• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which specific aspect of GAAS turns you away?

What exactly makes GAAS unappealing to you?

• Inevitable post-launch monetization

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Lack of complete storylines

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Indefinite nature of content release cycles

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Lack of polish (they'll patch it up/in later)

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Fractured content

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 44 53.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Nothing, because this is the future of games

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

Neff

They use every form of psychological trickery to leverage as much time and money out of you as possible in exchange for an incomplete and ultimately unsatisfying product.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GAAS just means a game that is designed to be supported like a "platform" for years, with consistent new content, that's really it.

These conversations really just boil down to this.

"I like single player games and GAAS feels threatening to me so it's bad."

There's no rational argument for preferring a developer to walk away from a game after you give them your money.

winjer

Gold Member
When games follow this model they tend to be very grindy and boring to force players to spend money.
I prefer to buy real games, than to waste money on shortcuts to avoid grinding.
Truth be told, I feel these types of games are very close to actual scams.

Metnut

I want developers solely focused on working to make games as enjoyable as possible to boost their reputations so that I consider purchasing more games from them. Whether games cost $40, $60, $70 or $90 isn’t really a big issue to me, so long as the game is a worthwhile experience and worthy of my time.

With GAAS, the developer has dual motives and the game is compromised with the focus being to encourage the player to spend more money on add-ons or subscriptions they stretch out over the long term.

I reject GAAS and won’t ever spend a nickel on it. Plenty of other things I can do with my time if games go exclusively in that direction.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I don't have a problem personally... Until they release a paywall update that forces you to shell out more money just to keep playing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
is gaas some kind of catch-all or have multiple meanings? like to me gaas is something like amazon luna or geforce now, but when i went to look it up people are saying games like Overwatch is a gaas? that confuses me because OW is just a one time purchase with cosmetic microtransactions. the microtransactions make it a gaas?

Overwatch is a GaaS because it is a live game that is constantly updated in multiple ways. They add content, cosmetics, make balance changes etc for years now. GaaS games typically also are always online. A good example is something like Warframe, which I mentioned. It came out in 2013 and Digital Extremes has been constantly adding and altering and updating the game this entire time. Contrast that with something like Outriders, which came out recently. The game released this year, and the updates are basically done this year.

keram

The fact that they almost always feel like a second job, with all the daily timers

This!!!! And then they say "you don't need to buy anything, all can be collected via playing the game".

So either you waste 1-2 weeks of your life to play for that "thing" or just buy it instantly for XXX $/€.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have everything right now without playing the game, but the game desing is fu*** up if you need to spent hours for something, while a payer get's immediately.

Makes feel your progress and your time spent on the game worthless. :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

TheContact

Different people have different meanings I think.

For me, it's more about F2P games with mtx everywhere (content and cosmetics).

But for others, it could be a full purchase with mtx to keep it going.

Overwatch is a GaaS because it is a live game that is constantly updated in multiple ways. They add content, cosmetics, make balance changes etc for years now. GaaS games typically also are always online. A good example is something like Warframe, which I mentioned. It came out in 2013 and Digital Extremes has been constantly adding and altering and updating the game this entire time. Contrast that with something like Outriders, which came out recently. The game released this year, and the updates are basically done this year.

i think i just don't like the gaas term to be used for "a game that receives updates" when the other *aas acronyms are generally about cloud computing and scalability. the way i would initially view it would be a cloud service like playstation now and not some game that has microtransactions, but thanks for the clarification. I imagine something like WoW and FFXIV would be "gaas" then as well? That would make a little more sense even in the *aas context since they charge a recurring monthly fee to play the service (game), where OW and fortnite are just one time purchases that don't require any kind of additional charges to play the game. And also games like Valorant / Apex with their seasons must also be a "gaas"

McHuj

I think Gaas only really works for multiplayer games and only to an extent. I never want to see it applied to single player games.

what irritates the most is pay to win mechanics and grind skipping boosters because you know the intent there was to steer you to pay. The game is designed with unscrupulous intentions from the start.

If a game is fun and engaging, I don’t mind throwing in some cash for cosmetics, but I usually never get to that point as the other stuff can be very off putting

I mean for me its something that isn't even in the poll. Most Gaas games are designed to encourage a really heavy grind to incentivize you to spend money rather than spend your time grinding. I don't have the time or patience to waste tons of time grinding, and I don't want to spend tons of money for bullshit that isn't going to remain important for very long. The best types of Gaas games in my opinion are those which sell cosmetics and don't encourage grind or pay to win mechanics. So games like Apex Legends and Fortnite are totally tolerable for me.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Time savers

thankfully most good gaas don’t use them. I’m fine with cosmetic stuff if keeps a game going. Destiny 2 prob the best example of a gass now. Can’t buy anything that really matters, and funds cool shit when you do. Also has expasion that u buy for the big updates.

Three

Variety is the spice of life yet GaaS games lack actual variety in gameplay. GaaS to me means RNGs with grinding the same gameplay loop for hours to unlock something that make very little difference in the gameplay. This doesn't just apply to GaaS games but they are usually the worst offenders.

is gaas some kind of catch-all or have multiple meanings? like to me gaas is something like amazon luna or geforce now, but when i went to look it up people are saying games like Overwatch is a gaas? that confuses me because OW is just a one time purchase with cosmetic microtransactions. the microtransactions make it a gaas?
The definition is:
Games as a service are ways to monetize video games either after their initial sale, or to support a free-to-play model. Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game.
Thus gaas/live service are games that receive continuous "free" content updates, and have some kind of an in-game store with premium (paid) currency.

Games that just get a couple paid updates after launch are not gaas/live service

Belthazar

I see the gaas model as the corporate need to have a constant influx of money being pushed into consumers and becoming the dominant format, instead of a trend coming from the preferences of the customers... So yeah, I guess I don't like anything about it.

Top Bottom