• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harris Poll results: Greatest Sports Stars of All-Time 2015 edition - Jordan still #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.theharrispoll.com/sports/Greatest-Sports-Stars-All-Time.html

NEW YORK, N.Y. – The debate is as legendary as the athletes themselves: who is the greatest sports star of all time? According to Americans who follow at least one sport, Michael Jordan is still #1 – maintaining his status at the top of the list. Babe Ruth rises from 3rd to 2nd place and Muhammad Ali moves up the ranks as well, from 4th to 3rd. New to the list – and Sports Illustrated’s 2015 Sportsperson of the Year – is tennis star Serena Williams, who comes in 4th. Rounding out the top five is quarterback Peyton Manning, who previously ranked 8th.

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll® of 2,368 general population U.S. adults, along with representative oversamples of 511 Hispanic Americans (interviewed in English and Spanish) and 179 Asian Americans (interviewed in English), surveyed online between September 9 and 17, 2015.

Quarterback Joe Montana holds steady in his spot at #6, while LeBron James makes the jump shot and moves up from 10th in 2009 to 7th. Meanwhile, landing in a sand trap, Tiger Woods sees a large drop from 2nd in 2009 to 8th. Tom Brady, another newbie on the list and another quarterback, places 9th, while hockey all-star Wayne Gretzky ranks 10th (previously 7th).

With a few new additions to the list, a few had to fall off. Brett Favre (previously ranked 5th), Ted Williams (previously tied for 8th) and Hank Williams (previously tied for 10th) all drop from the top 10.

Overall:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Babe Ruth
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Serena Williams
5. Peyton Manning
6. Joe Montana
7. LeBron James
8. Tiger Woods
9. Tom Brady
10. Wayne Gretzky

Baseball:

1. Babe Ruth
2. Hank Aaron
3. Mickey Mantle
4t. Willie Mays
4t. Ted Williams
4t. Pete Rose

Football:

1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning
4. Walter Payton
5. Jim Brown

Basketball:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. LeBron James
4. Bill Russell
5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Golf:

1. Tiger Woods
2. Arnold Palmer
3. Jack Nicklaus
4t. Phil Mickelson
4t. Ben Hogan

Tennis:

1. Serena Williams
2. Roger Federer
3. Pete Sampras
4. Arthur Ashe
5. Venus Williams

Soccer:

1. Pelé
2. Lionel Messi
3. David Beckham
4. Diego Maradona
5t. Mia Hamm
5t. Cristiano Ronaldo

The only truly surprising thing here, at first glance, is Pete Rose.

I feel like almost everyone I know thinks he's a bit of a dirtbag (and a good player, but not on the scale of a Mantle or Koufax).

zarggat

Banned
i never will understand Gretzky being God's guft to hockey. when i watch his hay days... the goalies back then seemed so out of touch compared to today, its like it was no challenge to him when he scored.

and hell yes, montana over brady any day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
i never will understand Gretzky being God's guft to hockey. when i watch his hay days... the goalies back then seemed so out of touch compared to today, its like it was no challenge to him when he scored.

Yep, that is why everybody back then scored like Gretzky.

Probably why he is on the list.

lol at Ronaldo and Mia Hamm being tied. Ronaldo just keeps taking those L's.

zarggat

Banned
Yep, that is why everybody back then scored like Gretzky.

beyond his scoring abilities, he wasnt really that great of a player, he didnt have size, checking strength, his passing was ok, his skate speed was avg in my opinion... not an all around player... just a scorer.

Dragon

Banned
Weird to not have an actual hockey list...

beyond his scoring abilities, he wasnt really that great of a player, he didnt have size, checking strength, his passing was ok, his skate speed was avg in my opinion... not an all around player... just a scorer.

APilBimYu2plvHmc0kwTGppfWn8mTipn8R60a95CEHU

Just a scorer who has 1000 more points than anyone else in NHL history. K.

entremet

and hell yes, montana over brady any day.
Even with assists alone Gretzy is the points leader.

That's insane, man.

mdubs

Banned
Gretzky below Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, wutttttttttttt

This is insane. Scoring wins games and this guy has more ASSISTS than any other player has had points and holds pretty much every meaningful scoring record.

Maxim726X

.... What in the name of Jesus are you talking about??

How does a guy rack up nearly 2000 assists in a career if he's just a great scorer?

Umm, pretty sure he had 163 assists in his best season. I think you need to have better than "ok" passing abilities to achieve that.

zarggat

Banned
Weird to not have an actual hockey list...

APilBimYu2plvHmc0kwTGppfWn8mTipn8R60a95CEHU

Just a scorer who has 1000 more points than anyone else in NHL history. K.

ok, compare Wayne's talents to stevie Y, outside of stats... who do you think was a better player his team. overall?

if the list is supposed to be the GOATs,... scoring a lot of points doesnt automatically make you king in my opinion, maybe im talking outside myself.

Dragon

Banned
ok, compare Wayne's talents to stevie Y, outside of stats... who do you think was a better player his team. overall?

if the list is supposed to be the GOATs,... scoring a lot of points doesnt automatically make you king in my opinion, maybe im talking outside myself.

Is this some sort of Derek Jeter "intangibles" argument or something? I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Maxim726X

You're certainly talking out of something. Something that produces poop.

The guy *averaged* over 1.3 assists a GAME. And he's just a scorer?

On what planet does that analysis make any sense?

None of the baseball players on the list have played in nearly 30 years. Kind of interesting.

Trout will be on that list at the end of his career if he stays healthy... Steroids have also changed the way we look at a lot of modern day players, as well.

*puts tin foil hat on*

the NHL wanted their own Jordan for the NHL and the owners decided that Gretzky the god would be the face of the NHL ;p

Jordan the god, everyone knew and still knows Jordan

snacknuts

we all knew her
Overall:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Babe Ruth
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Serena Williams
5. Peyton Manning
6. Joe Montana
7. LeBron James
8. Tiger Woods
9. Tom Brady
10. Wayne Gretzky

Football:

1. Joe Montana
2. Tom Brady
3. Peyton Manning

4. Walter Payton
5. Jim Brown

Manning over Brady in the overall category (where he belongs). Brady over Manning in the football category. Wat.

Jag

How is Brady over Manning in Football, but Manning is over Brady in Overall?

Edit: Dammit snacknuts!

Edit edit: I would put Brady over Manning as well. Hell, he may be QB GOAT by the time he retires. And I'm not a Patriots fan.

Records:

Most career assists: 1,963

Most assists in a season: 163

Fewest games to reach 1,000 points: 424

Most playoff assists in a career: 260

You have no idea what you're talking about.

knicks

So Wilt Chamberlain is #2 on the basketball list before LeBron and after Jordan, but LeBron is on the overall, where Wilt isn't?

I mean these lists are stupid and don't mean anything, but what kind of error is that?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Manning over Brady in the overall category (where he belongs). Brady over Manning in the football category. Wat.

How is Brady over Manning in Football, but Manning is over Brady in Overall?

Edit: Dammit snacknuts!

Overall list poll was based off of "all adults who follow at least one sport" whereas the football specific one was "all adults who follow football."

spyder_ur

It's actually not as bad of a list as I would have guessed, even with the recency bias.

I don't really get why Brady is above Manning on the football list but lower on the overall list. In fact all of the QBS are messed up. And who the heck is putting Manning above Brady at all at this point.

Very few differences exist among the regions, with all saying Babe Ruth is 2nd on their list while Muhammad Ali is 3rd. However, the Midwest offers up Aaron Rogers as a 3rd place tie.

Silly fly-over states.

Also, terrible typo.

G.ZZZ

That soccer list is a disgrace. Pelè higher than Maradona please no. I love the man but the game that he played was uncomparable to when Maradona played. Only Ronaldo (the original one) gave me a similar feel in term of how easy he found playing this game compared to Maradona, and vs actually modern football players who ran all the 90 minutes. Messi and C. Ronaldo may be winning everything on the local stage, but unless they win a world/euro cup they still are way below in term of being decisive for their teams.

Tenebrous

Venus Williams at #5 on the tennis list is a bit ridiculous given how many more accomplished & decorated female (and male) tennis players there are, but that's just my opinion.

That soccer list is a disgrace. Pelè higher than Maradona please no. I love the man but the game that he played was uncomparable to when Maradona played. Only Ronaldo (the original one) gave me a similar feel in term of how easy he found playing this game compared to Maradona. Messi and C. Ronaldo may win everything on the local stage, but unless they win a world/euro cup they still are way below in term of being decisive for their teams.

Americans know nothing about soccer. Beckham was never even the third best player in his club team, never mind in the history of the sport.

OSHAN

What the fuck am I reading?

inky

That soccer list is a disgrace. Pelè higher than Maradona please no. I love the man but the game that he played was uncomparable to when Maradona played. Only Ronaldo (the original one) gave me a similar feel in term of how easy he found playing this game compared to Maradona, and vs actually modern football players who ran all the 90 minutes. Messi and C. Ronaldo may be winning everything on the local stage, but unless they win a world/euro cup they still are way below in term of being decisive for their teams.

Beckham being there should tell you everything. And I love Becks and think he was even underrated in football circles due to the media attention he got.

This is not the list to make that fight bro.

idlewild_

So Wilt Chamberlain is #2 on the basketball list before LeBron and after Jordan, but LeBron is on the overall, where Wilt isn't?

I mean these lists are stupid and don't mean anything, but what kind of error is that?

The specific sports tables are from separate questions, not derived from the overall results.

entremet

How much of Pele's play was televised, at least in his prime?

I remember that being a huge issue with Pele and ranking him properly.

braves01

Banned
At this point, Manning is definitively a lesser QB than Brady. I don't even think Manning winning the SB this year would change that. But I guess the Papa John's commercials must have raised his standings in the overall poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom