• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harris Poll results: Greatest Sports Stars of All-Time 2015 edition - Jordan still #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

This is delusional.

Everyone outside of Boston hates Brady and the Patriots.

He is forever tainted as a cheater and a bitch.

I'm from NY, and I can say that Brady is absolutely the better of the two.

And if Brady is a cheater, where does Peyton 'HGH you taste so good' Manning fit into the Hall of Cheaters now?

BadAss2961

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to get at here. He doesn't play PG because that's not his position and it's not how he is best used. And I said he was one of the best passers in NBA history and you responded with Magic, who might be THE best passer in history. The comparison alone says a lot since Magic is considered one of the best 10 players of all time and passing is probably the single area that LeBron might not be as good as him at.

I don't get the coasting thing either - LeBron has probably taken on more wear and tear over the first 12 years of his career than any player in league history, in terms of minutes and responsibility.

I think LeBron would be a league average or better defender on every single player in the NBA. There are like two dominant real bigs in the NBA today, and they aren't exactly Shaq and Hakeem.

You know who else needs help with athletic PGs like Westbrook? Every player in the NBA.
I only compared LeBron to Magic because of size, with Magic being a tall ass PG and all. Outside the fastbreak, LeBron's never been the most active off the ball. So if he was truly an elite passer I think he'd play PG and defend the 3 or the 2, or would've least averaged a 10 assist season by now considering how much he takes over those responsibilities. But he's never come close to that despite the "elite PG if he wanted to be" rep.

And yeah, LeBron's a good defender with his size and athleticism, but pretending he's a shutdown guy or someone who could consistently defend any position is overstating it.

bionic77

This is the same America that votes for Trump.
Agreed.

Americans are morons.

We are going to vote a fascist in to be President of the country and we can make a list of top 10 sports stars of all time without Tim Tebow, Cedric Ceballos and Tommy Maddox. Tebow won with his faith. Ced was so good he could play blindfolded. And Tommy Maddox is the only football player to retire from competitive play as someone who will remain champ for all time.

America sucks.

bionic77

I'm from NY, and I can say that Brady is absolutely the better of the two.

And if Brady is a cheater, where does Peyton 'HGH you taste so good' Manning fit into the Hall of Cheaters now?
The HGH was for his wife.

Also Peyton is the most unathletic qb of all time. Beyond that I never saw anything suspicious from him like having a freakishly large head. Oh wait...

Ralemont

not me
I only compared LeBron to Magic because of size, with Magic being a tall ass PG and all. Outside the fastbreak, LeBron's never been the most active off the ball. So if he was truly an elite passer I think he'd play PG and defend the 3 or the 2, or would've least averaged a 10 assist season by now considering how much he takes over those responsibilities. But he's never come close to that despite the "elite PG if he wanted to be" rep.

And yeah, LeBron's a good defender with his size and athleticism, but pretending he's a shutdown guy or someone who could consistently defend any position is overstating it.

He was a shutdown guy in his prime. Derrick Rose disappeared in the 2013 ECF when LeBron was put on him.

Ralemont

not me
LeBron with 4 dudes in the paint shutdown D.Rose. His size is a problem around the perimeter, but he can't stay with a guy like that.

Well, yeah. Defense is a team thing and all, doesn't stop that one guy with unique skills can totally change the way you defend a team. I wouldn't put LeBron in the same category as Kawhi, but versatility is so important, especially in today's metagame.

FTF

I am having flashbacks to David Gerrard limping his way to a huge run at the end of the game to put us away after Ben brought us back from like 20 down in the 4th.

I have a real bad feeling about this. :(

Stay positive and think happy thoughts like Rey and TFA...and before you know it it'll be the championship game in Foxboro!

mdubs

Banned
Bobby Orr. But that was a different time and Gretzky did it longer.

It would be an interesting conversation if Bobby had stayed healthy, it's really too bad. But as good as Bobby was, I think the longevity of Gretzky's domination separates them (plus the 50 or so scoring records which are so hilariously beyond everyone else).

Also for the poster who talked about Steve Yzerman as better, it's worth noting that he had 155 points as his high in a season. Gretzky had 163 assists alone in a single season.

bionic77

Stay positive and think happy thoughts like Rey and TFA...and before you know it it'll be the championship game in Foxboro!
I think Steelers have a better chance of winning that game than the Broncos do.

Especially if we have a healthy Williams.

I have wondered if the Pats tanked to avoid playing us in round 2. I have never seen the Pats tank but with them you never can tell*.

* Because they are cheating scumbags without any morals or scruples who will lie, cheat and murder to get the slightest edge over anyone.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yeah, that Gretzky comment was one of the most uninformed things I have ever read on here. Wow. He's rated too low as well, he really is one of the most exceptional athletes of all time in any sport.

Another chap left off the list (though I can see why, with it having an American bias) is cricket's Don Bradman. I don't even like cricket and his record is mind-blowing. By far the best cricketer of all time. If the list is about "athletes who surpassed anyone else in their sport" he would be in the top 5 easily. He was literally 50% better than any other hall of fame cricketer.

"Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport."

The rest of the top 10 ranges from 57.40 to 60.97. His is 99.94.

Loris146

Real Ronaldo gets no respect. :(

The real football king.

1j3d2W.gif

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Yeah, that Gretzky comment was one of the most uninformed things I have ever read on here. Wow. He's rated too low as well, he really is one of the most exceptional athletes of all time in any sport.

Another chap left off the list (though I can see why, with it having an American bias) is cricket's Don Bradman. I don't even like cricket and his record is mind-blowing. By far the best cricketer of all time. If the list is about "athletes who surpassed anyone else in their sport" he would be in the top 5 easily. He was literally 50% better than any other hall of fame cricketer.

"Bradman's career Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport."

The rest of the top 10 ranges from 57.40 to 60.97. His is 99.94.

We had a similar thread a while back, and as someone who knew nothing about cricket, this dude's dominance of the sport is fucking insane.

BumRush

Jordan absolutely deserves the #1 spot. He dominated a great era of basketball on both ends or the floor and pushed his physical limits.

And I'm a Knicks fan :(

NeoSam

Neo Member
That soccer list is laughable, i mean David Beckham? and no Ronaldo or Muller or even Cruyff on that list is disgraceful.

Maxim726X

The HGH was for his wife.

Also Peyton is the most unathletic qb of all time. Beyond that I never saw anything suspicious from him like having a freakishly large head. Oh wait...

You... You don't actually believe that, do you?

He likely took it to help him heal from his injuries faster, which players have been doing for years now.

Shit, Peterson came back from a full ACL tear in less than a year. You think pixie dust gave him the power to do that? Unless

Unless you're being sarcastic. I can't even tell anymore... Someone tried to argue that Gretzky was overrated, so clearly anything is fair game.

Doesn't matter, Montana and Marino were better than both! ;P

Well, at least half of that statement may be accurate.

Pats won 11 games when Brady got hurt.

The Colts without Manning went 0-13.

And the Pats are cheaters. Their achievements count to me as much as Lance Armstrongs.

The Colts had shit talent when they tanked without Peyton. If Manning played and they made the playoffs, they'd probably have been eliminated in their first game.

Kiss the rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom