• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harris Poll results: Greatest Sports Stars of All-Time 2015 edition - Jordan still #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Weird to not have an actual hockey list...

APilBimYu2plvHmc0kwTGppfWn8mTipn8R60a95CEHU

Just a scorer who has 1000 more points than anyone else in NHL history. K.

Even with assists alone Gretzy is the points leader.

That's insane, man.

The two bolded being true seems so insane to me as an outsider (I don't watch Hockey) that it seems odd that anyone would challenge Gretsky as being the GOAT or near it for the sport. Im not sure how you can possibly overlook that sort of dominance.

mdubs

Banned
Here's my top 5 hockey list

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Bobby Orr
3. Gordie Howe
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Bobby Hull

Tenebrous

The two bolded being true seems so insane to me as an outsider (I don't watch Hockey) that it seems odd that anyone would challenge Gretsky as being the GOAT or near it for the sport. Im not sure how you can possibly overlook that sort of dominance.

I remember seeing a stat once. The Gretzky brothers have more points than any other siblings in history - Wayne's brother has like 5.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
At this point, Manning is definitively a lesser QB than Brady. I don't even think Manning winning the SB this year would change that. But I guess the Papa John's commercials must have raised his standings in the overall poll.

Depends on how much you consider playoff wins/championships. Because overall stats-wise, Peyton is a slightly better.

He also holds the record for holding the most records. He's called the great one for a reason. He was just head and shoulders above everyone else in the league.

snacknuts

we all knew her
At this point, Manning is definitively a lesser QB than Brady. I don't even think Manning winning the SB this year would change that. But I guess the Papa John's commercials must have raised his standings in the overall poll.

And also not being a dirty cheater.

Maxim726X

Depends on how much you consider playoff wins/championships. Because overall stats-wise, Peyton is a slightly better.

Peyton is the regular season GOAT.

Too bad there's this pesky thing called the 'playoffs', where he's now a sub .500 QB.

And is likely a dirtier cheater than Brady, as he likely used HGH.

Meier

Man. I obviously knew Wayne Gretzky was otherworldly good, but I didn't realize the difference was that pronounced. Really amazing to see those stats.

Mesousa

Banned
Why even have a soccer list when not a single one is in the top 10 is from the most popular sport on Earth? Its also terrible.

Acorn

Beckham above Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo plus no original Ronaldo or Zidane. Horrible horrible list.

Beckham above Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo plus no original Ronaldo or Zidane. Horrible horrible list.

Beckham is more a celebrity than soccer player over here.

Only one baseball player on the list is from the last 30 years, and that player is Pete Rose. Yeah, baseball has an image problem.

Anth0ny

the GOAT still the GOAT

lebron above wilt chamberlain is insulting, though. Also, Gretzky should be no lower than #4.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Pelé is not on Top 10 Overall? He scored 1281 goals ffs.
And the whole Soccer list is a disgrace.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Peyton is the regular season GOAT.

Too bad there's this pesky thing called the 'playoffs', where he's now a sub .500 QB.

And is likely a dirtier cheater than Brady, as he likely used HGH.

Eh, I don't think one player should get all of the credit for wins or losses, especially in football.

Couleurs

For every other person that is upset about (insert soccer player here) not making the top 10, just remember this is a poll of Americans who generally don't watch soccer, so obviously they are going to favor sports that are relevant to them.

In fact, that one Afghanistan sport where they drag headless goats on horseback has more of a following in the US than soccer does.

Pelé is not on Top 10 Overall? He scored 1281 goals ffs.
And the whole Soccer list is a disgrace.

Overall, soccer isn't a part of pop culture over here either. Average person might be able to recognize CR or DB from commercials but that's about it.

Congrats to Mr Space Jam

Soccer:

1. Pelé
2. Lionel Messi
3. David Beckham
4. Diego Maradona
5t. Mia Hamm
5t. Cristiano Ronaldo

Laughing myself silly over this though.

How are Beckham and Hamm there? Where are Cruyff, Best, Zidane, Fat Ronaldo, Beckenbauer, Moore...

I want to sub this thread just to read as many incredulous reactions as possible over how Americans see soccer.

Yes, I'm American, and I don't know shit about soccer.

DD-11

Gretzky was so good, so much better than anyone before or since. You could make the argument that he should be at the top of that list or at least top three.

The dissenting comments on this thread are born out of the same ignorance that has the great one at #10.

Gretzky was so good, so much better than anyone before or since. You could make the argument that he should be at the top of that list or at least top three.

The dissenting comments on this thread are born out of the same ignorance that has the great one at #10.

Maybe if he was talented enough to play an American sport he'd be ranked higher.

Overall, soccer isn't a part of pop culture over here either. Average person might be able to recognize CR or DB from commercials but that's about it.

When I first played FIFA and I heard the announcer shout "messi, messi!" I thought he was critiquing their play and calling it "messy"

Ralemont

not me
LeBron #3 in basketball is a complete joke. Did these voters start watching the NBA in 2003?

Obviously not due to Wilt being so high, but that's also a very odd choice. Tellingly, if you ask people who played against Wilt what they think, they pretty much universally agree that he was a diva that padded his stats at the expense of actually trying to win. He used to throw shots at his own net just to get rebounds for double- and triple-doubles.

LeBron might get there before the end, but it's premature to be putting him in any Top 10 of all sports lists.

Blader

ok, compare Wayne's talents to stevie Y, outside of stats... who do you think was a better player his team. overall?

if the list is supposed to be the GOATs,... scoring a lot of points doesnt automatically make you king in my opinion, maybe im talking outside myself.
The point of the game is to score the most goals, you know.

Couleurs

I want to sub this thread just to read as many incredulous reactions as possible over how Americans see soccer.

Yes, I'm American, and I don't know shit about soccer.

"The top soccer players ever? Oh let's see, uhhh (5 minutes pass)
Oh I know, wasn't that one Spice Girl's husband a soccer player?
(5 more minutes)
Umm, that girl that took her shirt off like 20 years ago
(10 minutes pass)
Well that's all I got"

NYR

beyond his scoring abilities, he wasnt really that great of a player, he didnt have size, checking strength, his passing was ok, his skate speed was avg in my opinion... not an all around player... just a scorer.

ok passer...has more assists than anyone else has points, yep, ok passer.

So stupid. Seriously, worst hockey post I've ever on GAF, straight up moronic.

(5 more minutes)
(10 minutes pass)
Well that's all I got"

"I heard Hope Solo killed a guy."

NYR

ok, compare Wayne's talents to stevie Y, outside of stats... who do you think was a better player his team. overall?

Skip Bayless alt account confirmed. Straight up no substance dumb argument, and then asks you to prove him wrong.

Wow. The Great One at #10 feels a little wrong.

I always thought it was Jordan, Gretzky, Bo. That's what cartoons taught me as a kid.

spyder_ur

LeBron #3 in basketball is a complete joke. Did these voters start watching the NBA in 2003?

Obviously not due to Wilt, but that's also a very odd choice. Tellingly, if you ask people who played against Wilt what they think, they pretty much universally agree that he was a diva that padded his stats at the expense of actually trying to win.

LeBron might get there before the end, but it's premature to be putting him in any Top 10 of all sports lists.

LeBron's a top 5 player in my book if he retired today, and he's got a ton of story left to write. Perhaps a bit premature and there is definitely a recency bias with this survey, but not as much as you think. He's top 20 in points and assists right now and has 4 league MVPs and 6 finals appearances.

How can a choke artist like Peyton Manning even sniff the top 10? I wouldn't even put him in the top 10 of football players.

(5 more minutes)
(10 minutes pass)
Well that's all I got"

lol, makes sense, I legit know the few basketball players I do know from video games and space jam
Michael Jordan (Space Jam/ Jordan vs Bird)
Larry Bird (Jordan vs Bird)
Kobe Bryant (Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside)
Shaq(?) (Shaq-fu)
Charles Barkley (Barkley's shut up and jam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom