• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's the Jack Kirby for fighting games?

OSHAN

bc2e3c997f7e5e03ce737c7d7936e45c--street-fighter-characters-v-games.jpg

I know, or I believe anyway, Akiman created Chun-Li. I have no idea if he created characters other than Chun-Li, though.

Fighting game characters are some of the most recognizable in gaming. Exceptional designs that have lasted decades. Considering so many characters were created in such a small window of time, I was wondering who's responsible for all these wonderful characters.

I'm not talking about a take on a character; I'm talking about the creator of the character. Did the same person who created Iori Yagami create Kyo Kusanagi? Terry Bogard and Geese Howard? Andy and Mai? The Samurai Shodown cast; Last Blade; Street Fighter; Tekken; VF; SoulCal... who should I be thanking?

danmaku

You can thank Daisuke Ishiwatari for the awesome cast of Guilty Gear games (and he also wrote the soundtrack!).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Akiman did a bunch of the original cast in SF III as well, I think Daigo created Makoto. Irs a little hard with Capcom stuff as their internal team (CMYK, Bengus etc) are pretty tight lipped with info and it tends to be a highly collaborative process

OSHAN

You can thank Daisuke Ishiwatari for the awesome cast of Guilty Gear games (and he also wrote the soundtrack!).

That's some good shit right there.

I was just poking around online to see what I could find out, and for whatever reason it is hard to find the actual creator for these characters. I don't really get the secrecy. It takes a moment to find out who created a comic character.

Top Bottom