• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game, Gaffers?

Which should I pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nautilus

Banned
Well I don't know about Hogwarts, but at least on your first playthrough the process of exploring the world in ER is as phenomenal as it is time-consuming.

Oh yeah, one thing I'll say about Dead Space as well is that the PC version has some serious slowdown at points. Not the traversal stutter but a more severe slowdown. I think it was something to do with VRAM getting loaded in certain scenes or something based off the DF video... It may be worse with a lower end card. I have a 4070 Ti and it was rare but sucked when it happened.

Probably pales in comparison to the technical state of Callisto Protocol though which is apparently horrible on PC, especially with ray-tracing. I hope to play it myself some time but I'd like them to fix it first
Most if not all problems With Callisto Protocol on PC have been fixed after 24 hours of its launch.

People really need to stop spreading this misinformation.

Ar¢tos

In terms of gameplay, I think you would get more for your money from Elden Ring, since you can make different builds (magic/str/dex/faith + combinations), while Hogwarts has less variety (magic + optional stealth approach).
But in the end it depends on how ready to die over and over you are.

In terms of gameplay, I think you would get more for your money from Elden Ring, since you can make different builds (magic/str/dex/faith + combinations), while Hogwarts has less variety (magic + optional stealth approach).
But in the end it depends on how ready to die over and over you are.
I don't have a problem with dying over and over if the difficulty is pitched right and it feels like I can actually learn and improve, rather than it always being frustrating and mostly luck...if that makes sense?

Beat what
iu

Double Take Idk GIF by Laff

Look, some of us now appreciate a woman with four arms. Please don’t judge us!
She could only have one hand with 3 fingers missing and still jerk you off.

Last edited:
Hello, sports fans, after an hour or so of voting, Elden Ring is the clear favourite taking over 70% of the votes.

Hogwarts is way behind and Dead Space seems to be completely out of the running.

It'll take something very special for Hogwarts Legacy to pull this one out of the bag, and a literal divinely ordained miracle for Dead Space to claim victory.

We'll be right back after this word from our sponsor.

Last edited:
If you know what Fromsoft games are and like their style at least a bit - Elden Ring, hands down.

Otherwise probably Hogwarts.
I have certainly had my experience with From and Souls games, some good and some not so good.

I enjoyed Demon Souls on ps5, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls, but didn't really get on with Sekiro and the later Dark Souls games.

Out of interest, are The Surge games considered part of the sun genre?

What about Hades?

Most if not all problems With Callisto Protocol on PC have been fixed after 24 hours of its launch.

People really need to stop spreading this misinformation.
Yes, they do.

They fixed the shader compilation issue for the most part. They did not fix the bad optimisation specifically on the CPU which makes ray-tracing unusable even on high-end parts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you like Souls gameplay and challenge? Then Elden Ring. Otherwise Hogwarts. Both are great open world RPGs.

Dead Space seems good too, but is obviously a completely different game.

Vick

Dead Space doesn't have much replay value, whereas the other two have the much more freeing open world don't they?
I did four Playthroughs one right after the other with this one.

Never happened before.

My only concern is I've already played Dead Space and I can't decide if the visual upgrade is enough to jump in again at full retail over something I've never played before...do you know what I mean?
It's 100% worth it imo. Not just a visual upgrade, it's akin to the Resident Evil GameCube Remake so completely reworked and almost entire different game at times. Structure itself went from linear to MetroidVania. It is essentially a free-roam game now.

I did four Playthroughs one right after the other with this one.

Never happened before.

It's 100% worth it imo. Not just a visual upgrade, it's akin to the Resident Evil GameCube Remake so completely reworked and almost entire different game at times. Structure itself went from linear to MetroidVania. It is essentially a free-roam game now.
So, it has more than just a graphical overhaul?

Nautilus

Banned
Yes, they do.

They fixed the shader compilation issue for the most part. They did not fix the bad optimisation specifically on the CPU which makes ray-tracing unusable even on high-end parts.
So, only Ray tracing is broken then? Not the resst of the game as you seemed to imply?

I don't even think the OP cares about Ray tracing, eo why not even bring it up? The game plays perfectly well without it.

Vick

So, it has more than just a graphical overhaul?
Absolutely yes.
Much smoother controls, new areas, side missions, completely different Zero-G sections, different weapons, improved storytelling (Isaac talks now, he's no longer a marionette taking orders left and right).. it's one hell of a Remake.

Besides, Elden Ring and Hogwarts already sold gangbusters, Dead Space Remake on the other hand could revive the entire series if EA sees there's interest. It's without a doubt the one most in need of a purchase.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like a challenge, yes, but I like a narrative too.

If you want a clear narrative with cutscenes, dialogue, etc, go with Hogwarts. Elden Ring mostly tells its narrative through item descriptions, environments, etc, there are pretty much no actual cutscenes etc.

As far as challenge goes, obviously ER has more of that. Hogwarts can be kinda challenging too, IF you play on Hard (but it's still nowhere near a Souls game). Normal is extremely easy.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't have a problem with dying over and over if the difficulty is pitched right and it feels like I can actually learn and improve, rather than it always being frustrating and mostly luck...if that makes sense?
It's typical "souls" formula, learn enemy attack patterns and timing your attacks, knowing what stats to level up and what gear to upgrade.

Absolutely yes.
Much smoother controls, new areas, side missions, completely different Zero-G sections, different weapons, improved storytelling (Isaac talks now, he's no longer a marionette taking orders left and right).. it's one hell of a Remake.

Besides, Elden Ring and Hogwarts already sold gangbusters, Dead Space Remake on the other hand could revive the entire series if EA sees there's interest. It's without a doubt the one most in need of a purchase.
I just read on another thread that E.A are polling people about remaking 2 and 3.

Got to happen, surely.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

As I understand it, all three of those games have technical issues on PC, though two of them are minor.
Hogwarts Legacy mostly just has more frequent loading screens on PC.
Elden Ring still has micro-stutters every time the game needs to load a new texture.
Dead Space, by multiple accounts, is a disaster and should not be played on PC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm liking Hogwarts Legacy better than any game that I played last year including Elden Ring and God of War. Haven't played Dead Space Remake.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
You can try Returnal too, if you're up to some challenge. But best of that three games is obviously the Elden Ring. When you play with a melee character without the help of AI summons(spirit of ashes, aka easy mode), you can experience the highest point of the Dark Souls formula.

acidagfc

I have certainly had my experience with From and Souls games, some good and some not so good.

I enjoyed Demon Souls on ps5, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls, but didn't really get on with Sekiro and the later Dark Souls games.

Out of interest, are The Surge games considered part of the sun genre?

What about Hades?
Personally I could never get into Sekiro, but DS3 and BB (and ER) are my jam. Hundreds of hours spent in those. ER alone is like 120 hours already and I may get back to it yet.
Surge is certainly Souls-like. Not as good as the originals, but an intersting take on the genre.
Hades is a rogue-like, but a great game too.

Edit:I have nothing against Dead Space either, I love the original, replayed it multiple times. But for the best bang for your buck, ER and Hogwarts are better imo.

Last edited:
As I understand it, all three of those games have technical issues on PC, though two of them are minor.
Elden Ring still has micro-stutters every time the game needs to load a new texture.
Hogwarts is having way more stutters for me that I ever had in Elden Ring.

Only time i remember ER stuttering or dropping FPS was fighting the tree sentinel and when you are in the area where you first meet the women who gives you the jellyfish summon. the rest of the game was running well. So definitely not stuttering every time a new texture was loaded lol.

if you said that about Hogwarts I might believe you. It's playable but the stuttering is ridiculous.

Topher

Gold Member
Hogwarts is having way more stutters for me that I ever had in Elden Ring.

Only time i remember ER stuttering or dropping FPS was fighting the tree sentinel and when you are in the area where you first meet the women who gives you the jellyfish summon. the rest of the game was running well. So definitely not stuttering every time a new texture was loaded lol.

if you said that about Hogwarts I might believe you. It's playable but the stuttering is ridiculous.

Do you have RT on in HL? I turned it off and my stutters went away for the most part.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I found Elden Ring to be more accessible than other From Software games.
Yeah old fans seem to think it’s for casuals with the ashes and npc summons. For me it’s just right, the size of the world and traversal freedom means I never have to grind the same areas until I’m bored to level up and progress, I can just go out exploring in another direction and level up that way. And there is always maxing out the mimic as a last resort. Loving it!

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Avoid at all cost Dead Space, buy it only discounted and it won't last long for you.

Buy Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy, you can't go wrong with both of them.
Just choose you side: do you want to suffer (in the right way) and do you to be amazed ?

I voted Hogwarts Legacy because I want to piss Retardera as much as possible and see this game climb the mountains.

Last edited:
You can try Returnal too, if you're up to some challenge. But best of that three games is obviously the Elden Ring. When you play with a melee character without the help of AI summons(spirit of ashes, aka easy mode), you can experience the highest point of the Dark Souls formula.
I have Returnal on ps5 and it's a great game.

Avoid at all cost Dead Space, buy it only discounted and it won't last long for you.

Buy Elden Ring or Hogwarts Legacy, you can't go wrong with both of them.
Just choose you side: do you want to suffer (in the right way) and do you to be amazed ?

I voted Hogwarts Legacy because I want to piss Retardera as much as possible and see this game climb the mountains.
Why avoid at all costs?

Is that because of performance?

Personally I could never get into Sekiro, but DS3 and BB (and ER) are my jam. Hundreds of hours spent in those. ER alone is like 120 hours already and I may get back to it yet.
Surge is certainly Souls-like. Not as good as the originals, but an intersting take on the genre.
Hades is a rogue-like, but a great game too.

Edit:I have nothing against Dead Space either, I love the original, replayed it multiple times. But for the best bang for your buck, ER and Hogwarts are better imo.
I really enjoyed The Surge and the sequel.

They did something a bit different.

What is the issue with Dead Space?

Is it poorly optimised, or is it stuttering, or is the performance demanding of lesser hardware?

ZoukGalaxy

Why avoid at all costs?

Is that because of performance?
Not really.
More because you already played it and you'll will regret it once finished, it won't last long and arbitrary changes they made are quite... questionable at best. Also, technical issues will be fixed later, wait for a massive sales, it will happen for sure.

Seriously, just take a pick, you can't go wrong with ER or HL. They are both gems.

If you can't decide, just go to twitch and watch shortly (to avoid heavy spoilers) some random streams (no mic preferably) for each game and see which one create that spark in your eyes.

Fire Glowing GIF by Angry Birds

Last edited:
Not really.
More because you already played it and you'll will regret it once finished, it won't last long and arbitrary changes they made are quite... questionable at best. Also, technical issues will be fixed later, wait for a massive sales, it will happen for sure.

Seriously, just take a pick, you can't go wrong with ER or HL. They are both gems.

If you can't decide, just go to twitch and watch shortly (to avoid heavy spoilers) some random streams (no mic preferably) for each game and see which one create that spark in your eyes.

Fire Glowing GIF by Angry Birds
I'm thinking I might go for Hogwarts Legacy.

It is a bit more of my cup of tea and feels more interesting a world to explore.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Elden Ring. Best money/value game you can get out there. It's freaking amazing.

And no way in hell Hogwarts Legacy is more interesting to explore than Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Elden Ring. Best money/value game you can get out there. It's freaking amazing.

And no way in hell Hogwarts Legacy is more interesting to explore than Elden Ring.
Well, that's your opinion, but that's fair enough as I'm asking for opinions.

Is there anything to do in Elden Ring that doesn't involve killing, like dialogue trees, puzzles, crafting etc...?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I would pick Elden Ring with some judicial "easy mode" mods.

Or Hogwarts on PS5. I don't think OP's PC will run new Deadspace remake well, or Callisto Protocol, and OP already played Deadspace 1 in either case.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Well, that's your opinion, but that's fair enough as I'm asking for opinions.

Is there anything to do in Elden Ring that doesn't involve killing, like dialogue trees, puzzles, crafting etc...?
Sure I respect that. I'm currently playing Hogwarts Legacy, with my previous completed game being Elden Ring and well... I stand by what I said.

Elden Ring is a joy to explore, game doesn't hold your hand over anything. It's exploration on the rawest possible way. Hogwarts Legacy, while pretty and nostalgic, doesn't feel that rewarding in that regard.

They're totally different games, you'll find things in one that you won't find in the other, but personally I find Elden Ring to be in a totally different league on its own.

Last edited:
Sure I respect that. I'm currently playing Hogwarts Legacy, with my previous completed game being Elden Ring and well... I stand by what I said.

Elden Ring is a joy to explore, game doesn't hold your hand over anything. It's exploration on the rawest possible way. Hogwarts Legacy, while pretty and nostalgic, doesn't feel that rewarding in that regard.

They're totally different games, you'll find things in one that you won't find in the other, but personally I find Elden Ring to be in a totally different league on its own.
My own reservation about Elden Ring is whether I'll hit that frustration ceiling, you know the one where you can't beat an enemy no matter what you do.

I understand in Elden Ring you can just go off, find something else to do, then come back when you feel stronger.

Judged against the other Souls games how hard would you say it was?

DryvBy

I voted Hogwarts because I think it has the broadest appeal and is the deepest of the three choices. Plenty of combat, exploration, voice-acted quest-driven content, gear looting, etc, etc.

Elden Ring is great and all but the storytelling is buried and it kind grinds to a halt early on if the player isn't totally into the whole sadomasochistic approach too many Japanese developers take these days - which From turned up to 50/10 with their games (and before anyone gets emotional, I think it was game of year last year).

So here in 2023, def Hogwarts. If you need an undue challenge put it on hard and needlessly spam attacks on the advent bullet sponge enemies. If you want to have fun, keep it on normal.
I've had an easier time being entertained by the Elden Ring story tbh. The story in Hogwarts is just kind of boring.

So, in the last 12 hours there's been a massive surge by Hogwarts Legacy and it has gone from being a mere 22% of the vote to a much more respectable 36% at the time of writing.

Deas Space still trails at a considerable distance and with so much ground to make up seems to be out of the running.

Elden Ring, as I had a feeling it might after the first few hours, is way out in front and a clear favourite among my fellow Gaffers.

The only thing that remains to be seen now is just how big the margin is that Elden Ring wins by.

After all, a comeback by Hogwarts Legacy can't happen... surely?

Last edited:
Top Bottom