• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which popular acronyms do you associate with the less popular games?

Timeaisis

When I was lurker I always thought "LTTP" in thread titles stood for Link to the Past...as in it referenced the game but also played off the meaning of "link to the past" as people talked about old games

As for RTTP, forever I seemed to only see that with Japanese media, and thought it was a bad joke and stood for "Rinku to the Past". I've admitted this before, and I recall I wasn't the only one who thought this either.

More on topic, AC is the first one that popped to my mind---Animal Crossing fan here!

What does RTTP stand for, anyway?

I always thought it was late to the party for Japanese games. I know that's racist. Sorry.

I often just see the acronyms as random letters and don't know what they stand for until I start seeing context clues.

even then sometimes i don't get it, the most recent example being in the money being sent out from the vita settlement, first page someone put "BBHMM". what the hell does that mean? not a game but still an acronym and your post made me want to share that. GG i often think of Gurellia Games

xzeldax3

I think that initialisms are a bit overused on this forum. Most of the time, I know the game in question, but when it's referred to as a seemingly random assortment of letters, I have no idea what you're talking about.

When I use an initialism, I try to use the full name of the game earlier in the post, so that people have some sort of reference point.

For instance: I like Mario Sunshine. My favorite part about MS is that I can squirt water out of a gun.

To answer you question, though. Animal Crossing is less popular than Assassin's Creed, but I often associate AC with the former.

EDIT: Changed the word from acronym to initialism because it's proper.
This is the way everyone should do it. When people throw out random letters with barely any context clues, it doesn't help at all.

Toothless

When people say TFA to refer to the new Star Wars movie, I think they're talking about the first Captain America movie instead.

The Force Awakens
The First Avenger

Come on, Disney!

gelf

MK has always been Mortal Kombat to me which makes all the references to Mario Kart 8 confusing at first glance.

And not an abbreviation but in a similar vein, Counterstrike is the first add on pack to Command & Conquer: Red Alert, not a FPS.

MSG will always be Mobile Suit Gundam.
I was hoping someone would read that as MGS and immediately think of Metal Gear Solid(as a joke). Did I win?

you got me.

fission-mailed.png

MK being Mario Kart/Mortal Kombat always gives me pause. it's not often obvious from the context.

Rozart

From the examples that have been mentioned--

GOW: God of War
SMB: Super Mario Brothers
MK: Mortal Kombat
DS: Nintendo DS (Dark and Demon's Souls are usually abbreviated to DkS and DeS respectively anyway)
ME: Mass Effect
AC: Animal Crossing (Although I do tend to use 'AC' to refer to Assassin's Creed as well, it's usually followed by a number i.e. AC1, AC2, AC:U etc.)

kagamin

If you say PD with no context, I'll assume it's Perfect Dark, so please specify if you're talking about Project Diva games.

.Anema

Not for a game itself but anyone knows why the GameCube was NGC in Japan and GCN in Europe/America?

First I was thinking it was something related to some Neo Geo Color (but the Neo Geo is the Neo Geo Pocket Color, NGPC) but I don't know. Is there any official statement about this?

Iokis

When I was lurker I always thought "LTTP" in thread titles stood for Link to the Past...as in it referenced the game but also played off the meaning of "link to the past" as people talked about old games

As for RTTP, forever I seemed to only see that with Japanese media, and thought it was a bad joke and stood for "Rinku to the Past". I've admitted this before, and I recall I wasn't the only one who thought this either.

More on topic, AC is the first one that popped to my mind---Animal Crossing fan here!

Oh man I also thought LTTP was link to the past. However, struggling to work out what RTTP could mean made the penny drop and I realised what both meant. You're not alone!

On topic, I'm in the MK = Mario Kart and SMB = Super Monkey Ball camp. Because I hadn't played Demon's Souls, I'd commonly use DS to mean Dark Souls till people on Twitch came down on me for the mistake. GOW is God of War to me. EDIT: See another couple of good ones above. I'd also sooner associated MW2 with Mechwarrior 2 than Call of Duty.

And as for PD...

256px-PanzerDragoon_JeanGiraud.jpg

Dremark

Banned
MK is always Mortal Kombat for me

Mario Kart will never be relevant enough with me to use an acronym for it.

There is definitely a special place in hell for people who misuse DMC and DmC though

Isn't Mortal Kombat a better selling series than Mario Kart now though?

Also MK is and has always been Mortal Kombat to me unless in context to make me think otherwise, despite the name of the game being clearly misspelled.

For the longest time I was confused as to why everyone was making Link to the Past threads.
This was what happened to me for a while.

People say SMS to mean Super Mario Sunshine, but I always read it as Sega Master System. Not sure which is more common the world over, but it's probably at least less common in the United States.
Aaaaand I came to post this.

PoE is Prison of Elders for me (play lots of Destiny)
GoW is God of War (it did predate Gears by over a year and a half, after all)

Jellzy

Neo Member
SF - Street Fighter
UT - Unreal Tournament
TLG - The Last Guardian
DMC - Devil May Cry
DAO - Dragon Age: Origins
FO - ?
HL - Half Life
DK - Donkey Kong
RE - Resident Evil
AoE - Age of Empires