• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

orioto

Good Art™
I'm still hoping for Nintendo to join the party. That's so not them to miss this kind of train..
I mean they were the first actually, just a little too early :p

All those things will be too expensive, too heavy, to be really mainstream right now. I'm more interested in the Oculus cause of the great indy dynamic there and the freedom! But also Morpheus, i mean every contestant is interesting actually!

Somnid

Really boils down to price. I'm not interested in DIY hacky things like cardboard or Gear VR but I'd like to see a low-cost consumer facing effort, preferably self-contained, like taking a high-end phone guts and stuffing it into an HMD. Keep it under $200 and you have my interest.

Sorc3r3r

Sony's Morpheus.
Just for one thing: the move controllers.
I think that those funny things will be decisive for immersion and functionality.

When i'll see what the others are going to offer to actually interact inside the virtual world i may reconsider.

I am interested in them all tbh, but my purchase is going to depend on if one or all are going to be proprietary. Sony's looks good spec wise and sounds to be far more comfortable; However if it isn't compatible with PC I'll pass.

In a perfect world all these VR units will be open to use with any system as a display, even if only to mimic a very large (imax) sized 3d screen.

I am excited about the VR possibilities, but I am equally excited about having my own head mounted imax simulator.

It's too early to really make a decision. Ideally I would have a headset that works with both PS4 and PC, but I don't know if that is happening.

Hololens looks really cool, but I don't have much faith in Microsoft concept videos. Down the road this AR technology will be really big, but no one wants to wear a giant headset just to watch TV on a blank wall. The ideas presented in the video are really cool though.

Kyonashi

I totally get why most of you are saying "it's way too early to decide", and I totally agree, but this is just a thread to kinda gauge the customer opinion at the current time. I'm not asking any of you to put down a concrete pre-order. ;)

Briarios

This could change at any time, but right now I'm favoring Morpheus ... Mainly because Sony is a consumer electronics firm -- it's going to be plug & play, I expect ... And relatively painless to set up.

I expect the others to have a bit more room to breathe for those that want to customize the experience and get more out of their VR experience, but I just don't have time for that in my life right now. I don't want to spend hours with hardware and software optimizing everything. I just want it to work.

So, while Morpheus may not be quite as formidable, I expect it to feature simplicity.

Krejlooc

Banned
Really boils down to price. I'm not interested in DIY hacky things like cardboard or Gear VR but I'd like to see a low-cost consumer facing effort, preferably self-contained, like taking a high-end phone guts and stuffing it into an HMD.

That's nvidia's headset. An all-in-one solution, no PC, no phone required.

No way it'll be under $200 though.

Theonik

Vive, Oculus and Morpheus if it supports PC depending on final performance of each product. Oculus is kinda flakey right now with us not hearing anything about the Consumer Version at all.

Really I am interested in them for content development mostly so I guess I'll wait and see.

Edit: This is in the order of interest. Vive seems to have the better built in tracking out of the rest right now.

ido

Honestly, my answer is probably all of them, but I'll still try to pick a favorite from the little info we have.

Just to be clear, I've been into VR since the early 90's. My first HMD was the original Virtual i-o glasses, and I thought I was king shit showing those off to my friends. I eventually got a VFX1 and about a dozen others. I ended up befriending Palmer when he was just tinkering with shit in his garage, and got him to mod an old Liquid Image HMD for me. He ended up doing way more than modding it, and it became his first named prototype that would eventually lead to the Rift. PR1. This was FIVE years ago, and I thought it was the best thing on the planet. It weighs at least six pounds. It is absolutely insane how quickly VR has improved in just FIVE years. Seeing all of these HMDs and watching the big names dive in makes me so incredibly happy to be alive right now. My childhood hope of real VR is finally coming to fruition.

Right now the Vive is on top because of inside-out positional tracking, imo. The HMD itself actually looks pretty bad for a consumer HMD of this caliber. It uses the elastic straps like the DK1/2 used, and there is no counterweight at all. I really hope I am wrong, but it just looks like it would be uncomfortable to use for more than a short period of time. Hopefully the consumer version will improve on the ergonomics, because if the positional tracking is truly 15x15, I am going to want to use this for a while!

Morpheus has the coolest design to me so far, even though I have not been lucky enough to wear one. But you can tell it definitely looks like something you could pick up at Best Buy, and not a developer kit. It's sleek. The latest specs are actually pretty awesome, too! The panel may end up looking slightly better than DK2 with it's RGB display, and the refresh rate is nice! I think it will end up being a great HMD for PS4, and I will probably have to buy it.

The CV of the Rift is the biggest unknown, because we don't really know what kind of features Oculus is waiting to reveal. I know they have said in the past that the camera for positional tracking wasn't indicative of the final product, so I am not sure if they are going to have a system similar to Valve's or not. I hope they do, because I think VR shines the most when you can navigate in the virtual space just by moving your body. I also think with the acquisition of Carbon that we are going to be surprised at how sleek the CV1 will end up looking. I am hoping it can compete with the Morpheus on that front. I seriously doubt it will end up looking almost exactly like Crescent Bay. I really think they will nail the final design. In the end my biggest hope for the Rift is the improved positional tracking space. The thought of Valve's 15x15 tracking area makes me beyond excited to have it.

Sorry for the rambling, I just get really excited talking about VR stuff.

MilesTeg

Banned
Morpheus looks by far the most like a consumer product. I'm interested to see what they bring to E3 and if there will be any announcements from AAA publishers jumping aboard. Sony also has a large first party so I'm also interested in what they will have in the future.

Phil4000

oculus-960.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1 It will likely have the best VR hardware and when combined with a powerful PC will therefore offer the best VR experience...

It will also likely support the largest breadth of content on launch:
- Film VR content currently available on Gear VR
- Indie/mod VR content available on the Web (e.g. Oculus Share: https://share.oculus.com/)
- The largest selection of AAA VR content (Star Citizen, Project Cars, Obduction, Elite Dangerous, The Forest, Eve Valkyrie, and much more)

SmartBase

I won't care for VR until the panels are better than a measly 1080p, but the Oculus seems the most promising to me.

Krejlooc

Banned
Morpheus.

All about the gaming.

Sony has plans for morpheus well beyond gaming. Aside from the obvious stuff like streaming NBA games or VR film, there is also this:

Isz1wKl.jpg

See autodesk's inclusion on this picture? They're not referring to their gameware technology with the autodesk logo there.

Taker666

Hololens intrigues me more. There's something a touch more magical in regards to being able to bring elements of the virtual world into reality.

With VR you'd sit in your chair and use an analogue stick to walk around a virtual mansion killing zombies..

....with Hololens there's the potential for your actual house to be infested with virtual zombies....with your home actually being the gaming environment that you physically walk around in.

vpance

If Sony is smart enough will make Morpheus PC compatible and the sales would be a lot better....

The market for VR on PC is probably sub 500k now. Not a big deal I think.

If it's half as popular as Kinect was we should see a few million sales, if not more than 10 million.

harmonize

Been waiting far too long for viable VR to settle for anything other than the best, so Morpheus is out. Between the Rift and Vive, I'd need to know more about the final consumer version of the former before I made that decision, but I'm leaning towards the Vive.

Krejlooc

Banned
The market for VR on PC is probably sub 500k now. Not a big deal I think.

you realize that, very shortly here, Oculus, by themselves, will have sold about half that figure in dev kits alone? They've sold over 100,000 DK2s alone. The market for VR on the PC will be well above 500k.

Theonik

Sorry for the rambling, I just get really excited talking about VR stuff.
Secretly I am also hoping we might be surprised by the optics in CV1, nano-engineered flat lenses are the hot shit. We won't see them in HMDs for a few years though I reckon but when we do...

Mihos

Gold Member
I plan on having multiple ones, but the Vive and Morpheus seem the most interesting to me.

I think Oculus may end up being the one with the most support , though

Fbh

So far either the Rift, which I still see as the "original" one of this new wave of VR headsets. Or the Vive, because Valve.

If I ever decide to invest on VR it's going to be on PC. Between the hardware limitations and uncertainty of compatibility with future devices VR on consoles is something I'm not very interested in.

I have Google Cardboard and Oculus Rift DK2.

The rift + Elite: Dangerous + HOTAS
The rift + Iracing + Logitech G27
=
the most amazing gaming i've done in my entire life. (been gaming since early days of Commodore 64)

VR isn't "coming", it's already here. I feel bad for the people waiting when they could already be having amazing experiences like I am (with a good enough PC). I guess it helps to have a bit of money for it though. :)

I'm going with Oculus for PC and Morpheus for console.

Unless HL3 is Vive exclusive ;)

-SD-

Banned
It's a bit too early to give a worthwhile answer.

Will get back to this question when the consumer versions have been out for a while. Perhaps in late 2016.

GameSeeker

Sony looks to have the most complete VR solution so far. That could change with new announcements between now and mid 2016 when Morpheus ships, but based on what we know now, Morpheus looks to be the best solution.

A VR solution needs 5 major components:
1) A Head Mounted Display - Sony is industry leading in refresh rate and latency. Resolution and FoV are reasonable, though not industry leading. Comfort and optics (especially for folks wearing glasses) are industry leading.
2) Tracking Solution - Sony has an excellent solution with the PS Camera. Others may be comparable, but the PS Camera already exists and is proven technology.
3) Controllers - Sony has the best solution I've seen in the Move controllers. No one has demonstrated anything close.
4) CPU/GPU engine - Sony has the PS4, which will be behind PC's in power, but ahead of anything Microsoft or Nintendo has available.
5) OS & Game software - Sony is fairly well advanced on Dev Kits and is giving itself plenty of time to optimize and debug the OS/drivers/API. Some of the internal Sony studios are rumored to be focused on Morpheus titles, giving Sony a head start (i.e., they are not highly dependent on 3rd party titles).

Oculus Rift, they work the longest on this thing and they're passionate, I believe the first consumer version is going to blow our minds. ;)

And Mr. Zuckerberg is rich as fuck.

Taker666

I'm still hoping for Nintendo to join the party. That's so not them to miss this kind of train..
I mean they were the first actually, just a little too early :p

All those things will be too expensive, too heavy, to be really mainstream right now. I'm more interested in the Oculus cause of the great indy dynamic there and the freedom! But also Morpheus, i mean every contestant is interesting actually!

I can't see that happening until their next machine....either that or they'll release a $99 pair for Wii U where the screens run on the same streaming tech as the gamepad in 480p.

gooface

Banned
Rift, but I will probably wait till the 2nd consumer version comes out. Every time I tried their newer releases at PAX I was Impressed with it though.

It all comes down to cost and game compatibility.

Top Bottom