• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which popular acronyms do you associate with the less popular games?

Busaiku

Stuff like SMB, MK, GOW (this is a tough one, I think), etc.
Acronyms that are shared among different games/gaming communities.

Not necessarily between 2 games, but "GG" always means "Guilty Gear" for me, so this past year has been confusing, to say the least.
"AC" is definitely "Animal Crossing" here.

Hansel

Banned
I often just see the acronyms as random letters and don't know what they stand for until I start seeing context clues.

Mr.Fusion

I believe it's only an acronym if the letters form a word.
While not an unpopular game, I always confuse the initials for Animal Crossing and Assassin's Creed.

I think that initialisms are a bit overused on this forum. Most of the time, I know the game in question, but when it's referred to as a seemingly random assortment of letters, I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I use an initialism, I try to use the full name of the game earlier in the post, so that people have some sort of reference point.

For instance: I like Mario Sunshine. My favorite part about MS is that I can squirt water out of a gun.

To answer you question, though. Animal Crossing is less popular than Assassin's Creed, but I often associate AC with the former.

EDIT: Changed the word from acronym to initialism because it's proper.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think that acronyms are a bit overused on this forum. Most of the time, I know the game in question, but when it's referred to as a seemingly random assortment of letters, I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I use acronyms, I try to use the full name of the game earlier in the post, so that people have some sort of reference point.

For instance: I like Mario Sunshine. My favorite part about MS is that I can squirt water out of a gun.

To answer you question, though. Animal Crossing is less popular than Assassin's Creed, but I often associate AC with the former.

This is what I do too!

Certain people somewhere were confused when I used MK to refer to Mario Kart, thinking I was referring to Mortal Kombat, which is, of course, silly.

I believe it's only an acronym if the letters form a word.
That is correct. These are abbreviations. Of course, language is a living thing, so if you look at it from a less prescriptivist point of view it doesn't really matter.

GoW will always be Gears of War to me.

I hate acronyms however and some thread titles are ridiculous with the amount they use them. Half the time I click a thread title to see what the hell its about only to find its some anime shit and have to quickly back out.

GOW is God of War, thats not up for debate.

Gears of War is abbreviated as Gears.

"Gears" makes you immediately think of gears.

"God" doesn't make you think of God of War.

Therefore Gears of War gets Gears and God of War gets GOW.

Plus God of War was first.

Mexen

MSG will always be Mobile Suit Gundam.
I was hoping someone would read that as MGS and immediately think of Metal Gear Solid(as a joke). Did I win?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
When I was lurker I always thought "LTTP" in thread titles stood for Link to the Past...as in it referenced the game but also played off the meaning of "link to the past" as people talked about old games

As for RTTP, forever I seemed to only see that with Japanese media, and thought it was a bad joke and stood for "Rinku to the Past". I've admitted this before, and I recall I wasn't the only one who thought this either.

More on topic, AC is the first one that popped to my mind---Animal Crossing fan here!

I always think of this when I remember stuff like Fatal Fury also being FF... along with other stuff that I can't remember right now.

I think that initialisms are a bit overused on this forum. Most of the time, I know the game in question, but when it's referred to as a seemingly random assortment of letters, I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I use an initialism, I try to use the full name of the game earlier in the post, so that people have some sort of reference point.

EDIT: Changed the word from acronym to initialism because it's proper.

I follow this rule myself. It sure would be nice if everyone did.

impact

Banned
MK is always Mortal Kombat for me

Mario Kart will never be relevant enough with me to use an acronym for it.

There is definitely a special place in hell for people who misuse DMC and DmC though

N30RYU

KOTOR is another one that can't be confused

SMB Super mario bros
GOW God of war
MK Mortal Kombat
AC Assassin's Creed
FF final fantasy

Slair

Preemptively putting TF2 for Team Fortress 2 because when Titanfall 2 comes out everyone will be calling it TF2.

Hinchy

People say SMS to mean Super Mario Sunshine, but I always read it as Sega Master System. Not sure which is more common the world over, but it's probably at least less common in the United States.

The harder to figure out is certainly DS

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dead Space
Dual Screen (Nintendo DS)
DarkSiders (not that common I guess)

Top Bottom