of the ASUS boards that wasn’t running RAM at proper specs last year.

ASUS and AMD so far seemed to patch things up and my build has been very stable for several months now. I am running 32GB at 6000mhz with no issues.

Note that if you want more than 32GB, it appears that best bet is to go with 2x32GB sticks vs 4 as it seems sometimes there are stability issues with the latter.

All that said, it’s been pretty good overall. Chip doesn’t really go over 70-75 Celsius on full load, although I do have a 360mm cooler, and power draw is great compared to Intel.

What brand of RAM (if you know, along with out the box timings) and motherboard model do you have?

Last edited:

Thyuda

Absolutely perfect, just get 6400 RAM with CL30 or 32 and call it a day.

I'm on 6000 CL 32, no issues at all.

• Praise the Sun

Needlecrash

Cheers.
I have a 4090, 7800x3d and a Taichi Lite B650 Motherboard. I had a few MINOR issues from the motherboard itself (buggy BIOS) and BSOD's (Driver issues). But overall, it's pretty solid. I love it. I used 64gb of RAM @ 6000mhz.

• Praise the Sun

GHG

Built an AM5 PC for my brother, but I couldn't get the DOCC thing going with RAM (Basically Expo/XMP), whenever I'd enable it the PC simply won't boot into windows. This is using RAM that was vetted via the QVL list.

Other than that there aren't any major issues. Your best bet would probably be to avoid buying any ram above 5200 or whatever it is that AMD is guaranteeing on their cpu specs page.

It's 6000mhz that AMD don't recommend going above for the X3D chips, something to do with the CPU voltage required to run higher ram speeds if I understand correctly.

What ram speeds are you running your brothers PC at in order to keep it functional?

Absolutely perfect, just get 6400 RAM with CL30 or 32 and call it a day.

I'm on 6000 CL 32, no issues at all.

Do you happen to know what brand of ram you have?

StereoVsn

My primary build isn't as sold but this is for a different build that will be my new primary and house my 4090.

The more I read the more tempted I am to say fuck it go Intel with a 14700k build.

What brand of RAM (if you know, along with out the box timings) and motherboard model do you have?
RAM is G.Skill CL32 I think and ASUS board was 670 series but would need to look up exact model (Gaming WiFi or something). Board was pricey at about $375 on sale from what I remember.

Not at home right now but will look up the hardware later today.

• Strength

Atrus

Gold Member
I have a 7800X3D in an Asus X670e-e extreme with G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB at 6000 CL30. Haven’t had an issue but I did wait until they updated the bios since I bought it pretty early last year.

Just avoid the Asus armoury crate malware.

Last edited:

GHG

I have a 4090, 7800x3d and a Taichi Lite B650 Motherboard. I had a few MINOR issues from the motherboard itself (buggy BIOS) and BSOD's (Driver issues). But overall, it's pretty solid. I love it. I used 64gb of RAM @ 6000mhz.

I'm looking at the X670 taichi as I need more than one thunderbolt port.

At 64gb I'm assuming you have the gskill CL30 kit? Or do you have something different?

Also, regarding the BSODs etc, what was the cause of them? I need something rock solid as I'll also use this PC for work so need an indication of how bad things really are.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Built a 7700X this time last year with Asus motherboard. Worst experience I ever had. EXPO would crash the PC, never ran stable. The original Corsair Vengeance sticks straight up did not work with the mobo. Replaced with dominators and had to up the voltage to get it running stable with EXPO. Had a few occasions where the Mobo would randomly not boot. Was a complete shitshow.

Astray

Gold Member
It's 6000mhz that AMD don't recommend going above for the X3D chips, something to do with the CPU voltage required to run higher ram speeds if I understand correctly.

What ram speeds are you running your brothers PC at in order to keep it functional?
I'd need to double check, but the ram was indeed 6000mhz.

There was a video I consulted back then but I can't find it now. Will probably look for it 2moro.

• Strength

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stability is top drawer. Been very impressed with the Asus B650E-i and Ryzen 7 7700. Boot times around 12 seconds.

Last edited:

GHG

Anyone have experience with the Asus x670e creator?

It's only that and the x670e Asrock Taichi that I'm considering. If neither are any good then I have no choice but to go Intel.

FingerBang

I had my first 7950x3D and Asus Crosshair Hero die on me a few months ago, for the known voltage issue that starter happening last year.

Apart from that, before the accident and after the system has been stable AF.

Astray

Gold Member
Anyone have experience with the Asus x670e creator?

It's only that and the x670e Asrock Taichi that I'm considering. If neither are any good then I have no choice but to go Intel.
PC Part picker is your friend here imo.

Though from what i read it's a cpu lottery thing and has nothijg to do with the mobo as most x670es are well-built.

• Thoughtful

Elitro

I'm running a 7900 since last year. Had to update the bios to run the RAM at 6000mhz. So far 0 issues.

twilo99

I'm not fucking around on reddit.

You are looking for data aren’t you? No need to participate obviously..

Am5 is fine, you have nothing to worry about, just get a board that has a good track record with AMD in terms of bios support like MSI and you’ll be fine. Don’t worry about the memory the new chips aren’t all that sensitive to it when it comes to performance anyway.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
100% happy with my 7800x3D. Running 64GB of 6000 ram.

The only nitpick I have is that about 1x per month it has to "retrain" the RAM to run at the correct speed and then it takes about 60-120 seconds to post and boot. The first time it scared the shit out of me but after I figured what happened now its a small annoyance.

I havent compared energy use but I can say that my CPU fan doest spin up nearly as much as it did before.

Highly recommended!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I had similar thoughts as you OP. When I started building PCs I used Athlon 64’s exclusively but then when the Core 2 architecture came out I switched to Intel and have been here ever since.

The X3D cpus look very attractive due to both performance and heat output (I like to air cool) but I’ve also heard so many horror stories and stability is super important to me.

Personally, at this point I’m just going to wait for the 15th gen Intel CPUs and hope they finally get their heat issues under control (along with hopefully more pcie 5.0 lanes and no contact frame needed).

Last edited:

Thyuda

Do you happen to know what brand of ram you have?
Corsair DDR5, 6000MT/s 32GB 2x16GB DIMM, Unbuffered, 36-38-38-76, Std PMIC, XMP 3.0, VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 White

Sorry, I lied, it's a bit slower, just CL 36 instead of 32, but the real world difference is minute and it runs perfectly!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
the only issue I deal with with my undervolted 7800X3D is somewhat random temperature spikes and CPU utilization.

Battle.net updates are the worst at causing this.

Thyuda

the only issue I deal with with my undervolted 7800X3D is somewhat random temperature spikes and CPU utilization.

Battle.net updates are the worst at causing this.
I feel like most modern CPUs deal with that issue.
That's why I use Fancontrol and coupled my case fans to CPU temp with a 10% offset. No more random fan howling because of a 3 second spike, and the CPU is still very cool under full load.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm looking at the X670 taichi as I need more than one thunderbolt port.

At 64gb I'm assuming you have the gskill CL30 kit? Or do you have something different?

Also, regarding the BSODs etc, what was the cause of them? I need something rock solid as I'll also use this PC for work so need an indication of how bad things really are.
That board is considered quite solid. if I were rebuilding my system I would likely consider that board.

I think you will be fine with an AMD build. It will draw far less power, be easier to cool and most importantly perform better (and sometimes drastically) in gaming.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have a 7800X3D, and a MSI mag b650 + corsair DDR5 ram 6000mhz cl36.

0 issues now in months aside from my motherboard being DOA but amazon replaced it for a new one and all good since.

The build also has a 4080 and a 850w PSU. No issues with power draw or spikes.

Last edited:

GHG

I had similar thoughts as you OP. When I started building PCs I used Athlon 64’s exclusively but then when the Core 2 architecture came out I switched to Intel and have been here ever since.

The X3D cpus look very attractive due to both performance and heat output (I like to air cool) but I’ve also heard so many horror stories and stability is super important to me.

Personally, at this point I’m just going to wait for the 15th gen Intel CPUs and hope they finally get their heat issues under control (along with hopefully more pcie 5.0 lanes and no contact frame needed).

Are you currently on intel 13th or 14th gen?

The thing that's giving me the big pause there are the widely reported heat issues with the 14700k (which is what I'd go for) and up. I'm seeing people saying their chips are running at 100 degrees C when pushed. I don't care whether or not Intel claim that's "safe" or not, I don't want any component in my PC running that hot. Don't really care about power or anything else, it doesn't add up enough over the course of the year to be anything to worry about.

I'm just after something that is stable, has DDR5 (will be going for 64GB), more thunderbolt ports and will get the most out of my 4090.

7950x3d Asus x670e mobo 4 sticks of 16gb @ 6000mhz no problem at all.

This is interesting. Are they actually running at those speeds? Everything I've read and seen suggests 4 sticks of ram is a massive no-no on AM5 and you will have to make compromises.

OverHeat

« generous god »

The thing that's giving me the big pause there are the widely reported heat issues with the 14700k (which is what I'd go for) and up. I'm seeing people saying their chips are running at 100 degrees C when pushed. I don't care whether or not Intel claim that's "safe" or not, I don't want any component in my PC running that hot. Don't really care about power or anything else, it doesn't add up enough over the course of the year to be anything to worry about.

I'm just after something that is stable, has DDR5 (will be going for 64GB), more thunderbolt ports and will get the most out of my 4090.

This is interesting. Are they actually running at those speeds? Everything I've read and seen suggests 4 sticks of ram is a massive no-no on AM5 and you will have to make compromises.
Yep running at advertise 6000 expo

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm still on a 10700k running 4.9ghz all core, since it came out in 2020. It still runs all my games fine but I just want to upgrade at this point lol.

StereoVsn

Got home and pulled up my hardware specs.

CPU: 7800x3D
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 (thought it was CL32, lol)
Motherboard: ASUS X670E-E ROG Strix Gaming WiFi
Cooler: Liam Li Galahad 360mm

I got this last year when Microcenter had some promotions so RAM was free and board was discounted.

All in all after that initial AM5 voltage scare, AMD and ASUS patched the motherboard up and it’s been a solid and stable system since. Note that I don’t mess around with CPU that much, undervolted just a bit basically, but it’s not a huge deal either way.

RAM is running at advertised speeds and I have no issues. I normally wouldn’t get RGB RAM, but it came with the bundle and can’t beat “free”.

• Strength

Thyuda

I'm still on a 10700k running 4.9ghz all core, since it came out in 2020. It still runs all my games fine but I just want to upgrade at this point lol.
I upgraded from a 11900k to a 7800x3d, just because I hated that damned Intel chip so much. Insane powerdraw, insane heat output, spotty performance.

It was from a prebuild and I will never understand why prebuilds for gaming ship with an i9.

What an awful awul chip.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If Im being honest, I get more instability with nvidia GPUs than I do with AMD CPUs.

AMD related issues are usually more severe when they happen.

OverHeat

« generous god »
1wDjmHe.jpg

• Fire
Asus B650E-F and 7950x3D owner here. Have 64GB G-Skill DDR5 6000 C30 RAM. My CPU got fried within the first few weeks back in March of last year right after buying the CPU and putting my machine together. There were literal scorch marks under the CPU and board pins. This was the EXPO SoC voltage blowing up my CPU, or so I thought.

RMA those parts and use a refurbished board with a brand new CPU from AMD. This time I had the "fixed" BIOS from day one. Same fucking problem happens again. System becomes unstable randomly crashing, and the memory controller was damaged again causing the system to fail to POST if making changes to the memory settings in the BIOS other than absolute stock. EXPO is out of the question.

RMA those parts for a 2nd time. Get back another brand new CPU from AMD and this time a brand new board from Asus because I put up a huge stink about buying a brand new board and having it get fried within 3 weeks, and replacing it with a refurb. Leave the pasts unopened for weeks as I contemplate selling them and walking away from this dumpster fire of a system, and also because I have a newborn baby I'm caring for so I don't really have the time, energy or care to work on my PC.

Finally decided to open them up and install them, thinking there's no fucking way I got 3 defective boards in a row, surely it can't happen again, right?

WRONG. 1.5 months later, same fucking problem happening again. Major system stability problems, corrupt files in Windows, random reboots, and toggling EXPO in the BIOS causes the system to fail to POST again. At this point I'm so fucking done with AMD and never want to give them another penny again. I knew I shouldn't switch sides but I was tempted by the 3D cache version of Zen 4 and the idea of having 16 cores which I could really use for productivity and still have a beast gaming rig. It's been nothing but a disaster and the worst purchase of my life.

Before anyone suggests it's my other components to blame eg power supply, RAM etc. I ran with an i7 7700k and Asus Maximus Z270 Hero for 6 years just fine. When my AMD parts died and had to be RMA, I slapped the old rig back in and ran it just fine for accumulatively months at a time in the between phases of dealing with this problem. My PSU is a super high end EVGA Titanium 850w. It's the fucking AMD parts and their garbage memory controller/SoC IO die problem. It's still happening, if you run your RAM hard. I'm utterly disappointed in this system and if I could go back in time and never buy it I would in a heartbeat.

7800X3D, Asus B650E-F, G.Skill 32 GB 6000MT/s CL30, 4070 Super. No stability issues at all but the boot times of 30-60 seconds can be annoying when EXPO is enabled.

One game had crashes (Hogwarts Legacy) but it stopped when I disabled frame gen so either Nvidia driver or game related bug.

GHG

Asus B650E-F and 7950x3D owner here. Have 64GB G-Skill DDR5 6000 C30 RAM. My CPU got fried within the first few weeks back in March of last year right after buying the CPU and putting my machine together. There were literal scorch marks under the CPU and board pins. This was the EXPO SoC voltage blowing up my CPU, or so I thought.

RMA those parts and use a refurbished board with a brand new CPU from AMD. This time I had the "fixed" BIOS from day one. Same fucking problem happens again. System becomes unstable randomly crashing, and the memory controller was damaged again causing the system to fail to POST if making changes to the memory settings in the BIOS other than absolute stock. EXPO is out of the question.

RMA those parts for a 2nd time. Get back another brand new CPU from AMD and this time a brand new board from Asus because I put up a huge stink about buying a brand new board and having it get fried within 3 weeks, and replacing it with a refurb. Leave the pasts unopened for weeks as I contemplate selling them and walking away from this dumpster fire of a system, and also because I have a newborn baby I'm caring for so I don't really have the time, energy or care to work on my PC.

Finally decided to open them up and install them, thinking there's no fucking way I got 3 defective boards in a row, surely it can't happen again, right?

WRONG. 1.5 months later, same fucking problem happening again. Major system stability problems, corrupt files in Windows, random reboots, and toggling EXPO in the BIOS causes the system to fail to POST again. At this point I'm so fucking done with AMD and never want to give them another penny again. I knew I shouldn't switch sides but I was tempted by the 3D cache version of Zen 4 and the idea of having 16 cores which I could really use for productivity and still have a beast gaming rig. It's been nothing but a disaster and the worst purchase of my life.

Before anyone suggests it's my other components to blame eg power supply, RAM etc. I ran with an i7 7700k and Asus Maximus Z270 Hero for 6 years just fine. When my AMD parts died and had to be RMA, I slapped the old rig back in and ran it just fine for accumulatively months at a time in the between phases of dealing with this problem. My PSU is a super high end EVGA Titanium 850w. It's the fucking AMD parts and their garbage memory controller/SoC IO die problem. It's still happening, if you run your RAM hard. I'm utterly disappointed in this system and if I could go back in time and never buy it I would in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the detailed rundown on your experience. Sounds awful in all honesty, hopefully things start to get better.

It's experiences like this that scare the shit out of me and have made me question whether or not to pull the trigger. I need reliability, it's probably the number one important thing for me with this build since it will also function as my work machine and I'll have 4 different displays running off it.

nikos

I have a 7800X3D. Never thought I'd go AMD but it makes more sense right now unless you wait until Intel's next socket.

Haven't had a single issue. Boot time is around 45 seconds, which is longer than my older system but not bad. You can cut the boot time significantly by toggling MCR ON in bios but I haven't bothered.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve been on AM5 since last Christmas, with a 7700X.

I did initially have an issue trying to run my memory at 6000 speed, but that was resolved with a Bios Update.

Everything’s been fine other than that.

Quixz

Cheers.
Built two identical 7800X3D rigs last year and not had any issues.

GIGABYTE Gaming X AX ver 1.0
GIGABYTE 4090
Corsair 6000Mhz 30-36-36-76 EXPO
Samsung 990 Pro
DeepCool LT720 360mm

We decided to finally leave Intel and not looked back.

• Strength

raul3d

100% happy with my 7800x3D. Running 64GB of 6000 ram.

The only nitpick I have is that about 1x per month it has to "retrain" the RAM to run at the correct speed and then it takes about 60-120 seconds to post and boot. The first time it scared the shit out of me but after I figured what happened now its a small annoyance.

I havent compared energy use but I can say that my CPU fan doest spin up nearly as much as it did before.

Highly recommended!
This is the issue I have as well, but my RAM is trained at every boot cycle. Did you activate anything special or are you putting your PC to sleep? I tried a hidden option to persist the trained results once, but this killed my BIOS and I had to reset it..

Otherwise no stability issues with a 7950x3D.

hinch7

I'd honestly wait a few more months for Zen 5 at this point.. unless you really need a PC right now. The IPC gains are supposedly and rumored to be quite substantial.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amazing CPU and stability I think they learned a lot from Sony and their stability updates. And I got a really high-end x670 board so I will actually be on this platform for a while. Kind of cool to be able to say that hopefully we'll get two or three generations of CPU support out of this thing. And for the first time in a while, I intend just to upgrade CPU and graphics card for the foreseeable future.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is the issue I have as well, but my RAM is trained at every boot cycle. Did you activate anything special or are you putting your PC to sleep? I tried a hidden option to persist the trained results once, but this killed my BIOS and I had to reset it..

Otherwise no stability issues with a 7950x3D.

I didnt. I run stock settings just the ram overclock xmp. I have an ASRock ITX bios. I always do a full shut down usually nightly.

Last edited:

GHG

I'd honestly wait a few more months for Zen 5 at this point.. unless you really need a PC right now. The IPC gains are supposedly and rumored to be quite substantial.

I need it now really tbh.

If the Zen 5 CPU's are an upgrade then I'll have access to that provided I go with AM5.

Puscifer

I run a 7600X // 32GB DDR5 @ 6000

Admittedly gigabyte wasn't stable but since about May last year the BIOS and stability has been rock solid. I run it in eco mode in my itx build and it's great stuff.

Top Bottom