• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which popular acronyms do you associate with the less popular games?

Just so I can be THAT guy.

Acronym: Like LASER or NATO (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, North Atlantic Treaty Organization.) It is pronounced.

Intialism or alphabetism: NYC. (New York City.) Where each letter is said aloud.

I'm not an asshole I promise.

That as well!

Also whenever I hear 2K I always think NBA 2k not the 2K the publisher

jSrXWI.gif

Acronym: Like LASER or NATO (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, North Atlantic Treaty Organization.) It is pronounced.

Intialism or alphabetism: NYC. (New York City.) Where each letter is said aloud.

You're not, but you are about two pages late.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How come it's GCN (Gamecube Nintendo), and not NCG (Nintendo Gamecube) like you'd expect it to be?

I mean, it's not the ESN, or the ESSN, or the 64N....was NCG taken or something?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
GOW is God of War, thats not up for debate.

Gears of War is abbreviated as Gears.

"Gears" makes you immediately think of gears.

"God" doesn't make you think of God of War.

Therefore Gears of War gets Gears and God of War gets GOW.

Plus God of War was first.

This can't be quoted enough. It's all well and good if GoW means Gears of War to you personally, just as long as you know that your opinion is wrong.

Actually can anyone tell me why some people refer to the original PlayStation as the PSX and not the PS1 (like most people)

MK has always been Mortal Kombat to me which makes all the references to Mario Kart 8 confusing at first glance.
I mean, Mario Kart came first so I always associate it with that, but really it should be SMK!

Luckily there's not much MK 8 and MK 7 confusion because MK 8 is just MK vs DC and MK 7...well, who ever wants to talk about Armageddon?!

Melchiah

I've never thought GOW was a tough one. Always just thought God of War is GOW, Gears of War is just Gears.

GOW is God of War, thats not up for debate.

Gears of War is abbreviated as Gears.

"Gears" makes you immediately think of gears.

"God" doesn't make you think of God of War.

Therefore Gears of War gets Gears and God of War gets GOW.

Plus God of War was first.

Yep. Just like FF is for Final Fantasy not Fatal Frame, as the former was first.

This can't be quoted enough. It's all well and good if GoW means Gears of War to you personally, just as long as you know that your opinion is wrong.

Actually can anyone tell me why some people refer to the original PlayStation as the PSX and not the PS1 (like most people)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)
Sony's North American division, known as Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), originally planned to market the new console under the alternative branding "PSX" following the negative feedback regarding "PlayStation" in focus group studies. Early advertising prior to the console's launch in North America referenced PSX, but the term was scrapped before launch.

Never used it myself though.

Madao

Not for a game itself but anyone knows why the GameCube was NGC in Japan and GCN in Europe/America?

First I was thinking it was something related to some Neo Geo Color (but the Neo Geo is the Neo Geo Pocket Color, NGPC) but I don't know. Is there any official statement about this?

How come it's GCN (Gamecube Nintendo), and not NCG (Nintendo Gamecube) like you'd expect it to be?

I mean, it's not the ESN, or the ESSN, or the 64N....was NCG taken or something?

you guys can blame that one on the National Geographc Channel. they owned NGC at the time so Nintendo had to change the GC.
there was an article about that like a decade ago.

Regginator

The harder to figure out is certainly DS

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dead Space
Dual Screen (Nintendo DS)
DarkSiders (not that common I guess)

I use DeS for Demon's Souls and DaS for Dark Souls. I see those being used here on GAF quite frequently as well. Regular DS is Darksiders for me.

Tu101uk

Some of the major games magazines in the UK at the time used PSX when referring to it. I meself use it all the time when typing something, but use PS1 when speaking.

Also makes it easier to distinguish the original console with the trimmed-down PSone.

khaaan

Not an acronym or initialization, but Kratos. I understand it's a reference to Greek mythology and God Of War makes the most sense as far as gaming goes but Tales of Symphonia came out almost a year before God of War and so whenever I think of video game guy named Kratos I think of Kratos Aurion and not the angry guy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember the PSX stuff confusing me as a kid...for the longest time as a kid I was under the impression it was a new model of the PlayStation that was portable.

Stevey

Sort of OT, but every time I see GCN, I have to think what it means.
In the UK I never heard anyone call it that, it was always just the Gamecube.

correojon

When I was lurker I always thought "LTTP" in thread titles stood for Link to the Past...as in it referenced the game but also played off the meaning of "link to the past" as people talked about old games
Lol, it was the same for me until a few weeks ago when I finally gave up and looked ir up on the Urben Dictionary :p

That's cool, but some things are both, or at least have a pronunciation that's debated. Like NES and SNES. Some people say "Ness" and "Sness", but others say "S-N-E-S". Or CODBLOPS. I'm sure everyone can think of more examples.

Seems like there should be a better rule that defines them outside of the subjective nature of people's (mis)pronunciation.

Top Bottom