• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Lyre was an asshole. His tag summed up everything about him. Wasn't around for Mike Works' reign of terror, so I'll have to take EviLore's word for it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've brought this up in the past, but it would be very helpful if the tags for permabanned and banned were different. A "Suspended until x date" would be great, instead of a blanket "Banned" tag.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
bengraven said:
I got my tag for pointing out that if someone posts a news story about an average-poor looking woman who has done the most fucked up things believable...but is white...than there's always a couple of GAFFers that are like "would still do it...".

Someone posted a story about a fucked up black prostitute who was below average but not fat and nasty and I was like (paraphrasing, which makes my argument look worse) "wow, no one has posted a "would" here...suppose it's because she's black" and Bish slapped me with a tag.

I probably deserved it, but I'm not usually one for pointing out double standards...just chose a bad moment to do it.

I still like my old tag: "too mature for this board". Something sardonic about it as I get older...

At least you understand what your tag is for.

MAF and BlackStallion had the best exits. I had forgotten about MAF's until it was brought up today ha.

I prefer when mods participate in conversation, as opposed to swooping in with a "sup, I'm watching you" mentality. You knew it would be impossible to carry on a cordial, intelligent conversation on issues Dragona had fiercely differing opinions on. Amir0x may go on a weird ass tangent and erupt arguments, but for the most part he doesn't ban a bunch of people who disagree with him, then swoop out the thread and act like nothing happened.

I like how Blackace chills with folks in the hip hop thread, or Amir0x does in the GoT threads. That's what moderation is.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Devolution is a big girl who appears intelligent and well spoken (even if she seems lack a sense of humor), she is perfectly capable of defending herself and holding her own in a debate. She does not need you to rush to defend her honor and take a few bullets that she is perfectly capable of taking herself. It's far more insulting to assume she needs your help in making the "mean men stop yelling at her" than any comment anybody has made in this thread towards her.

ConradCervantes said:
Yeah, Lyre was an asshole. His tag summed up everything about him. Wasn't around for Mike Works' reign of terror, so I'll have to take EviLore's word for it.

From all I can tell, it wasn't a reign of terror, it was a reign of awesome.

spindashing said:
Yeah. I thought I would never post in Gaming side after I got banned, but I guess it's all about:

- Posting in a thread where you know a lot of people there.

or

- Contributing to the topic in some way that is not inflammatory. If you disagree with something, clearly state your problems without having to curse/berate people.

Yeah, well in my case they were spoiler and dev insult things.
-Spoiling an NPC random dialogue in RDR (not a mission just a line he would randomly be scripted to say)
-Saying something really insulting about George Broussard. I disliked how he's this voice of announcing studio closings and such considering his on history. Only problem was I didn't say it nearly as constructive as that (well far far worse) and I didn't realize for some reason fired devs love leaking those things to him.

Oh well you live and learn, both were valid reasons to get banned.

That said whoever posted my one OT ban (which was short) gave a very useful just calm down message. I guess posting right before the Bar Exam wasn't me at my least stressed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ConradCervantes said:

Mike Works actually changed my user profile fields to a bunch of homophobic crap, :lol.

xbhaskarx

The Shadow said:
That kind of favoritism urks me though, always has, on or off-line. Pet peeve I guess.
We all have our pet peeves...

urkel.jpg

spelling is mine

Garjon said:
Well quite a large volume of posts were deleted so if there was anything incriminating, it was no doubt lost there. That whole thing with perma'ing posters at the beginning just seems so mad, although perhaps it was due to frustration or something, didn't you get another mod involved?

Not that I know of but as mods used to post in there(mainly during international tourneys) I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved.
If I remember right, Bish was posting in there around the time the bannings were taking place(& didn't ban anyone, strangely enough). There was definitely rumours that Evilore was unhappy about it due to the drop in traffic ( there would be a lot more posts in the old threads than the current one) but I don't know how true that was( I doubt it to be honest, otherwise the bans would have been lifted.), but it was a bannable offence to mention the forum that was set up by the bannees( even though it was a strictly football forum), I remember a few posters being taken down for that.

alr1ghtstart said:
I've brought this up in the past, but it would be very helpful if the tags for permabanned and banned were different. A "Suspended until x date" would be great, instead of a blanket "Banned" tag.

On the other hand, I appreciate the subtlety of ban indicators here. SA's fucking ugly 'BANNED' or 'CANCER' or whatever images on top of avatars is some of the most god-awful shit I've ever seen on a forum. Obviously their attitude to bans and whatever is different to GAF's, but still.

Yeah, I deserved to get banned quite frankly. It was in one of those PSN getting hacked/PSN is down threads and I equated going through that thread to smelling your own excrement.

Had it coming, but I was too blind to see it.

PhoenixDark said:
MAF and BlackStallion had the best exits. I had forgotten about MAF's until it was brought up today ha.

I prefer when mods participate in conversation, as opposed to swooping in with a "sup, I'm watching you" mentality. You knew it would be impossible to carry on a cordial, intelligent conversation on issues Dragona had fiercely differing opinions on. Amir0x may go on a weird ass tangent and erupt arguments, but for the most part he doesn't ban a bunch of people who disagree with him, then swoop out the thread and act like nothing happened.

I like how Blackace chills with folks in the hip hop thread, or Amir0x does in the GoT threads. That's what moderation is.
Damn, didn't know THIS many people hated Dragona. :/

bengraven said:
I got my tag for pointing out that if someone posts a news story about an average-poor looking woman who has done the most fucked up things believable...but is white...than there's always a couple of GAFFers that are like "would still do it...".

Someone posted a story about a fucked up black prostitute who was below average but not fat and nasty and I was like (paraphrasing, which makes my argument look worse) "wow, no one has posted a "would" here...suppose it's because she's black" and Bish slapped me with a tag.

I probably deserved it, but I'm not usually one for pointing out double standards...just chose a bad moment to do it.

I still like my old tag: "too mature for this board". Something sardonic about it as I get older...
You can thank me for your new tag. I made that thread in which you got tagged :p

siddx

TacticalFox88 said:

I didn't hate Dragona. From all accounts she was a cool person offline. But his post pointed out the issue, on the OT side at least, she made little to no effort to participate in threads outside of "hey I'm in here now and I'm going to start banning people". When I see most other mods, I don't automatically assume something has gone wrong and people are going to start disappearing. With her, the minute she showed up in an OT thread, you knew the thread was now a graveyard.

spindashing said:
Yeah, I deserved to get banned quite frankly. It was in one of those PSN getting hacked/PSN is down threads and I equated going through that thread to smelling your own excrement.

Had it coming, but I was too blind to see it.
That thread was a bloodbath. I was scared as fuck trying to remember if i had said anything ban-worthy that entire time.

Qwomo said:
http://i.imgur.com/ymadi.png[IMG][/quote]
Lost my shit. :lol

Zeliard

I've personally never had issues with Dragona. She was always cool to me, though it's unfortunate others had problems.

The ol' mod/admin council sure is a sausage fest these days, outside of Kagari :p

Chinner

Banned
Solo said:
I've been banned for:

- making fun of wrestling (lolz)
- spoiling Bioshock
- spoiling Oldboy

A month or two each time, I believe. Strangly enough, no bans for trolling :lol

Crushed got me banned one time. I used to know Crushed on an another forum before GAF. Anyway, I was barely a member here and I asked him for the not-my-problem image. He linked it to me and and I foolishly hotlinked the image onto GAF and called it a night. I wake up to be banned, and I then discover that Crushed had swapped the image to tubgirl or something. It was amazing.

Another time I got banned for making fun of people who people were queueing outside for the midnight release of GTA IV. Totally worth it.

siddx said:
Devolution is a big girl who appears intelligent and well spoken (even if she seems lack a sense of humor), she is perfectly capable of defending herself and holding her own in a debate. She does not need you to rush to defend her honor and take a few bullets that she is perfectly capable of taking herself. It's far more insulting to assume she needs your help in making the "mean men stop yelling at her" than any comment anybody has made in this thread towards her.

It is nice to know though when people do enjoy my posts or my presence. When the dogpile starts I just throw my hands up in the air.

Amir0x

Banned
it's nice to see positive outpourings from segments of the neoGAF community in the thread about some mods or the community itself.

I really do dig this place. Been here like eight years, that's a long time by any standard. Mods all do this for free and it's taxing and time consuming stuff so it is appreciated the kind comments. And the criticism - I always love reading that stuff. Fascinates me to read how diverse opinions are on a subject as simple as the perspective on a single person.

Anyway, buy Alice: Madness Returns.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chinner said:
Crushed got me banned one time. I used to know Crushed on another forum before we started posting here. Anyway, I was barely a member here and (on the other forum) I asked Crushed for that Reggie problem picture. He linked it to me and and I foolishly hotlinked the image onto GAF and called it a night. I wake up to be banned, and I then discover that Crushed had swapped the image to tubgirl or something. It was amazing.

Another time I got banned for making fun of people who people were queueing outside for the midnight release of GTA IV.

I got Crushed banned by whining that he spoiled MGS3 for me during my first playthrough (and he did). He posted a funny gif when he came back.

Amir0x said:
it's nice to see positive outpourings from segments of the neoGAF community in the thread about some mods or the community itself.

I really do dig this place. Been here like eight years, that's a long time by any standard. Mods all do this for free and it's taxing and time consuming stuff so it is appreciated the kind comments. And the criticism - I always love reading that stuff. Fascinates me to read how diverse opinions are on a subject as simple as the perspective on a single person.

Anyway, buy Alice: Madness Returns.

I will. I've been fighting it...but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it soon.

Garjon

Cerebral Assassin said:
Not that I know of but as mods used to post in there(mainly during international tourneys) I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved.
If I remember right, Bish was posting in there around the time the bannings were taking place(& didn't ban anyone, strangely enough). There was definitely rumours that Evilore was unhappy about it due to the drop in traffic ( there would be a lot more posts in the old threads than the current one) but I don't know how true that was( I doubt it to be honest, otherwise the bans would have been lifted.), but it was a bannable offence to mention the forum that was set up by the bannees( even though it was a strictly football forum), I remember a few posters being taken down for that.
Yep, linking to the splinter forums has always been bannable (see above). I always wondered why it took so long to sticky the thread, perhaps to avoid the sort of situations described above. It's good that the whole affair seems to have been put behind you; I don't often post in the current footie thread but I do enjoy reading it.

siddx

Speaking of tags, there are a few posters on here whose tags I came up with...which makes me proud and drunk with non existent power. I made some thread one day where I just spent the whole day assigning short descriptions to random posters until my brains melted and a few of those descriptions ended up as tags.

Dennis

Banned
Devolution said:
It is nice to know though when people do enjoy my posts or my presence. When the dogpile starts I just throw my hands up in the air.
There is no dogpiling. Get over yourself.

When you post stupid shit people call you out. Same as for everybody else.

siddx said:

From all I can tell, it wasn't a reign of terror, it was a reign of awesome.
Okay, last post on this. I was being sarcastic above about being a white-knight. I don't give a fuck what the gender of a poster is, I frequently tell people to fuck off if I think they're ragging on someone for the sake of it and being a jerk. In the case of Devolution I agree totally that she needs no help, my point was that the thread was in danger of becoming about her. And I like this thread as it is.

jakncoke

Banned
Chinner said:
Crushed got me banned one time. I used to know Crushed on an another forum before GAF. Anyway, I was barely a member here and I asked him for the not-my-problem image. He linked it to me and and I foolishly hotlinked the image onto GAF and called it a night. I wake up to be banned, and I then discover that Crushed had swapped the image to tubgirl or something. It was amazing.

Another time I got banned for making fun of people who people were queueing outside for the midnight release of GTA IV. Totally worth it.

lmfao

Tarazet

TacticalFox88 said:

She has a rage in her heart for the people who call themselves gamers, but didn't buy Baten Kaitos: Origins. A rage that burns with the intensity of a thousand suns. A rage which will never die.

Amir0x said:

Such as Roger Ebert ;) Funny thing was if I had known Amir0x can go full tilt on you and he won't ban you (ignoring it's a stop talking about this subject mod type post) I might have continued. Part of it was other boards I've read where debating a mod (on just normal stuff) was going to have you wind up like a tourist visiting the canals at night.

Well once again live and learn.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
ZZMitch said:
I feel kind of lame, really. I feel like I have never really gotten into a good argument with someone on GAF.
I get in really heated arguments all the time.

I'm actually surprised* I haven't been reprimanded for something I've said.

No I'm not. I'm always in the right.

Solo

The thing about bans is that they're never for what you expect they will be for. Like, I undoubtedly deserved all my bans in retrospect, but I dunno, there have been a great many times I've taken things way too far and I feel like a ban in imminent, and then it... just doesn't happen.

lol

siddx

Devolution said:

It's because you have a strong sense of right and wrong and you are willing to stand up for yourself. You are going to get "piled on" due to that fact regardless of your gender. There have been times when I was one of the first to post in a thread with a strongly worded opinion that seemingly set the entire site against me. I don't even remember the topic but there was one case in particular where I though people were going to PM me death threats. Most people talk on here with a hint of hyperbole that can make them seem more extreme than they really are. They also often have to "yell" a little louder and meaner to be heard under the crush of opinions and posts. It isn't personal (or at least it shouldn't be).

Amir0x

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Such as Roger Ebert ;) Funny thing was if I had known Amir0x can go full tilt on you and he won't ban you (ignoring it's a stop talking about this subject mod type post) I might have continued. Part of it was other boards I've read where debating a mod (on just normal stuff) was going to have you wind up like a tourist visiting the canals at night.

Well once again live and learn.

Absolutely!

The one thing everyone should know about me is that when I am engaging you in a discussion it means I respect you unless I explicitly say otherwise. I only talk with people I respect in some way.

jakncoke

Banned
bengraven said:
Other than the trolling, that was really really awesome.

Best thread ever in my opinion. I was going to see if we could recreate it once.

Word. Minus the trolling it really could work out and something to do.

Dante23

This thread is amazing, I always wondered what had happened to a bunch a people in the forum, I was especially curious about Red Scarlet and Dragona but I never expected to see answers, plus I found a lot of things that I didn't know like that only admins can change others tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom