• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Apple computers so expensive/overpriced?

David B

An Idiot
I just did a big comparison of price per part on bestbuy and you can buy a similar or much better PC for $200 to $500 less than a Mac computer! I compared macbook pros to laptop PCs, and I also did Mac Mini vs PC as well as iMac vs PC all in ones. On the PC side you get the same amount of CPU cores 8, you get more ram 12 or 16GB, and you get more SSD space 512GB to 1TB and it's still like $300 less! So you get the same amount of CPU cores, more ram, more SSD space, and it's anything from $500 to $200 less! OMG I can't believe I didn't see this until now! And even more you don't get any USB-A 3.0 on Macs anymore other than the Mac Mini M1. So you have to buy these stupid USB-C to USB-A adapters for the iMac and macbooks! Apple over charges as you get way less and pay more. With PC your pay less and get more! OMFG! Why didn't I see this before?

Reallink

I just did a big comparison of price per part on bestbuy and you can buy a similar or much better PC for $200 to $500 less than a Mac computer! I compared macbook pros to laptop PCs, and I also did Mac Mini vs PC as well as iMac vs PC all in ones. On the PC side you get the same amount of CPU cores 8, you get more ram 12 or 16GB, and you get more SSD space 512GB to 1TB and it's still like $300 less! So you get the same amount of CPU cores, more ram, more SSD space, and it's anything from $500 to $200 less! OMG I can't believe I didn't see this until now! And even more you don't get any USB-A 3.0 on Macs anymore other than the Mac Mini M1. So you have to buy these stupid USB-C to USB-A adapters for the iMac and macbooks! Apple over charges as you get way less and pay more. With PC your pay less and get more! OMFG! Why didn't I see this before?
Prior to Apple building their own chips, it was nothing but sheeple buying into the branding and ecosystem. Now though, their mobile chips actually are quite a bit better than everyone elses and they can reasonably/justifiably charge more for it. On the other hand, you trade off a lot of utility walling yourself into the Mac ecosystem.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
- Brand loyalty is a powerful thing

- Many Apple products are engineered in ways that make them slightly better feeling than competing products, slightly more useable, and attractive and elegant and consistent in design

I will probably always use an iPhone and iPad for the rest of my life because they are, IMO, hands down the absolute best phone and tablet around. This includes not just the product themselves, but how carefree and brain dead easy they are to use and how all of their ancillary services "just work" and integrate effortlessly.

The Macbook though? No thanks. It was one of the worst computing experiences I ever had trying to switch from Windows to Mac for work. And my expensive Macbook Pro was the only laptop, of literally dozens I have used throughout college and later work life across numerous vocations, to have failed. And it failed in a sorry way - given how Apple engineers their computers, it's possible for simple firmware issues to render something incapable of merely charging. And it can't be fixed by reinstalling the firmware and OS. It needs to be replaced by Apple.

I had two replacements from Apple in two years. All fucking three had the same issue.

Their mobile division: awesome. Their PC division: absolute cock.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Prior to Apple building their own chips, it was nothing but sheeple buying into the branding and ecosystem. Now though, their mobile chips actually are quite a bit better than everyone elses and they can reasonably/justifiably charge more for it. On the other hand, you trade off a lot of utility walling yourself into the Mac ecosystem.
Wrong.

People buy Apple devices due to seemless integration across your phone, computer and tablet. Also great design.

And you don’t trade it litote at all, vast majority of people have all software their need on a Mac, a lot of it optimised for M chips now.

Last edited:

Konnor

Because Apple is not a tech company, it's a fashion company targeting pretentious hipsters and idiots that want to show off their expensive piece of plastic. It's the reason why Apple has such a gargantuan marketing budget, like all fashion companies its reputation isn't organic at all and was manufactured through billions upon billions of spending in marketing bullshit and brainwashing. I bet at least 95% of Apple users have no idea what they're buying spec-wise, they know the bullshit marketing terms at best, how big the hdd is and that's it.

Cyberpunkd

Because Apple is not a tech company, it's a fashion company targeting pretentious hipsters and idiots that want to show off their expensive piece of plastic. It's the reason why Apple has such a gargantuan marketing budget, like all fashion companies its reputation isn't organic at all and was manufactured through billions upon billions of spending in marketing bullshit and brainwashing. I bet at least 95% of Apple users have no idea what they're buying spec-wise, they know the bullshit marketing terms at best, how big the hdd is and that's it.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

David B

An Idiot
- Brand loyalty is a powerful thing

- Many Apple products are engineered in ways that make them slightly better feeling than competing products, slightly more useable, and attractive and elegant and consistent in design

I will probably always use an iPhone and iPad for the rest of my life because they are, IMO, hands down the absolute best phone and tablet around. This includes not just the product themselves, but how carefree and brain dead easy they are to use and how all of their ancillary services "just work" and integrate effortlessly.

The Macbook though? No thanks. It was one of the worst computing experiences I ever had trying to switch from Windows to Mac for work. And my expensive Macbook Pro was the only laptop, of literally dozens I have used throughout college and later work life across numerous vocations, to have failed. And it failed in a sorry way - given how Apple engineers their computers, it's possible for simple firmware issues to render something incapable of merely charging. And it can't be fixed by reinstalling the firmware and OS. It needs to be replaced by Apple.

I had two replacements from Apple in two years. All fucking three had the same issue.

Their mobile division: awesome. Their PC division: absolute cock.
Yeah I have read a few other posts on other forum websites like this one that that new Macbook Pros with M1, M1 Max, and the M1 Ultra do the same. They work for a year or so and than break down. Either it's just needs a new battery, or the inside parts are screwed up and need a big apple charge for them to fix it in there store. I also read another person saying I don't even run much applications yet my Macbook pro is already getting slow as hell. She had over 20 replies and she said she tried all of there help and the macbook pro is still going slow for no reason.

Konnor

I used Apple products for the past 10 years with not a single issue. On the other hand my Galaxy Note 4 had a bloated battery after 3 months. Anecdotal evidence is a funny thing.

Apple hardware quality is mediocre but what's really terrible and exploitative is their customer service that usually refuses to acknowledge their faulty products by blaming the customer and either asking them ridiculous prices to fix something or refusing to fix it outright and telling them to buy the new version of the product even when the problem is easily fixable with very low cost. Louis Rossman has an entire playlist with videos of Apple's disgusting practices and faulty products.

Last edited:
Several reasons.

Owning apple products has become a fashion statement, or a status symbol. A lot of people get macbook pro so they can show off in a starbucks. "yeah, I'm hip and I'm working my book!" Their marketing is like luxury fashion brand. Their marketing might say their upscale and designed for "productivity", but in reality they are aiming for people who want to look cool and pretend to be in it for "productivity."

They also have a closed ecosystem that is seamless across different apple devices, so once you used to it, you aren't getting out.

Cyberpunkd

If you care about what other people use, or even navigate an apple hate thread. I doubt your productivity. I promise you the people with enough time to hate on apple, aren’t really producing anything
Bingo. It might be a shock to people here, but truly productive people know what to do and what not to do.

What not to do?
Do endless benchmarks on dozens of components because you masturbate to tech specs.

What to do?
Buy a device that is nice, reliable, integrates with your other devices.

One and done, on to doing work.

Lasha

If you care about what other people use, or even navigate an apple hate thread. I doubt your productivity. I promise you the people with enough time to hate on apple, aren’t really producing anything

I once went out with some hometown friends on a visit back home. They were all in on bottle service and showing off their success. I got so much shit because I was the only one who didn't do well enough to have my own Rolex. I was wearing a Patek Philippe.

Apple is kinda for people who think like my friends. It's a luxury product for middle class people. I think Apple stuff looks good. I just don't buy it since there are cheaper alternatives. I definitely hate on people that act like buying apple says anything except "I spent this much ".

Konnor

Bingo. It might be a shock to people here, but truly productive people know what to do and what not to do.

What not to do?
Do endless benchmarks on dozens of components because you masturbate to tech specs.

What to do?

Oh no! Not benchmarks! If they do that they might risk buying something that is value for money. Disgusting!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

What not to do?

What to do?

I'm not really sure what your argument is, but:

- Technology doesn't conform to the desires or motivations of its users. It's just a product

- You're kind of proving people's points if you think it's OK for a device to fail because they do something as trivial as run benchmarks. Not that anyone here mentioned they did. But anyways, each component has its limits and if you think they should fail if people attempt to operate within those limits, well, you're severely uninformed about how any of this works

- No one is attacking you. Don't get angry. We're discussing a product. There's truly no reason to get emotional. You doing so is kind of proving others' points about certain Apple fans (I don't feel this way perse, but man, you're making it really easy for them)

- I've worked in enterprise IT and development for years. Am I not "productive"? And is using a computer for what it's meant to be used for not "productive"?

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Value for money is most certainly not subjective when it comes to the hardware you're buying.
Exactly man. You get so much more power for less money with PCs. More CPU cores, more ram, and more SSD space for less cost than an Apple Mac computer.

Cyberpunkd

- No one is attacking you. Don't get angry. We're discussing a product. There's truly no reason to get emotional. You doing so is kind of proving others' points about certain Apple fans (I don't feel this way perse, but man, you're making it really easy for them)
There are decades of scientific research showing decisions are made on an emotional level, and you use logic to try and rationalise your choice. Once in a while we get these threads where a user had an illumination and decides to bitch at Apple, while probably also having some premium equipment at home (sneakers, jeans, home cinema system), but that is ok. It’s just tiring. Not every thought is worth putting on paper.
Exactly man. You get so much more power for less money with PCs. More CPU cores, more ram, and more SSD space for less cost than an Apple Mac computer.
And yet Apple is one of the most valuable companies in the world, people are really dumb, right?

If people didn’t notice all PC manufacturers (Dell, Alienware) go for the same emotional spin Apple does. In fact I think Apple regressed a bit when they started with that giant screen of benchmarks and numbers in their keynotes, it was always the boring tools from Samsung that did that.

Liljagare

Never owned a apple device, but I have always seen the appeal.

Though, I am enjoying the same specifics by other solutions, it does take a little bit more work, but that is fine for me. Biggest issues for me is when Microcrap decides to release forced updates in the eco system, that is always fun. "Oh, your server set to never restart unless hung, will restart tonight to install our latest crap update!11!11!111!!!! (oh, and if you miss to click here, we will also reactivate all telemetry)". Doesn't happen that often, but often enough to be a annoyance.

David B

An Idiot

Though, I am enjoying the same specifics by other solutions, it does take a little bit more work, but that is fine for me. Biggest issues for me is when Microcrap decides to release forced updates in the eco system, that is always fun. "Oh, your server set to never restart unless hung, will restart tonight to install our latest crap update!11!11!111!!!! (oh, and if you miss to click here, we will also reactivate all telemetry)". Doesn't happen that often, but often enough to be a annoyance.
Updates are never an annoyance for me. I'm always looking for updates everyday and it goes you're up to date. It's like yup, one update a month, that's it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Brand and image has a cost.. And I say that as a former Apple fanboy. I will say though, some of their work in user experience has been good, and not the least their laptop trackpads at the time I abandoned ship was infinitely superior to anything else.

David B

An Idiot
Brand and image has a cost.. And I say that as a former Apple fanboy. I will say though, some of their work in user experience has been good, and not the least their laptop trackpads at the time I abandoned ship was infinitely superior to anything else.
I been buying Apple since they switched to intel. 2006 Mac Mini Intel core 2 duo was my first. But after so many years now I finally realized why in the hell pay more for less CPU, less ram, and less SSD space?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Though, I am enjoying the same specifics by other solutions, it does take a little bit more work, but that is fine for me. Biggest issues for me is when Microcrap decides to release forced updates in the eco system, that is always fun.

Like when I started working from home full time and Microsoft decided to release an update for Windows 10 that rendered my version of windows incompatible with Windows Virtual Desktop while using the Remote Desktop client. I was like great, now I have to use the browser-based client until you release a compatible Remote Desktop client.

It took them two months.

Or when they've released updates for our server environment that breaks things as fundamental as to how a NIC driver for a given Windows Server OS interacts with a port on a Cisco switch running <insert security feature here>. Or even a VMware ESXi edition (because WIndows virtual machines run within it - yes, Microsoft breaks shit that deep sometimes). Oh your server or hypervisor can no longer communicate with your $100,000 switch? Oh well. By the way this update can't be rolled back or worked around. And even though you pay us tens of thousands a year for support, we won't even engage our engineers for a few weeks. Have fun. - Love, Microsoft Enterprise Support

* yes I was being hyperbolic about the cost of switches, but some Cisco core or even distribution switches can get pricey as hell considering optional modules and service and support contracts

Last edited:

Scotracer

Neo Member
They never used to be "overpriced" as in, my 2017 Macbook Pro was roughly the same price as a similarly capable laptop, however, they have upped the prices recently with hte most to M1.

Years ago I asked my girlfriend the same question. She had just bought a Mac Book Pro for around £1200 and I'd bought a similar spec Windows laptop for a third of the price. I laughed in her silly face.

However, within a year my laptop had slowed down to a crawl and the keyboard had started to fall apart. Her Mac worked as if it was brand new. A friend of mine, and Mac enthusiast, said that the best thing about them is that they last forever. Unlike my girlfriend he was a man so I took him seriously.

I bought a Mac Book Pro in 2011 and it still works perfectly. A couple of years ago I replaced the hard drive with a 1tb SSD and I've needed one new power converter. Aside from that it's as it was when I bought it.

I've heard the build quality isn't what it used to be but they certainly used to build rock solid machines. I've dropped mine and spilt water on and yet it is still going strong.

Years ago I asked my girlfriend the same question. She had just bought a Mac Book Pro for around £1200 and I'd bought a similar spec Windows laptop for a third of the price. I laughed in her silly face.

However, within a year my laptop had slowed down to a crawl and the keyboard had started to fall apart. Her Mac worked as if it was brand new. A friend of mine, and Mac enthusiast, said that the best thing about them is that they last forever. Unlike my girlfriend he was a man so I took him seriously.

I bought a Mac Book Pro in 2011 and it still works perfectly. A couple of years ago I replaced the hard drive with a 1tb SSD and I've needed one new power converter. Aside from that it's as it was when I bought it.

I've heard the build quality isn't what it used to be but they certainly used to build rock solid machines. I've dropped mine and spilt water on and yet it is still going strong.
I've only owned one mac which was a MacBook (the first aluminium unibody design) from 2008-2012 so I had it exactly 4 years. That was a well built laptop. It was in and out of my backpack everyday, travelled a lot with it, and it was heavily used over those 4 years.

If i remember right the only cosmetic issues with it were marked screen from keys, chipped edges, maybe 1 or 2 broken keycaps, and a tiny crack on the hinge which still worked fine. it came with 2GB RAM and a 256GB hdd but i upgraded it to 8GB RAM with 1TB and put a new battery in after ~3 years. after 4 years it died on me, it wouldn't turn on at all. so i took it to the apple store and they said it was the motherboard so i had to pay something like £360 for a new one since it was out of warranty. got it back and it was working but after about 6 months it stopped charging. it could've been a faulty charger or battery but even then i was looking at £70 for a charger or about £100 for a new battery. i didn't bother going back to the apple store because i wasn't going to pay another £360, if it was the motherboard, which i'd rather just use on a cheap windows laptop.

There's a BIG gulch between producing nothing and doing nothing but producing. I produce spreadsheets for days on Windows in my day job and still find time to crap on Apple occasionally in my free time lol

I think Apple makes a fine-yet-overpriced product, personally

@Lasha It's a luxury product for middle class people

🔥

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
All I know is the iPhone and iPad remain incredibly easy to use, and I’ll happily continue to purchase them because they are better than the competition. Especially the tablet market.

Spaceman292

Banned
coz aple wonts mor moneee

Tams

Eh?

They have a slight premium price over similar products, but it's only really the cables, monitor stands, and wheels where they go insane. And, say what you will, they are well made.

And this is coming from someone who won't touch an Apple product anymore.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Apple hardware is solid. I’ve been using my MBAir since 2014. Battery life is like half what it was, which means it’s still easily double than any laptop PC’s under a grand. iPad has no competition in the tablet world.

Software-wise, it’s a different matter.
On the iPad Pro I’m typing this on, if Safari’s font size isn’t set to 100% (which is too small), our very NeoGAF goes bananas as soon as I’m trying to select a chunk of text when replying. Reason? Who knows. Solution? Same.
And when I got my MBAir, two minutes with Pages were enough to shut down the program forever and just install MS Word.
I don’t think we have to delve into iTunes and the disgrace it became even before Apple started selling music themselves. It completely transformed the way the iPod worked and the integration with iTunes. I’d never again use an Apple phone or tablet as a music player, because to have some control on what you’re doing beyond Apple Music streaming you need third-party apps that are better on Android anyway.

Apple stuff is good, but denying the company’s success is mostly thanks to clever advertising is denial.
And while their main products may still be worth the admission price (they could shave 10% to be honest), what they ask for accessories isn’t robbery just because a lot of people with more money than sense call it a luxury.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have my first Mac. It's a laptop / MacBook. It's from 2019, so pre-M1 chip. One thing I like about the laptop, despite it's more expensive cost, is the hardware. The frame / case is metal. Pretty rigid too. The screen is phenomenal as well.

Is it worth that much more? Ehh, by itself no.

When you add in the software, the proposition evens out a bit. If you are in the ecosystem, there are so many small nice little touches that add up. Being able to pick up my iPad and keep browsing the same sites. Having my text messages natively on my computer, without needing a 3rd party app. AirDrop, AirPlay both get used heavily. These nice touches make the cost worthwhile for me, so I will likely stick with MacOS as my primary going forward.

Windows is for work. My Gaming PC is also Windows, but now that I have a Steam Deck, I honestly probably won't upgrade my primary rig.

Of course, if money is your primary concern, then roll with Linux and get cheap hardware.

Whats the Apple equivalent of Excel? I was always curious.
Unusable in a business setting. It's the one major shortcoming in their free suite, but at least it's free with MacOS. I use my work license for office products on my Mac.

Unlike my girlfriend he was a man so I took him seriously.
Disney River GIF

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Apple hardware is solid. I’ve been using my MBAir since 2014. Battery life is like half what it was, which means it’s still easily double than any laptop PC’s under a grand. iPad has no competition in the tablet world.
Exactly. Windows laptops today have only just caught up to what Macbook Airs were doing back in like 2015 (ie 9-10 hours in real life, not bogus, usage).
Plus having a laptop that can functional normally with no fan is something you cannot truly appreciate until you have it and then don't. There are hardly any Windows laptops that have quiet fans and the ones that do are unlikely to be cheap anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom