• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which VR head-mounted display are you most interested in and why?

Apathy

Personally, none, I have no interest in vr because they have not shown compelling reasons to like it. I well say this, for Morpheus to get any traction, Sony is going to have to let it be used on a PC as well as on the ps4.

As for Microsoft's offering, aren't those tons more AR than VR?

I'm interested in the tech, but none of the "products" right now. I need to see them in action with real software for any of it to matter. VR could be cool, but I need to see it in practice before I'm going to throw in my lot with any product.

I'll say that Hololens looks like a totally different product category though for AR. It likewise looks far from an actual product, such that I wouldn't be surprised if it never actually releases, and it's a category I currently have zero interest in.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Probably none right now.

I don't have enough interest in VR to be bothered with the possibility of picking the loser.

Hololense is probably the most interesting because it's doing something really different.. but it also looks like the most gimmicky and least likely to succeed.

Oculus will probably be the best by spec and support at the moment, though Sony's offering seems good, though hardware limitation will be the issue..

I'll probably wait a few years for

1) Someone to win
2) Enough time to prove that the games are there and I'm not jumping on board an expensive fad.

I'm super interested in playing this at a friends house on a nice rig. And maybe in 2-3 years will invest in my own if it seems like it's going to stick around.

I'm getting a bit burned out on promises of great experiences, rather than the actual existence of great experiences.

VR tech seems great, but what the heck are we going to be able to play on these that will take advantage of it? That's the missing piece.

Looking at a shark or walking around a scary room is cool I guess, but the idea of spending hundreds of gaming hours doing that kind of thing isn't appealing.

I was skeptical until i used a DK2 recently.

It was only the roller coaster demo and i sat there watching it with all my scepticism in tact.

Then it kicked in and the coaster went fast and my body reacted. I felt the butterflies and the sense of speed and disorientation, as well as the rush of adrenaline.

If a simple tech demo can make me feel that, i think some games will really push new boundaries with this tech.

I just wonder for how long it's viable to actually use one.

I could never imagine only having one of these instead of a monitor but i could absolutely imagine having one as an addition to a monitor. In the same way as i have an arcade stick but i don't game with it absolutely every time i play a fighting game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sony looks to have the most complete VR solution so far. That could change with new announcements between now and mid 2016 when Morpheus ships, but based on what we know now, Morpheus looks to be the best solution.

A VR solution needs 5 major components:
1) A Head Mounted Display - Sony is industry leading in refresh rate and latency. Resolution and FoV are reasonable, though not industry leading. Comfort and optics (especially for folks wearing glasses) are industry leading.
2) Tracking Solution - Sony has an excellent solution with the PS Camera. Others may be comparable, but the PS Camera already exists and is proven technology.
3) Controllers - Sony has the best solution I've seen in the Move controllers. No one has demonstrated anything close.
5) CPU/GPU engine - Sony has the PS4, which will be behind PC's in power, but ahead of anything Microsoft or Nintendo has available.
6) OS & Game software - Sony is fairly well advanced on Dev Kits and is giving itself plenty of time to optimize and debug the OS/drivers/API. Some of the internal Sony studios are rumored to be focused on Morpheus titles, giving Sony a head start (i.e., they are not highly dependent on 3rd party titles).

Only for 1 out of those points is Morpheus the best (partially, as the resolution is not). The tracking solution of Vive seems to be way better. Controllers remains to be seen. For CPU&GPU there isn't even a discussion and I don't understand what has Nintendo to do with this discussion (being there just to justify some kind of superiority). And OS&Game software is also kind of tricky, as there are already games out there on PC supporting already the VR.

vpance

you realize that, very shortly here, Oculus, by themselves, will have sold about half that figure in dev kits alone? They've sold over 100,000 DK2s alone. The market for VR on the PC will be well above 500k.

I had that figure in mind, I thought maybe 4x that would be generous enough of an amount for initial sales. Are there any sort of estimations out there by industry figures on how much they're looking to sell?

Krejlooc

Banned
Oculus will probably be the best by spec and support at the moment

in the present, as in, right now, Valve's headset is superior because A) it has oculus rift support as well, B) it is shipping with a unifying API, and C) it flat-out has the best specs at the moment.

Rift.

I'm not paying a dime for PlayStation-proprietary hardware. My last-gen official PS3 racing wheel is a paper-weight, because Sony. They will need to make Morpheus compatible with every other device for me to even consider it.

Majanew

Banned
Project Morpheus followed by Hololens. Get my VR fix and AR fix.

Reasons:
I have a PS4 and Xbox One. Morpheus sounds really cool and the specs look great, but I want to see the games for it and how they look before I make my final decision, obviously. Hololens so I can check out AR and see how much I like it compared to using VR. Same for it as Morpheus about seeing the games and applications for it.

Project Morpheus may not be the most high-end specs-wise, and it may be limited to PS4's hardware, but it's an easier sell... I already have a PS4.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had that figure in mind, I thought maybe 4x that would be generous enough of an amount for initial sales. Are there any sort of estimations out there by industry figures on how much they're looking to sell?

1 million in the first year is oculus' projection. The next most "official" projection comes from Fox pictures, which expects revenue of VR headsets to reach $1 billion by 2017.

Oculus or Vive? Much too early to call.

I have to say though, I don't think I'm entirely over the moon with Valve's decision to muddy the water by doing their own HMD. I'm not sure competition at this juncture is particularly good for VR (excluding Morpheus).

That said, Oculus has a lot to prove of the software development side. That's Valve's bread and butter, and Oculus has completely underwhelmed thus far. Software support is going to be crucial. Until I can get a sense of how much VR system overlap there will be for software, I'm not going to get too excited about any one HMD.

Have you ever tried VR?

I feel like this happens in every thread about VR.

It does. It's almost not worth defending it anymore, most of the people that call it a fad have no interest in reading about or discussing it.

Although I've saved a few threads for future crow eating contests where I have been part of the defense force. If VR does fail, I'll be happy to take the shit that I've dished out...but I don't bet on much unless I've done my homework.

By the way, that's crazy that you knew Palmer Luckey.

it flat-out has the best specs at the moment.
I can understand that the overall package can result in a better experience despite the specs, so I'd have no problem believing that Vive is on top right now, but you specifically say specs... the lower resolution and (apparently?) LCD panels of Vive surely mean CB is still technically higher spec?

I'm saddened Nintendo isn't part of the pioneering. Missed opportunity there. But I'm going to wait it out and see which HMD has the least issues with the best price.

Krejlooc

Banned
I can understand that the overall package can result in a better experience despite the specs, so I'd have no problem believing that Vive is on top right now, but you specifically say specs... the lower resolution and (apparently?) LCD panels of Vive surely mean CB is still technically higher spec?

I don't know where people are getting that the vive uses LCD panels (I guess because HTC doesn't manufacture a phone with OLED at the moment) but I doubt it does because the dev days proto didn't use LCDs and Valve themselves are the ones who stumbled upon the utility of low persistence in VR in the first place.

The resolution difference between 1440p and dual 1200x1080 screens is negligible AFAIK. Much more important is the type of positional tracking used, and Valve's is the solution I've been advocating for years now.

GameSeeker

Only for 1 out of those points is Morpheus the best (partially, as the resolution is not). The tracking solution of Vive seems to be way better. Controllers remains to be seen. For CPU&GPU there isn't even a discussion and I don't understand what has Nintendo to do with this discussion (being there just to justify some kind of superiority). And OS&Game software is also kind of tricky, as there are already games out there on PC supporting already the VR.

Certainly for some areas a PC solution like Oculus Rift is industry leading, but no one is currently industry leading in all 5 areas. At this point, Sony seems to be ahead when you add up all 5 areas. This could easily change in the future, but we will have to wait and see.

Theonik

in the present, as in, right now, Valve's headset is superior because A) it has oculus rift support as well, B) it is shipping with a unifying API, and C) it flat-out has the best specs at the moment.
A) and B) are really big points for me for VR to succeed in commercial consumer endeavors. A standard abstracted interface for the devices needs to exist and it needs to be adopted universally at least as an option with some sacrificed functionality.

With everyone dipping their hands into the VR pot I can see it drowning like many motion accessories for the PC have.

ido

It does. It's almost not worth defending it anymore, most of the people that call it a fad have no interest in reading about or discussing it.

Although I've saved a few threads for future crow eating contests where I have been part of the defense force. If VR does fail, I'll be happy to take the shit that I've dished out...but I don't bet on much unless I've done my homework.

By the way, that's crazy that you knew Palmer Luckey.

I agree with you completely. Those who say this is a fad, are a fad. They usually never even know what VR is actually like, and assume it is a 3D TV on your face, or something.

I still occasionally chat with Palmer, but I know he is super busy helping create one of the world's best HMDs and all lol. His journey was amazing and I couldn't be more happy for him. I'm just thrilled I was a minute and tiny little piece of that history!

jaypah

I'm probably going to sit back and watch to see which PC headset appeals to me the most to replace my DK2. Morpheus is day one because it looks comfy and I think Sony is going to give it proper care. But my main focus is which ever headset appeals most for PC just because of the open nature of it. Stuff like seeing Catbus flying in front of you is amazing and those kind of unofficial demos and experiences aren't going to happen on closed consoles.

USC-fan

Banned
Morpheus for sure. Going by report the simple sony demos are a lot better thsn you can find anywhere else. Plus it will get all the big vr projects as almost all are already announce.

But the biggest reason is it will be a fix spec. Unlike the other vr that will likely be update at least yearly. It will be very unlikely sony will update the vr tech until ps5. So buying morpheus you are set for years.

Megatron

Have you ever tried VR?

I feel like this happens in every thread about VR.

Yes, I tried occulus at the last three pax primes. Most recently played superhot twice.

I really thought I was going to like superhot. I was pretty stoked for that game, but the actual implementation wasnt that great.

I'm saddened Nintendo isn't part of the pioneering. Missed opportunity there. But I'm going to wait it out and see which HMD has the least issues with the best price.

I think they said something along the lines of "when VR is ready [for mass-market, i.e. cheaper to produce], we'll be there". They're not the company at the bleeding edge of technology.

inky

I'm gonna wait for some games and hopefully being able to try them out before making that decision. It has to work on PC tho.

hodgy100

Morpheus for sure. Going by report the simple sony demos are a lot better thsn you can find anywhere else. Plus it will get all the big vr projects as almost all are already announce.

But the biggest reason is it will be a fix spec. Unlike the other vr that will likely be update at least yearly. It will be very unlikely sony will update the vr tech until ps5. So buying morpheus you are set for years.

This is a huge CON not a plus. anyway even if sony release a new morpheus yearly it doesnt mean the old ones will become incompatible with new games, jsut that the newer headsets offer a better experience.

Hari Seldon

I think they said something along the lines of "when VR is ready [for mass-market, i.e. cheaper to produce], we'll be there". They're not the company at the bleeding edge of technology.

They would have to pump out a new console to even get in the space. Probably why MS is totally skipping VR and going straight to AR. PS4 is just barely enough.

Tain

Too early to pick between Rift and Vive. Morpheus seems like a clear third, though.

Bring 'em all on.

Too early to say. Oculus and VIVE I guess since that's where I'm expecting the most support.

Morpheus is on the radar, just to see how the console market it treated and reacts to it.

ido

Yes, I tried occulus at the last three pax primes. Most recently played superhot twice.

Sounds like you used a DK2, then.

I'm sorry you think it is a fad, though. I really don't. I hope that when these consumer models come out, you will give them a try and possibly be open to changing your mind!

Megatron

Sounds like you used a DK2, then.

I'm sorry you think it is a fad, though. I really don't. I hope that when these consumer models come out, you will give them a try and possibly be open to changing your mind!

I am sure I will, once a must have game comes out, because I am weak and buy all gaming hardware. But right now I feel like it has a long way to go.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Certainly for some areas a PC solution like Oculus Rift is industry leading, but no one is currently industry leading in all 5 areas. At this point, Sony seems to be ahead when you add up all 5 areas. This could easily change in the future, but we will have to wait and see.

I don't follow your math: best in half of a category= best overall while best in some areas is nothing.

EVIL

Oculus Rift for the possible better hardware and specs.
HTC Vive for the tracking solution that according to people trying it, is the best yet. 15 x 15 ft of walking and interacting space is a pretty sweet deal and opens allot more gameplay variation then the sitting arrangement of the Oculus Rift.

abracadaver

Oculus for me - it seems to be focused on to deliver the best VR experience you can get and they want to sell it really cheap

Vive is lower resolution than Oculus already and it will probably be expensive because its made by HTC

Top Bottom