• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the most famous sports person of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviyoung

Banned
I'd be interested in a list of most popular teams as well. Is there a standout soccer club that garners fans from other parts of Europe than where they're located? Sort of like there being Dallas Cowboy fans everywhere in the US.

Manchester United has way more fans outside of Europe than it has in it, let alone fans from Manchester

I'm not trolling. I know nothing about Jordan other than the fact he is a basketball player. I probably wouldn't recognise him in the street.

But the fact is you know he's a basketball player to even start with. What if I was you who was Pete Carroll is? What profession is he in? Is he a plumber? Electrician? Football player? Football coach? Football general manager? Soccer player? Accountant? CEO of Disney?

Even if people don't know what Jordan looks like they know he's the basketball player.

I'd be interested in a list of most popular teams as well. Is there a standout soccer club that garners fans from other parts of Europe than where they're located? Sort of like there being Dallas Cowboy fans everywhere in the US.

manchester united
real madrid
barcelona fc

these 3 are the most popular teams on the planet. people travel to their stadiums from across europe/asia to watch them play

But the fact is you know he's a basketball player to even start with. What if I was you who was Pete Carroll is? What profession is he in? Is he a plumber? Electrician? Football player? Football coach? Football general manager? Soccer player? Accountant? CEO of Disney?

Even if people don't know what Jordan looks like they know he's the basketball player.

Dont bother reasoning with him. He thought OJ Simpson was a basketball player.

Mdot

Manchester United has way more fans outside of Europe than it has in it

Interesting. What about a club like FC Barcelona? I would think with Messi, Naymar and Suarez, they'd be up there.

Edit: HateGames answered this basically. Thanks.

Do fans in Europe know of teams here like the Cowboys, Yankees, etc? I assume the lack of popularity in their sport alone doesn't make them as notable.

Moze

Banned

Man United, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Man United are a pretty dog shit team though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's Pele or Maradona. Nobody outside the United States plays any of the sports in the United States so it's hardly likely to be Jordan.

Dont bother reasoning with him. He thought OJ Simpson was a basketball player.

That's exactly my point. A lot of people who don't watch or care for sports can't even tell you what X person does in sports. At least with Michael Jordan just the fact of hearing his name a lot of people already know oh that's the basketball guy, even though they have 0 clue who he played for, when he played or what he looks like. But they know he's the basketball guy on the shoe.

daviyoung

Banned
Do fans in Europe know of teams here like the Cowboys, Yankees, etc? I assume the lack of popularity in their sport alone doesn't make them as notable.

The UK tries to get into the Superbowl spirit every year but it's usually just marketing from various news/entertainment channels than anything real.

There are fans of American Football here but it's niche compared to many other sports, and the names of those teams are largely unknown.

Danchi

Everything we know comes from the Simpsons...

onFDllH.gif

i know of newyork yankees purely because of the caps though, they sell like crazy over here in uk and are very popular amongst teenagers

daviyoung

Banned
Jimmy White's name appears on 2 games, while Michael Jordan's only appears on 1

Jimmy White is more famous than Michael Jordan

Addi

Interesting. What about a club like FC Barcelona? I would think with Messi, Naymar and Suarez, they'd be up there.

Edit: HateGames answered this basically. Thanks.

We know New York Yankees here in Scandinavia because of the logo (the one in your avatar). People wear caps with it, and the LA one. Their basically just brands here. An american friend was baffled seeing it when he was visiting "What the hell? Why are they wearing Yankee caps without being from New York or knowing what the Yankees are?"

Does the Adidas Stan Smith shoe being one of the best selling of all time make Stan Smith a top 3 famous sports person of all time? Does anybody in this thread even know who Stan Smith is? People who buy Jordan shoes really do not care about Jordan. Jordan is just a puppet for Nike and their amazing advertising.

Stupid analogy. Jordan Brand is a multibillion dollar brand by itself. How much is the Stan Smith brand worth? How many shoes or articles of apparel have been sold with his name and his image?

Nike pays Jordan 70-80 million a year. He doesn't have to play, all he literally has to do is just be himself and occasionally make photo ops when the new numbered Jordan sneaker drops every year. Why would Nike pay him so much if no one cared who he is?

Moze

Banned
Stupid analogy. Jordan Brand is a multibillion dollar brand by itself. How much is the Stan Smith brand worth? How many shoes or articles of apparel have been sold with his name and his image?

Nike pays Jordan 70-80 million a year. He doesn't have to play, all he literally has to do is just be himself and occasionally make photo ops when the new numbered Jordan sneaker drops every year. Why would Nike pay him so much if no one cared who he is?

People do know who Jordan is. None of them live outside the US though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Someone said Tim Henman?

Dude never even REACHED a Grand Slam final... let alone won one (which you can't when you don't even get to the final, derp).

BTW, you do realize Google search results go off your history of what you've searched and are also location based? What I type "TIM" I don't get Henman at all.

Danchi

Someone said Tim Henman?

Dude never even REACHED a Grand Slam final... let alone won one (which you can't when you don't even get to the final, derp).

BTW, you do realize Google search results go off your history of what you've searched and are also location based? What I type "TIM" I don't get Henman at all.

There must be something wrong with your machine.

Remember that Henman does commentary as well now.

massoluk

Banned
Who knows of Jordan? I don't know who he is.

I wouldn't even put basketball in the top 5 sports worldwide.

Too bad for you, Basketball is arguably the 3rd most popular sport worldwide. Just about every school in Thailand (and I bet most of other East/South East Asia) has Basketball court. Saying Basketball is less popular than Football isn't useful at all. Nothing is more popular than number 1 most popular sport in the world? What do people follow? Again, the shit people watch are either European Football or NBA, you don't have to guess, I lived it.

Laieon

As someone who doesn't really watch sports, from the list on the 1st post I recognize: Jordan, Ali, Pele, Beckham, Tiger Woods, Ronaldo, Tyson, Messi, Gretzky, and Babe Ruth.

If you were to show me a picture of them though, I would only be able to recognize Jordan, Tiger Woods, Tyson, and maybe Ali.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Too bad for you, Basketball is arguably the 3rd most popular sport worldwide. Just about every school in Thailand (and I bet most of other East/South East Asia) has Basketball court. Saying Basketball is less popular than Football isn't useful at all. Nothing is more popular than number 1 most popular sport in the world? What do people follow? Again, the shit people watch are either European Football or NBA, you don't have to guess, I lived it.

Every school has a badminton court and ping pong table as well, but that doesn't mean people watch the actual games or know the players. See we can turn this argument the way anyone wants.

If the football fans could also realize that there is a difference between playing/watching/awareness. Basketball might not be the most played sport in some parts of the world but everyone is still aware of it. And I know in NZ there are a lot of people who will watch basketball who don't play the sport.

I was actually under the impression that Basketball was bigger than Soccer in China, don't know if that's accurate, would be interesting to see some figures.

I think the thing with soccer is you have Beckham and Christiano Ronaldo who are the two most famous figures, and then you have the likes of Pele/Messi etc who are probably better players but less well known to the actual public. People who don't know football are less likely to have heard of Messi than of C Ronaldo. The thing with Jordan is that not only is he historically great (and therefore going to be remembered) but he's also extremely famous and has a powerful brand.

Jaffaboy

Gretzky
Babe Ruth
Tendulkar

I don't know these people. (UK)

Schumacher is probably a good contender, if you believe F1 is a sport.

massoluk

Banned
Every school has a badminton court and ping pong table as well, but that doesn't mean people watch the actual games or know the players. See we can turn this argument the way anyone wants.

Nope, my school didn't have badminton court and ping pong table.

Gretzky
Babe Ruth
Tendulkar

I don't know these people. (UK)

Schumacher is probably a good contender, if you believe F1 is a sport.

Tendulkar is a bit unique because pretty much nobody knows about him unless they follow cricket or sports. Outside of India. He is the opposite of Jordan. Jordan is known by people who don't care about basketball, Tendulkar only by people who know Cricket (all 1 billion of them).

Schumacher is not a contender. I would be shocked if he was popular in Asia/Africa/Middle East. I'm aware F1 has international courses like Singapore but I'd bet almost all of his fanbase is in Europe with people in other English speaking countries only having some awareness of him.

Moze

Banned

Golf, Cricket and Tennis are all bigger than basketball.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If the football fans could also realize that there is a difference between playing/watching/awareness. Basketball might not be the most played sport in some parts of the world but everyone is still aware of it. And I know in NZ there are a lot of people who will watch basketball who don't play the sport.

I was actually under the impression that Basketball was bigger than Soccer in China, don't know if that's accurate, would be interesting to see some figures.

I think the thing with soccer is you have Beckham and Christiano Ronaldo who are the two most famous figures, and then you have the likes of Pele/Messi etc who are probably better players but less well known to the actual public. People who don't know football are less likely to have heard of Messi than of C Ronaldo. The thing with Jordan is that not only is he historically great (and therefore going to be remembered) but he's also extremely famous and has a powerful brand.

What actual public are you talking about here?

If someone is even remotely interested in football then the first thing that comes is Messi/CR7. There are no two ways about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom